Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

montpelier

Yeah so give one. You can't just let play go on.
I think so. Unless Oliver is clairvoyant, all he really knows is that there is a pile of stuff waiting to have the VAR beady eye run over it all.

As we know Oliver is shit, it seems more likely he just didn't know what he should be doing and was making it up as he went

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Last few seasons we were all whining about how shit the refereeing was. I think it’s pretty clear that the issue is still the officiating and the guys using the VAR rather than the system itself.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think so. Unless Oliver is clairvoyant, all he really knows is that there is a pile of stuff waiting to have the VAR beady eye run over it all.

As we know Oliver is shit, it seems more likely he just didn't know what he should be doing and was making it up as he went
This is why referees should be microphoned.

We are entitled to know what's going on and what the thought process is. We are also entitled to hear what's discussed at Stockley Park with VAR.

All other sports do this. Why not football?

montpelier

What do you mean by "all this"? Judging by his gesture afterwards he was aware of TAA handling the ball and the deflection. He was aware of the relevant factors and made a reasonable call.
Why should VAR intervene here? It's mandate is to overturn mistakes, it's not there to replace the referees live perception of the game.
Why isn't he giving Liverpool a fk then?

Because he hasn't a clue its most likely

Greck

Ok! So I’ll say it again. VAR has not made the games any fairer. But it has ruined the experience for us viewers. Worst thing to happen to football since... since ever! Get rid now!
How did VAR ruin today when the controversy was that it wasn't used to overturn the first instance error? The injustice would have been the same with no VAR

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Aside from the decisions being wrong, klopp himself said he didn’t celebrate the goals as he knew they would reviewed, didn’t want to waste his energy and then once the review is complete the moment has passed. This isn’t right surely, if managers are already holding back their celebrations its only a matter of time before them, the players and fans all with hold their celebrations. It’s pathetic.

montpelier

We are entitled to know what's going on and what the thought process is. We are also entitled to hear what's discussed at Stockley Park with VAR.

So Mike, tell us what you think happened...

:nervous::nervous:

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
What supports my argument is the fact the ball hit his arm,which is outstretched from his body, whilst he's stood in the penalty box. Jesus wept. :lol:

I'm glad you clarified that the three former referees have reviewed the situation with replays and not the naked eye alone. I will sleep much better tonight knowing that.

What's the rules then? As you suggested one handball cancels another?:wenger:
I'm sure you would have slept even better if it was a couple of additional pundits who viewed the replays.

As for the rules, it depends if the Trent situation is determined to be punishable:

• If you decide that it is, Silva, an attacking player, created a goalscoring opportunity by the ball touching his hand, meaning Liverpool should be awarded a free kick.
  • If you decide that it isn't, then Silva didn't create a goalscoring opportunity, and you should play on.

There is simply no interpretation of the rules which ends up on a pen.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How did VAR ruin today when the controversy was that it wasn't used to overturn the first instance error? The injustice would have been the same with no VAR
The injustice is other teams getting pulled up on similar instances, same as the debatable offside goal. Shef Utd have a 3 minute offside review, this game had a 10 second review. I’d call that injustice

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why isn't he giving Liverpool a fk then?

Because he hasn't a clue its most likely
I would guess because he rather wanted to give Liverpool the advantage?! But even if he missed Bernardo also handling the ball, I dont see how that would be VAR relevant.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Don't know why this isn't the standard. This makes Oliver look so much better and gives genuine insight into his thinking. Also, note the appropriate use of VAR.

TheReligion

Abusive

Don't know why this isn't the standard. This makes Oliver look so much better and gives genuine insight into his thinking. Also, note the appropriate use of VAR.
This today would help us understand what's going on. Just use it like in rugby. And when play stops for VAR it should be like cricket where you can hear it being discussed and fed back to the on field umpire.

Greck

The injustice is other teams getting pulled up on similar instances, same as the debatable offside goal. Shef Utd have a 3 minute offside review, this game had a 10 second review. I’d call that injustice
Sounds like a case of confirmation bias where you only count its missteps and not when it worked for the better.

