Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You think it wouldve been better for the sport for City to go through on the basis of a wrong refereeing decision rather than Spurs reaching those stages for the first time ever? Okay, you've said all that you needed to about yourself right there. fecks sake :lol:
Wow, that really was some weird reasoning by him. Fecking hell.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
VAR is the best thing ever introduced in football. What are you talking about? Game is finally fair. Sure, sometimes it is annoying, sometimes it kills mood but it is fair.
People now have problems because it was "only 5 cm offside"? Well it is offside, isn't it? 5 cm or 5m, it is offside.
Agree 100%. VAR is great. We finally have something that checks facts. People whining how their feelings are more important than facts - get a grip.

Get better friends, nobody should receive 12 texts about VAR on a summer afternoon :(
:D:D:D:D

Moonwalker

Nothing's the way it used to be when I was young. Youngsters have no respect for their elders anymore. I miss the old days when men were men, and you could trust your neighbor.

Now fecking technology is ruining football too, with all the correct decisions. It's disgusting.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We basically had a rule/law that nobody gave a feck to stick to, dont remember last time when ref made a retake penalty call.
Now they have to. Will it affect the tugging of shirts that everybody screams about when it happens in the box? What is the point of being a referee if you ignore the rules you are supposed to uphold?

R'hllor

Killing emotion of the game, are you even watching a game, its not like fans taking eye drops like in movie Equilibrium

Hawks2008

Should have been implemented sooner, god forbid the correct decisions are made on the pitch.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You keep citing that one game which was an extraordinary game and with lots on the line . I have seen lots of games in the last 2 years where the entertainment has been significantly reduced because of VAR. I am not against Var but it is a hard sell because the beauty of football is in the pace of the game . My favourite sport is American football which has had reviews for years but people in general hate the sport because it has too many breaks and now football is going that way
I keep citing that game as it's a perfect example of why VAR is needed. A massive game which wouldve had a drastically different outcome if not for VAR correcting the decisions. Football is not heading down the path of NFL, by nature it can't as NFL is constant stoppages in play because of how the sport is played while football is constant flowing.

I also disagree that games have been ruined by VAR. Games have definitely been ruined by bad refereeing decisions in the past though, multiple times, and there is no worse thing than that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The encroachment rule has been there for years. Rice was there to clear the ball he was that far in the box. About time it was punished and as people have said goalkeepers being well off their line before a penalty is even kicked.
Shame that with all these new rules, they decided against that penalty rule. They wanted to install rule in which penalty kick would be like in shootout. If gk saves it, it is goal kick. Game stops.

El Zoido

VAR might well have given us another CL title (Scholes goal wrongly given offside against Porto in 2004). Games are so marginal that one wrong decision can change everything. I get that it can be frustrating to have goals constantly checked, but I’d rather have that Scholes goal checked and correctly awarded than have the “magic” of Porto winning after a shit decision.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
People saying “oh but var made the champions league semi final dramatic” are missing the point. That was an incredible game.

Most VAR will be like today. Slowing the game down. Sucking the life out of the stadium.

Anyone here a season ticket holder and love VAR?

R'hllor

Now they have to. Will it affect the tugging of shirts that everybody screams about when it happens in the box? What is the point of being a referee if you ignore the rules you are supposed to uphold?
Exactly, if people think its dumb, scrap a rule instead of raging at system putting spotlight on those breaking rules moments.

DomesticTadpole

Shame that with all these new rules, they decided against that penalty rule. They wanted to install rule in which penalty kick would be like in shootout. If gk saves it, it is goal kick. Game stops.
You don't get encroachment from Declan Rice's in shootouts though do you. He would have been stood on the halfway line with his teammates.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ok so everyone decides there’s a tolerance of 1cm. How are you going to work out where the tolerance level ends and the non tolerance level (2cm) starts? You’re back to square one. VAR would then be in an even more subjective state of deciding things, which will still have to take place. The alternative (and far more logical and simple) is to call all offsides offside. If it’s ridiculously close, so be it.
No you're overthinking this

The football authorities and clubs need to come together and determine what an acceptable tolerance is, and what parts of the body apply in determining offside. Because there is a contradiction between the letter of the rule and the spirit of the rule.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Indifferent towards it. It is the best thing if it goes our way and it is the worst thing ever if it doesn’t.

