Germany at World Cup 2014

MikeMango

Mustafi:lol:

He must be one of the few players most german fans have never seen play, before he was invited to the national squad.

But it doesn't matter who is nominated now. The new guy will most likely not play a secound.

Poldi and Schürrle will take Reus' place. If Müllers plays up front we will see both, I guess.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Official: Reus's out. Our biggest would cup hope. Holy shit this year is not germany's year.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
nominates mustafi, one more CB??? lol. just LOL!

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Löw: ""Es ging uns nicht darum, Marco Reus eins zu eins zu ersetzen. Unsere Qualität auf der Position hinter den Spitzen ist sehr hoch, hier haben wir mit Lukas Podolski, André Schürrle, Mario Götze, Thomas Müller, Mesut Özil, Julian Draxler und Toni Kroos genügend Alternativen"

"It wasn't about replacing Marco Reus one-to-one. Our quality behind the strikers is very high, we got enough alternatives with (all the names)."

Strange statement. What "strikers" is he talking about?

Lyricist

Someone needs to start a petition for Löw to be fired!

Mustafi makes NO SENSE.

If Löw needs another FB because Lahm is moving to CM, why not Jung or Schmelzer.

Basically, our wings have been castrated with Höwedes and Boateng starting as fullbacks, Podolski probably starting as LM and Müller possibly moving up top. Our CM will suck if Khedira gets to waste a spot in the starting eleven once again. Our CF position is either played by a false 9 or a 36 year old semi injured player. And our CBs will once again get no cover.

Within a year from the Bayern Dortmund final we've went from best squad ever to lots of injuries and the stupidest squad and starting eleven selection I've seen from a coach of a top team in the longest time.

One can only hope that Ronaldo will still be out come the Germany game!

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Someone needs to start a petition for Löw to be fired!

Mustafi makes NO SENSE.

If Löw needs another FB because Lahm is moving to CM, why not Jung or Schmelzer.

Basically, our wings have been castrated with Höwedes and Boateng starting as fullbacks, Podolski probably starting as LM and Müller possibly moving up top. Our CM will suck if Khedira gets to waste a spot in the starting eleven once again. Our CF position is either played by a false 9 or a 36 year old semi injured player. And our CBs will once again get no cover.

Within a year from the Bayern Dortmund final we've went from best squad ever to lots of injuries and the stupidest squad and starting eleven selection I've seen from a coach of a top team in the longest time.

One can only hope that Ronaldo will still be out come the Germany game!
He can´t possibly start Höwedes there. The guy has played one professional game in that position in the last three years and with good reason.

It has gotten to the point, where we actually rely on the youngster Eric Durm for also providing something going forward. Problem is, that a main reason for Durm looking so promising at the moment is the synergy he has with Hummels and Reus. God knows if Löw puts his trust in the former and the latter is out. Missing Reus is not only an offensive problem but also one for the stability. Klopp has turned Reus into Germany´s best offensive midfielder in terms of defensive work on top of being world class offensively. He has done a lot of back tracking for the club and national team to help Durm out if needed. The only one in the squad who does comparable and even more defensive work would be Großkreutz, but he is not good enough offensively to get a shot as left offensive midfielder. If Löw goes for the best in form alternative to Reus, it would be Podolski, but that guy is known for not doing a lot defensively. This exposes Durm even more and adds to pressure for the lad.

And what is Löw´s answer to this dilemma? Instead of going for a direct replacement in Volland or adding a FB to the squad he nominates another CB....

The guy has completely lost his plot and despite it being so obvious the clown will probably get out of the tournament without consequences no matter the result.

OutlawGER

Supports
Löw: ""Es ging uns nicht darum, Marco Reus eins zu eins zu ersetzen. Unsere Qualität auf der Position hinter den Spitzen ist sehr hoch, hier haben wir mit Lukas Podolski, André Schürrle, Mario Götze, Thomas Müller, Mesut Özil, Julian Draxler und Toni Kroos genügend Alternativen"

"It wasn't about replacing Marco Reus one-to-one. Our quality behind the strikers is very high, we got enough alternatives with (all the names)."

Strange statement. What "strikers" is he talking about?

