Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Krul took a step forward again at the re-kick. It's a reflex, not something you do on purpose. VAR wasn't meant for splitting hairs.
That's not why it was retaken, was it?. There were about 4 Norwich players in the box when it was taken and one of them cleared the ball after the save.

Jev

That's not why it was retaken, was it?. There were about 4 Norwich players in the box when it was taken and one of them cleared the ball after the save.
Pretty sure it was that miniscule step he took?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Krul took a step forward again at the re-kick. It's a reflex, not something you do on purpose. VAR wasn't meant for splitting hairs.
It was called for encroachment though

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
disagree completely. in an ideal world VAR isn't looking at these idiotic small things. penalty is already too hard on defense anyways
In your ideal world yeah, we all have our interpretations of what we wanna see after all.

Yes to how pedantic & shite it is. Perfect example . Just looking for any way possible to chalk off a goal
I don't disagree but Krul deserved that, just for acting like a prick and coming over his line, he can feck all the ugly twat

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's against the rules. It's not difficult to remedy. If players insist on encroaching then it's their own fault. I don't see why anyone would have an issue with it.

Ace

There’s just no consistency from game to game... Referee interpretations vary from staff to staff depending on which crew is in charge for any given match.

If goalkeepers are required to be on their line for every spot kick, then you need to hold them to that standard every game. If players are not allowed to encroach during a penalty, then you need to hold them to that standard every game.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with technology assisting officials to ensure that calls on the field are correct— the problem lies in the fact that it’s use varies from game to game, where even after seeing an HD slow motion replay from multiple angles, fans watching at home are left to guess what the referee interpretation will be.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No, there was one maybe 2 inside the box along with an arsenal player, all on the opposite side to the clearance.
mot had every part of the body got to be outside the box, these grounded feet are outside no doubt

kouroux

There’s just no consistency from game to game... Referee interpretations vary from staff to staff depending on which crew is in charge for any given match.

If goalkeepers are required to be on their line for every spot kick, then you need to hold them to that standard every game. If players are not allowed to encroach during a penalty, then you need to hold them to that standard every game.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with technology assisting officials to ensure that calls on the field are correct— the problem lies in the fact that it’s use varies from game to game, where even after seeing an HD slow motion replay from multiple angles, fans watching at home are left to guess what the referee interpretation will be.
This. Being consistent when it comes to these things is a lot easier than other incidents that could be interpreted very differently from one human being to another. This should be black and white.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
No, there was one maybe 2 inside the box along with an arsenal player, all on the opposite side to the clearance.
mot had every part of the body got to be outside the box, these grounded feet are outside no doubt

Auba has not taken the kick yet in that still though, has he? Needs to go forward quite a few more frames.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It's a very easy thing not to do too. Players are fecking idiots at times tbh
It really isnt. If you are a defender, do you let attackers go before you, trusting that VAR will cancel it? Do you feck.. So its really hard for the defender

Jev

Not according to Sky. My first thought was the goalie cheating but it was Aarons.
Hmm, I'll have to look again. Still thought it looked daft. You could talk off any penalty or save if you're pedantic enough.

kouroux

It really isnt. If you are a defender, do you let attackers go before you, trusting that VAR will cancel it? Do you feck.. So its really hard for the defender
I know what you mean but that's not what I meant, I simply mean that this rule is very easy to follow in itself. I agree that the lack of consistency from referees makes players break it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How about goalies and defenders stop cheating?
It’s hardly cheating, if I was a defender and seen the opposition run in the box I’m going to have to follow him before I relied on var to call it back if he scores a rebound, it’s just not trust worthy or consistent enough

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hmm, I'll have to look again. Still thought it looked daft. You could talk off any penalty or save if you're pedantic enough.
I think the hope was that players would quickly stop doing it if they knew they'd be punished given it's really easy to avoid. At which point you'd stop even noticing it.

Rafaeldagold

It's against the rules. It's not difficult to remedy. If players insist on encroaching then it's their own fault. I don't see why anyone would have an issue with it.
Because VAR wasn’t brought in for pedantic little things like this. It’s ruling out a good bit of play for something so trivial. It just sucks all the energy out- i didn’t ever properly celebrate that save as knew VAR was in the background

drdoityourself

Just don't understand what was wrong with the sport for this massive change. And it turns out it's even more controversial than a Mike Dean in a North London derby.

Now the game is not the same anymore. I go and watch my local team, celebrate the moment we score. But watching United the celebration becomes mixed with doubt that they'll find something to chalk it off.

