Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nothing to do with being old. You’ll see lots of young people against it.

I’m 27 and I hate it.

It’ll be the people who go to games who despise it.
It would make sense if the people who go to games were less fond of it than those who don't.

Unfortunately for that argument, the people who go to games are the small minority as opposed to all those who watch football. So the game isn't going to be designed for their benefit. The majority of people who watch football in general are in favour of VAR, so..... *shrugs*

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The worst thing about VAR is it takes the raw emotion away, any goal scored from through balls or balls over the top is going to lead to players and fans being too paranoid to celebrate.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Far too incompetent? Weren’t they judged to be getting 90% or more of the decisions correct? Without stopping game flow...
Don’t let the fact the game had already stopped get in the way.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They’re patently not necessary, hence the health of the sport. A bad decision one game was always made up by one the next game, or often just later in the same game.
Oh come on, football is a multi-billion pounds industry, it cannot rely on desicions evening themselves out over the course of a season. Which is probably why all the major European clubs supported the decision to implement VAR.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Oh come on, football is a multi-billion pounds industry, it cannot rely on desicions evening themselves out over the course of a season. Which is probably why all the major European clubs supported the decision to implement VAR.
Besides there is no way to prove that decisions even themselves like that.

ForestRGoinUp

It’s a multi billion pound industry yes, in entertainment. Not sure how it can be argued that VAR won’t inhibit some of that entertainment.

If the aim is to appease the boring sacks who only care about the winner/loser of a game being 100% accurate, then the game will become less entertaining.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They’re patently not necessary, hence the health of the sport. A bad decision one game was always made up by one the next game, or often just later in the same game.
That's absolute nonsense and magical thinking.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Your extension doesn't make any sense. I'll try this again.

The offside rule was introduced to prevent the clear advantage caused by an attacker 'goal hanging'. That advantage is not gained when an attacker is 0.1 mm ahead. When is that advantage gained? It wouldn't hurt for there to be consensus on when a significant advantage is gained, and have the VAR use that point as the trigger for determining offside.

You saying "there will always be ambiguity so let's set the point at zero" makes no sense.
Then change the rules and make them tolerant to whatever is the right amount, but let's not cry about "omg somebody is actually checking that the referee isn't making bullsh*t calls".

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It would make sense if the people who go to games were less fond of it than those who don't.

Unfortunately for that argument, the people who go to games are the small minority as opposed to all those who watch football. So the game isn't going to be designed for their benefit. The majority of people who watch football in general are in favour of VAR, so..... *shrugs*

We will see how long football would last without the people going to games.

ForestRGoinUp

That's absolute nonsense and magical thinking.
You’ve never said the table doesn’t lie then I take it? Or anyone else saying this is absolutely necessary, implying the table has been woefully inaccurate all these years...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We will see how long football would last without the people going to games.
The point is people aren't going to stop going to games because of VAR, or at least not enough of them to remotely worry those implementing VAR. They'll still go, they'll just complain more.

Fully Fledged

You don’t reckon Fabianski would’ve been able to save that if his feet were touching the line? Being deliberately obtuse?
The penalty wasn't retaken because Fabianski was off his line. It was retaken because Rice encroached.

I think the argument is that without encroachment the penalty taker is odds on to get to any ball rebounding off the keeper while the keeper is on the ground. Meaning that they will be able to roll the ball into an empty net.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The point is people aren't going to stop going to games because of VAR, or at least not enough of them to remotely worry those implementing VAR. They'll still go, they'll just complain more.
I don’t think you get how bad it is waiting for VAR in the stadium. It’ll definitely have an impact.

Moonwalker

Football will be none the poorer for anyone daft enough to stop going to games because of this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You’ve never said the table doesn’t lie then I take it? Or anyone else saying this is absolutely necessary, implying the table has been woefully inaccurate all these years...
Just because it's a cliche doesn't make it true. It's nonsense. Bad decisions can absolutely go without ever being evened out, as evidenced by common sense.

Hawks2008

That's just so vague, letting bad decisions slide cause maybe another one can make up for it is not an efficient way of judging the game. There's no way of ensuring that you can make up for it and you cannot prove things even out. Correct decisions need to be made and rules need to be applied, otherwise why not just feck the refs and the rules off?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Then change the rules and make them tolerant to whatever is the right amount, but let's not cry about "omg somebody is actually checking that the referee isn't making bullsh*t calls".
That's exactly what I'm saying. VAR is doing it's job right based on the rules (which in this case are shown to be bullshit when implemented at this level of precision).

ForestRGoinUp

Football will be none the poorer for anyone daft enough to sop going to games because of this.
Why then are there pundits, sat pitchside today, saying something doesn’t feel right about this? That it is affecting the atmosphere.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It’s a multi billion pound industry yes, in entertainment. Not sure how it can be argued that VAR won’t inhibit some of that entertainment.

If the aim is to appease the boring sacks who only care about the winner/loser of a game being 100% accurate, then the game will become less entertaining.
You're giving yourself and the rest of us football fans too much credit mate. They don't give a flying feck about us.

VAR was implemented to prevent the neverending whining from football managers/players complaining about games being won or lost on a poor refereeing decision.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t think you get how bad it is waiting for VAR in the stadium. It’ll definitely have an impact.
So bad that people will stop going to games in huge numbers, in a way that hasn't apllied to any other sports with VAResque systems? I very much doubt it. If so I've greatly overestimated how much match going fans actually like football.

Fully Fledged

When they decided to go with VAR it was supposed to be only for Clear and Obvious decisions. If they had stuck with clear and obvious even for offside it would have been far better as far as I'm concerned.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
VAR is not good until it affect the team we support then we need VAR. really crazy reactions here. VAR is here to stay, every new change is difficult to accept at first.
In time, we'll get used to it and adapt to it. Its not use complaining.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
This sounds like a S*n headline.

Nothing wrong with VAR. The sooner football is brought in line with the other sports to reflect a fair result the better.
100% This .

VAR is incredible. Love it. If it wasn't for VAR we wouldn't have had that special night in Paris. Stop hating. Enjoy your life for god sakes.