Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Normal contact you say?

Bring Fellaini back.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Watching the replays while VAR was going through...I just thought ‘thank god for that’ once I’d seen it, it was obviously going to be overturned.

Mind you I thought similar with Sheff United equaliser. Once I’d seen the angle where you can see it hit the bicep and you consider basic physics, you think it can’t be given.

I have my doubts that either decision would be upheld if we had scored them.

Rafaeldagold

It's still a person sat in a room, making decisions based not only on what he sees but also based on emotion, thoughts, biases etc.

That's the only explanation I can give.
This is why VAR was always still going to have human error as I’m 100% sure that call is given differently by another ref watching it on VAR.

This is why the inconsistencies with decisions will feel worse now as even with VAR because football is a subjective game this will keep on happening.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Just read Dermott Gallagher's piece on Skysports. He said the decision was correct because the contact was made after the ball had gone!

You only need eyes to see that is not the case. DeGeas head is turned away from the ball by Calvert Lewins arm while the ball is travelling towards them.

How can you even write that in an opinion column ?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair, DDG one is not VAR's fault but the referee is being clueless. VAR is there to help the referee and didn't used properly. If we never have VAR in EPL, people would still moan about the wrong decision that the referee made.

The arm was already touching DDG's face before the ball went pass him and that alone basically contact with the keeper to prevent DDG to see clearly where the ball goes, which clearly the reason why DDG missed punch it.

I don't know how even ex referee made statement that the arm contact happened when the ball was gone which is not true.

To me VAR is a good idea but the referee is just ridiculously bad.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
To be fair, DDG one is not VAR's fault but the referee is being clueless. VAR is there to help the referee and didn't used properly. If we never have VAR in EPL, people would still moan about the wrong decision that the referee made.

The arm was already touching DDG's face before the ball went pass him and that alone basically contact with the keeper to prevent DDG to see clearly where the ball goes, which clearly the reason why DDG missed punch it.

I don't know how even ex referee made statement that the arm contact happened when the ball was gone which is not true.

Pretty much. Nothing wrong with the video replay, its the moronic refs who are the problem. Keepers are pretty much a protected species inside the box and even the slightest contact is enough for a FK. Here you got a case of arm in the fecking face which is a FK anywhere on the pitch and often a yellow so how the feck that is not given is beyond me

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I’m tired of this it’s not VAR it’s the refs. The refs are VAR

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Why isn't that at least partly the VAR's fault though? Part of their job is to intervene in incidents like this, as they have done on other occasions.

I'm all for defending VAR when they deserve it and pointing out why/when the stupid rules they're operating under in the PL hinder them but even with that, sometimes they deserve to be criticised.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why isn't that at least partly the VAR's fault though? Part of their job is to intervene in incidents like this, as they have done on other occasions.

I'm all for defending VAR when they deserve it and pointing out why/when the stupid rules they're operating under in the PL hinder them but even with that, sometimes they deserve to be criticised.
Really don't know how you can blame a machine when the one who made the final decision is the human not the machine.

It's not VAR the one make the decision, it's the referee that make the decision. If you are doing listening test and you missed something what you heard, who are you blaming to? The audio? Well it's yourself not the audio. The Everton goal was already considered as a goal without VAR, so without VAR ever happened in PL the wrong decision was made by the referee.

acnumber9

Really don't know how you can blame a machine when the one who made the final decision is the human not the machine.

It's not VAR the one make the decision, it's the referee that make the decision. If you are doing listening test and you missed something what you heard, who are you blaming to? The audio? Well it's yourself not the audio. The Everton goal was already considered as a goal without VAR, so without VAR ever happened in PL the wrong decision was made by the referee.
VAR is not a machine. It’s a bloke watching a monitor.

acnumber9

And the referee who watch them & make the decision are to blamed right not the actual video. Why do we blame video replay, are we nuts?
You said don’t blame the machine. Nobody is doing that because there’s no machine to blame. What do you think VAR is?

marktan

Get rid of it, it's fecking shit. I'd much rather a couple of errors if it means legitimate goals don't keep getting ruled offside for non existant offsides. Never in a million years is pukki offside there vs Spurs

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Get rid of it, it's fecking shit. I'd much rather a couple of errors if it means legitimate goals don't keep getting ruled offside for non existant offsides. Never in a million years is pukki offside there vs Spurs
Not only are these rulings controversial to say the least, they don't take into account the psychological impact of having a goal ruled out after you've thought you've scored, it's got to be terribly demoralizing, especially for a team like Norwich today who are the underdogs in a desperate situation.

Amarsdd

so the commentators are saying the VAR office's reasoning for the offside is that Pukki was coming back from an offside position? wtf does that even mean when its not in relation to when the ball is passed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
VAR isn't the problem. The shit refs here often can't read a screen.

