German football is turd

GameOn

The German league is boring as feck. I prefer watching the Italian league over the German one.
Look, I like Serie A, too, but what's more interesting about the Serie A compared to the Bundesliga?

Juve literally won the league 9 times in a row. That's an even longer streak than Bayern winning the Bundesliga.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm trying to figure out what the point of this thread is. Is the OP upset about the Bundesliga for some reason? Did they p*ss in his CornFlakes? Personally, I don't really care how good the other teams in Germany are and don't feel a need to prove how good or how poor they may or may not be...

Classical Mechanic

I'm trying to figure out what the point of this thread is. Is the OP upset about the Bundesliga for some reason? Did they p*ss in his CornFlakes? Personally, I don't really care how good the other teams in Germany are and don't feel a need to prove how good or how poor they may or may not be...
This is nothing compared to the cheese wars in the best cuisine thread.

Lyricist

I feel he tried the classic handbag at the door steps with a German girl and it didn't go as planned. Which is weird, because most German girls would probably enjoy Caf humor. Maybe it was the execution?
He must've been looking for a way to get his revenge ever since and found this to be his golden opportunity. Bonus points if she was from Eastern Germany where Leipzig is located.

Thoughts and prayers for our boy with the agenda @TwoSheds

SAFMUTD

They are pretty much like the european MLS. Their games are really entertaining because there's lot of goals, defenses play so high up and almost every single team is ofensive. Its not very common to see teams parking the bus.

Thats why some players light the bundesliga up but fail to have the same impact on other leagues, I think Daniel James would thrive there will all the spaces given.

Lyricist

If Trump was an English football fan that always had a weird dislike for Germany instead of China, this could be his twitter feed. OP really has his "short offensive statements" on point.

When are we going to accept this truth? Bayern are the best team in world football, let's be clear about that. Dortmund and Leipzig are ok. The rest of the league is shit and make Dortmund and Leipzig look good. The French league is stronger than the German league, at what point does this become universally accepted?
There are lots of good players from the German league, but not many top class ones. Werner, Havertz, Brandt, Draxler, Upamecano, Konaté, Suele, Hummels etc - all the ones that got hyped, some of them are top 4 quality in the UK, but not really title winning quality. Exceptions outside of Bayern would be Haaland, Pulisic and maybe Sancho on a good day. Same goes for their managers outside of Klopp and Flick.
There are 8 better teams in the Prem than Leipzig and Dortmund.
The French league is much better than the German league outside of Bayern.
Thanks Kasper, much appreciated. Let me know if you need any extra facts about German football to make the case.
No way on earth English coaches like Sean Dyche or Chris Wilder would be seen dead setting up a defence like a German team. Absolutely atrocious defences that rely purely on natural talent of the players rather than organisation.
So basically what you're saying is Frankfurt, Monchengladbach and Leverkusen are all less good at defending than Saint-Etienne and Stade-Rennais. Sounds about right.
We're talking about the league, what's Europe got to do with this? The German league is laughably uncompetitive with many dreadful teams.
UEFA coefficients! :lol:

Better than Italy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: you so haven't watched any German league games. The defending! :lol:
:lol: what is wrong with you people, this is a thread celebrating how shit German defending is. What the feck has that got to do with Ole? I feel like anyone who talks about Ole in and Ole out needs to go and suck on a dummy until this season is over, you've all taken this Twitter thing way too far.
All of them would knock 6 past Augsburg! :lol:
Good [enough] for Germany maybe :lol:
You could try watching them play laughably bad football against each other?

Born2Lose

If Trump was an English football fan that always had a weird dislike for Germany instead of China, this could be his twitter feed. OP really has his "short offensive statements" on point.
You got far too much spare time dude.

rollingstoned1

So what about the allmighty PL, that was the laughing stock of European football from 2012-2017?

Some guys are so deluded, it's unbelievable. Like I already said, if we go by that logic then a Real, Bayern or Barca fan can rightfully ridicule every single PL club.

Just enjoy the game ffs and don't talk shit about any league that you probably don't even watch.
Leagues go through lulls Sherlock. Or is that some foreign concept for you ? Only the seeming decline of the pl is worth mentioning ? Even in that period the pl has more diverse cl winners than the bundesliga. It doesn't suit the general 'hipster' narrative but it's something to ponder.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
:lol:

For starters they wouldn't be able to handpick the best players from their number one title rivals for free because the PL isn't a joke that allows such league destroying crap.
Record transfers within Bundesliga:

1 Hummels from BVB to Bayern
2 Götze vom BVB to Bayern
3 Gomez VfB to Bayern

"for free"? That Bayern money kept BVB in Business.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Some fellows were arguing over which nation has the best cheese in the best cuisine thread. After much heated debate it was unanimously agreed that contrary to popular opinion England actually has the best cheese with an impressive volume of variety. As a Frenchman I’m sure you’ll agree.
I'm part English so that's fine, and I love English cheese, though I don't know enough about the variety probably. But as I love Roquefort almost enough to have sex with it, I dunno.

But for sure that conversation would have interested me more than this one on shit German football.

