Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Kag

Let’s blame VAR because our goalkeeper is a big girl’s blouse. Righto.

His eyes are closed and his back turned well before the arm goes near him.

dev1l

Let’s blame VAR because our goalkeeper is a big girl’s blouse. Righto.

His eyes are closed and his back turned well before the arm goes near him.
That s irrelevant. If the striker uses his arm to hits a keeper on the face, that s a foul all day. No it's and buts

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I honestly don't get how people who are still sore about the Nani red card can possibly be against VAR

Ed9

This was honestly scandalous. Consciously approving a clear and blatant foul. Embarassing from VAR refs.

Dinghy

VAR is a fecking joke. Most referee's are now too scared to make a call if they're uncertain and instead let the play go on and the VAR's won't undo the decision becasue the referee has seen and allowed it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I must have missed the “a freekick shall not be awarded if the player should have done better” rule.

Anustart89

fecking joke of a decision. I didn't know that elbowing the keeper and making him miss the ball was allowed in football, but apparently missing an elbow to the head isn't a "clear and obvious" error?

What's de Gea supposed to do there? Either he commits full force and risks a broken jaw or he turns his head away as the elbow makes contact. Should he need to expose himself to a broken jaw to get a free kick from someone flying in with an elbow?

sect2k

Poor me, I actually believed VAR might reduce the amount of doggy refereeing decisions against us, because I thought it was only incompetence, now with video reviews at their disposal, we still get bent over, so I guess it doesn't help if the refs are against you.

montpelier

It's a borderline overturn I suppose, reluctantly

They want to support their ref, who of course, is the Utd hating bellend Oliver

Classical Mechanic

I'd also like some clarification on how that foul that Lindelof gave away in the lead up to the goal was any different to the challenge on Phil Jones in the Sheff United game?

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Guaranteed to see a goal ruled out for being 1.3mm offside in a game today just to add fuel to the fire

pmgeorge

That is a foult and yellow card anywhere on the pitch. Referees shall be banned for this kind of mistakes. Either they have an agenda or they are incompetent.

sect2k

It's a borderline overturn I suppose, reluctantly

They want to support their ref, who of course, is the Utd hating bellend Oliver
It's not surprising that Oliver was the VAR ref a couple times this season, when VAR went against us in cases where other teams got different outcome for same thing. That prick hates us.

ajay1002

I've seen far less contact on goalkeepers given as a foul in the past. Really don't understand how VAR can claim an arm in the face is normal contact

The Firestarter

Use the fecking VAR monitors pitch side . The way refs in the PL are doing it basically removes the authority from the match referee.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Honestly, VAR has continually fecked us this year.
1) two penalties against Palace not given
2) Cahill not sent off for Palace
3) foul on Jones in the sheff united game
4) handball in sheff united game
5) assault on de Gea in the Everton goal.
6) penalty not given against arsenal.

The only slightly interesting call we got was against Liverpool. Scandalous that the goal is given there. Souness is literally pissing himself saying how stupid it is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I suspect this is one of those incidents where a ref looking at the incident on a pitchside monitor would be more likely to award the foul as doing so would be in line with how the game is de facto refereed, where even slight contact on a GK is often a foul.

Either way, I thought it was a foul.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The Premier League have confirmed to Sky Sports that the goal was given because Calvert-Lewin's coming together with De Gea was adjudged to have been 'normal contact'.

HJ12

Premier league trying to cover the incompetent ref's arse. That explanation doesn't even make sense.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Premier league trying to cover the incompetent ref's arse. That explanation doesn't even make sense.
The Premier League don't employ the refs the FA do via the PGMOL, the prem are just giving the official explanation from the ref

HJ12

The Premier League don't employ the refs the FA do via the PGMOL, the prem are just giving the official explanation from the ref
Cool, then the ref's covering his arse. It's a crap explanation either way. Would've appreciated a "sorry, we stuffed up" statement more.

Cliche Guevara

If you so much as fart near a goalkeeper he gets a free-kick. Normal contact with a goalkeeper is usually zero contact.

Absolute shambles of an explanation from the League.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It's still a person sat in a room, making decisions based not only on what he sees but also based on emotion, thoughts, biases etc.

That's the only explanation I can give.

montpelier

It's still a person sat in a room, making decisions based not only on what he sees but also based on emotion, thoughts, biases etc.

#1 thought, bias etc is to support the referee

#2 hopefully he was right, or at least not VERY obviously wrong

I think you can see how this one squeezes through if you want it to, just about. People on here would, OK some, be saying it's soppy keeping, give the goal, if it was up the other end.

That's how VAR works when it's the ref who's being supported with inbuilt bias in the system favouring his decisions rather than the GK getting the benefit of any doubt.

montpelier

VAR made 4 or 5 GOOD calls yesterday from what I saw

But they need to drop the top purpose of it being to support the ref

Or have him own it all, and use the monitor. I don't think Oliver would change his mind for us though, and there would be problems I think.

OneUnited24

The feeling i get from VAR is they are hesitant to award things as it undermines the on-field referee (this depends on the ref watching, i thought last week Oliver did a good job in the City game). They hide behind the 'clear and obvious error' moto which is very subjective anyway. Take yesterday, i am 100% sure if Mike Oliver saw it he would have blown for a freekick. I don't think he did and VAR looked at it and thought 'ah its 6 of one half a dozen of the other the goal stands'. I'm interested to know what the communication line is between the ref and VAR. Is it just one sided, IE VAR telling the ref to look at something again, or if they can have conversations because if someone on VAR told him it looked like a foul on the GK and Oliver said he saw it but didn't think anything of it sure VAR should have overturned it.

We all thought VAR would end the referee debate but all its done is add another one to frustrate us more. Is consistency enough to ask for?!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
VAR made 4 or 5 GOOD calls yesterday from what I saw

But they need to drop the top purpose of it being to support the ref

Or have him own it all, and use the monitor. I don't think Oliver would change his mind for us though, and there would be problems I think.
Exactly. I actually thought the ref said "not enough, not a foul, normal contact" when speaking to De Gea, and since De Gea probably blamed himself he felt more embarrassed by himself than angry at the injustice. It is a clear foul and the statement from Oliver of it being "normal contact" is made up because he feels that De Gea is weak and we probably too 'shouldn't give the ref a chance to feck us over' which is pure bias. Which is the problem with certain refs that is biased, and VAR supporting them not only allows but supports inconsistent decisions every week every game.

You can understand that certain aspects of the game is hard to be consistent on even with VAR working perfectly, but the keeper has always been protected and always gets rewarded cheap free kicks. All of a sudden Oliver makes up his own appliance to the rules, like he enjoys doing against us, but if VAR isn't able to even recognise and enforce a way of applying a rule that all refs universally have agreed on, then wtf?

It is truly hopeless. Must be a nightmare to be a player under those conditions, never know how to adjust to the games. Sometimes you can charge in, other times its a red card because the ref made up some new rule that you automatically get booked for the next foul. The league will never be the spectacle it could if they don't come down harder on refs with integrity issues and fitness problems.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If you so much as fart near a goalkeeper he gets a free-kick. Normal contact with a goalkeeper is usually zero contact.

Absolute shambles of an explanation from the League.
You’d think that but this happened to Alisson against Burnley last season.

That was given as a goal.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You’d think that but this happened to Alisson against Burnley last season.

That was given as a goal.
It is no coincidence it was against Burnley. They are expected to be rough and score from a dodgy dead ball so refs let it go. The bias of refs is beyond silly at this point.