Where did he say something about "strikers"? You translate it wrong and wonder about that then? :lol: He just said that he has enough options BEHIND the front (Klose, Müller, maybe Schürrle or Podolski).

But i also don't get why it is Mustafi. Maybe he really wants to play Boateng + Höwedes as fullbacks.

Last edited:

OutlawGER

Supports
Mustafi makes NO SENSE.
Tbf it makes sense if he really wants to play Boateng + Höwedes as fullbacks. So there are 4 CB's already playing (+ Hummels and Mertesacker) and there would be only Ginter left on the bench.

NoLogo

A second FB who can play on the left would have made more sense imo but considering that he hasn't nominated a second left FB in the first place suggests that he wants to play one of our CBs there. Höwedes did an okay job there yesterday but I felt that apart from the one run that resulted in him scoring a goal he didn't contribute much to our attacking play.

Maybe Löw wants to play with a back 4 that mainly defends though as we have seen that our midfield and attack don't really contribute that much to defending he maybe wants to go for an old fashioned defensive back 4 with tall, strong players.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I don't get the problem. No matter which player would've been nominated, he would've only played in a worst-case situation.
The areas with the most problems fitness-wise is the defensive midfield. Probably Lahm will have to play there, so that Boateng will be needed at RB. One CB out then. Should we really get problems with Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Khedira whom have all been injured, probably Ginter has to help out as well.

And left in the midfield? Podolski, Draxler, Götze. All fit, one of them seems to be in topform. And that's leaving out th efact that even Kroos or Özil could play there in some kind of "oh my god" event or influencia or whatever. A lot of people here complained about all the offensive players nominated and now you want to maintain this status be calling up another one?

Even more retarded are the persons in some forums wanting the kinds of Lassogga and Gomez. THey haven't been included in the 30 man squad, they haven't been training for weeks. But the biggest problem is that because of the first matter the FIFA won't allow Löw to call up any of them.

talkin2me

I usually don't post on this site, but this constant Löw hatefest before one single minute of WC football is even played pisses me right off. You would think he left Messi out by the reaction around here. Volland is a decent player who had a good season where he scored 11 goals in 33 games. He benefited immensely from the crazy offensive set up at Hoffenheim (3rd best offense, 2nd(!) worst defense). But he played on the right most games, so didn't really tear the league apart as a CF.
Obviously, he didn't impress Löw at the training camp and he didn't take his chance in the friendly against Poland, either.
I like Volland, and I think he will be a part of this team in the future, if he keeps working hard, but I also think he wouldn't improve our squad right now and I trust Löw on this one.
Therefore, I'll hold back on my Löw-bashing until some actual fecking WC football is played.

Reactions: Eboue

Watz

Volland or Mustafi doesn't make a difference for me either as both won't play anyway. But the Reus injury really dampens my mood. He is arguably the best offensive german player right now and while it is correct that we have several options for that position none of them are as good as Reus. One week ago I was hoping for a front four of Mueller/Ozil/Reus/Gotze and now we'll get Mueller/Ozil/Podolski/Klose?? Welcome back to 2010! The nomination of Mustafi probably also means that Draxler has now a chance to play a role.

Blackwidow

While Reus for sure was Germany's best player in his team the recent two or three months, he was not during all of the season and not really in the German nationalteam to now. Though he is not a passenger in the big matches he still has not proved that he is a big factor in any big matches. But he did not play many until now and as he usually is very decisive he sure has the potential for it. He was a big hope.

But the formation like in yesterday's first half is not possible to be played in nearly the same quality - not as long Ozil or Gotze step up or get more consistent.

Poldi - so he offers enough firepower - ain't as flexible as Reus or Müller are. They both played all positions in the first half. Özil offers more creativity - but he did not show much form recently, has mental issues and does not offer the firepower. And Götze just is too inconsistent.

