Gerontocracy

Sweet Square

A form of social organization in which a group of old men or a council of elders dominates or exercises control
With Biden set to become the oldest American President of all time thought this might be worth a discussion. Although it's not just Biden, if you calculate the median age of the current president, the speaker of the House, the majority leader of the Senate, and the three Democrats that were leading the presidential polls in 2020, the median age is 77. The average of House and Senate members are 58 and 63.

It's just an issue in Freedom Land. In Britain the average of MP's is 50 with the Prime Minister aged 56. The Tory party receives more money from dead members than ones alive and the average age of Labour members is over 50. The same in Germany with Merkel at 66 years old and political party members of all German parties aged over 50.

Elsewhere in Brazil Bolsonaro(67) replaced former leader of the workers party
Rousseff(72). Japan have recently replaced its president after Shinzo Abe(66)stepped down to health reasons, his replacement Yoshihide Suga is actually older clocking in at 71 years old. Xi in China is 67(Although party member age seems to be lot younger) and Putin is getting on at 68.

So are we already living in a zombie apocalypse ?

Don't Kill Bill

When i was 22 the president of the US was 20 odd years older than me now I'm 54 and the president is 20 odd years older than me. I feel younger every time I see Biden, so its all seems good to me.

Lj82

With Biden set to become the oldest American President of all time thought this might be worth a discussion. Although it's not just Biden, if you calculate the median age of the current president, the speaker of the House, the majority leader of the Senate, and the three Democrats that were leading the presidential polls in 2020, the median age is 77. The average of House and Senate members are 58 and 63.

It's just an issue in Freedom Land. In Britain the average of MP's is 50 with the Prime Minister aged 56. The Tory party receives more money from dead members than ones alive and the average age of Labour members is over 50. The same in Germany with Merkel at 66 years old and political party members of all German parties aged over 50.

Rousseff(72). Japan have recently replaced its president after Shinzo Abe(66)stepped down to health reasons, his replacement Yoshihide Suga is actually older clocking in at 71 years old. Xi in China is 67(Although party member age seems to be lot younger) and Putin is getting on at 68.

Although of a much smaller nation, worth pointing out that Mahathir became PM for Malaysia for the second time at the grand old age of 93 in 2018.

stepic

it’s weird that you would never see someone 70+ running a company yet it’s becoming normal for them to run an entire country.

Sweet Square

Although of a much smaller nation, worth pointing out that Mahathir became PM for Malaysia for the second time at the grand old age of 93 in 2018.
Cheers. I'm sure there's a ton of examples I've missed.

That really is a insane age to govern.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
it’s weird that you would never see someone 70+ running a company yet it’s becoming normal for them to run an entire country.
Aren't most big companies run by rich, old (usually white) men?

Lj82

Cheers. I'm sure there's a ton of examples I've missed.

That really is a insane age to govern.
It is. But abit of fun fact. he got out maneuvered and was ousted earlier this year. The politics in Malaysia makes great drama

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I don't think so. I have not seen any data on that, but have the impression. Oldies hang around as Chairmen, etc.

stepic

average age of a Fortune 500 CEO is about 58 according to a random google search, which sounds about right. You should be bloody well retired by 70.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Not only you think there must be people younger and beter fit for the job, these people themselves are not at their peak. Irrespective of how good Biden is, he's has certainly been more able in the past.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think so. I have not seen any data on that, but have the impression. Oldies hang around as Chairmen, etc.
I think that must have been what I was thinking of.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
average age of a Fortune 500 CEO is about 58 according to a random google search, which sounds about right. You should be bloody well retired by 70.
Curiously I think 58 is exactly the age of the world's oldest chess champion.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
58 is surely still old?

MoskvaRed

I’ve had the same thought (mainly due to the recent focus on the US where Biden, Trump, Sanders and Pelosi have a combined age of over 300) but it’s not so noticeable in Europe. Conte and Johnson are not particularly old for PMs, while Macron is 42. Merkel is getting on but will step down soon. Elsewhere, Trudeau is youngish, as is Jacinda Ardern.

Maybe what has changed since the 80s (when there were also geriatrics like Reagan in power) is the rise in generational inequality, with the result that someone over 50 might these days find it much harder to understand the challenges facing the younger generations.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Different demands but you do see them ?

It's weird people think 70+ is that old. I don't even think it is in the current day and age.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Phew! Thought this thread was going to be about Redcafe.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
On the other hand, you have Ardern who became PM of New Zealand at 37, Marin in Finland at 34, Trudeau in Canada at 43, Frederiksen in Denmark at 41, Rutte in the Netherlands at 43, Macron in France at 39 - and that's just the ones that immediately spring to my mind. It's not all doom and gloom.

Edit: Also Kurz in Austria at 33, and Obama in the US at 47

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
We have a very young head of government.

He's vapid, egotistical, hypocritical and the most unethical politician in our country's history.

Give me the olds any day.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Looks like everyone likes voting for old men then really. Except for Jeremy of course, they're not that stupid.

Siorac

Different demands but you do see them ?

It's weird people think 70+ is that old. I don't even think it is in the current day and age.
The average life expectancy in the US is 78.54 years. 70+ IS old.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The average life expectancy in the US is 78.54 years. 70+ IS old.
Life expectancy counts for those that die early as well I think.

There is some statistics behind this but in 2020 someone in america passing away at 78 I wouldn't say is always natural

Siorac

Life expectancy counts for those that die early as well I think.

There is some statistics behind this but in 2020 someone in america passing away at 78 I wouldn't say is always natural
Well, I mean someone like Joe Biden should definitely outlive the average life expectancy: he has access to top notch healthcare, dieticians, and so on.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We have a very young head of government.

He's vapid, egotistical, hypocritical and the most unethical politician in our country's history.

Give me the olds any day.
Youth has vigour, age has experience....but if you’re a cnut, you’re a cnut.
That makes me feel warm inside