Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Le Red

You guys can disagree with me about the penalty. But watch it again and note how Willian bends his leg and goes down way before being touched.
It was a stupid challenge from Lowton and I thought it was a pen so I don't blame the field ref, but VAR should have spotted it, that's why they are there after all.
But in the second goal, there was a blatant push by Abraham on the defender. Clear foul and illegal goal all day long.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You guys can disagree with me about the penalty. But watch it again and note how Willian bends his leg and goes down way before being touched.
It was a stupid challenge from Lowton and I thought it was a pen so I don't blame the field ref, but VAR should have spotted it, that's why they are there after all.
But in the second goal, there was a blatant push by Abraham on the defender. Clear foul and illegal goal all day long.
I think the ref could maybe have given the penalty decision either way as it's a subjective call as to whether Willian created the contact or (as I happen to think) it was a foul regardless of what Willian did as contact was already inevitable at the point Willian played into the foul.

Once the ref has made that call though, I don't think VAR can reasonably say it was a clear mistake on his part. After all, Willian playing for the foul doesn't automatically stop in from still being a foul.

montpelier

I suppose it is true that poor ref decisions are leading to poor VAR decisions. But it's still the VAR process as we are seeing it atm.

Where they disagree is when the on field ref should look at the monitor. But they still want to avoid disagreement wherever they can. And avoid the on field ref looking at the monitor as well - it doesn't look good and takes more time again.

These priorities don't involve any idea of getting to the correct decision as a priority.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Clattenburg in the NBC studio, after the ARS red card, said the ref should go the sideline monitor & the stadium big screens should show the fans the same images as TV viewers.
I have mixed feelings about the big screens showing the replays at the same time the VAR is looking at it. There could be pandemonium in the stands.

montpelier

Clattenburg in the NBC studio, after the ARS red card, said the ref should go the sideline monitor & the stadium big screens should show the fans the same images as TV viewers.
I have mixed feelings about the big screens showing the replays at the same time the VAR is looking at it. There could be pandemonium in the stands.
That's probably why they don't want to do it, imo.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's right VR is absolute stupidity... Ref on the pitch must make the call. Not remotely!

Thought we might have hit turning point with screen used in FA cup.

VAR in the PL has been a disaster, handed Liverpool the title, they probably win anyway of course.

Hasn't made the league fairer, ruined match going experience as crowd have zero idea wtf is going on.

If they're not prepared to implement it properly, must be binned next season.

Pagh Wraith

The usage of VAR can be improved but it has massively reduced the number of wrong decisions which is why it was brought in. Any controversy is usually down to disagreements with the laws of the game (such as the handball rule) that are not VAR's fault. And whenever the likes of Sky moan about the time it takes to arrive at a decision, I'll remind them that they are happy to discuss nonsense like a wrongly awarded throw-in for hours.

montpelier

The usage of VAR can be improved but it has massively reduced the number of wrong decisions which is why it was brought in. Any controversy is usually down to disagreements with the laws of the game (such as the handball rule) that are not VAR's fault. And whenever the likes of Sky moan about the time it takes to arrive at a decision, I'll remind them that they are happy to discuss nonsense like a wrongly awarded throw-in for hours.
How are VAR decisions which are either wrong or ridiculous nothing to do with VAR (let's say the process of VAR if you like)

It's just an attempt to say we can never have an objection to the thing. Because I think, it's like saying the thing is faultless as a concept. Just the actuality is a bit naff, but we're not counting that.

montpelier

50 % of people thought Robertson should have been sent off. It didn't even get looked at. The goal came from a throw in that never was. It didn't get looked at. We can't seem to decide what is offside and what isn't anymore. Or handball. Matches are littered with 3 minute delays, or as I'm now sensing, they are skimping to try and avoid delays.

A9X SJ

VAR should only come into play in the final 3rd or for a tackle that’s deemed possibly reckless

Arm being off should not be offside as you cannot score with your arm.

The handball in the run up to goals is unfortunate as majority of the time it’s accidental

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Cue Robertson red card converted to yellow this way on the weekend.

