Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

montpelier

I find it difficult to watch it and stay fixed on Martial. I almost just see Martial falling over after the ball has gone.

I might see Zouma kicking through but still not much more than Lindelof might do to Zaha (got some ball too, but similar)

I really don't think it LOOKS enough. Ref in real time, VAR to overrule.

If you want VAR as Ref #1, I still think it's very soft for a penalty.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I am sorry but it wasn't a foul. If the Zouma challenge was a foul then Zaha should have got a penalty the other night. People cannot have it both ways.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I am sorry but it wasn't a foul. If the Zouma challenge was a foul then Zaha should have got a penalty the other night. People cannot have it both ways.
I think it was a foul, but then I thought the Lindelof one was too.

You're right though, you can't say that one is and the other isn't.

NinjaFletch

Lindelof gets the ball and then makes contact, Zouma boots through the back of Martial's leg.

I'd say it's a foul, but it's outside the area and not a clear goalscoring opportunity so there's no grounds for VAR to get involved.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Lindelof gets the ball and then makes contact, Zouma boots through the back of Martial's leg.

I'd say it's a foul, but it's outside the area and not a clear goalscoring opportunity so there's no grounds for VAR to get involved.
Looks to me that he kicks both at the same time.

NinjaFletch

Looks to me that he kicks both at the same time.
I spent about a day arguing that one in here, so I'm not getting into that one again (!) but he definitely doesn't. Ball first and then makes contact with Zaha's leg.

If he had made simultaneous contact I'd say both were fouls.

montpelier

I'm mainly saying they don't tend to get given as fouls.

I don't mind that VAR supports that - altho that's at least problematic and possibly a bit silly.

But you're soon back arguing or retreating behind what we accept as clear and obvious. My clear and obvious isn't yours kind of thing. Which ruins it as an idea that can ever work.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

No I agree. Personally, I would have it your way around. However, when one is given one day, you cannot have the reverse the next day.

padr81

Supports
Man City
How was that not a pen. DDG would have been proud of that save.

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
Another weird decision tonight blatant penalty on mane not given when azpilecuta barges through his back and it looks like VAR didn't even look at it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Will Bournemouth sue because they've effectively been relegated by the point that Villa gained from the Sheff Utd no goal

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Another VAR masterclass today. I really don't understand why they didn't even check Kovacic's second yellow. I know they don't normally check yellow cards but a second yellow should have a mandatory check like a straight red does.

Edit: Just to clarify I do think Arsenal were deserved winners. But I can't help thinking what would have been had the correct decisions been made.

Anustart89

Another VAR masterclass today. I really don't understand why they didn't even check Kovacic's second yellow. I know they don't normally check yellow cards but a second yellow should have a mandatory check like a straight red does.

Edit: Just to clarify I do think Arsenal were deserved winners. But I can't help thinking what would have been had the correct decisions been made.
No need to be confused, you literally answered it in the next sentence? Why are you having a go at VAR for that?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
No need to be confused, you literally answered it in the next sentence? Why are you having a go at VAR for that?
Because it's such a game changing event it is moronic that a second yellow is not checked. In the instance of a dubious first yellow a player at least has it in his hands whether he gets sent off for a second if they were to check the second.

cyberman

Because its harder to overrule yellow cards. Red cards are cut and dry. Yellows aren't

montpelier

Most reds are 2nd yellows.

VAR never do anything on straight reds other than support the ref.

Another win for "Why Bother?"

Anustart89

Because it's such a game changing event it is moronic that a second yellow is not checked. In the instance of a dubious first yellow a player at least has it in his hands whether he gets sent off for a second if they were to check the second.
But it makes it a bit unfair because they're not checking all yellows.

Let's say a player makes a tackle that should've been a yellow, then makes another one that he gets booked for which should've been a second yellow. Do you think they should go back 25 minutes and check the first incident then? Bit unfair, don't you think?

montpelier

Let's say a player makes a tackle that should've been a yellow, then makes another one that he gets booked for which should've been a second yellow. Do you think they should go back 25 minutes and check the first incident then? Bit unfair, don't you think?
That's true, tbf.

