Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
They should really have a body to body rule. Its stupid as **** if your offside by your leg or arm.
I would rewrite the offside law so that it is just solely by the placement of the grounded feet of the players, I would also have them properly define when a new phase in play begins, it would clear up most of this mess

SER19

What is the point of var. I actually like it but they may as well not have it.

SER19

This game needs a highlights real. This is past bad decisions

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
3 individual decisions they haven't even checked; goal, red card, penalty. Have the guys at the VAR office just gone home for the night?
every goal is automatically checked they just don't hold up the game unless they are looking at something specific

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
every goal is automatically checked they just don't hold up the game unless they are looking at something specific
I doubt they checked the disallowed Martial goal as the ref blew as Martial struck, and the restart was instant. Surely they would be looking for something specific - the supposed foul by Martial.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I doubt they checked the disallowed Martial goal as the ref blew as Martial struck, and the restart was instant. Surely they would be looking for something specific - the supposed foul by Martial.
if the whistle blows before the goal is scored there is nothing VAR can do
To ensure more correct decision are made because...?
they want to make sure the correct result happens, millions of fans players and managers moaned for years about refs messing up, they introduced this to try and fix that, if you thought or think it was for entertainment then you are being exceptionally naive

EwanI Ted

they want to make sure the correct result happens, millions of fans players and managers moaned for years about refs messing up, they introduced this to try and fix that,
In other words, to make the game more enjoyable for people.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
if the whistle blows before the goal is scored there is nothing VAR can do

they want to make sure the correct result happens,
millions of fans players and managers moaned for years about refs messing up, they introduced this to try and fix that, if you thought or think it was for entertainment then you are being exceptionally naive
The two bold statements then contradict each other. Referee wrongly disallowed a goal, which could still effect the result. VAR should overturn it or at least look a it. 'Ref blew so nothing VAR can do' means the system is somewhat broken. Just like how VAR checks for defender encroachment at penalties, but not goalkeepers. It's only doing half of what it is capable of and is haphazardly applied.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
The two bold statements then contradict each other. Referee wrongly disallowed a goal, which could still effect the result. VAR should overturn it or at least look a it. 'Ref blew so nothing VAR can do' means the system is somewhat broken. Just like how VAR checks for defender encroachment at penalties, but not goalkeepers. It's only doing half of what it is capable of and is haphazardly applied.
to solve that Refs have been told not to blow the whistle and let the attack finish then check with VAR but if the ref chooses not to then there is nothing that can be done

Kag

The offsides aren’t the problem. It’s the fact that Mee can put in a challenge like that and get away with it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Again, what's the alternative? Of course there's human error, but there's less human error than relying on a linesman to make the call in real time
So you would prefer to go back to 100% human error and 2000% more de factual errors? When it comes to offsides it has to be like this.
You cant draw some imaginary line 10 cms back or whatever. Its just moving the goalposts.
This needs to settle and in a year or two people will question why it was ever different.
Well if the system is imperfect you need to cater for that.

If its too tight to tell within 10 seconds of fiddling around then it's not offside... Easy.

montpelier

Why bother looking at all, just have some sort of lucky dip to decide. Or a man with a flag who is quite often guessing.

montpelier

Keep the rest of VAR obviously, or at least where we like it. helping attackers as much as we can mainly, isn't it?

We don't like the sad stuff it does, like ruling goals out. We like goals innit?

Even Cheaty goals we like. Let's try less hard to spot them, that'll be fair.

montpelier

OK, seriously though. Offside is fairer like this than it was before.

Although the Pukki one is a shocker, obviously.

Josep Dowling

An offside is an offside, to me it feels like it's a much bigger issue in England, either because it takes longer there or because it happens more frequently.
Media pressure and a lot of old boys pundits with the ‘back in my day’ attitude. VAR is required for progression but they have implemented it completely wrong.

And our referees are some of the worse in Europe. They are far more concerned about protecting themselves rather than ensuring the correct decision are made in matches.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The offsides aren’t the problem. It’s the fact that Mee can put in a challenge like that and get away with it.
Yes. VAR is supposed to get on top of them. But isn't there a rule in the implementation currently that says if someone gets a yellow then VAR can't intervene, only if it is completely missed? I seem to remember that from earlier in the season...

Also how a player can get booked for simulation when it was clearly wrong, and VAR not doing anything about it despite being clear and obvious error? Is it supposed to be only on penalties and offsides? Didn't even review the penalty properly. Maybe only handballs and offsides. Who knows.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well if the system is imperfect you need to cater for that.

If its too tight to tell within 10 seconds of fiddling around then it's not offside... Easy.
And if it's actually onside but the call on the pitch was offside?

Rafaeldagold

I like the technology but they way we are using it is really sucking the life out of the game. It's supposed to be for clear and obvious mistakes, like Aubameyang's goal at OT being disallowed then reviewed and allowed, that was VAR at it's best. Putting every goal under the microscope and disallowing for the tiniest fraction of milometers when you're not even sure if they're stopping the clip at the exact time the ball leaves the players boot for the pass is taking it way too far.

Would Spurs have protested if that goal stood? No. If the strikers fecking toe nail is offside does it really give him an advantage? No.

It's completely changed the way I watch games now. I never even celebrate our goals anymore unless it's like a banger from distance and I know it can't possibly be disallowed.
Exactly this. It’s changed the way I watch games now too. It’s pretty sad but the pro VAR lot won so here we are, the game has changed so much now.

Rafaeldagold

People need to understand VAR is not the problem here it’s the idiot referees who are getting it wrong.
VAR IS the problem though as you will ALWAYS need these ‘idiot’ refs reviewing it. So if a system needs at its very core idiots refs reviewing it then it’s a deeply flawed system

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
VAR IS the problem though as you will ALWAYS need these ‘idiot’ refs reviewing it. So if a system needs at its very core idiots refs reviewing it then it’s a deeply flawed system
It is so funny to see.

The argument in this thread was effectively:
“Don’t bring in VAR, it will change the game and won’t work”
”alright grandpa, we live in a modern world, VAR will be amazing!”

three months later after VAR has changed the game and doesn’t work.
“Well I hate to say it, but I was right.”
“No! This isn’t VARs fault, we just need MORE VAR.”

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Every time there’s a goal the ref should just flip a coin, heads it’s a goal, tails it’s not. That’s what VAR seems to do

Phil

VAR offside needs to be fixed immediately. Absolute farce the way it's being used.

Castia

The sequence is stopped at a random moment because they can’t accurately tell when the player touches the ball for a pass, the whole thing is a massive sham when a decision is that close.