GameOn

Leagues go through lulls Sherlock. Or is that some foreign concept for you ? Only the seeming decline of the pl is worth mentioning ? Even in that period the pl has more diverse cl winners than the bundesliga. It doesn't suit the general 'hipster' narrative but it's something to ponder.
I suppose you're talking about "teams that won at least one CL game", because no PL club even reached a CL final during that span (11/12 season to 16/17 season).

You had City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, Tottenham and Leicester winning at least one CL game during that span.

For the Bundesliga Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Gladbach won at least one CL game during that span.

Hardly that much of a difference, but Bayern (obviously) and Dortmund were better than any PL team from 11/12 to 16/17.

Classical Mechanic

I'm part English so that's fine, and I love English cheese, though I don't know enough about the variety probably. But as I love Roquefort almost enough to have sex with it, I dunno.

But for sure that conversation would have interested me more than this one on shit German football.
You won’t be the first French man to stick his cock into a warm lump of Roquefort I’m sure.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Right - people responding to a poor, knee-jerk OP is unreasonable now? Those touchy Germans... (most posters here aren't even Germans)

OK, so could you explain one of those umpteen ways in which Dortmund could prevent a player whose contract is up at the end of the season from going wherever he wants afterwards? And/or prevent them from signing a pre-contract?

Personally, I can think of one: they could have refused to play Lewandowsky until he signed an extension or promised not to join Bayern. But Lewandowsky could have sat that out, especially once he had his pre-contract signed. That would only be Dortmund's loss: they would have had to pay his salary anyway but would not have gotten his input anymore. So that's no use. Any better ideas?
Yawn. So difficult to have a laugh these days. Those touchy posters...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm sorry but I don't have to explain how transfers in football work, and the fact that there are umpteen number of ways to prevent the kind of move we are talking about.
They tried. Lewandowski was dead set on Bayern. He rejected real madrid, manchester united and other top clubs, because he wanted Bayern. The only thing Dortmund could do, which is what they did, was keep him another year instead of selling him to Bayern right away

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You have literally no say in that. You can't force a transfer, it's not american sports footballers have to agree for a transfer. Lewa wasn't extending and Dortmund had no say in it.
What makes the argument so extra absurd is that of course, as everyone knows, BVB were desperately trying to sell Lewa anywhere but Bayern in summer of 2013.
He didn't want to go anywhere else as we had persuaded him to join, either buying him that summer, or signing him for free with a sizeable signing fee the summer after, so BVB decided to forsake the fee as they didn't want to sell to us, surely also because they were angry about the way they had lost/we had taken Götze (through activating the release clause, news of which then got leaked in midst of the season climax a few days before their Madrid semi...).
So really, the main objective of BVB in the whole saga was NOT to sell to Bayern, they sacrificed a sizeable transfer fee for that and they even gave Lewandowski a raise for his last contract year as a kind of placation or compensation.

Edit:
They tried. Lewandowski was dead set on Bayern. He rejected real madrid, manchester united and other top clubs, because he wanted Bayern. The only thing Dortmund could do, which is what they did, was keep him another year instead of selling him to Bayern right away
You beat me to it, and with much less unnecessary words...

Last edited:

rollingstoned1

I suppose you're talking about "teams that won at least one CL game", because no PL club even reached a CL final during that span (11/12 season to 16/17 season).

You had City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, Tottenham and Leicester winning at least one CL game during that span.

For the Bundesliga Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Gladbach won at least one CL game during that span.

Hardly that much of a difference, but Bayern (obviously) and Dortmund were better than any PL team from 11/12 to 16/17.
Try the entire trophy. A shit Chelsea beat Bayern in 2012 lest you forget. Don't even want to mention the utter wilderness bundesliga teams went into in the 00s. It's convenient to forget it now when you want to say how overrated the pl is and go to the other extreme. The second tier bundesliga teams even at their very best have managed to only keep.up.with pl teams going through their lulls. Not quite the comparison to buttress your point.

GameOn

Try the entire trophy. A shit Chelsea beat Bayern in 2012 lest you forget. Don't even want to mention the utter wilderness bundesliga teams went into in the 00s. It's convenient to forget it now when you want to say how overrated the pl is and go to the other extreme. The second tier bundesliga teams even at their very best have managed to only keep.up.with pl teams going through their lulls. Not quite the comparison to buttress your point.
Seems like I hit a nerve. Try to calm down a bit.

The PL is currently the most competitive domestic league in the world, yes.

That doesn't mean other leagues are "turd".

If you want to bring up 2012 Chelsea, you're free to do so, but it's not exactly the best example. They won the trophy, yes, but they needed all the luck in the world to beat Barca (semis) and Bayern (final), since they were completely outplayed against both those teams.

After that English football went into hibernation for five long years. Yet I haven't seen any "English football is turd" threads during that time. I wonder why ...

rollingstoned1

If you want to bring up 2012 Chelsea, you're free to do so, but it's not exactly the best example. They won the trophy, yes, but they needed all the luck in the world to beat Barca (semis) and Bayern (final), since they were completely outplayed against both those teams.

