Getting carried away after a win against PSG, it seems like the caf has learned nothing

Cantonagotmehere

A good percentage of media and fans overreact all the time. I sure do at times, but the title of this post is really, really poor. Anyone who watched that game could feel the importance. Who knows what happens from here, but that was a huge win.

Basa1987

I started supporting United in 02 and to my recollection away wins against the absolute top teams were extremely rare. Even during our Ronnie peak between 06-09 and up until 2013, (we played Inter, Barca, Bayern, Madrid) we ended up drawing or losing all 4 away games if I recall correctly.

I agree that we shouldn't read too much into this (title talk etc is crazy) but can't we atleast enjoy the euphoria of a fantastic performance and win?

criticalanalysis

Glad you said it.

I was hyped and will enjoy it for what's it worth but it doesn't change the last 2 years.

We will blow teams away with our individual ability and athleticism more times than not, when we get up to speed. The issue is transforming that into dominant performances regularly without needing to be game raising cnuts or needing world class talent at every position.

Denis' cuff

Glad you said it.

I was hyped and will enjoy it for what's it worth but it doesn't change the last 2 years.

We will blow teams away with our individual ability and athleticism more times than not, when we get up to speed. The issue is transforming that into dominant performances regularly without needing to be game raising cnuts or needing world class talent at every position.
Why stop at 2 years? did you miss the previous 5?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Did we learn anything from that win that we didn't already know?

Didn't we already know United can play five at the back and get a favourable result away against another European top club?

Didn't we already know that this United side thrives when being the underdog, ie not expected to win?

Didn't we already know that United can win narrow games thanks to penalties, and do we know that the penalties will sooner or later dry up?

Solkjaer's quest to turn United into a plucky midtable club is def succeeding.

When this United side can easily brush aside the likes of Crystal Palace/Tottenham at home, when the pressure is still on, with a swagger befitting of one of the biggest clubs in the world, that's when Solkjaer can start proving everyone wrong. A win in the CL group stage against a poor PSG side fielding such mediocrity as Kean, Herrera and Kurzawa, is no impressive feat at all.
Yes

Maybe, but this showed more

Not the case

We win games without penalties too. You sound like a Liverpool fan

I'm pretty sure he took us to 3rd last season? (Please don't say Poch is the answer :) )

Not sure what the bold is for. That's like Trump and his random capitals in tweets

So PSG are a "top club" and we're "underdogs" but you've named 3 average players and that makes it a "poor PSG side"? if it was poor, then surely we weren't underdogs? We played a young player who'd been out nearly a year and Luke Shaw and their goal was an OG, so all evens out. The difference is Ole picked a team, formation and tactic that won.... Tuchel didn't. Also, our players put the effort in, theirs didn't.

I didn't see loads of posters getting carried away, I saw loads of fans happy their team had won/played well and enjoying the moment ... sort of the point of being a fan and supporting a club?

Hard to tell what's parody and what's agenda on the Caf recently.

Andersonson

The OP reeks sunday-league understading of the game.

Im sure the wife is the one supporting him and not the other way around as he claims

Untd55

I know people are saying that progress has been made judged by the last performance against PSG and this one, but I think people forget that the 18/19 PSG team was stronger than what was fielded on Tuesday, particularly the midfield.

18/19
Buffon
Kehrer, Silva, Kimpembe
Alves, Marquinhos, Verrati, Bernat
Draxler, Mbappe, Di Maria

20/21
Navas,
Florenzi, Diallo, Kimpembe, Kurzawa
Herrera, Pereira, Gueye
Di Maria, Mbappe, Neymar

The midfield was average because they were missing their first-team players (Paredes, Verratti, Marquinhos). It was a good win, but I don't think comparing the 18/19 performance to this one is a good way to prove progress.

Slik

Did we learn anything from that win that we didn't already know?

Didn't we already know United can play five at the back and get a favourable result away against another European top club?

Didn't we already know that this United side thrives when being the underdog, ie not expected to win?

Didn't we already know that United can win narrow games thanks to penalties, and do we know that the penalties will sooner or later dry up?

When this United side can easily brush aside the likes of Crystal Palace/Tottenham at home, when the pressure is still on, with a swagger befitting of one of the biggest clubs in the world, that's when Solkjaer can start proving everyone wrong. A win in the CL group stage against a poor PSG side fielding such mediocrity as Kean, Herrera and Kurzawa, is no impressive feat at all.
Just one question? Why and how will the penalties dry up? Our players will stop getting in the box and trying to score? Or referees will be taken out of the game therefore no foul calling in the box? Or VAR will be out of the game? Or opponents will stop hacking our players down in the box and actually allow them to score?

rollingstoned1

we shouldn't get carried away with a win against a 'shit team missing many first choice players' whom we beat convincingly but if we had lost that would have shown how rubbish and far away from the top we are with a fraud glazer shill at the wheel. akin to eveyrone who had a meltdown without even wanting to consider any extenuating circumstance such as the team being undercooked going into the season, it only sums up the so called cynical 'voice of reason' on the caf and the general false equivalency at work here on this place.

