Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

cyberman

How is everybody enjoying the stop start nature of the game at Stamford Bridge today?
Cant believe the crowd have to suffer through the VAR infested shitshow that's halting every play...

Rafaeldagold

How is everybody enjoying the stop start nature of the game at Stamford Bridge today?
Cant believe the crowd have to suffer through the VAR infested shitshow that's halting every play...
Haha oh wow.

. Number 1 there hasn’t been any incidents for it to fcuk up on. So basically you’re saying it’s good var isn’t being used- glad you’ve joined the anti var side.

Also secondly it comes to something celebrating fact var hasn’t messed up the game in 1 half of football haha- good argument!

Nickthepip

I thought this was because Leicester couldn’t string two passes together but now I can see it’s the fault of evil robot referees.

cyberman

Haha oh wow.

. Number 1 there hasn’t been any incidents for it to fcuk up on. So basically you’re saying it’s good var isn’t being used- glad you’ve joined the anti var side.

Also secondly it comes to something celebrating fact var hasn’t messed up the game in 1 half of football haha- good argument!
So VAR hasnt ruined the game then? That's all you had to say.
Maybe we should let Chelsea score a illegitimate goal, really get the juices flowing.

Rafaeldagold

So VAR hasnt ruined the game then? That's all you had to say.
Maybe we should let Chelsea score a illegitimate goal, really get the juices flowing.
Var hadn’t ruined it..because it hadn’t had a chance to yet- is that too hard to understand for you?

RUCK4444

The ball doesn't fall to Jesus without that handball so its more than just a graze?
I welcome the new clampdown to be honest. Liverpool had a streak last year of scoring offside after offside goal, dive after dive and very little was made of it. Smaller sides were getting screwed over but the Liverpool are back narrative took over that they were getting praised for it! Fecking fans think Spurs should have went out of the CL to an offside goal just to spite VAR!
Offside is offside and handball is handball. The period of pretending to read a players mind if it was intentional or if the dominating side deserved that bit of luck are over.
Also the one aspect fans don't talk about is how the wrongfully given off sides are gone. They were the killer and have now become obsolete.
Well done VAR.
Perhaps the Jesus disallowed goal is a poor example but only because of the new handball rule which is ridiculous in itself imo, I mean what happens if players start smashing the ball at defenders arms to win penalties?? Its a ridiculous rule change purely implemented in order to take out any decision making for the officials when reviewing handball incidents.
Again all this change to accommodate VAR to fix something that wasn’t really broken, to gain a slight percentage improvement.
Yes Liverpool had lucky goals given last season but it amounted to nothing in the end and that’s the case for the vast majority of poor decisions. Every team used to have a couple and we just got on with it as over the course of the season they rarely ever amounted to anything.
I could get behind this for CLEAR AND OBVIOUS errors like it was supposed to be used for but this is only week two of the league and its nothing but a distraction for almost zero gain imo.

Hawks2008

Yeah but what if someone celebrates an unfair goal that gets disallowed? They will look like a knob and have egg on their face!! Change bad, VAR bad.

cyberman

Var hadn’t ruined it..because it hadn’t had a chance to yet- is that too hard to understand for you?
Is it that hard to grasp for you that im pointing out how rarely VAR is actually used during a game?
How's this flow for you? Flowing well?

Rafaeldagold

Is it that hard to grasp for you that im pointing out how rarely VAR is actually used during a game?
So you’re saying that football without var is good & makes the game better to watch?

Glad you’ve joined the anti var side- spread the word

shaky

So you’re saying that football without var is good & makes the game better to watch?

Glad you’ve joined the anti var side- spread the word
You know what also makes the game better to watch? No offside goals, no fair goals disallowed for offside, no blatantly diving and winning penalties, less niggly fouls in the box, etc.

It's easy to notice the negative influence of VAR while forgetting there has been a positive infleunce as well, one we'll not really appreciate because we'll quickly forget the ridiculous number of game-changing wrong decisions that were occuring every single week.

bleedred

You know what also makes the game better to watch? No offside goals, no fair goals disallowed for offside, no blatantly diving and winning penalties, less niggly fouls in the box, etc.

It's easy to notice the negative influence of VAR while forgetting there has been a positive infleunce as well, one we'll not really appreciate because we'll quickly forget the ridiculous number of game-changing wrong decisions that were occuring every single week.
Yeah right!

bleedred

You do know that less doesn't mean none?
Yeah, I understand it’s ok for VAR to miss these ” niggly”fouls. As long as it gets the 1 mm offside we are all good.

Do you think the result yesterday was fair one?

bleedred

What it really means is that the ref didn’t have much important decisions to make and even when he had to, he got most things right. And most refs do in most games.

But When a ref commits a feck up, we vilify them. But when VAR fecks up, “it’s subjective”, “it ll get better”,”blame the rules, not the var”,”Neanderthal”,”brexit”.....,,,,

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Because the crowd who actually go to games don't matter. var is purely and simply for the armchair supporter to quell their outrage when viewing a wrong decision after watching replay after replay.
I liked and supported the original ethos of var being used for clear and obvious mistakes however it's never been used like that and a lot of decisions are still under the interpretation of the full kit wanker sitting in a van.

Rafaeldagold

Any VAR positives are far far outweighed by its many negatives.

No there weren’t awful refereeing mistakes every week- talk about massive exaggeration.

The game today was a really good watch because var wasn’t used. It’s utter shite & needs to go

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't "love" it, but it's definitely a step in the right direction, a net positive for the sport.

shaky

Yeah, I understand it’s ok for VAR to miss these ” niggly”fouls. As long as it gets the 1 mm offside we are all good.

