Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Ace of Spades

Yeah, Maric was behind the Bournemouth defender. You cant block the view that isnt there.
Exactly, a perfectly fine goal that was reviewed for ages for no reason at all.

Something needs to be done, cause this is absolutely the wrong way to implement VAR. It is killing the joy of the game. Imagine if there was a full crowd at OT today, would have to constantly be on edge thinking about VAR, checking it for ages while the crowd got restless.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The last two decisions make no sense. They showed Matic’s foot was offside yet the goal was given. They showed the defenders arm was keeping Rashford onside for his last goal yet it’s called back.
Defender's arm is not considered for offside. Never was, never will. You can neither defend nor score with your arm unless you're the keeper. So it is judged on the most protuberant legal part of the body, the chest.

Matic is offside but does not affect the play, so it's a goal.

Rafaeldagold

Defender's arm is not considered for offside. Never was, never will. You can neither defend nor score with your arm unless you're the keeper. So it is judged on the most protuberant legal part of the body, the chest.

Matic is offside but does not affect the play, so it's a goal.
Can you explain for the ‘handball’ penalty. How one ref in the studio says it isn’t a penalty, yet VAR ref gives a pen?

Could it be that Football will always largely be subjective (same for the free kick offside, a ref could make a case for Matic interfering) & that VAR just is a terrible addition to the game?

cyberman

Exactly, a perfectly fine goal that was reviewed for ages for no reason at all.

Something needs to be done, cause this is absolutely the wrong way to implement VAR. It is killing the joy of the game. Imagine if there was a full crowd at OT today, would have to constantly be on edge thinking about VAR, checking it for ages while the crowd got restless.
My theory is that refs listen to players when they complain about instances and it slows everything down.
Ill take VAR further, I would leave everything to the match officials who arent allowed to defer to VAR but they step in for offsides etc.

sport2793

Haven't bought into the hype around hating VAR...until today. Am totally baffled as to how it was implemented in every decision today. The lack of explanation of what the different color lines represent and how it is implemented definitely contributes to the problem. Really stupid performance by Lee Mason who was the VAR ref today.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Even if there was no VAR, the linesman was going for offside for Rashford's goal. Dean was also going to decide for a penalty.
So? the fact that after every goal the players mull about and Us fans just have to sit there waiting to see whether the man in the room thinks it’s a goal or not. that’s the biggest issue with var, obviously some decisions They’re going to get right aswell as miss and would not have been a part of anyway.

Ace of Spades

My theory is that refs listen to players when they complain about instances and it slows everything down.
Ill take VAR further, I would leave everything to the match officials who arent allowed to defer to VAR but they step in for offsides etc.
But they are still getting decisions wrong with VAR, so what is the point. They can't even get offsides right.

cyberman

But they are still getting decisions wrong with VAR, so what is the point. They can't even get offsides right.
At least that cuts out Ake complaining so Dean orders VAR to quarduple check a goal that had nothing wrong with it.
Even if his heel is fractionaly offside, I genuinely dont think VAR checks that.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
At least that cuts out Ake complaining so Dean orders VAR to quarduple check a goal that had nothing wrong with it.
Even if his heel is fractionaly offside, I genuinely dont think VAR checks that.
Don’t VAR check every goal anyway? Admittedly defenders causing a fuss will add maybe a more thourough check and potentially swing the decision

cyberman

Don’t VAR check every goal anyway? Admittedly defenders causing a fuss will add maybe a more thourough check and potentially swing the decision
I think they would have a quick check and move on to be honest. Thats only offside due to line of vision, the ball went straight in and he was miles away.
It has to be due to players protests. It never made sense.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think they would have a quick check and move on to be honest. Thats only offside due to line of vision, the ball went straight in and he was miles away.
It has to be due to players protests. It never made sense.
It’s given defenders a get out of jail card alright

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Hadn't voted or commented until now but having had it for the best part of the season now, I'm really fed up with it.

Don't care if it's for us or against us, don't care if the referee has made a mistake, it's all part of the game. Unless VAR is 100% perfect every time for every decision it is pointless and wish it wasn't spoiling the games so much. Get rid.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Can you explain for the ‘handball’ penalty. How one ref in the studio says it isn’t a penalty, yet VAR ref gives a pen?