The results yesterday were a little bit misleading - sure the substitutes were doing great (that is the advantage if you can bring fresh legs of that quality) - but if Reus and Müller would have had their shooting boots with them yesterday they already should have led by a margin after 45 minutes as there were some very good chances. It was a really good mixture between defense, enough technicality and creativity and firepower in the first half that could have been the recipe for Brazil especially with the climate. Have a sub for the central midfield and 2 for the offense to have fresh legs in the second half with the ability to sub in Özil and Klose for more firepower but less stability - and it would have probably the optimum. It would be 2 and a half positions for Lahm, Khedira, Schweinsteiger and Kroos - so you do not have to rely on one of them always...

Lyricist

I don't get the problem. No matter which player would've been nominated, he would've only played in a worst-case situation.
The areas with the most problems fitness-wise is the defensive midfield. Probably Lahm will have to play there, so that Boateng will be needed at RB. One CB out then. Should we really get problems with Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Khedira whom have all been injured, probably Ginter has to help out as well.

And left in the midfield? Podolski, Draxler, Götze. All fit, one of them seems to be in topform. And that's leaving out th efact that even Kroos or Özil could play there in some kind of "oh my god" event or influencia or whatever. A lot of people here complained about all the offensive players nominated and now you want to maintain this status be calling up another one?

Even more retarded are the persons in some forums wanting the kinds of Lassogga and Gomez. THey haven't been included in the 30 man squad, they haven't been training for weeks. But the biggest problem is that because of the first matter the FIFA won't allow Löw to call up any of them.

The problem is that Löw nominating Mustafi shows that he infact plans to use both Boateng and Höwedes as fullbacks. That in itself is a ridiculous problem, it's simply stupid. A country of 80 million football loving people and we're playing Höwedes and Boateng as fullbacks because apparently Löw thinks they are fullbacks or something...has Höwedes ever played CB for Germany aside of that friendly vs the USA (did he even play CB there)? What in the world makes Löw think Höwedes is a LB?
Löw could've easily nominated Schmelzer or Jung and kept Höwedes or Boateng as CB instead. But rather then taking an actual fullback we're playing a defensive line with only CBs.

Yes, people complained that only AMs have been nominated but a CF in Volland has been left out. And don't tell me playing Volland there is just like playing Götze there. Volland has actually been a CF all his life prior to his Hoffenheim time. Now our top AM is out and it'd have given Löw the chance to finally nominate a second striker so we're not stuck with 36 year old semi injured Klose who will probably sweat himself to death in Brazil.

We've got 6 CBs in the squad, 3 FBs, 4CMs, 6AMs, and 1 CF. Surely leaving one more CB at home, especially if he's as unproven as Mustafi, and instead taking someone who can play AM and CF would've been wiser. How many CBs do you wanna field at the same time? Too bad, despite that being a rhethorical question, the real answer to how many CBs we'll be fielding is probably 4.

Words fail me when it comes to describing Löws horrible decision making.

Lyricist

Wow losing Reus is such a huge blow ! Germany best player this season ..
Gündogan and Bender would've both been very important too in my opinion. Add Gomez and Badstuber to that list, who when fit, is a great great CB really, and you'll see how hard injuries have set us back this time around.

About 1 year ago I thought we had a quality squad with actually great, not just good players, on every position on the field and bench. I thought we were close to Spain's 23 men squad, despite Spain having about 20 more great players who they've got to leave at home. But you can only take 23 so I didn't think that mattered. Now some of our key players are out and the gap between the two squads has become A HUGE LOT bigger again.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
The problem is that Löw nominating Mustafi shows that he infact plans to use both Boateng and Höwedes as fullbacks. That in itself is a ridiculous problem, it's simply stupid. A country of 80 million football loving people and we're playing Höwedes and Boateng as fullbacks because apparently Löw thinks they are fullbacks or something...has Höwedes ever played CB for Germany aside of that friendly vs the USA (did he even play CB there)? What in the world makes Löw think Höwedes is a LB?
Löw could've easily nominated Schmelzer or Jung and kept Höwedes or Boateng as CB instead. But rather then taking an actual fullback we're playing a defensive line with only CBs.

Yes, people complained that only AMs have been nominated but a CF in Volland has been left out. And don't tell me playing Volland there is just like playing Götze there. Volland has actually been a CF all his life prior to his Hoffenheim time. Now our top AM is out and it'd have given Löw the chance to finally nominate a second striker so we're not stuck with 36 year old semi injured Klose who will probably sweat himself to death in Brazil.