Foxbatt

It was a very good game. We should keep this tactics against all the teams too. It is not that we cannot break down other teams but we get killed at the back too. We have players now who can score against any team if Ole can get his selection and tactics right.

lysglimt

Scout
I started supporting United in 02 and to my recollection away wins against the absolute top teams were extremely rare.
That is an understatement. The only real criticism I have against Ferguson was his results away from home in C.L
I would say the only top, top team we beat away from home was Juventus twice. We beat Roma Porto, Deportivo etc - but none of those teams were elite.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
That is an understatement. The only real criticism I have against Ferguson was his results away from home in C.L
I would say the only top, top team we beat away from home was Juventus twice. We beat Roma Porto, Deportivo etc - but none of those teams were elite.
AC Milan was decent in 2010, especially after getting spanked by them 2 years earlier. Weren’t as strong as 07 but still considered a big team then

Agreed though, we were always turned over by Madrid, Barca, Bayern

BFernandes

Your wife and three kids must have sucked all the fun out of you.

People enjoyed the result, let them enjoy.

Longshanks

It was a good performance and result. There isn't much to complain about if anything the only complaint is we should of won by more.

Why put up a negative post aboout a good performance and result? Is it 'oleout' tinted glasses?

There will be poor performances and results in the future to complain and moan about but if you can't enjoy winning away at one of the top sides in Europe in the champions league then you might aswell not bother following football, because nights like that are what it's all about really.

alexthelion

That would be the Solskjaer who is the third fastest United manger to 50 wins (92 games), behind only Ernest Mangnall (78) and Jose (81)?

Edit: 3rd is midtable now?

Last edited:

masii

I am new member here and I wonder this pessimistic atmosphere here, many people in the forum want ole out obsessively and many of them want Poch instead of him, it is my observation which could be wrong I do not see much posts about technical stuff and fair points it is more like a battlefield for Ole obsessed people, well, both Ole out or Ole in both can be obsessed in their own way! I think there are much much more going in the club rather than being obsessed with our manager. When you are obsessed you do not learn new things good or bad because you are blind with your obsessions. People did not learn about PSG or etc because obsessed people would never learn!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I am new member here and I wonder this pessimistic atmosphere here, many people in the forum want ole out obsessively and many of them want Poch instead of him, it is my observation which could be wrong I do not see much posts about technical stuff and fair points it is more like a battlefield for Ole obsessed people, well, both Ole out or Ole in both can be obsessed in their own way! I think there are much much more going in the club rather than being obsessed with our manager. When you are obsessed you do not learn new things good or bad because you are blind with your obsessions. People did not learn about PSG or etc because obsessed people would never learn!
Fair play, it really is astounding to observe the negativity at times. It must be consuming, and it builds over time however unfounded or casual at the start. I agree with you fully, being in that obsessed state brings so much unbalance and it's easy to miss the bigger picture. Hopefully fans will be able to enjoy supporting the club despite some frustrations. Games like the ones against PSG is really fun if you can enjoy the moment.

Manutd GOGOGO

I know people are saying that progress has been made judged by the last performance against PSG and this one, but I think people forget that the 18/19 PSG team was stronger than what was fielded on Tuesday, particularly the midfield.

18/19
Buffon
Kehrer, Silva, Kimpembe
Alves, Marquinhos, Verrati, Bernat
Draxler, Mbappe, Di Maria

20/21
Navas,
Florenzi, Diallo, Kimpembe, Kurzawa
Herrera, Pereira, Gueye
Di Maria, Mbappe, Neymar

The midfield was average because they were missing their first-team players (Paredes, Verratti, Marquinhos). It was a good win, but I don't think comparing the 18/19 performance to this one is a good way to prove progress.

We won when their midfield was stronger and we won again when their midfield was weaker.

We won by scrapping through and we won again by outmaneuvering them convincingly.

That is progress. The ability to win big matches either way.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Feck it, its big away win against PSG in CL, you don't get many of these over the years, so, lets get carried away!

Member 113277

I like your post and the underpinning logic.

Unfortunately, society in general is becoming more binary and people want to pick a tribe.

A football manager is never truly 'in' these days and tenure can be threatened by a run of very poor results.

On the other hand, if a manager isn't given a reasonable period to build results on a repeated basis, a club will lurch from crisis to crisis.

Thirdly, past performance does not guarantee future results.