Self-interest before anything else. :) Mark Twin once said, it is not the strongest that survive but the one that is most capable of adapting to change. So clubs better start following the rules in training and learning how to cheat var.

R'hllor

People saying “oh but var made the champions league semi final dramatic” are missing the point. That was an incredible game.

Most VAR will be like today. Slowing the game down. Sucking the life out of the stadium.

Anyone here a season ticket holder and love VAR?
You cant suck a life from already dead atmosphere in the stadium.

Matt007a

VAR is a good thing but it needs streamlining a bit. It’ll get better over time I’m sure. What’s the point in having rules if they’re not applied to the most accurate degree they can be?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Now we just need some bellend to get on an open bus tour around stadiums, with a banner that says "£100m saved from scrapping VAR can be invested into cutting TV sports subscriptions", create a shit load of hysteria among the football fan-base before forcing some batty vote on matters the general football universe have no detailed knowledge on.

DomesticTadpole

That's not what it was retaken for. Rice encroached into the box enough that he managed to clear the ball after the save.
Which if he hadn't been in the box he might not have cleared it and Aguero might have got to it instead. Looking at it I didn't think he was the only West Ham player in the box, he was just the furthest forward.

stepic

No you're overthinking this

The football authorities and clubs need to come together and determine what an acceptable tolerance is, and what parts of the body apply in determining offside. Because there is a contradiction between the letter of the rule and the spirit of the rule.
I’m not. I’m just extending the logic. What you’re proposing just adds unnecessary subjectivity.

Being able to score very very close offside goals has never been part of the spirit of the game.

Moonwalker

I’m not. I’m just extending the logic. What you’re proposing just adds unnecessary subjectivity.

Being able to score very very close offside goals has never been part of the spirit of the game.
It couldn't possibly add subjectivity. The worst it can be accused of is not resolving an existing subjectivity. If there's no change in regards to close calls what's with all the outrage?

ForestRGoinUp

It’s actually always been part of the game. So have the ecstatic celebrations that came with them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
VAR is a good thing but it needs streamlining a bit. It’ll get better over time I’m sure. What’s the point in having rules if they’re not applied to the most accurate degree they can be?
Exactly.

VAR is a necessary evil. I'll tolerate interruptions to the game so long as it prevents my team from losing to a goal that should never have stood.

The positives far outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

Fully Fledged

Which if he hadn't been in the box he might not have cleared it and Aguero might have got to it instead. Looking at it I didn't think he was the only West Ham player in the box, he was just the furthest forward.
I never complained about that decision. I thought that it was fair.

The mm offside calls though that were given by hand drawn lines were really iffy to me. Especially the great team goal that got ruled out for the smallest of margins. I'd want that goal to stand every day of the week.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
We've had instant replay in all of our sports here in the States for years. You lot just need to get used to/better at it. In several years, you'll come to love VAR.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Your extension doesn't make any sense. I'll try this again.

The offside rule was introduced to prevent the clear advantage caused by an attacker 'goal hanging'. That advantage is not gained when an attacker is 0.1 mm ahead. When is that advantage gained? It wouldn't hurt for there to be consensus on when a significant advantage is gained, and have the VAR use that point as the trigger for determining offside.

You saying "there will always be ambiguity so let's set the point at zero" makes no sense.

DomesticTadpole

I never complained about that decision. I thought that it was fair.

The mm offside calls though that were given by hand drawn lines were really iffy to me. Especially the great team goal that got ruled out for the smallest of margins. I'd want that goal to stand every day of the week.
It is supposedly the best technology around, so we are going to have to take their word for it. If you allow for margin of error then where does it stop.

Irrational.

With the amount of money in the game it's perfectly reasonable to ensure the results are correct. It could make a massive difference to clubs' fortunes. Plus the refs/ linesmen/women are far too unreliable and incompetent to officiate the game fairly.

R'hllor

You cant even have a discussion, some of them behaving like they just came out of their caves. Some of them dont even understand to rules, like arguing that 2nd pen attempt should also be retaken