Don't know what to tell you besides you're just going to have to get used to it. It's here to stay regardless how much you oppose it, and that's for the better

montpelier

I would guess because he rather wanted to give Liverpool the advantage?! But even if he missed Bernardo also handling the ball, I dont see how that would be VAR relevant.
TAA slapping it around with his hand is enough advantage for me.

Also, a fk award illustrates a previous offence has occurred.

So as to illustrate control of the game and prevent confusion

You have a restart as they call it

It's sensible

This is fecking Oliver, fecking up again.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This today would help us understand what's going on. Just use it like in rugby. And when play stops for VAR it should be like cricket where you can hear it being discussed and fed back to the on field umpire.
100% agree. It's so inconsiderate of the match-going fan experience that is at the core of the game. I cannot imagine being sat at Spurs vs. Sheffield United for four fecking minutes not having a clue what was going on.

TheReligion

Abusive
100% agree. It's so inconsiderate of the match-going fan experience that is at the core of the game. I cannot imagine being sat at Spurs vs. Sheffield United for four fecking minutes not having a clue what was going on.
It's like today. At half time the PL told sky the pen wasn't given as they decided the hand was in a natural position. Laughable explanation yes but at least we know why. If that had been broadcast at the time then we clear it to immediately. Why not just have the audio? It's baffling.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sounds like a case of confirmation bias where you only count its missteps and not when it worked for the better.

Don't know what to tell you besides you're just going to have to get used to it. It's here to stay regardless how much you oppose it, and that's for the better
I’d argue that it’s got as much wrong / missed as what it has called right. So what’s the point in that?

and this version of VAR is clearly not here to stay, its already been changed not even a quarter the way into the season, it’s a shit show and you can see enough people not happy/ disillusioned with it to fallout of love with the game/ stop going to games/ cancel paid subscriptions. This happens over the next few years and money starts being lost, you can bet something about it will change.

how you can be happy with this and defend it by just saying it’s here to stay get used to it is bizarre

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The crux of the problem, in laymans terms, is it's not fixing what needs fixing and trying to fix what doesn't. If an offside is debatable by a stray hair one way or the other, then benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking side, it's also ridiculous accidental handball when it's not making a player's body bigger being punished.

They should only get involved when the error is obvious.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
TAA slapping it around with his hand is enough advantage for me.

Also, a fk award illustrates a previous offence has occurred.

So as to illustrate control of the game and prevent confusion

You have a restart as they call it

It's sensible

This is fecking Oliver, fecking up again.
I think you're looking at this through the lens of Liverpool scoring later on and not liking that fact.
Letting play continue after an accidental handball is a perfectly natural call.

Greck

I’d argue that it’s got as much wrong / missed as what it has called right. So what’s the point in that?

and this version of VAR is clearly not here to stay, its already been changed not even a quarter the way into the season, it’s a shit show and you can see enough people not happy/ disillusioned with it to fallout of love with the game/ stop going to games/ cancel paid subscriptions. This happens over the next few years and money starts being lost, you can bet something about it will change.

how you can be happy with this and defend it by just saying it’s here to stay get used to it is bizarre
-Because VAR is not a problem and claiming a video review system to be inherently bad for a sport is where the bizarre lies. The usage can get better. What won't get better is the game without it.
-It still gets more right than the other way and I'm certain the figures can prove it
-PL referees are botching its usage but this is the first year using it and it will get better as the FA adds more guides to its use from their mistakes. The lacunas will get fleshed out
-lastly and more realistically if majority are for it it's not getting scrapped to appease a minority opposing change

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
-Because VAR is not a problem and claiming a video review system to be inherently bad for a sport is where the bizarre lies. The usage can get better. What won't get better is the game without it.
-It still gets more right than the other way and I'm certain the figures can prove it
-PL referees are botching its usage but this is the first year using it and it will get better as the FA adds more guides to its use from its mistakes
yes I think a video review is bad for the sport. How badly was it really needed? It’s slowed down the game and killed celebrations. In absolutely no way had it made the game better.

also, your first point about being certain figures can prove it, I don’t doubt as the the figures will not consider what has been missed, only what has been changed.

your second point is just wishful thinking that the refs watch it on fast forward so it’s quicker or I don’t know, it’s always just going to be a replay watched over and over.