What we have, with Ole, is someone who knows the club very well (as a player, reserve manager and now 1st team manager) and who took over a circus when Jose left.

On the plus side, we have seen some deadwood cleared out (and some still to go) and some signings that have worked out generally much better than those of the previous three managers, though in fairness to Moyes half of his (Fellaini, Mata) have made some decent contributions and the other two (Varela, Janko) cost less than £3m combined, so were hardly major disasters.

The team spirit is much better than it was before he arrived.

In terms of football style, there seems to be a focus on more attacking play with dangerous counter attacking capability and the number of penalties awarded (in a VAR regime) shows how uncomfortable our forwards make life for defenders. Post lockdown last season, there was some evidence of overcoming mid/lower-table teams with massed ranks in defence - it remains to be seen if this will be true over a whole season.

More concerningly, the team has demonstrated inconsistency - up and down like a yoyo - the good times are great (third was earned last year with a superb run), but the bad periods are abject - the home losses to Palace and Spurs were appalling, with a team in disarray, whilst at other times the players seem to have run out of steam and confidence.

On balance, I believe Ole is taking things in the right direction, but to become a top manager he needs to demonstrate that he can develop a team that plays well consistently, for that is the secret to challenging seriously for the Premier League. Presently, I could see Utd winning a cup, but not delivering 38 results to compete for the PL.

pass.pass.pass

Fair play, it really is astounding to observe the negativity at times. It must be consuming, and it builds over time however unfounded or casual at the start. I agree with you fully, being in that obsessed state brings so much unbalance and it's easy to miss the bigger picture. Hopefully fans will be able to enjoy supporting the club despite some frustrations. Games like the ones against PSG is really fun if you can enjoy the moment.
I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed it. Still, I can keep the larger picture in mind. Because, with all due respect, this is Manchester United. We do not solely live for singular moments in a season. We want titles. An away win against PSG in the first game of a CL campaign, as impressive as it is, is never to be seen as some massive upset or proclaimed as a game-changer. We have been here before with this team winning the big games but being unable to be consistent enough. This is a mammoth club that has dominated the league in the PL era. If you lose 1-6 at home, and the name of your manager is not Alex Ferguson, then in the following weeks you are of course going to see some negativity. We are nowhere near out of the woods yet. Some of us would like to see the standards being kept up at this club.

Disagreement is to be welcomed on a forum, and people on both sides should stop classifying those who disagree with them as positive, negative, knee-jerk etc. etc.

Last edited:

masii

I like your post and the underpinning logic.

Unfortunately, society in general is becoming more binary and people want to pick a tribe.

A football manager is never truly 'in' these days and tenure can be threatened by a run of very poor results.

On the other hand, if a manager isn't given a reasonable period to build results on a repeated basis, a club will lurch from crisis to crisis.

Thirdly, past performance does not guarantee future results.

What we have, with Ole, is someone who knows the club very well (as a player, reserve manager and now 1st team manager) and who took over a circus when Jose left.

On the plus side, we have seen some deadwood cleared out (and some still to go) and some signings that have worked out generally much better than those of the previous three managers, though in fairness to Moyes half of his (Fellaini, Mata) have made some decent contributions and the other two (Varela, Janko) cost less than £3m combined, so were hardly major disasters.

The team spirit is much better than it was before he arrived.

In terms of football style, there seems to be a focus on more attacking play with dangerous counter attacking capability and the number of penalties awarded (in a VAR regime) shows how uncomfortable our forwards make life for defenders. Post lockdown last season, there was some evidence of overcoming mid/lower-table teams with massed ranks in defence - it remains to be seen if this will be true over a whole season.

More concerningly, the team has demonstrated inconsistency - up and down like a yoyo - the good times are great (third was earned last year with a superb run), but the bad periods are abject - the home losses to Palace and Spurs were appalling, with a team in disarray, whilst at other times the players seem to have run out of steam and confidence.

On balance, I believe Ole is taking things in the right direction, but to become a top manager he needs to demonstrate that he can develop a team that plays well consistently, for that is the secret to challenging seriously for the Premier League. Presently, I could see Utd winning a cup, but not delivering 38 results to compete for the PL.
Great summary indeed. Well, Redcafe is also part of the society, my point was current situation in united is not homogeneous like many things in our life! Stigmatizing current performance on one factor is not logical in this situation!

Foxbatt

This is what worries me. This is deja vu. We beat PSG and it's a new start. If we win today and the next few matches then I can accept that's a new start.
Pep gets the sack and Poch takes over City and we may not get another top class coach. I sincerely hope that we win today.

hobbers

Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton. These are the games that truly define where we are right now.

Mindhunter

Maybe you haven't read enough or it is just confirmation bias. There has been lot written about what issues we have with Ole's management. Overall I still want him to be around but he needs to learn quickly.