Could it be that Football will always largely be subjective (same for the free kick offside, a ref could make a case for Matic interfering) & that VAR just is a terrible addition to the game?
I didn't say anything about the handball against Bailly. I thought it was the wrong call. The other two weren't. I also agree about the red card for Lerma.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Wasn’t even in the box. I don’t think they checked that.

I believe the Penalty Box lines are treated as goal lines(?). That ball isn’t even close to being in the box if so.

Last edited:

montpelier

Well..

I dont even know how VAR helps with the Bailly pen, I've got no idea if it's in or out or whether it's handball or not. Dean had given it on his own doesn't seem great either, mind.

I don't mind Lerma staying on, I can live with him getting benefit of the doubt, not high-speed, some hint of it being an accident. I dont want VAR seeing that as a red, if the ref doesn't.

There was a LOT of VAR to achieve very little in that game imo.

And overall is never too different from that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I actually thought Rashford was more offside for our 4th goal then the disallowed one.

The thing about these mm offsides is the technology clearly isn't capable to be accurate to that sort of measurement... So why they try and pretend that it is I have no clue.

Revan

Assumptionman
Except not giving a red card to Bournemouth, it was spot on in everything else. Which is the job of it. It doesn’t matter if it is 1mm or 10 meters offside, offside now is a binary decision, you are either in or out. The margined do not matter. It was unlucky for Rashford, but it was fair. And it was unlucky for Bailly too, but again it was clear penalty.

People might not like the rules, but it has nothing to do with VAR. And adjusting the rules to ‘give X cm advantage to the attacking team’ won’t solve anything. It will just alter the margin from 0 to X.

VAR is here to stay and good that it is so.

Revan

Assumptionman
The last two decisions make no sense. They showed Matic’s foot was offside yet the goal was given. They showed the defenders arm was keeping Rashford onside for his last goal yet it’s called back.
Arm does not count for offside, cause you cannot use it. Matic despite being offside, was behind a Bournemouth player so it changed nothing. Both correct decisions.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Except not giving a red card to Bournemouth, it was spot on in everything else. Which is the job of it. It doesn’t matter if it is 1mm or 10 meters offside, offside now is a binary decision, you are either in or out. The margined do not matter. It was unlucky for Rashford, but it was fair. And it was unlucky for Bailly too, but again it was clear penalty.

People might not like the rules, but it has nothing to do with VAR. And adjusting the rules to ‘give X cm advantage to the attacking team’ won’t solve anything. It will just alter the margin from 0 to X.

VAR is here to stay and good that it is so.
nope, not accurate enough and still depends on who the man in the room is and how good he is with his jittery paint lines

Revan

Assumptionman
It’s not VAR’s fault that it’s enabling the law to be enforced correctly. It’s potentially the laws fault. The whole half an inch offside thing is ridiculous. I remember over a decade ago there was a directive of “daylight between striker and defender” for offside. Would make more sense
Ah, the famous daylight rule that never existed but some journo made it up and everyone took it for gospel.

Revan

Assumptionman
nope, not accurate enough and still depends on who the man in the room is and how good he is with his jittery paint lines
Those jittery lines are a bit automatic. They just need to put them when the body of the last defender ends. Everything else is automatic.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Those jittery lines are a bit automatic. They just need to put them when the body of the last defender ends. Everything else is automatic.
And that’s the bit they seem to struggle with. With west ham attacker the other night they took ages aback and forth with the line trying to get it right and it was still off the attacker slightly. Today with rashford there was nowhere near as much care taken and it was still not accurate. Rashford could have been made to look onside today

Revan

Assumptionman
It’s not always VARs fault per se.

it’s more of a question of should we be ruling out goals if they are a mm offside?
We obviously should. Offside is an offside.

You can make an offside only if the attacker is 10 meters offside. What happens when he is 10 meters and 1cm then? This only shifts the margin but it improves nothing, so why not keep the margin where it is, as written in the laws of the game.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We obviously should. Offside is an offside.