Guess we just disagree

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
The ball hits Silvas hand then Alexander-Arnold's arm, so surely it can't be a penalty because a penalty could lead to a goal, and any goal scored where there is any use of a hand or arm by the attacking team is disallowed?

When Mane had a goal disallowed at Old Trafford, if instead of scoring he was clearly fouled in the penalty area and the referee awarded a penalty, I'm pretty sure on the VAR check the penalty would be overturned?

montpelier

The crux of the problem, in laymans terms, is it's not fixing what needs fixing and trying to fix what doesn't. If an offside is debatable by a stray hair one way or the other, then benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking side, it's also ridiculous accidental handball when it's not making a player's body bigger being punished.

They should only get involved when the error is obvious.
But then it becomes an assessment of the difference between wrong and obviously wrong.

A plain level wrong isn't enough, let's stick with the duff decision, being the confusing result of that quite often.

Greck

yes I think a video review is bad for the sport. How badly was it really needed? It’s slowed down the game and killed celebrations. In absolutely no way had it made the game better.

also, your first point about being certain figures can prove it, I don’t doubt as the the figures will not consider what has been missed, only what has been changed.

your second point is just wishful thinking that the refs watch it on fast forward so it’s quicker or I don’t know, it’s always just going to be a replay watched over and over.

Guess we just disagree
Wait what? Where did you read this from that post? I made no such point

montpelier

I think you're looking at this through the lens of Liverpool scoring later on and not liking that fact.
Letting play continue after an accidental handball is a perfectly natural call.
And after 2 handball? Probably not so much. They bring peace and clarity in usually with a nice meaningless restart, most often.

Fair cop on the other thing, I must admit.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But then it becomes an assessment of the difference between wrong and obviously wrong.

A plain level wrong isn't enough, let's stick with the duff decision, being the confusing result of that quite often.
A player being completely disconnected (in terms of the line) from the last defender maybe?

What I don't get is given the amount of times a goal has been disallowed due to a marginal offside this season means there must have been many cases of goals like that pre VAR, yet I could never recall much fan outrage, so they either didn't notice or just accepted shit happens. Would i have spotted that Quincy Promes was offside against us in Amsterdam? Most probably not, likewise Mount vs Liverpool about 5,000 phases of play before the goal.

Also the timing is a big problem in terms of letting teams and fans celebrate and blow their emotional load, it's beyond deflating and borderline cruel. I have become paranoid celebrating for the most part (both goals against Palace I texted my mate "Abraham/Pulisic has scored but I'm paranoid about VAR" and held off from saying panic over until I actually saw Palace kick off) and I have still been caught out twice (vs Liverpool and Ajax).

At some point a teams going to think they have won the CL with a last minute goal, will celebrate for two minutes only for the rug to be pulled from under their feet, it's not on and something needs doing. I can't even imagine how I'd feel if Drogba's goal in Munich was called back a whole two minutes later, it needs to be done within seconds if the goal is to be disallowed, or potentially if they need time to make their mind up, let the scoring team know it may happen and don't let them celebrate why they review it.

Greck

It’s the first year and it will get better. You know this how? So wishful thinking, yes.
The part where I said the FA would add guides to flesh out its usage. Anyway you really need to slow down and read what youre replying. Think i agree we need to agree to disagree. This isn't very fun

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The part where I said the FA would add guides to flesh out its usage. Anyway you really need to slow down and read what youre replying. Think i agree we need to agree to disagree. This isn't very fun
You said....
-PL referees are botching its usage but this is the first year using it and it will get better as the FA adds more guides to its use from their mistakes.
Which makes no sense in itself if you read it again. I replied saying it’s wishful thinking on your part that it’s going to get better and there’s no possible way you can know this.

Not really that hard to understand, yet you tell me I need to slow down.
You also ignored the rest of my post and instead focused on being a drama queen with your wait what comment.

a123

Supports
Liverpool
Well the whole of the sky panel agreed it was a penalty and if just watched MOTD and they all do too.

You need to take off your blinkers as you sound deluded.

