Supports
Hamburgers
Wow this is brilliant right now :eek:

Klose now record goal scorer for Germany

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm not blaming Löw for the injury, that's just bad luck. I'm blaming Löw for wasting basically every single friendly Germany played in the last year for stupid experiments instead of building a team with an identity and an established defense in which the players know and trust each other.
Are you really surprised, Balu? Since Löw took over in 2006 we did not have a really solid defensive formation for a lengthy period of time. He had eight years, eight fecking years to build sound and well coordinated defensive systems and failed time and time again. Given the player material he had at his disposal this is simply pathetic. Our offensive power has balanced that out most of the time and it is good, really good in fact, but not enough to win us a title.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Are you really surprised, Balu? Since Löw took over in 2006 we did not have a really solid defensive formation for a lengthy period of time. He had eight years, eight fecking years to build sound and well coordinated defensive systems and failed time and time again. Given the player material he had at his disposal this is simply pathetic. Our offensive power has balanced that out most of the time and it is good, really good in fact, but not enough to win us a title.
I'm not really surprised, but every 2 years I somehow still find hope in me that he isn't as big an idiot as I think he is. :(

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
podolski is a weapon! wow. özil manned up a bit as well, against a very weak opponent though.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Armenia shifted down a gear in defence. A lot more space now for our attacks.
Yeah I know they made it very easy for us, but still the general play style was really refreshing :) Not used to seeing that in recent games.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm not really surprised, but every 2 years I somehow still find hope in me that he isn't as big an idiot as I think he is. :(
Oh, you will leave that hoping zone sooner or later, believe me. Happened to me in 2012, now I don´t even care that much anymore and resigned to the fact that we won´t win anything major with that clown in charge.

MikeMango

Yeah I know they made it very easy for us, but still the general play style was really refreshing :) Not used to seeing that in recent games.
The first half wasn't bad either, in my opinon. We had enough chances to score one or two but Müller, Reus and Schürrle couldn't finish.

6-1 now. Its a nice ego boost.

francobaresi

Sounds like a daft thing to say, but Germany's strength in depth could actually be their weakness.

How is it possible to pick your best midfield when you've got Gotze, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Reus, Kroos, Ozil, Draxler, Shurrle, Podolski??

Ridiculous the talent at their disposal

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Kroos - Schweini please this just works much better than a midfield with Khedira. The games I've seen from Sami he just doesn't seem fit, doesn't give us defensive stability and he also isn't a spark in offense.

MikeMango

Kroos - Schweini please this just works much better than a midfield with Khedira. The games I've seen from Sami he just doesn't seem fit, doesn't give us defensive stability and he also isn't a spark in offense.
not sure how fit Schweinsteiger is. If we play a Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Özil midfield, Schweini has to be in top shape, since he would be the midfielder with the most defensive abilities and duties.
If not I would prefer Lahm in DM.

Kroos should be a sure starter after this game...I hope

Blackwidow

Sounds like a daft thing to say, but Germany's strength in depth could actually be their weakness.

How is it possible to pick your best midfield when you've got Gotze, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Reus, Kroos, Ozil, Draxler, Shurrle, Podolski??

Ridiculous the talent at their disposal
Or their strength as you can send in quality replacements for the offensive players when the opponent is tired...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not blaming Löw for the injury, that's just bad luck. I'm blaming Löw for wasting basically every single friendly Germany played in the last year for stupid experiments instead of building a team with an identity and an established defense in which the players know and trust each other.
Yeah, not sure why so many managers tend to completely waste friendlies to give caps to players instead of build an understanding. You'll still get through the group no problem IMO, the whole squad is too strong not to, but in the bigger games again I can see you falling short now with all the injuries, just lacking the little bit extra required. Or also with Low picking players like Khedira always despite him not being that great.

JefferiesTube

Reus out of WC, bad injury? Shame if so as he has had such a strong season and could have been a star of tournament. Too many players dropping out because of injury, hope don't get too many more before start. The more quality players the better the tournament.

Blackwidow

Last news is that the nuclear spin tomography had the result that the syndosmosis band is ruptured.

Thiago had the same at the begin of the season - Should mean a 2 months break.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
ok so reus is royally f*cked. great.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Too much hype about them, don't think justified (IMO). Still not a settled team, question mark still on what formation they might play or who will play where. They should have settled into a stable starting 11 long back. Too much experimentation with the team selection.

JefferiesTube

Khedira played 60 minutes, Germany score 1 goal. Schweinsteiger played 30 minutes, Germany score 5 goals. :houllier:

If Germany play 5/6 players (mid and for) who offer an attacking threat, they can win the World Cup. If they play 4/6, they will suffer like United did this season.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think Germany is the most balanced team in this years WC.
With their CM troubles and only one real LB? Hardly the most balanced squad. Losing Reus now is also a pretty big blow to them, because while the offensive midfield is probably their strongest area, he was the only truly set one. The only one in real world class form in the offense and a potential game changer.

