Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's like offside, it's a binary decision: either the GK is over his line or not. Once you make var police these things they have no choice, but to repeat penalties like Palace's, even if de Gea's overstepping was more of a technicality. One can of course ask whether it is necessary to apply VAR to these calls, but I'm not sure whether I've ever seen a penalty repeated for overstepping before VAR was implemented.
The only I can think of was u17s Ireland vs Netherlands where they allowed the Dutch keeper to come off his line on every penalty with only a warning but then decided to send off the Irish keeper for it and retake the penalty. Made the kid breakdown and cry.

It’s about time they’ve started enforcing it anyway, it’s just been a game of what keeper cheats the most before.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Rules have always changed every season regardless of VAR. Literally every season so it's not something new for rules to change or new ones to come in. It's just we have a tool that is aimed at making sure rules are enforced.
That’s not what I said though, I said they are being changed to accommodate VAR, such as this stupid handball rule

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
But the rules were always changed to help referees so what's the problem with changing them to help the tool that helps the referees. That would seem logical no?
Yes it’s changed to help VAR So decisions are black and white and moving subjectivity away from the game, and in doing so are ruining the game imo.

MikeeMike

See the post above. If that’s the stance then keepers just lost any hope of saving penalties.
For me , the original penalty was very harsh. DdG off the line and so as per rules it should be retaken.
But.
Why did it take so long to decide the retake? What if a team scored in the interim?
Why was C.Palace player encroachment on retake not spotted.
Also the BBC doesnt help with Jenas saying “common sense should be used” ( for DdG just over line). Sorry , but that makes a mockery of any VAR ruling. Apply the rules, but consistently across all games.

MikeeMike

Having penalties retaken for the keeper having their foot slightly off the line is nonsense. If they're charging out and both feet are off the line fair enough, but there has to be common sense applied.
Sorry, do not agree. Otherwise you have to define “common sense”. It is a binary decision.

Nas-JR

For me , the original penalty was very harsh. DdG off the line and so as per rules it should be retaken.
But.
Why did it take so long to decide the retake? What if a team scored in the interim?
Why was C.Palace player encroachment on retake not spotted.
Also the BBC doesnt help with Jenas saying “common sense should be used” ( for DdG just over line). Sorry , but that makes a mockery of any VAR ruling. Apply the rules, but consistently across all games.
Well let's break down what you said.

If a team scored in the interim, it doesn't count. Obviously.
Encroachment does not matter if it doesn't affect the outcomes of the penalty; i.e. if it goes in, then it doesn't matter ( I still don't get why fans can't grasp this).
The rules have been changed for this season. VAR is being applied for looking at keepers coming off the line so bringing up what was done last year or the year before is a moot point. I am pretty certain this rule will be applied consistently as it is pretty straightforward to enact.

Obviously there has been other changes like the handball rule, the leeway with offsides etc. so using the example of previous seasons makes no sense as it is not an equal comparison. Nevertheless, I'm sure will be some inconsistencies but OVERALL the tweaks to VAR this year appear to be much better (offside rule and red card in particular). It just needs to be judged after 10 gameweeks not 1 (just like how united need to be judged this way!)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Encroachment does not matter if it doesn't affect the outcomes of the penalty; i.e. if it goes in, then it doesn't matter ( I still don't get why fans can't grasp this).
The rules have been changed for this season. VAR is being applied for looking at keepers coming off the line so bringing up what was done last year or the year before is a moot point. I am pretty certain this rule will be applied consistently as it is pretty straightforward to enact.

Obviously there has been other changes like the handball rule, the leeway with offsides etc. so using the example of previous seasons makes no sense as it is not an equal comparison. Nevertheless, I'm sure will be some inconsistencies but OVERALL the tweaks to VAR this year appear to be much better (offside rule and red card in particular). It just needs to be judged after 10 gameweeks not 1 (just like how united need to be judged this way!)
Does a sending off count?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You said goals obviously don’t count if play is pulled back which is fair enough, I just wondered would a card stand

stevoc

Sorry, do not agree. Otherwise you have to define “common sense”. It is a binary decision.
It’s easy to define it though. If at the time the ball is struck the keeper has only came off his line by a few mm with one or both feet (as opposed to being well off their line) as DeGea did on Saturday then there’s no need for the penalty to be retaken. Simple.

It’s a nonsense rule that probably would have seen 80-90%+ of penalties retaken over the years.

lysglimt

Scout
Molde on their way out of Europe after a horrible VAT-interpretation. First they dont get a penalty when the defender blocks the ball with the elbow - and then Fenerbache get a penalty when a Molde-player gets hit even higher on the arm by a rocket from short range.

Var is a big joke

MikeeMike

It’s easy to define it though. If at the time the ball is struck the keeper has only came off his line by a few mm with one or both feet (as opposed to being well off their line) as DeGea did on Saturday then there’s no need for the penalty to be retaken. Simple.

It’s a nonsense rule that probably would have seen 80-90%+ of penalties retaken over the years.
Makes no sense. Then , if a keeper is 1mm over your “few mm” rule then a new common sense would need applying. Its very simple to apply stay on line rule.