Also point me in the direction of the rule that states one handball cancels out another. Ta.
A deliberate handball remains an offence but that the following scenarios will result in a free-kick even if accidental:

• if the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand or arm
  • a player gains control/possession of the ball after it touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • a ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
  • the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

If it hits Silvas arm in the area, even if accidentally, then they get a penalty directly from it, thats a goal scoring opportunity.

@a123

If Liverpool were given an advantage due to the first handball from City then the ref should blow when TAA handles and give Liverpool a free kick. That's the advantage. You can't just ignore the TAA handball and claim to play advantage to Liverpool when the ball is bouncing around in their own box. The idea is laughable as who would say that's an advantage?

For your idea to have any semblance of sense the ref would have needed to blow on the TAA handball either way. To give a pen to City or to give Liverpool a free kick.
It all happens straight away within half a second. Lovren kicks it, it rebounds off Silvas arm, goes sideways, hits Trents arm and then the ball is cleared, Liverpool have the ball. The ref is simply saying play on.

Now the ref can say, its hit Silva on the arm and then they get a direct penalty from it. Under the rules as stated above thats not allowed, so free kick to Liverpool. But weve got the ball so in this instance hes waved play on, so they just play on like you would in an other situation.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I do think the first handball situation is in such close proximity to the defender that it can't be a foul, while the second handball is not similar. TAA hand is moving towards the ball as it is just an instinctive reaction. That is not allowed and should be a penalty.

I don't get the confusion, it's pretty elementary stuff. So what is this new rule? If an attacking player uses his hand before his teammate scores a goal, the goal should be disallowed? That isn't really a new rule I hope? Was it really allowed before? :lol: It sound more like a guideline to manoeuvre with the new use of VAR. In any case, since the first handball was unavoidable and not cause for a foul, the fact he was an attacking player is of no relevance to the next situation.

To me it's a clear penalty. Ref probably didn't see that part. If the ref somehow 'knew' what happened and still chose to ignore the handball from TAA, or play some sort of advantage "two fouls make it zero, he's an attacker which means the defender is in position to yadda yadda" make it up as you go along, then no wonder people gets confused. I'm tired of all this gibberish used to cover up every mistake they make.

This was probably all part of the "not going to make Liverpool blame us for losing the title to city" plan.

I still remember this ref giving a red card for some shit invented mid game called "collective foul". Never to be seen again. In his mind if some player has committed too many fouls against a particular player, no matter who does the next one gets sent off. Perfect.:lol: Shit show every week in this league. VAR has highlighted the problems, instead of fixing it. I'll bet they scrap VAR before they think about fixing any of this shit though.

Greck

You said....

Which makes no sense in itself if you read it again. I replied saying it’s wishful thinking on your part that it’s going to get better and there’s no possible way you can know this.

Not really that hard to understand, yet you tell me I need to slow down.
You also ignored the rest of my post and instead focused on being a drama queen with your wait what comment.
K

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I don't get the confusion, it's pretty elementary stuff. So what is this new rule? If an attacking player uses his hand before his teammate scores a goal, the goal should be disallowed? That isn't really a new rule I hope? Was it really allowed before? :lol: It sound more like a guideline to manoeuvre with the new use of VAR. In any case, since the first handball was unavoidable and not cause for a foul, the fact he was an attacking player is of no relevance to the next situation.

To me it's a clear penalty. Ref probably didn't see that part. If the ref somehow 'knew' what happened and still chose to ignore the handball from TAA
The rule is that any time the ball hits the hand or arm of an attacker in the lead up to a goal it is disallowed.

So even though the first handball is unavoidable, any goal scored as a result of it is disallowed. So even if Trent had caught the ball with both hands, it's not a penalty because of the Silva handball.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Ah, I get it. In that case, I quite like that rule. Makes it clear cut in situations like these, just call the handball no matter what, no grey zones.
So then the right call would be Dead ball free-kick for the handball... no possible advantage to play what so ever.

