Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If there was one caveat we could make with VAR, would be to give strikers a few pixels of leeway for being offsides. That goal clearly would have been, to the naked eye, even enough to give the advantage to the attacker.

But, with a system that can be exact, we'll just have to accept that there is now no advantage to the attacker.

ShinjiNinja26

Yeah, I’m fine with the technology being brought in but the way it’s currently being utilised in the PL is shocking! And what’s with preventing the referee using the pitch side monitor? It’s part of fecking VAR and it’s used to good effect in every other league that uses it so why not here? :houllier:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There'll always be a margin of error though, which makes them subjective. At what point do you even measure the ball leaving the passer's foot? Completely subjective.
But that's the thing, there is no room for error when you have the advantage of video replays at your disposal. Any incorrect decision made by VAR will be scrutinized and rightly so.

Kostur

海尔的老板
For me the most bizzare thing about EPL VAR is the lack of the main ref coming to the sideline checking shit for himself. I know that such is the protocol here but it's only making shit worse if nothing else.

Josep Dowling

Strictly speaking, it is.
Offsides dont even fall under clear and obvious, it either is or not. That category is used for subjective calls
They're basing offsides on a camera frame which can be rewound and forward one frame and change the entire interpretation of the decision. To me this isn’t exactly highly accurate.

My opinion is they need to change the offside rule for VAR. If they have to put a line down and spend more than 10 seconds trying to establish whether it’s offside, favour the attacker. Simple as that.

cyberman

They're basing offsides on a camera frame which can be rewound and forward one frame and change the entire interpretation of the decision. To me this isn’t exactly highly accurate.

My opinion is they need to change the offside rule for VAR. If they have to put a line down and spend more than 10 seconds trying to establish whether it’s offside, favour the attacker. Simple as that.
Using their resolution and 3d technology it seems to be pretty accurate if truth be told

montpelier

Looks very dodgy. This is VAR though.

You can't allow players to be a bit offside just because it's a nice goal. This is how VAR does offsides.

If it can't do it, then you probably have to get rid of it. Maybe they are trying for that to be the argument.

Do people think VAR is good apart from offsides because I'm not sure it helps the subjective stuff always be better. That's just done to try and support the ref mainly. Perhaps it's a slight improvement but not enough to get VAR is fab excited over is it?

redshaw

How would Germany handle this Norwich goal or the Palace goal earlier on with Zaha?

EwanI Ted

Horrible decision that. The game rules are designed to be officiated with human level margin of error in mind, meaning people can push boundaries and take the chance they can get away with it. The heavy tackle, the ball controlled on the shoulder, the early run to beat the offside trap. Eliminate that margin of error and you reduce the reward for taking a risk. Players themselves don’t have the capacity to be as accurate as VAR, meaning in time to avoid VAR decisions they’ll have no choice but to stop pushing boundaries. That will certainly change the game, in my view for the worse.

RUCK4444

Looks very dodgy. This is VAR though.

You can't allow players to be a bit offside just because it's a nice goal. This is how VAR does offsides.

If it can't do it, then you probably have to get rid of it. Maybe they are trying for that to be the argument.

Do people think VAR is good apart from offsides because I'm not sure it helps the subjective stuff always be better. That's just done to try and support the ref mainly. Perhaps it's a slight improvement but not enough to get VAR is fab excited over is it?
It’s a steaming pile of turd, a pedantic, slow, inaccurate, wretched festering stain on our beautiful premier league.

I’ve avoided this thread because it literally hurts my head that people a) wanted it in the first place and b) that after witnessing it first hand become an absolute shambles and nothing more than a distraction from the the beautiful game, they continue to defend it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How would Germany handle this Norwich goal or the Palace goal earlier on with Zaha?
An offside is an offside, to me it feels like it's a much bigger issue in England, either because it takes longer there or because it happens more frequently.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Using their resolution and 3d technology it seems to be pretty accurate if truth be told
I think it is pretty accurate as well, but they really should think about educating the public about it. Some short film about how It is done, how accurate it is, etc. And to send some proper images to the tv stations.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it is pretty accurate as well, but they really should think about educating the public about it. Some short film about how It is done, how accurate it is, etc. And to send some proper images to the tv stations.
you mean like this?