MikeeMike

Sorry, but stating “Encroachment does not matter if it doesn't affect the outcomes of the penalty; i.e. if it goes in, then it doesn't matter ( I still don't get why fans can't grasp this). “ Is simply wrong. Otherwise all players could stand in the box.

Nas-JR

Sorry, but stating “Encroachment does not matter if it doesn't affect the outcomes of the penalty; i.e. if it goes in, then it doesn't matter ( I still don't get why fans can't grasp this). “ Is simply wrong. Otherwise all players could stand in the box.
Yes, but if at any point this encroachment alters the outcome of the penalty then it will be retaken or given as a foul if its the attacking team...I have no idea how YOU can't grasp that. An attacking player can stand in the middle of the goal as the pen is taken and will instantly give away a foul once it is... likewise a defending player can sit on the line and if the penalty is missed he will be deemed to have interfered and the pen is retaken and he is booked.

A player encroaching in the VAR era will never benefit this player or his team as he will always be punished if he became active. I don't understand how you don't see this as a positive!! All they have to do is not run into the box before the pen is taken. I guarantee you the amount of times it happens will slowly go down over the next few years which is a GOOD thing.

Nas-JR

You said goals obviously don’t count if play is pulled back which is fair enough, I just wondered would a card stand
I don't see why it would be any different! It might be that dangerous play might be punished still but I have no idea.

I am certainly no expert! Just presenting my view of what these rules are applied.

stevoc

Makes no sense. Then , if a keeper is 1mm over your “few mm” rule then a new common sense would need applying. Its very simple to apply stay on line rule.
You can’t be 1mm over a few mm, because a few mm is not defined mate. That’s where common sense comes in.

The VAR employs some common sense to avoid penalties having to be retaken unnecessarily. Which was the original point.

Having black and white rules with no common sense applied leads video being used and freezed frame by frame to rule out goals because someone’s head or kneecap was 2mm offside or rule out a good penalty save because a keepers foot was 3mm off the line.

It’s nonsense.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Letting these offside goals run and then checking is pathetic. Are they trying to kill celebrations on purpose!?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I've seen a lot of shit VAR but I've never seen the full time whistle blow and then an "old on, PEN!....... and that's full time now.." :lol: The Prem, eh.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
Wait? VAR can be used AFTER the final whistle?
No hate, just genuinely interested in the rules.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I've seen a lot of shit VAR but I've never seen the full time whistle blow and then an "old on, PEN!....... and that's full time now.." :lol: The Prem, eh.
There was one in Germany a couple years ago where they had all already left the pitch. I think it might have been half time instead of full time though.

Sad Chris

At last a ref who is willing to admit he was wrong and correct his own decision.

Bobski

What would have happened if the keeper saved it, but the ball came straight back to Bruno, would the ref allow him to strike the ball again or would the game be considered over?

Jean claude van hire

Wait? VAR can be used AFTER the final whistle?
No hate, just genuinely interested in the rules.
If the handball occurred after the final whistle then no. Obviously the phase of play was still within the allotted time and hence it was the correct decision. United were extremely fortunate, no getting away from that, but the decision was one hundred percent correct and the post match analysis by the official confirmed this.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
This handball rule is going to cause a lot of grief this season. I’m happy Fifa stepped in with their own directive after the PL’s farcical interpretation last season, but this rule is beyond parody. Any strike in the box at the arms of a defender is going to get given. Might be a record number of pens this season.

Bobski

This handball rule is going to cause a lot of grief this season. I’m happy Fifa stepped in with their own directive after the PL’s farcical interpretation last season, but this rule is beyond parody. Any strike in the box at the arms of a defender is going to get given. Might be a record number of pens this season.
It is shite, totally against the spirit of the law and game, which is to stop players doing the old Terry/Henchoz trick of throwing their body at shots with arms wide, then feigning innocence. Much like the spirit of the idea of offside was to stop goal hanging, not toenail offsides.

kiristao

Letting these offside goals run and then checking is pathetic. Are they trying to kill celebrations on purpose!?
Would you rather they stop the play only for VAR to say it was not offiside but now the team has missed the chance to score a goal?

kiristao

It is shite, totally against the spirit of the law and game, which is to stop players doing the old Terry/Henchoz trick of throwing their body at shots with arms wide, then feigning innocence. Much like the spirit of the idea of offside was to stop goal hanging, not toenail offsides.
It was criminal how often Terry used to get away with it.

K_Ash

I really thought this would remove some of the mystique of the game; always imagine about the "Hand-of-god" being VARed..the excuses for some losses (Like England against Germany - if it wasn't for Lampard's, Germany would not have scored 4 goals :lol: . The game would have been different ).. But I love it (good or bad for my team)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Would you rather they stop the play only for VAR to say it was not offiside but now the team has missed the chance to score a goal?
I’d prefer if the assistant referee (linesmen) did their jobs and flagged instead of being petrified of making a wrong call because of VAR

kiristao

I’d prefer if the assistant referee (linesmen) did their jobs and flagged instead of being petrified of making a wrong call because of VAR
They do flag it. It's just that the play doesn't get stopped right away.
You need to chose between getting 100% accurate decisions and stress free celebrations. I would much rather have the right decision.