We've got 6 CBs in the squad, 3 FBs, 4CMs, 6AMs, and 1 CF. Surely leaving one more CB at home, especially if he's as unproven as Mustafi, and instead taking someone who can play AM and CF would've been wiser. How many CBs do you wanna field at the same time? Too bad, despite that being a rhethorical question, the real answer to how many CBs we'll be fielding is probably 4.

Durm is nominated and will play, I think. Yesterdays formation wasn't what will be fielded against Portugal imo.

LinkesAuge

Boateng is a better RB than anyone else in Germany besides Lahm so if you move Lahm it's totally okay to use him there and some additional strength in the air doesn't hurt either with maybe Lahm/Kroos as CM.
And why do you even complain about Höwedes? It's certainly possible that Durm will be our starting LB. Schmelzer was simply not fit and Großkreutz showed even against freckin' Armenia his weaknesses.
I'm really not a fan of Löw, I actually think he is holding us back but a defensive line of Boateng/Mertesacker/Hummels/Durm is nothing I could blame him for.

Regarding Reus... I don't get some of the comments here. I mean it certainly won't strengthen us to do without Reus but people also shouldn't pretend like he has been a big factor for Germany so far. He had a few good games, a few bad ones and mostly average ones. To me it looked like he could become a very important player but so far he hasn't been a "Müller/Schweinsteiger/Lahm" for the team and while I'm not a big fan of Podolski he is a different beast for Germany though I'd prefer Götze as replacement for Reus.

Reactions: Eboue

Watz

The results yesterday were a little bit misleading - sure the substitutes were doing great (that is the advantage if you can bring fresh legs of that quality) - but if Reus and Müller would have had their shooting boots with them yesterday they already should have led by a margin after 45 minutes as there were some very good chances.
It was very misleading and I really hope that Podolski didn't play himself into the starting eleven with that performance. It was a great performance but it was a friendly against a tired out Armenia and I simply don't care for that anymore. The WC is where it counts and Podolski has been average/poor in the important games for awhile now. Schurrle doesn't fill me with confidence either. Great options off the bench but with the talent Germany "normally" has they should'nt be starting imo. Our team seems to resemble more and more the 2010 version, which is rather disappointing after all the talent that has emerged in the meantime. I know other nations would kill to have those problems but still.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Where did he say something about "strikers"? You translate it wrong and wonder about that then? :lol: He just said that he has enough options BEHIND the front (Klose, Müller, maybe Schürrle or Podolski).

But i also don't get why it is Mustafi. Maybe he really wants to play Boateng + Höwedes as fullbacks.
Since he used "Spitzen", I translated it the same as I would have translated "strikers" because he didn't say "front/Spitze". Schürrle, Podolkis and Müller are mentioned as alternatives behind the foremost attacker(s). So who are the players that are supposed to play in front of all the players he mentioned? I can only think about Klose. I really hope he doesn't rely on just him to start as striker. Lets just hope he said it without a thought.

The Mustafi-thing: Since he deemed Schmelzer unfit (unlike Khedira, who is obviously fresh as a daisy, not to mention some other players), he probably plans to use Höwedes as his backup-lb and hopes that Durm can manage to perform well almost without any international experience. Why that requires ANOTHER cb instead of a wb or another attacking option is beyond me, but then again, I stopped trying to understand Löw a long time ago... maybe I'm just unable to see how Lahm is better as a midfielder than a RB. I know who I would pit against the likes of Ronaldo out of Lahm and Boateng...

Last edited:

Blodssvik

Since he used "Spitzen", I translated it the same as I would have translated "strikers", since he didn't say "front/Spitze". Schürrle, Podolkis AND MÜLLER are mentioned as alternatives behind the foremost attacker(s). So who are the players that are supposed to play in front of all the players he mentioned? I can only think about Klose. I really hope he doesn't rely on just him to start as striker.
I think he meant Spitzen as the first options in each position and not the "Spitze" of the formation. The hierarchical pyramid of talent if you so prefer.