Not only does VAR ruin the game, it also leads to sexual harassment at the workplace. "It's a gateway to more laddish behaviour and - if it just goes unchecked - it's a signal of a more laddish culture," she said "It's very easy for it to escalate from VAR talk and chat to slapping each other on the back and talking about their conquests at the weekend."

Get rid of it now!

Pagh Wraith

Fully behind it. I think we should completely ban any from of communication. Less chance of offending and talking nonsense if you don't open your mouth.

OldSchoolManc

Well, I had to dig this up.
MOTD pointed it out too on the Liverpool game. Completely different possible outcome if the video ref does what they are supposed to do.
What is the point of VAR?
It has caused more controversy, baffling decisions and lost points, than any other season EVER.
Game after game after game, teams have lost points based on ridiculous and inconsistent decisions.
Liverpool are somehow benefitting massively off it.
For me, the season is a complete and utter write off and should forever have an asterisk against it.

montpelier

The penalties in the Liverpool game?

Firmino - I would understand the ref giving it. IMO, VAR shouldn't because he goes down too easy and isn't getting the ball. But 50/50 if you like. If the ref gives it, I'm pretty sure VAR won't overturn it though.

Ings - I think this is a totally stonewall pen but can understand that both ref and/or VAR might not pick that up. The actual contact is quite hard to pick up though I think. VAR would have backed the ref had he given it I presume.

Maybe the ref thinks if he isn't sure then the VAR will help, although I'm told that ought not or wouldn't happen and isn't VARs fault anyway by the VAR fans - even though it obviously is.

OK though, any scenario could have occurred with or without, and on that basis they evened out.

But, most people would say the Ings one is stonewall, and we can't give it with VAR in place even, as explained.

What I think is worst though - is the football ordinary-ness of the incident.

Or are we getting VAR just to create a doubling up of talking points for people watching on the tv? It mustn't be dull must it?

Also, Oliver and VAR at West Ham, he's still shit.

I don't see what's being improved that isn't lost because of the time taken and the faffing. And their quicker decisions tend to be wrong.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
That is a clear handball, Leicester absolutely robbed. I remember seeing Rose sliding in to block a shot on goal with his head turned and his arm not by his sides. Shot fired at point blank range into his arm, no one even appealed, VAR pulled it up and gave a penalty.

I am for VAR, but there needs to be consistency in the officiating. Seems every week we have one given and one not given for virtually the same offence, seems like a lottery atm.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
It's hilarious to read in here about all the decisions Liverpool supposedly has got in their favor, considering that when you actually look it up, Liverpool have got 4 overturned VAR decisions for them and 3 against.

United on the other hand has 5 for and 1 against. The comments are so out of touch with reality that you could make it a case study on confirmation bias.

Popcorn

It’s all gotten a bit bizarre. It’s turning into just another layer of inexplicable decision making. Lots of delays, some referees backed up by VAR, others not, they will look at some rules but not others, referees drawing boxes in the air and deferring their authority to another equally inept referee. It’s just rubbish.

Needs a complete reset, with a VAR ref and on the pitch ref talking to each other and an understanding that the game might be pulled back for a major decision change.

Heinzesight

It's hilarious to read in here about all the decisions Liverpool supposedly has got in their favor, considering that when you actually look it up, Liverpool have got 4 overturned VAR decisions for them and 3 against.

United on the other hand has 5 for and 1 against. The comments are so out of touch with reality that you could make it a case study on confirmation bias.
Blimey...anyone would think this was a United forum. How dare we slag off our fiercest rivals.

acnumber9

Those stats completely ignore when VAR should have intervened but didn’t.

Fitchett

Those stats completely ignore when VAR should have intervened but didn’t.
Exactly! There have been plenty of blatant decisions go against United when VAR hasn't even intervened. Penalties not given for clear fouls on Martial in the box against Crystal Palace in August, and on Saturday in the first half against Wolves, are two examples that immediately spring to mind.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If the decision is that close for offside just pass it ok.

The forensic analysis taking a long time to disallow goals should be stopped.

This has started happening already I think. Or maybe just no close decision.