Got it?

a123

Supports
Liverpool
In my opinion, for VAR in general, it should just work like this:

If the referee sees an incident, his call on the field stands. So if someone commits what looks like a foul in the box and the ref says I saw it but i dont consider it a free kick, its no free kick. VAR cant overule him. Hes the ref. There will always be some subjectivity at the end of the day.

VAR can only support the ref. So VAR can check something obvious that the Ref may not have seen and advise the ref. If VAR has new information that the ref missed he can check it out on the monitor. VAR is like a linesman, theyre just giving advice to the ref.

With regards to offsides I think there should be something similar to cricket, where there is an umpires decision or in this case linesmans decision.

There is a small zone, like in cricket, by which the linesmans decision is the ultimate arbitrar of whether something is offside. After all, VAR is only supposed to step in with clear and obvious errors. A toe being offside, in the heat of the moment when a player running is not a clear error of offside from the linesman.

So for example you could make this a 5cm or 10cm area, a zone of doubt, beyond the offside line drawn by VAR. If the attacker is in this area they are still onside.

Now you might think well what if youre right on 5cm beyond the VAR line - youre just shifting the line. Well the thing is youd have no arguments that VAR called you offside incorrectly. Because even if VAR draws the line slightly incorrectly by 1-2cm youre still 3cm offside anyway.

Youre basically giving an attacker the benefit of the doubt (which offiside is supposed to be), and if its right on the margins, well the attacker cant complain if it goes against them because they were beyond the offside line anyway.

This would sort out the arguments about the exact line of where VAR draws offside, and also when VAR is allowed to step in for incidents.

Mshafeek

The second hand ball was a direct result of the first hand ball. It would have been unfair to deny advantage play because of an offence which was a direct result of an opposition offence. Simple, really.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The rule is that any time the ball hits the hand or arm of an attacker in the lead up to a goal it is disallowed.

So even though the first handball is unavoidable, any goal scored as a result of it is disallowed. So even if Trent had caught the ball with both hands, it's not a penalty because of the Silva handball.
It didn't result in a goal?

Also on the FA site the rule stipulates that it is only handball if the player "gains possession/control of the ball" and then scores/creates a goalscoring opportunity. Since Silva did not gain possession/control of the ball, the rule regarding the creation of a goalscoring opportunity doesn't seem to come into it.

The rule regarding accidental handball seems to only be activated in the instance of a goal actually being scored. Since a goal was not scored, the accidental handball rule likewise doesn't seem to apply.

In fact the only guideline that seems relevant is the one regarding deflections off another player. As far as I know though that isn't the guideline VAR is citing in choosing not to call a penalty (maybe I'm wrong).

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What "should have happened" in the Liverpool v City match is the ref should have blown the whistle for a penalty against TAA then gone to VAR to confirm. Upon review of VAR they would have then came back with the ball first struck B Silva's hand before it struck TAA resulting in a free kick to Liverpool. Instead, my guess is that the ref decided to let the play go and allow VAR to intervene in case he got the call wrong. As it happened, Liverpool marched back up the field and scored. So you would be punishing Liverpool by awarding them a free kick instead of a goal. So instead I believe they just decided that one handball cancelled out the other and the only reason this is a talking point is because Liverpool scored. If the ball had been cleared and gone out for a throw in for the next stoppage it would be a non-issue...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It didn't result in a goal?

Also on the FA site the rule stipulates that it is only handball if the player "gains possession/control of the ball" and then scores/creates a goalscoring opportunity. Since Silva did not gain possession/control of the ball, the rule regarding the creation of a goalscoring opportunity doesn't seem to come into it.

The rule regarding accidental handball seems to only be activated in the instance of a goal actually being scored. Since a goal was not scored, the accidental handball rule likewise doesn't seem to apply.

In fact the only guideline that seems relevant is the one regarding deflections off another player. As far as I know though that isn't the guideline VAR is citing in choosing not to call a penalty (maybe I'm wrong).
His handling of the ball did create a scoring opportunity as it created the handball on TAA...

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
His handling of the ball did create a scoring opportunity as it created the handball on TAA...
Even if we accept that to be true it doesn't seem to matter. That would only matter if the handball had resulted in Silva gaining possession/control of the ball first. It didn't, so the rule doesn't seem to apply.