You can make an offside only if the attacker is 10 meters offside. What happens when he is 10 meters and 1cm then? This only shifts the margin but it improves nothing, so why not keep the margin where it is, as written in the laws of the game.
Because it’s not accurate enough. I’ll keep repeating it

Revan

Assumptionman
Because it’s not accurate enough. I’ll keep repeating it
And how does changing the margin to something else becomes more accurate?

The only question is ‘is VAR more accurate than the referees when it comes to offside’? And the answer is undoubtedly yes.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s not a computer game or simulated players, it’s real life with absolutely no chance someone sitting in a room miles away looking at a tele of when they’ve hit pause can tell whether a player was 1mm on or offside, no chance, they’re pretending. And while they’re pretending their ruining maybe the most important part of football. The joy of goals

Revan

Assumptionman
It’s not a computer game or simulated players, it’s real life with absolutely no chance someone sitting in a room miles away looking at a tele of when they’ve hit pause can tell whether a player was 1mm on or offside, no chance, they’re pretending. And while they’re pretending their ruining maybe the most important part of football. The joy of goals
I don’t understand why VAR being arguably wrong in decisions with margin of 5cm is worse than referees going with their judgement and being consistently wrong on offside calls that are half a meter wrong.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
And how does changing the margin to something else becomes more accurate?

The only question is ‘is VAR more accurate than the referees when it comes to offside’? And the answer is undoubtedly yes.
Well they could introduce a margin for error to negate the fact that it isn't accurate? Be it umpires call, or lines overlapping, or a time limit to reach a verdict...

It's ridiculous to keep to a strict millimetre rule when the technology is incapable of actually achieving that accuracy.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don’t understand why VAR being arguably wrong in decisions with margin of 5cm is worse than referees going with their judgement and being consistently wrong on offside calls that are half a meter wrong.
Because they were not consistently wrong, Not enough to cause this horrid wait after every goal for it to be checked, and then the further wait while they measure the width of a gnats arse hair.

and still, offsides are called wrong now but they lead to corners that then lead to goals and that can’t even be changed, showing more problems with it all. All for supposed fairness.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well they could introduce a margin for error to negate the fact that it isn't accurate? Be it umpires call, or lines overlapping, or a time limit to reach a verdict...

It's ridiculous to keep to a strict millimetre rule when the technology is incapable of actually achieving that accuracy.
I would actually be in favor of introducing some margin rule, but that won’t stop people bitching when they will check if it is 1mm inside or not with regard to the new margin. It is like who created the Universe? God? And then, who created God? So I don’t see how the margin is gonna solve anything, it is just gonna be X instead of 0 but all the problems will remain.

MikeeMike

Wasn’t even in the box. I don’t think they checked that.

I believe the Penalty Box lines are treated as goal lines(?). That ball isn’t even close to being in the box if so.
Probably because no one knows the rule for “whole of ball over the line” for this situation. Could be like rugby and if any part of ball intersects line in this instance?
for example , if GK catches ball and part of ball is over (18 yrd) line, is that handball ?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I would actually be in favor of introducing some margin rule, but that won’t stop people bitching when they will check if it is 1mm inside or not with regard to the new margin. It is like who created the Universe? God? And then, who created God? So I don’t see how the margin is gonna solve anything, it is just gonna be X instead of 0 but all the problems will remain.
That's why you have a arbitrary margin ... Such as lines touching or time it takes to decide. Then you're not arguing over mm, your basically saying its too close to call and that's that.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
'Any part' needs to be removed from the rule and replaced by 'substantial part' and a standard quantitative definition of the term defined.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That's why you have a arbitrary margin ... Such as lines touching or time it takes to decide. Then you're not arguing over mm, your basically saying its too close to call and that's that.
Thicker lines that don’t need to be as accurate and then if they touch, too close to call, is a great idea

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Has anyone watched 'What we do in the Shadows' with Colin Robinson, the energy vampire? If you haven't then watch it, and you'll understand.

Colin Robinson is VAR.
Wasn't expecting this analogy :lol: