Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I hope they start using VAR to see if the coin toss happens correctly, just to screw with the anti VAR nazis.

Rafaeldagold

I hope they start using VAR to see if the coin toss happens correctly, just to screw with the anti VAR nazis.
Anti VAR nazis haha . Wow good one.

I mean I wouldn’t put it past them to analyse the coin toss- they already look for 1mm offsides depending on which freeze frame you use.

I look forward to the day when we can be told the result a week or so after after a thorough VAR examination

Rory 7

I don't understand why they didn't just copy the tennis. If managers had a number of 'challenges' per match the drama around VAR would add more to the spectacle. It would just feel like a better use of tech rather than some faceless panel reviewing every kick live.

cyberman

What it really means is that the ref didn’t have much important decisions to make and even when he had to, he got most things right. And most refs do in most games.

But When a ref commits a feck up, we vilify them. But when VAR fecks up, “it’s subjective”, “it ll get better”,”blame the rules, not the var”,”Neanderthal”,”brexit”.....,,,,
When has VAR fecked up?

cyberman

Wasn't an obvious mistake?.. Seriously?. It doesn't get anymore obvious than that. Even the spurs supporters would have looked at that and thought, we got away with it. I am sorry, if we are going to defend such decisions to prove that VAR is working alright, its madness. How hard is it to admit that VAR screwed this up and incidents like this should be overturned by the VAR in the future?. Instead we get these"subjective" and "could have been" nonsense. It was a pen any day of the year and if anyone argues its not a pen, they have no clue what they are talking about.
VAR can't overturn subjective decisions. They can overrule black and white but if they tell the ref he might want to have aanother look and the ref says its not necessary, i had a clear view then there's nothing VAR can do.
Your frustration comes from not understanding the scope of VAR.

Bobski

Yeah right!

Danny Rose makes multiple attempts to grab Aguero in that same corner. The whole Smalling and VAR narrative made me scoff at the time because everyone is doing it if you pay attention.

caid

Danny Rose makes multiple attempts to grab Aguero in that same corner. The whole Smalling and VAR narrative made me scoff at the time because everyone is doing it if you pay attention.
Idd, i wouldn't object to penalties being given for it. Even if it leads to a couple penalties a game for a week or two, as it happens on every corner in every game. That Rodri foul is pretty soft though. I'd be shocked if there wasn't half a dozen better examples of it in other games this weekend.
I don't like the new handball rule much, I guess it removes any doubt from the decision but I cant imagine attackers not learning to game the shit out of it very quickly.

montpelier

Our top ref was looking straight at that City handball - I think he waited for VAR to intervene, which it did, imo correctly, the path of the ball is completely changed. Oliver done the same for the non-pen imo, but wasn't helped out that time.

Attackers not gaining from any handball seems sensible to me. Trickier now for defenders, obviously.

Player behaviour has improved too, I think.

I am opposed but not as much as I was. I'd still go without, unless they can 'solve' the mess of the offside - that's all of it not just the line-drawing stuff.

sherrinford

Well that’s absolutely ridiculous.
Not at all. I mentioned it earlier - if a throw-in on the halfway line is given the wrong way it should be overturned. Your insistence that using replays in an attempt to ensure the correct decisions are made by the officials is detrimental to the game is what’s ridiculous here.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
This place is going to meltdown when we get the first ridiculous (but correct) call against us.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Wasn't an obvious mistake?.. Seriously?. It doesn't get anymore obvious than that. Even the spurs supporters would have looked at that and thought, we got away with it. I am sorry, if we are going to defend such decisions to prove that VAR is working alright, its madness. How hard is it to admit that VAR screwed this up and incidents like this should be overturned by the VAR in the future?. Instead we get these"subjective" and "could have been" nonsense. It was a pen any day of the year and if anyone argues its not a pen, they have no clue what they are talking about.
We had "subjective" and "could have been" nonsense before. One of the things people harp on about as a negative for VAR is that it takes that away. Can't win with that group. :p

Rafaeldagold

Not at all. I mentioned it earlier - if a throw-in on the halfway line is given the wrong way it should be overturned. Your insistence that using replays in an attempt to ensure the correct decisions are made by the officials is detrimental to the game is what’s ridiculous here.
You would change the game beyond all recognition- but you don’t seem to care, I have to then ask why you’re into football if it’s very nature & free flowing aspect is something you want to dismantle. Doesn’t make sense

LVGWay

VAR arguably creates more controversy for the fans, if that’s the right word. That City v Spurs game in CL prime example. Pep falling to his knees and rubbing his bald head after it was disallowed. Perfect :lol:

JMack1234

People need to understand that the majority of the issues we're seeing come from people messing with the laws of the game, not VAR itself.

Furthermore, we're in the earliest of early stages when it comes to VAR. We just need to get used to it and move on.

Rafaeldagold

People need to understand that the majority of the issues we're seeing come from people messing with the laws of the game, not VAR itself.

Furthermore, we're in the earliest of early stages when it comes to VAR. We just need to get used to it and move on.
Nope VAR is the issue. Overseeing every tiny little infringement.

Nope VAR has been around for a while & still is & always will be shite.

And nope won’t get used to something which detracts from the game & makes it less enjoyable. Once enough people see it for how rubbish it is it’ll be gone again

bleedred

VAR can't overturn subjective decisions. They can overrule black and white but if they tell the ref he might want to have aanother look and the ref says its not necessary, i had a clear view then there's nothing VAR can do.
Your frustration comes from not understanding the scope of VAR.
That’s not what happened yesterday. Micheal Oliver clearly tells some some city player, he didn’t hear back anything from VAR.

Honestly, calling that incident as a subjective call is non sensical. Are we going to say every foul in the box is a subjective call, just to defend VAR?

bleedred

Nope VAR is the issue. Overseeing every tiny little infringement.

Nope VAR has been around for a while & still is & always will be shite.

And nope won’t get used to something which detracts from the game & makes it less enjoyable. Once enough people see it for how rubbish it is it’ll be gone again
I don’t think that’s ever going to happen. It’s going to be tried and re tried with different setups. I honestly don’t see it being reverted even if/when the majority opinion changes.

cyberman

The city non-penalty was a feck up. But obviously you are going to defend that as a “subjective” call.
Its literally what it is though. You cant dismiss the obvious, correct answer because it doesn't suit your argument.

sherrinford

You would change the game beyond all recognition- but you don’t seem to care, I have to then ask why you’re into football if it’s very nature & free flowing aspect is something you want to dismantle. Doesn’t make sense
How so? It has not and would not - the game would be the same. Free flowing aspect? The play is stopped all the time in football for various reasons, it’s really not that constant. Goal kicks, throw-ins, corners, free kicks - teams typically set/ reset themselves during every one of these moments during a game. And the play can be reviewed while the game goes on.

bleedred

Its literally what it is though. You cant dismiss the obvious, correct answer because it doesn't suit your argument.
Ok, yeah. It’s just my agenda.Thats why I have said VAR was right for not awarding the goal! But every foul in the box is now a subjective decision just so it suits VAR.

Last edited:

Rafaeldagold

How so? It has not and would not - the game would be the same. Free flowing aspect? The play is stopped all the time in football for various reasons, it’s really not that constant. Goal kicks, throw-ins, corners, free kicks - teams typically set/ reset themselves during every one of these moments during a game. And the play can be reviewed while the game goes on.
So you agree football is better with the free flowing aspect & it makes the game more entertaining? So because we have have unavoidable stoppages In the game that means we should keep a system like VAR & even make it more intrusive to the free flowing aspect?

Isn’t that stupid?

Anders80

I get it. People who hate VAR are those that love dives, offside goals and handballs because to them cheating and wrong decisions are an integral part of the game. Rules are not important as long as they get their kick from watching a game. They don't want VAR to interrupt their rush of adrenaline.