Lyricist

Tbf it makes sense if he really wants to play Boateng + Höwedes as fullbacks. So there are 4 CB's already playing (+ Hummels and Mertesacker) and there would be only Ginter left on the bench.
That in itself is part of why it doesn't make sense. You don't play a backline of Höwedes, Hummels, Mertesacker, Boateng. Have we completely given up on quick offensive fullbacks? Also you really think if lets say Hummels was injured and Mertesacker suspended we'd start with a CB partnership of Ginter and Mustafi?? Höwedes - Ginter - Mustafi - Boateng? Never ever!

Lyricist

I think he meant Spitzen as the first options in each position and not the "Spitze" of the formation. The hierarchical pyramid of talent if you so prefer.
No, Spitzen is the top of the formation, correctly. The term isn't only used for strikers though, Ribery and Robben are "Spitzen" for Bayern too.
That, plus the term "hinter den Spitzen" is actually used for the second striker position in Germany. But here he basically means the AM department.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
"Spitzen", the way we use it were I live, always means "the guys playing at the front" (i.e. "strikers") and not "the front" itself. That's why it confuses me that he would mention pretty much all offensive players as alternatives behind "the players at the front", even though nobody but Klose is left for that position. Sure, I'm probably reading way too much into it, but it smells of a lack of plan or vision to me. I'm with @Sphaero - Löw has lost the plot.

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way: Schmelzer, one of 2 german LBs that don't make me shudder whenever I see their name on the formation sheet, is deemed unfit, but Klose, who Löw previously admitted only a couple of days ago wasn't anywhere near 100% and still isn't, is alright because he's a "tournament player". The double standards just baffle me.

"Miro ist, was seine Leistungsfähigkeit anbelangt, noch nicht ganz bei 100 Prozent. Er hat viel gearbeitet. Am Ende des Trainingslagers hat man ihm seine Müdigkeit angemerkt. Miro ist aber ein Turnierspieler, er weiß, was zu tun ist. Meistens, wenn es darauf ankommt, ist er auf den Punkt genau fit." (http://www.sportschau.de/fifawm2014/nachrichten/interview-mit-joachim-loew-vor-der-abreise100.html)

Last edited:

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
While Reus for sure was Germany's best player in his team the recent two or three months, he was not during all of the season and not really in the German nationalteam to now. Though he is not a passenger in the big matches he still has not proved that he is a big factor in any big matches. But he did not play many until now and as he usually is very decisive he sure has the potential for it. He was a big hope.
What is a big match for you? A knock out match in the CL? If that is so, then here is a short list for you:

2012/2013
- Malaga (QF 2nd leg)
- Real Madrid (SF 1st leg)
- Bayern Munich (Final)

2013/2014
- Napoli (Group stages 2nd leg/ do-or-die game)
- St. Petersburg (R16 1st leg)
- Real Madrid (QF 2nd leg)

In all these games, he directly contributed to goals for Dortmund, often more than once. You are right he sure as hell is not a passenger, he is a difference maker and one of the key players his team counts on. Truth is, that the only German offensive midfielder with more proof as being a big game player is Thomas Müller. Everyone else has still to proof himself as such.

He was also without a doubt Germany´s best player if we take the whole season into account, which is why he won every meaningful vote as such by a landslide.

Him missing the WC won´t break our offensive, but it will definitively hurt us. We are not going to win any games at Brazil because of our system or tactics. We have to hope for individual brilliance to pull us through. And up to this point Reus could deliver exactly that.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Truth is, that the only German offensive midfielder with more proof as being a big game player is Thomas Müller. Everyone else has still to proof himself as such.

He was also without a doubt Germany´s best player if we take the whole season into account, which is why he won every meaningful vote as such by a landslide.

Him missing the WC won´t break our offensive, but it will definitively hurt us. We are not going to win any games at Brazil because of our system or tactics. We have to hope for individual brilliance to pull us through. And up to this point Reus could deliver exactly that.
Spot on. Also, with Özil in such a slump and his overall tendency to play the hitchhiker in big matches, I was kinda relying on the synergy between Reus und Müller. Altough both missed their chances, flashes of the potentially fantastic play between the two could be seen yesterday. They both work very hard,have the mindset to carry teams out of bad situations and add to each others strengths. Huge blow.