Do you think the result yesterday was fair one?
I don't think it was a good call yesterday. The best implimentation of VAR isn't going to happen until a good few years down the line because it's still very much in an experimental stage. Overall, I think it still does a lot more good than bad, even in its current state.

shaky

No there weren’t awful refereeing mistakes every week- talk about massive exaggeration.

The game today was a really good watch because var wasn’t used. It’s utter shite & needs to go
Three were contentious, game changing decisions in a vast number of games. You must have a short memory. It was ruining big games worse than VAR ever has. That's the only reason VAR was introduced in the first place.

zenith

It's clearly a work in progress but absolutely necessary for the game to evolve.

bleedred

I don't think it was a good call yesterday. The best implimentation of VAR isn't going to happen until a good few years down the line because it's still very much in an experimental stage. Overall, I think it still does a lot more good than bad, even in its current state.
I disagree. Yesterdays results without VAR would have been 3-2 and city would not have had the penalty. With VAR, just the goal was chalked off and the penalty was not given. This created an internal bias in the result and Spurs were favored. Again, how is it different than any mistakes the ref makes. The result yesterday was probably unfair but we laugh because its city and it will happen to every team during the season, where VAR screws them over, just like without VAR, they get screwed over in some games by the ref.

As for the earlier stages, I don't think if its at an experimental stage, its necessary to be done at the PL level. It shouldn't be experimented at big stages.

sherrinford

Don’t be silly - it’s all about getting the right decisions.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah right!

I think it was a penalty. But the moment you allow VAR to overturn decisions that ultimately are subjective calls by the referee in the moment, there will be even more questions as for why VAR didn't intervene in x too. The biggest challenge we have with VAR is when it should be used. The question is not if it gets the decision right or wrong, but rather what decisions and moments of the game it should look at.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
How so?. You dont think Lamela on Rodri was a penalty?
I think it would have been fair if the ref had called penalty, but I also think it's fair to not use VAR on it as it wasn't an obvious mistake. It was just a bog standard "coulde have been called for" in my eyes. If it happened against United I would have called for a penalty and be angry about it due to emotions, but in general I'd say it's fair enough if the ref doesn't call it.

sherrinford

You’re not black and white at all :)

I’m saying bigger picture, I’d prefer the game wasn’t stopped so much, each decision questioned as it doesn’t flow naturally.
Hence the balance of goal line technology.
Bigger picture, I just want the right decisions made as often as possible. If a throw-in on the halfway line is given the wrong was by the on-pitch ref I think it should be overturned.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Bigger picture, I just want the right decisions made as often as possible. If a throw-in on the halfway line is given the wrong was by the on-pitch ref I think it should be overturned.
This would be practically impossible to implement. We can't have a VAR stop every time the play stops for VAR to double check that everything is in order.

sherrinford

I think it was a penalty. But the moment you allow VAR to overturn decisions that ultimately are subjective calls by the referee in the moment, there will be even more questions as for why VAR didn't intervene in x too. The biggest challenge we have with VAR is when it should be used. The question is not if it gets the decision right or wrong, but rather what decisions and moments of the game it should look at.
The VAR ref will make a much more informed decision than the on-pitch ref. It should be used as much as possible.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Does any City fan genuinely believe there's "Bias" against them?!

After all the pens they've got this last few years!

Anustart89

Hopefully the VAR system will come with some additional accountability for VARs as well. Previously they could just go with the "I didn't see it properly but now that I see it I think it's a pen/red/whatever". If I'm Graeme Scott's boss I'd be asking him "You're sat there watching that penalty incident on a fecking TV screen and you don't think that's a penalty? Off to the Championship you go".

Was he really stuck in traffic today or was that just an excuse for him to save face as he was demoted?

bleedred

I think it would have been fair if the ref had called penalty, but I also think it's fair to not use VAR on it as it wasn't an obvious mistake. It was just a bog standard "coulde have been called for" in my eyes. If it happened against United I would have called for a penalty and be angry about it due to emotions, but in general I'd say it's fair enough if the ref doesn't call it.
Wasn't an obvious mistake?.. Seriously?. It doesn't get anymore obvious than that. Even the spurs supporters would have looked at that and thought, we got away with it. I am sorry, if we are going to defend such decisions to prove that VAR is working alright, its madness. How hard is it to admit that VAR screwed this up and incidents like this should be overturned by the VAR in the future?. Instead we get these"subjective" and "could have been" nonsense. It was a pen any day of the year and if anyone argues its not a pen, they have no clue what they are talking about.

bleedred

Firstly, I dont think in a million years its a subjective call. If the fracas had happened somewhere in the middle of the D, where the player wasn't going to get the ball, then maybe its fair to say, it wasnt a pen. But this was in the near post and Rodri was as close to the ball as possible. So, I am sorry, if we are going to call that a subjective call, I am not buying it.

Secondly, like you mentioned, the "When" of using VAR is always going to be a problem. You cannot keep picking and choosing it on what you want to review, like the VAR did yesterday, then one team or the other is going to be screwed over, just like without VAR.

Rafaeldagold

Three were contentious, game changing decisions in a vast number of games. You must have a short memory. It was ruining big games worse than VAR ever has. That's the only reason VAR was introduced in the first place.
Nope never happened. It was 95% correct. Refs were not as awful as you make out.

VAR 100% ruins big games more & if you can’t see that you’re deluded. VAR was introduced as it was a nice shiny toy they wanted to use without thinking ‘ will this actually work in football..’