The other side is not so impatient when there is a minute or two of VAR checks. Some even find them an exciting addition in its own way. It's important to them that the match is fair and that correct decisions are made.

I know there are a handful of anti-VAR crusaders in here, but the majority like VAR, and pretty much everyone I speak to are delighted that football finally takes advantage of modern solutions.

Reactions: Ødegaard

bleedred

I get it. People who hate VAR are those that love dives, offside goals and handballs because to them cheating and wrong decisions are an integral part of the game. Rules are not important as long as they get their kick from watching a game. They don't want VAR to interrupt their rush of adrenaline.
Stop with stupid strawman and put forward valid arguments if you are for it.

I know there are a handful of anti-VAR crusaders in here, but the majority like VAR, and pretty much everyone I speak to are delighted that football finally takes advantage of modern solutions.
Good for you. Just because majority like it doesn’t mean the arguments put forward by people who dislike VAR are invalid and not worth discussing.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
So you want the game to be in constant review while normal stoppages are happening? This is getting out of hand if the majority want this. Why bother with refs at all. Feck it why bother with real players. Holograms controlled by coaches and electronic refs seems to be what you want.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It is so mental to me that the people I go to matches with every week who all support different teams are all against VAR, yet here it is opposite.

The idea they’re all against technology is awful as well.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It is so mental to me that the people I go to matches with every week who all support different teams are all against VAR, yet here it is opposite.

The idea they’re all against technology is awful as well.
Obviously those at home are watching super slow replays so Var is going to be in their heads. Every play at matches aren’t shown again and again in slow mo. People at home also believe Var is a necessity because refs cant see in slo motion because they are human.

montpelier

That’s not what happened yesterday. Micheal Oliver clearly tells some some city player, he didn’t hear back anything from VAR.

Honestly, calling that incident as a subjective call is non sensical. Are we going to say every foul in the box is a subjective call, just to defend VAR?
Yes.

montpelier

Not sure why so many are up in arms about the City disallowed goal, looks absolutely the right decision to me. :confused:
I agree. Seems like the wrong one to be picking on to me. The non pen is the real contentious incident. Oliver doesn't want to do it, thinks VAR will help him out, and then there isn't a pen.

Carolina Red

Staff
So you want the game to be in constant review while normal stoppages are happening? This is getting out of hand if the majority want this. Why bother with refs at all. Feck it why bother with real players. Holograms controlled by coaches and electronic refs seems to be what you want.
Yes, exactly. I’m glad you’ve finally seen the light.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Or just throw away your phone, why bother with electronics at all?

Rafaeldagold

The other side is not so impatient when there is a minute or two of VAR checks. Some even find them an exciting addition in its own way. It's important to them that the match is fair and that correct decisions are made.

How did you even watch football back in the dark ages? Must have been torture for you

Anders80

Stop with stupid strawman and put forward valid arguments if you are for it.
Those are valid arguments considering what you highlighted is exactly what VAR is supposed to prevent. VAR opponents literally prefer to have more dives, offside goals and handballs because the "flow" of the game is more important to them.

I for one am sick of all the ref fails, to the point where it removes the enjoyment of the game, and thus VAR is a great improvement. Hence, I can make the same argument as the "flow" lovers, only that I prefer the game to actually follow the rules as often as possible.

Rafaeldagold

Those are valid arguments considering what you highlighted is exactly what VAR is supposed to prevent. VAR opponents literally prefer to have more dives, offside goals and handballs because the "flow" of the game is more important to them.

I for one am sick of all the ref fails, to the point where it removes the enjoyment of the game, and thus VAR is a great improvement. Hence, I can make the same argument as the "flow" lovers, only that I prefer the game to actually follow the rules as often as possible.
You over exaggerate so much, but to be expected.

Refs were never as terrible as you suggest- major decisions they missed were very few & far between. 95% correct decisions I believe- so you must be Mis remembering

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I just find it utterly ridiculous that goals are being ruled offside because an attacker has his big toe beyond the last defender.