After that English football went into hibernation for five long years. Yet I haven't seen any "English football is turd" threads during that time. I wonder why ...
You didn't hit a nerve, your replies throught this thread seem to suggest that that is the case with you and you are just projecting. I just corrected you.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yawn. So difficult to have a laugh these days. Those touchy posters...
Well, to be fair, it's hard to distinguish someone trying to be funny from the people actually complaining about the exact same thing in the exact same way.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They are pretty much like the european MLS. Their games are really entertaining because there's lot of goals, defenses play so high up and almost every single team is ofensive. Its not very common to see teams parking the bus.

Thats why some players light the bundesliga up but fail to have the same impact on other leagues, I think Daniel James would thrive there will all the spaces given.
Does European here mean "the same but a million times better" ?

I didn't read the OP, but still surprised this has amassed 7 pages.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GameOn

Care to elaborate your thoughts?

Honestly interested what's so funny/controversial here.

If you're salty because of the "Chelsea needed all the luck in the world, since they were completely outplayed by Barca and Bayern" part, I can gladly post all the match stats and lucky breaks they got.

Nicolarra90

I feel this thread is made after 2 points
1. Recent spanking of leipzig
2. Recent bundesliga stars not really living up to the expectations in the PL.

While I feel bundesliga is clearly the 4th league in terms of importance and competition, I think that bundesliga works different than the 3 top leagues.

In bundesliga they try to make teams, they play with systems that make their players shine and maybe look better than they really are, and that of course translates to Europe.

The PL, serie A, la liga, are more about taking great individualities, and trying to force as many of them simultaneously in a team that works and don't look disjointed.

Other than that it's the Lewandowski case.
That sealed the bundesliga fate for the next 10 years.

It would have been like city selling agüero to us in 2012, or Messi/Cristiano to Madrid/Barca in 2011.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Care to elaborate your thoughts?

Honestly interested what's so funny/controversial here.

If you're salty because of the "Chelsea needed all the luck in the world, since they were completely outplayed by Barca and Bayern" part, I can gladly post all the match stats and lucky breaks they got.
Yeah such luck to come back from 2 goals and a man down after 25mins to draw 2-2 with Barcelona at Camp Nou. Was the luck part Messi missing the penalty?
Was it Cech saving Robben’s penalty unto the post? After Didier Drogba scored a wonderful header in the 85min to cancel out Tomas Muller’s equally great header in the 80min.
TThis is probably what happens when you watch the BuLi for a long, unhealthy period of time...the concept of Good Defending confuses you.

GameOn

Yeah such luck to come back from 2 goals and a man down after 25mins to draw 2-2 with Barcelona at Camp Nou. Was the luck part Messi missing the penalty?
Was it Cech saving Robben’s penalty unto the post? After Didier Drogba scored a wonderful header in the 85min to cancel out Tomas Muller’s equally great header in the 80min.
TThis is probably what happens when you watch the BuLi for a long, unhealthy period of time...the concept of Good Defending confuses you.
Sorry, but this has to be the most delusional post I've read in a long while.

Barca and Bayern missed countless sitters in those games, the Robben or Messi penalties only being two examples.

This was not a case of "good defending", it was just pure luck.
That's not even trying to talk shit about Chelsea (they probably should've won at least one CL in the six/seven years before that final), it's just the reality.

Here are the stats from the second Barcelona leg and the Bayern final:

Barcelona leg:

ChelseaBarcelona
28%Possession72%
254Passes attempted776
117 (46%)Passes completed (success rate)660 (85%)
6Attempts on goal22
3Big chances10

Bayern final:

ChelseaBayern
36%Possession64%
580Passes attempted724
408 (70%)Passes completed (success rate)545 (75%)
8Attempts on goal35
1Big chances7

They were massively outplayed in both games. Their saving grace was that both Barca and Bayern were too stupid to capitalize on so many clear cut chances.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona created 4 one vs one with cech, hit the post twice and missed two open goal rebounds at stamford bridge

Imagine calling that good defending

GameOn

Barcelona created 4 one vs one with cech, hit the post twice and missed two open goal rebounds at stamford bridge

Imagine calling that good defending
Something I always wanted to ask: How do football fans in Spain rate the "Messi era" in Barcelona?

They're obviously one of the "big three" alongside Real and Bayern this century, but do people think that they didn't win enough CLs ("only" 3, since Messi really took over in 2008)?

I mean 3 CLs is obviously still absolutely great, but given how much better especially the Messi-Xavi-Iniesta Barcelona was compared to the rest of world football, that somehow still seems a bit too low.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, 3 CL in the Messi era is less than they should have won. Still, 3 is still a lot and if it weren't for Zidane's madrid winning 3 in a row it probably wouldn't be looked at like that. At the time what they won under Guardiola was unthinkable

GameOn

So Barcelona were shit then? Works for me
Barcelona and Bayern both were the way better football teams in 2012.

They just happened to waste a ton of good chances in those particular games.

That's not something Chelsea needs to be ashamed of though. They had a lot of luck, yes, but they also capitalized on those finishing-woes and therefore it's not completely undeserved that they won in the end.