Just get rid, and forget it ever was.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Because VAR wasn’t brought in for pedantic little things like this. It’s ruling out a good bit of play for something so trivial. It just sucks all the energy out- i didn’t ever properly celebrate that save as knew VAR was in the background
It’s not trivial if Aaron’s doesn’t encroach maybe an Arsenal player gets there first and scores

cyberman

It’s hardly cheating, if I was a defender and seen the opposition run in the box I’m going to have to follow him before I relied on var to call it back if he scores a rebound, it’s just not trust worthy or consistent enough
6 other Norwich players managed to do it?
Its funny cause its not as if the opposition dont have to follow the same rules. Everybody starts from the same starting point.
Just time it better. Its not meant to be easy

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Just don't understand what was wrong with the sport for this massive change. And it turns out it's even more controversial than a Mike Dean in a North London derby.

Now the game is not the same anymore. I go and watch my local team, celebrate the moment we score. But watching United the celebration becomes mixed with doubt that they'll find something to chalk it off.

Just get rid, and forget it ever was.
Couldn't agree more mate

cyberman

So on the line is in the box which makes sense so theyre off as soon as he takes it ffs! And the ref apparently warned them as well..

Idiots

Rafaeldagold

It’s not trivial if Aaron’s doesn’t encroach maybe an Arsenal player gets there first and scores
There was an Arsenal player in there too i believe? You can rule out a lot of goals if you look hard enough. How did football ever survive before. Encroachment happened all the time from both teams, It was more a general guideline & not to he taken too literally unless you were taking the pi#s

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This is exactly the sort of thing VAR was brought in for. This isn't a marginal error. It really isn't hard to not cross the line before the ball is kicked. It wasn't even close. Players were yards over the line. Eventually, the morons will realise they can't continuously cheat and then we won't have anyone encroaching into the box, and the game will be better for it.

cyberman

There was an Arsenal player in there too i believe? You can rule out a lot of goals if you look hard enough. How did football ever survive before. Encroachment happened all the time from both teams, It was more a general guideline & not to he taken too literally unless you were taking the pi#s
Nope. It was an actual rule...
If i remember they decided to stamp it out after the NLD after Auba missed and the Spirs player cleared it due to be right beside him as he kicked it ffs!
Theres literally no excuse

Moonwalker

They are taking away encroachment now too? Oh, what has happened to the beautiful game? It was an integral part!

UncleBob

and ?

RUCK4444

It’s really really poor isn’t it.

Is there anyone who can say it’s worked well? Anyone.
To put it mildly It’s a feckin awful, pedantic, unreliable, shite show that is a stain on the best league in the world.

Thats a mild version of what I think about it.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I completely agree with the argument about lack of consistency since it’s pretty appalling, but in this case the rule clearly states that the pen should be retaken if there are players inside the box, which was exactly what happened. There’s plenty of things to moan about regarding VAR but this surely isn’t one of them.

Jev

How about goalies and defenders stop cheating?
It's not cheating, though. Things like taking one step forward as a keeper is not a very conscious act and thus not something you just unlearn. Same with encroachment, you're trying to find the exact right moment, and if you're a split second too early, and the VAR refs are anal enough, it'll be called back. But this was not what VAR was for, that is just solving a problem that never existed.

kouroux

The fact that some referees use it for that shows you that VAR also brought for these things, as pedantic as they seem.

Jev

I completely agree with the argument about lack of consistency since it’s pretty appalling, but some people seem to blame VAR because the refs are now using it to follow the rules.

The rule clearly states that the pen should be retaken if there are players inside the box, which clearly was the case here. There’s plenty of things to moan about regarding VAR but this surely isn’t one of them.
VAR does invite a much more literal, pedantic interpretation of the rules, though. When it was human judgement, you were more liable to give the benefit of the doubt but now you get these millimetre offsides that no-one, not a single person, used to consider an actual problem.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
VAR does invite a much more literal, pedantic interpretation of the rules, though. When it was human judgement, you were more liable to give the benefit of the doubt but now you get these millimetre offsides that no-one, not a single person, used to consider an actual problem.
Sure I get that, but at the same time it has removed the human errors that everyone moaned about before. It will never be perfect and we just have to decide which “flaws” we want to see.

I’d rather see a game being decided by VAR correctly disallowing a goal where the player was 10cm offside than how it was before where the linesman could disallow a goal even though the player was a meter onside.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm sure Krul has form for this stepping forward off the line business, and it needs cutting out, as it narrows the angle.
It's cheating.

klayton88

What I've noticed in this game is all these little half VAR checks slow the game right down and allow the defending team to set up. It almost feels like you can appeal for everything and that little check the ref does before allowing the game to continue cancels all chance of a counter

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Seems someone in UEFA referees decided to enforce the GK one foot on the line rule suddenly?

Couple of retakes today, at Arsenal and Bilbao. Don't recall it being enforced much before today anywhere?