Bobski

Yeah, I’m fine with the technology being brought in but the way it’s currently being utilised in the PL is shocking! And what’s with preventing the referee using the pitch side monitor? It’s part of fecking VAR and it’s used to good effect in every other league that uses it so why not here? :houllier:
That would be one of the more irritating takes you hear/read about VAR. There are plenty of issues with it in other leagues and the CL/EL, Plenty of issues with it in other sports as well, any NBA fan can tell you the ludicrous extent video replays can extend the end of games for, the last 2 mins playing time taking up to 30 mins real time is not strange.

Anyway, ultimately I think it has made the game less fun, probably fairer, but less engaging.

montpelier

It’s a steaming pile of turd, a pedantic, slow, inaccurate, wretched festering stain on our beautiful premier league.

I’ve avoided this thread because it literally hurts my head that people a) wanted it in the first place and b) that after witnessing it first hand become an absolute shambles and nothing more than a distraction from the the beautiful game, they continue to defend it.
I definitely see where you are coming from and some of what gets said to defend it is just completely stupid imo.

There are some good outcomes where I see it has helped and I think player behaviour is greatly improved on the general level. Game is much less low level petty and Cheaty overall.

It's just the actual decisions really for which the process is very much like you describe.

montpelier

They just said it gets 'calibrated' - possibly not totally accurately if you believe the Pukki freeze frame and have watched him get back onside.

Which I think we all agree with at least.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I can understand the frustration with it, but it seems misplaced to me. An offside is a binary decision. It's either offside or it isn't, so you have to draw the line (heh) somewhere.

What's the alternative? Go back to the old method of the linesman having the only say? Yeah, because no one's ever complained about a linesman making the wrong decision or missing an obvious offside. People just love a good moan

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
Just give them bracelets or chips to wear and measure it by that. Problem solved

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can understand the frustration with it, but it seems misplaced to me. An offside is a binary decision. It's either offside or it isn't, so you have to draw the line (heh) somewhere.

What's the alternative? Go back to the old method of the linesman having the only say? Yeah, because no one's ever complained about a linesman making the wrong decision or missing an obvious offside. People just love a good moan
It's a binary decision that becomes non - binary when you're dealing with technology that isn't 100% accurate and is subject to human error

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's a binary decision that becomes non - binary when you're dealing with technology that isn't 100% accurate and is subject to human error
Again, what's the alternative? Of course there's human error, but there's less human error than relying on a linesman to make the call in real time

OldSchoolManc

Done with betting on football. Dodgy VAR decisions cost me more than a few times now.
Norwich 2-0 up and I get paid out.
I only bet fairly small, but I imagine there are people who bet far more, that are getting robbed blind!

EwanI Ted

Again, what's the alternative? Of course there's human error, but there's less human error than relying on a linesman to make the call in real time
It’s not about accuracy for accuracy’s sake, it’s supposed to make the game more enjoyable. If it improves the accuracy rate of the linesman’s decisions by a couple of % but diminishes the overall enjoyment of the match, that’s not a forward step.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
It’s not about accuracy for accuracy’s sake, it’s supposed to make the game more enjoyable. If it improves the accuracy rate of the linesman’s decisions by a couple of % but diminishes the overall enjoyment of the match, that’s not a forward step.
no it wasn't it was brought in to increase accuracy that's it

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This isn't VAR, this is the EPL's VAR.

Put me in Hamilton's car and it doesn't all of a sudden become a shit car because I don't know how to handle it properly.

Johan07

So you would prefer to go back to 100% human error and 2000% more de factual errors? When it comes to offsides it has to be like this.
You cant draw some imaginary line 10 cms back or whatever. Its just moving the goalposts.
This needs to settle and in a year or two people will question why it was ever different.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Go back a year and look at great goals being given for offsides, blatant handballs ignored, blant onside decisions being given off due to out of position linesman.
I can understand the frustration but feck me, all of that was many times worse.
You don't need to go back a year. Smalling apparently doesn't have a face, just another hand where the face should be

AaronRedDevil

They should really have a body to body rule. Its stupid as **** if your offside by your leg or arm.