Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Anustart89

Yeah, guy has his arms 60° out from his body and they're not overruling it.

Now if Oliver himself had gone to the sideline I'm absolutely certain he would've changed his mind, but it's much harder to overrule your friend than having him change his own mind. Bring in the pitchside monitors, you absolute twats.

Oh well, at least the people's team is winning the league so all's good at the referees' association.

Greck

This is NOT just a premier league thing.

It’s riticised in every league.
I bet you every poll everywhere among any demographic will be in support of VAR. Those that don't like it better brace up because it isn't going anywhere just to appease the minority

Le Red

Still, it's a good thing that it happened in such a high profile match. Questions will be asked and they can't save face regards how a penalty wasn't given there. Pressure to change protocol will be immense.

Amarsdd

its better if they just get rid of the pretense they're using VAR instead of picking and choosing moments to use it

Jev

Really, really considering giving up the game until they fix this farce. Every game I watch seems to be an argument to just stop watching football. First Spurs-Sheffield yesterday and now this. It's unfathomable to me how the Premier League can look at this shambles week after week and do nothing to fix it.

DavidDeSchmikes

Premier League referees are to be encouraged to make more use of pitchside VAR monitors, referees' chief Mike Riley is expected to tell clubs later this week.

All 20 top-flight clubs will be represented at a meeting with Riley in central London on Thursday.

Top of the agenda will be the ongoing controversies around VAR, which continued on Saturday when Sheffield United had a goal ruled out at Tottenham because of a marginal offside decision.

Riley will be quizzed about various VAR issues, including inconsistencies in decision-making and the time it takes for rulings to be made, which in some instances have been several minutes after goals are scored.

It is acknowledged that solutions are not straightforward. However, it is anticipated Riley will tell clubs the on-field referee will make more use of monitors.

It was envisaged that would happen from the point VAR came into use in the Premier League but Riley advised referees not to use them in order to prevent additional delays.

It is now felt the on-field referee is best placed to make marginal calls because they are more aware of the flow of the game and the atmosphere at the time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50367354

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Still, it's a good thing that it happened in such a high profile match. Questions will be asked and they can't save face regards how a penalty wasn't given there. Pressure to change protocol will be immense.
Guaranteed it'll be forgotten about in a couple of weeks, if that. All the talk after the match will be about how Liverpool are about to win their first Premier League title and nobody can stop them.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes I hate Liverpool (but also hate City) but what is the point in VAR?

The idea is to be consistent. Clear handball by TAA and Salah was offside.

It's time referees were mic'd up so we could understand their decisions. Or you should be able to hear the VAR as you can in cricket.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yes I hate Liverpool (but also hate City) but what is the point in VAR?

The idea is to be consistent. Clear handball by TAA and Salah was offside.

It's time referees were mic'd up so we could understand their decisions. Or you should be able to hear the VAR as you can in cricket.
Was Salah offside? We've seen nothing to prove it either way.

acnumber9

I’m not big for conspiracy theories but how did they check it so quickly when every other decision takes an age?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Guaranteed it'll be forgotten about in a couple of weeks, if that. All the talk after the match will be about how Liverpool are about to win their first Premier League title and nobody can stop them.

Couple of weeks?

Try Monday morning.

SER19

I think var is brilliant. But it should be taken out of Premier league. The officials and var officials are utterly incompetent and still just make decisions based on pressure/narrative and possible even worse, bias. I'd rather they just feck up games the way we know and love.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I just want to hear an explanation on why the handball wasn't given. That's all, just explain it.

It's absurd how these decisions are forever kept a secret.

El Zoido

I’m not big for conspiracy theories but how did they check it so quickly when every other decision takes an age?
They’re desperate for Liverpool to win it. It’s so obvious they’re not even trying to hide it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They had a piece of paper out last week to prove Firmino was onside. This won't get as much coverage.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yea either way it raises questions. How does it take over 3 minutes to line up yesterday but only 10 seconds today? Onside or offside it just doesn't add up.

Similarly for the handball. These are the quickest checks in VAR history.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If they had the first replay I saw, it didn't show the right angle. Maybe that's their reason

brian017

How can a call that tight take 30 seconds to check when the one yesterday took 4 mins? We didn't see the VAR lines or anything. I was a big advocate of VAR but I'm slowly turning against it

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not bothered to watch but just came in here figuring to see Liverpool have had some help and I’m not surprised.

The push to have Liverpool win the league is so obvious.
WWE in the premier league... Not just Liverpool on a script though imo...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yea either way it raises questions. How does it take over 3 minutes to line up yesterday but only 10 seconds today? Onside or offside it just doesn't add up.

Similarly for the handball. These are the quickest checks in VAR history.
I want to know what would have happened if they'd decided that was a pen, bearing in mind Liverpool had raced down the end and scored!
Now that could have caused a riot. But would have taken an insanely brave ref

arnie_ni

If its a handball by silva, advantage is over when it hits TAA and should be a liverpool fk in their box. Either way play has to stop

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I want to know what would have happened if they'd decided that was a pen, bearing in mind Liverpool had raced down the end and scored!
It's happened in other leagues. Liverpool goal is called back and penalty given. The real interesting part is it actually came off a city arm first. With the city arm too and Liverpool scoring the refs have clearly pussied out and bottled it.

RUCK4444

Really, really considering giving up the game until they fix this farce. Every game I watch seems to be an argument to just stop watching football. First Spurs-Sheffield yesterday and now this. It's unfathomable to me how the Premier League can look at this shambles week after week and do nothing to fix it.
I completely agree, was just saying yesterday to my mates that it’s genuinely tarnished the game and experience for me.

Watching football is a big deal for me, probably the only thing I do in my spare time, never miss a United game but will watch any and all footy. VAR is just an horrendous stain on what was a feckin brilliant game and a brilliant league.

Putting todays calls aside that toe being offside yesterday in the Sheffield game was nothing other than laughable.

Anybody who pays a subscription and looks forward to tuning in to this BORING, PEDANDTIC farce must never have enjoyed the sport in the first place.

Sport is ultimately entertainment, not about taking the rules to the ultimate ridiculous extreme and then arguing about every decision even more than when VAR was here in the first place!!

Anybody defending it at this point is in denial or too proud to change their previous opinion.

El Zoido

They should have disallowed the goal and given City a penalty.