And another win for "Why bother?"

forevrared

The real question for me is why they didn't review Martinez coming out of the box to catch the ball - so blatant. There's no way they checked that and deemed it okay.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
The real question for me is why they didn't review Martinez coming out of the box to catch the ball - so blatant. There's no way they checked that and deemed it okay.
they did, they don't have to stop the game to review it

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
They showed it on BBC after the match, his legs were indeed way out of the box, but his arms reached back in and the ball was over the line, not even close to having completely crossed.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

I wouldn't class it as unfair because the player at least knows he has to be careful to avoid a second booking and it is in his own hands whether he gets dismissed. Wrong decisions happen in a game and not all of them should be checked by VAR because it would inevitably disrupt the flow of the game. I draw the line however with a player being sent off for a straight red or second yellow when they haven't committed an offense. The reason why VAR was brought in was to make sure that the huge decisions which a game hinges on are checked and corrected if they are wrong.

Mr Smith

Can anyone explain to me why VAR didn't check the two penalty decisions in the Juve/Lyon game? What is the point of the "clear and obvious error" rule if they don't overturn clear and obvious errors?

Web of Bissaka

The technology is not the biggest problem (it's not 100%, but close to it).

The people using it is.
1. VAR usage - Decision-making when and when not to use VAR. This is still inconsistent in certain situations.
2. Review - Decision-making in deciding 50-50 and close to 50-50 calls after using VAR to support. It still depends on interpretations during reviewing.

So really, human error still remains largely, and a slight tech error. But we know that already.

VAR overall make the game much better, controversies are less now but cannot be removed completely.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So if you’re half a cnut hair offside on an indistinguishable frozen frame they’ll disallow it, but scoring from the passage of play that started with a wrongly awarded throw in - can’t be touching that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So if you’re half a cnut hair offside on an indistinguishable frozen frame they’ll disallow it, but scoring from the passage of play that started with a wrongly awarded throw in - can’t be touching that.
Yeah, they really need to assess what VAR allows you to check. It should just be everything and anything that is wrong, you can't pick and choose what you want to influence the game.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah, they really need to assess what VAR allows you to check. It should just be everything and anything that is wrong, you can't pick and choose what you want to influence the game.
It’s ridiculous, that’s actually clearly identifiable as an error. The offside calls have been so marginal there’s no way of knowing whether they’ve chosen the right frame.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s ridiculous, that’s actually clearly identifiable as an error. The offside calls have been so marginal there’s no way of knowing whether they’ve chosen the right frame.
...and another one.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I couldn't give a toss about a wrongly awarded throw in 60 yards from goal. Do your job and defend competently.

MikeeMike

I’m not a conspiracy type person and please dont judge this as biased / bitter/ “it was fixed” reflex. BUT. Why was there no replay showing any VAR decisions. Why did the referee, (actually would be great if so quick), receive such quick decisions on everything during the match.
Was any decision overturned by VAR? Who is in contact with the referee to relay the decision.
I dont believe the Earth is flat and i believe man landed on the moon but I strongly suspect that there was NO VAR in place for this game.
Is this only me ?

Jev

The penalty is fair. It's the rules that are wrong, not the call.

The retake is one of the most farcical things I've ever seen, can't believe the people calling that can take themselves seriously. It's certainly hard to take football seriously anymore.

Zen86

Beyond a joke. It wasn’t a penalty to begin with, and then the retake :houllier:

I would expect every single penalty to be retaken this season, as De Gea did what literally all keepers do.

Mindhunter

Beyond a joke. It wasn’t a penalty to begin with, and then the retake :houllier:

I would expect every single saved penalty to be retaken this season, as De Gea did what literally all keepers do.
Fixed it for you.
In reality what will happen is that goalkeepers will be more focused on where their feet are instead of saving the penalty resulting in much lesser number of penalty saves.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

I would expect every single penalty to be retaken this season, as De Gea did what literally all keepers do.
I think that's the point though, Keepers have been allowed to cheat unchallenged for year, some penalties they were 2 or 3 yards off the line, harsh decision on DDG in this instance but make sure you are on the line