The team is certainly overhyped at the moment, but funnily enough not really by halfway knowledgable German football fans. No one I know sees them as a serious title favourite. They are far too limited tactically and too shaky in the back to be one. Right now I see them making it to the QF, maybe the SF but no further. Favourites for me are Spain and Brazil right now.

bucky

With their CM troubles and only one real LB? Hardly the most balanced squad. Losing Reus now is also a pretty big blow to them, because while the offensive midfield is probably their strongest area, he was the only truly set one. The only one in real world class form in the offense and a potential game changer.

The team is certainly overhyped at the moment, but funnily enough not really by halfway knowledgable German football fans. No one I know sees them as a serious title favourite. They are far too limited tactically and too shaky in the back to be one. Right now I see them making it to the QF, maybe the SF but no further. Favourites for me are Spain and Brazil right now.
I share this opinion. This team also lacks character in my eyes.

Becknaldolencia

They are fourth in terms of number of overall international caps, 974 caps between them.
Germany was brilliant in the last WC, so with those youngsters maturing I guess you should be more confident.
Furthermore Germany has the highest number of international goals between their squad(219). I know these stats don't mean much but it is a fact.
Add to that a lot of Bayern and Dortmund players are present in the squad similar to Spain's WC winning suqad that had majority of the players from Barca abd Real. Things are looking bright for Germany, for me atleast. And having no pressure to win the tournament might actually be a good thing.

Reactions: Eboue

Blackwidow

I share this opinion. This team also lacks character in my eyes.
Character? What is character?

You mean we do not have a Kahn anymore that eats his defender and the opponents for breakfast. Or a Ballack that sleeps with the girlfriends of his teammates - or an Effenberg that does that and shows the fans his middle finger?

If that is character I am pretty glad that team does not have it...

-----------

About Reus - the DFB has now confirmed that it is a part rupture of the syndosmosis band. (not fully). So he for sure is out of the World Cup. (they did not say that in their twitter but he for sure will be out of training atleast four weeks even if it is not a full rupture)

Last edited:

JefferiesTube

Machines don't need character if they are efficient, effective and capable of mass destruction

Blodssvik

Well it's not like there are any other teams that are perfect. Besides it is a short tournament. You can analyse forever to find the team with highest probability to win. In the end the probability will still be higher that this team does not win.

bucky

Character? What is character?

You mean we do not have a Kahn anymore that eats his defender and the opponents for breakfast. Or a Ballack that sleeps with the girlfriends of his teammates - or an Effenberg that does that and shows the fans his middle finger?

If that is character I am pretty glad that team does not have it...

-----------

About Reus - the DFB has now confirmed that it is a part rupture of the syndosmosis band. (not fully). So he for sure is out of the World Cup. (they did not say that in their twitter but he for sure will be out of training atleast four weeks even if it is not a full rupture)
Don't know why you take this so personal, it's just my opinion. I'm speaking of the lack of character you could see against Italy in 2012 for example, when there was absolutely no reaction to Italy's first goal, basically the whole team caved in. Something which mostly stems from Löw in my eyes.

pascell

Anyone think that Reus' injury may weaken Germany's chances of winning the WC? Have you anyone to replace him that'd do just as good of a job or will the team have a change in dynamics?

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Anyone think that Reus' injury may weaken Germany's chances of winning the WC?
Definitely...

Have you anyone to replace him that'd do just as good of a job or will the team have a change in dynamics?
There are quite a few players who can play that position but none of them have the same impact. Podolski seems to be in great form but he typically plays well against weak opponents and struggles against quality defenders. Schürrle can play there but Löw seems to prefer using him in other roles. Then there's Draxler who is used to playing there and you could probably use Götze there as well.

So while the replacements are not a huge drop in quality they're not on Reus' current level. He was pretty much the best German offensive player in the past few months.

And I think Germany wants to play with a lot of different lineups to allow their players to be well-rested. Since so many players had been dealing with injuries you can't really expect them to play 90 minutes every game. They did the same at the last Euro when they completely switched up their lineup against Greece and that wasn't even due to injuries.
Losing Reus gives them one less option to do that so it's definitely a big blow.

Reactions: Eboue

Lyricist

Badstuber out
Gündogan out
L. Bender out
S. Bender out
Reus out
Gomez out

Schweinsteiger rushed back from injury
Khedira not fit, rushed back from injury

Damn, this time is truly cursed.

Despite Germany having quite a strong squad (a better one than last time around, even without the injured players), Reus is by far the best active German player. These last weeks I was cringing in my seat every time I read or heard international journos say "for Germany's main danger man you can't look past Özil, the guy is a gem."
Yes Özil is good, so are Müller, Kroos, Lahm, etc. but Reus was the one player who gave me hope that things are gonna be different in Spain 2010 or Italy 2012 like games. Reus is a beast, and him being out hurts Germany's chances significantly!

Lyricist

Bild reporting Löw will take Mustafi instead of Reus.

Is the guy out of his mind? Lost the plot completely...

Even IF he's doing that because he'll start Lahm as CM, there are still Hummels, Mertesacker, Boateng, Ginter, Höwedes, Großkreutz, and Durm in the squad who are all going to play as defenders.

We got 1 striker in there who's not fit, our best AM is out, and Löw nominates Mustafi?!?!?!?!

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Well, that's that, feck the WC.

And Löw nominates Mustaif. Guess I should be happy, at least the didn't nominate a 4th goalkeeper.