Blackwidow

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...ien-torschuetzenkoenig-variabel-flexibel.html

Maybe that interview explains it better.

@Sphaero
The problems with that matches always is that then people might intercept and say that Özil made assists or goals against Barcelona or Bayern Munich. We are not far away from each other. Reus is most likely the player that could prove to be such a big game player, too. He just did not play too much in them.. He makes a lot of the decisive goals for Dortmund and he might be able to replicate that for the German team, too. But with him until now it is more promise...

When I see the other offensive midfielders I have my doubts.

It is the mixture between mentality and the playing part. What does that technical player help me if he cannot take up a fight? But it does not help me if I have firepower but nobody creates. I thought they had a good mixture in the first half yesterday and the only thing missing was that last moment of understanding what you can get in the next week and the goals.

Last edited:

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The Mustafi-thing: Since he deemed Schmelzer unfit (unlike Khedira, who is obviously fresh as a daisy, not to mention some other players), he probably plans to use Höwedes as his backup-lb and hopes that Durm can manage to perform well almost without any international experience. Why that requires ANOTHER cb instead of a wb or another attacking option is beyond me, but then again, I stopped trying to understand Löw a long time ago... maybe I'm just unable to see how Lahm is better as a midfielder than a RB. I know who I would pit against the likes of Ronaldo out of Lahm and Boateng...
Thats one of my biggest problems right now. We are basically putting our faith in a young talent, who just finished his first club season on top level and was a striker a year ago. The pressure on the lad will be immense and if he can not withstand that, underperform or even get injured we are completely screwed over, because the appearant back up is a player who played a grand total of one competive game in that position over the last three years.

Watz

Regarding Reus... I don't get some of the comments here. I mean it certainly won't strengthen us to do without Reus but people also shouldn't pretend like he has been a big factor for Germany so far. He had a few good games, a few bad ones and mostly average ones. To me it looked like he could become a very important player but so far he hasn't been a "Müller/Schweinsteiger/Lahm" for the team and while I'm not a big fan of Podolski he is a different beast for Germany though I'd prefer Götze as replacement for Reus.
Well he had the best form going into the tournament and is maybe the best german offensive player at the moment. It's of course true that he hasn't been a big factor thus far but that's not surprising because the WC really would've been his first big tournament, so he had not many chances to be a big factor. Maybe I'm overrating Reus and underating Schurrle and Podolski but for me they are a noticeable drop off to Reus. I would also love to see Gotze start but I fear we would become very slooow then.

Blackwidow

Well he had the best form going into the tournament and is maybe the best german offensive player at the moment. It's of course true that he hasn't been a big factor thus far but that's not surprising because the WC really would've been his first big tournament, so he had not many chances to be a big factor. Maybe I'm overrating Reus and underating Schurrle and Podolski but for me they are a noticeable drop off to Reus. I would also love to see Gotze start but I fear we would become very slooow then.
You are not overrating Reus - he for sure is a big upgrade to Schürrle and Podolski. He might not be the biggest creative player but he has enough of it - and that is his surplus to the likes of Schürrle and Podolski. He is the best mixture between a speeddribbler like Schürrle and Poldi and the creative players like Götze or Özil and combines speed and creativity - plus his set-pieces. Without having mentality issues!!!

Watz

Now that Reus is out how about this lineup:cool: I know it won't happen but of all the options that can replace Reus, Draxler (in form) would be the best option for me. Because as @Blackwidow said, Schurrle and Podolski lack a bit in the creativity department.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Gutted to hear that Marco Reus is out of the World Cup. I'm a huge fan of him and I was hoping to see him at this World Cup. It's such a shame because for the next World Cup, he will be 29. When the draw came out last year, I thought Germany was drawn in one of the toughest groups. However, I was pretty certain that they will still top the group but now, I'm not even sure if they can make it out of the group.

JefferiesTube

Now that Reus is out how about this lineup:cool: I know it won't happen but of all the options that can replace Reus, Draxler (in form) would be the best option for me. Because as @Blackwidow said, Schurrle and Podolski lack a bit in the creativity department.

:cool:

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Kroos in the pivot will get badly exposed in the World Cup.