TrustInOle

Really is getting a joke now. Var aint the problem, its the people using it. Looking for attention. See it being used very well in other nations. But we just have a stream of incompetent people who think passing a test is enough to judge on football related incidents. Should be at the use of ex players/ coaches/ Managers of the game. Atleast then we know decisions are coming from some sort of footballing intelligence. This is beyond a joke now.

binary bot
Theres nothing wrong with VAR as a concept. Theyve just completely fecked the implementation of it. And put opinions of it back another 10 years.

You'd swear they're deliberately sabotaging it for it to be this incompetent.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
so the commentators are saying the VAR office's reasoning for the offside is that Pukki was coming back from an offside position? wtf does that even mean when its not in relation to when the ball is passed.
I don't think anyone remembers the rules anymore. Absolute shambles.

Hope all the 'we desperately need VAR' brigade are happy. You've ruined our game because they won't get rid now.

Go and watch NFL if you want this 100 replays crap. Football needs to be fast and free flowing.

El Zoido

It’s ruining the game. They need to have a better implementation for offsides because this is ridiculous.

cyberman

It’s ruining the game.
Go back a year and look at great goals being given for offsides, blatant handballs ignored, blant onside decisions being given off due to out of position linesman.
I can understand the frustration but feck me, all of that was many times worse.

binary bot
It it just me or does the blue line(spurs player) look behind the red line(Pukki)?

cyberman

I don't think anyone remembers the rules anymore. Absolute shambles.

Hope all the 'we desperately need VAR' brigade are happy. You've ruined our game because they won't get rid now.

Go and watch NFL if you want this 100 replays crap. Football needs to be fast and free flowing.
Sky worded it wrong. Rules havent changed ffs

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like the technology but they way we are using it is really sucking the life out of the game. It's supposed to be for clear and obvious mistakes, like Aubameyang's goal at OT being disallowed then reviewed and allowed, that was VAR at it's best. Putting every goal under the microscope and disallowing for the tiniest fraction of milometers when you're not even sure if they're stopping the clip at the exact time the ball leaves the players boot for the pass is taking it way too far.

Would Spurs have protested if that goal stood? No. If the strikers fecking toe nail is offside does it really give him an advantage? No.

It's completely changed the way I watch games now. I never even celebrate our goals anymore unless it's like a banger from distance and I know it can't possibly be disallowed.

kettledrumhamster

Remember when people used to talk about their being "air" between the defender and attacker? Why don't they do that with these lines? So the attacking line needs to have a gap after the defending line for it to be offside?

That would solve half of these problems immediately.

Mind you, I think they should just change the offside rule so that it's only where the boots are, not the body. Then stick chips in the boots and take it completely out of the hands of humans or TV screen pixels.

lsd

The Oracle
Go back a year and look at great goals being given for offsides, blatant handballs ignored, blant onside decisions being given off due to out of position linesman.
I can understand the frustration but feck me, all of that was many times worse.

Clear and obvious though. When you rule out a great goal because a player's arm hair is offside then it's gone too far

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
VAR isn't the problem. The shit refs here often can't read a screen.
Those cnuts are hidden away in a truck with no cameras, no mics.

Compare to rugby where they are in the stadium, mic'ed up and the viewer sees and hears the conversation between the ref and TMO. Transparency.

In football it's cloaked in secrecy for whatever fecking reason. Probably because they make up rules on the fly.

cyberman

Clear and obvious though. When you rule out a great goal because a player's arm hair is offside then it's gone too far
Strictly speaking, it is.
Offsides dont even fall under clear and obvious, it either is or not. That category is used for subjective calls

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
VAR is fine but the rules need to be clarified.
If Norwich don't win this match and go down by a point or two then its this that cost them.

Josep Dowling

People need to understand VAR is not the problem here it’s the idiot referees who are getting it wrong.

Gordon S

VAR as a concept is the way to go forward, but i will never understand why they bother to check for minutes if the goalscorer is maybe a fingernail offside. If the linesman makes a big mistake and fails to see an obvious offside leading to a goal then they should overrule it.

binary bot
Strictly speaking, it is.
Offsides dont even fall under clear and obvious, it either is or not. That category is used for subjective calls
There'll always be a margin of error though, which makes them subjective. At what point do you even measure the ball leaving the passer's foot? Completely subjective.

Pughnichi

It’s hard to call. It does offer some excitement waiting in hope on decisions to be called in your favour. It also give us all the chance to play ref making a decision based on what the officials see at the same time...instead of second guessing what a ref has/hasn’t seen. That said, it ain’t really working. It’s inconsistent and therefore remains unfair. DeGea having his arm pulled v Everton springs to mind. Zaha’s arm earlier today is ridiculous and now Puuki. It’s nice to be on the right end of a correct (or incorrect) decision. But in the grand scheme of things I’d just prefer it if it wasn’t part of the game...I think...until Burnley get a goal wrongly ruled out tonight...then I’ll love it again.