Getting players with the right mentality

TheReligion

Abusive
How important is this in your opinion?

It seems with the signing of Bruno United are continuing to get players of a certain profile. They are young, hungry, want to play for United and have a bit of fire and bite about them. I know there's alot of negativity around the club but surely this is the right way to go moving forward as a decreased winning mentality and desire is something we have all seen disappear in recent times. Liverpool are a prime example of how that mentality can elevate players to another level and make a team function together.

Maguire, AWB, James and Bruno all fit the profile. Obviously there's continued work to do but if you look at our players, including those we have brought through, the theme is clear;

DDG
Williams
Maguire
AWB
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
James
Rashford
Greenwood

The above all want to be here and are hungry to succeed. They just have that bit of something that means they'll bust their gut and do all they can on the pitch. It's subjective of course but that's my opinion. Then you have the likes of Lindelof, Shaw, Pogba, Martial. They make up the rest to a degree and need to show that fire to be here for me.

We are genuinely trying to build something and I'm positive about that. Plenty of work to do but I do think we are going after the right kind of player (and purging the squad of the older/wrong types).

Raven

It seems with the signing of Bruno United are continuing to get players of a certain profile. They are young, hungry, want to play for United and have a bit of fire and bite about them. I know there's alot of negativity around the club but surely this is the right way to go moving forward as a decreased winning mentality and desire is something we have all seen disappear in recent times. Liverpool are a prime example of how that mentality can elevate players to another level and make a team function together.

Maguire, AWB, James and Bruno all fit the profile. Obviously there's continued work to do but if you look at our players, including those we have brought through, the theme is clear;

DDG
Williams
Maguire
AWB
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
James
Rashford
Greenwood

The above all want to be here and are hungry to succeed. They just have that bit of something that means they'll bust their gut and do all they can on the pitch. It's subjective of course but that's my opinion. Then you have the likes of Lindelof, Shaw, Pogba, Martial. They make up the rest to a degree and need to show that fire to be here for me.

We are genuinely trying to build something and I'm positive about that. Plenty of work to do but I do think we are going after the right kind of player (and purging the squad of the older/wrong types).
I agree, there seems to be a clearer vision on what we want from our signings now. We just need more of them.

Raw

It's important and I'm glad Ole is pushing towards getting players that genuinely want to succeed here. Remove the players who don't care and are just here for the money and unrest from the players should subside.

But who knows if that'll last after 2 years of no success.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree with your post.
I'm not his biggest fan, but that's harsh on Lindelöf.
I don't dislike Lindelof but I do think there's question marks about his mental strength.

The key here now is to get Pogba to commit to this or move him on. That needs doing in the summer either way for me. If he buys into it then new contract. If he doesn't, move him on and carry on.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Take a player like Brandon Williams. Reminds me so much of Gary Neville. Neither are the most gifted footballers you'll come across, but both have an aggression and a determination to win that other players simply don't have.

A player's mentality can define their entire career.

At the other end of the scale it can be the difference between a Nani and a Cristiano Ronaldo.

Steven-UK

I think getting owners, sporting directors, and similar staff with the right mentality is equally just as important as the players and their mentality. Unless we get both sides of the coin singing from the same sheet, this club will continue to go nowhere fast.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's very important. People liked to laugh at Henderson at Liverpool but he's the epitome of it. Came into Liverpool and wasn't even Gerrards shadow. Got regularly abused by his own fans and others, was on the verge of moving to Fulham in an exchange deal but was adamant that he didn't want it. He grafted his absolute bollocks off and proved everyone wrong as he's now going to be a PL and CL title winner and get the medal that Gerrard never did.

Robertson is another example of a player at Pool with those characteristics. Was released by Celtic and worked in a grocery store and didn't know if he'd play football at any decent level again but as with Henderson he grafted, this time in the Scottish lower leagues and it's paid off completely.

It was similar with your sides of old too, Park/Evra/Vidic/Scholes/Neville/Carrick/Fletcher never really had a party boy image or lifestyle. Complete opposite and were able to make up for the ones that may have. Even the ones that did were freaks like Ronaldo and Rooney who could get away with it because of their commitment to football and being the best.

Kostur

海尔的老板
There's this assumption that every young player coming from a smaller club has the 'I want to win it all' mentality. What if he comes to the bigger club and has the 'I've already made it' mentality? It's too early to see whether those who Ole brought in have the mentality, it's just wishful thinking.

TheReligion

Abusive
There's this assumption that every young player coming from a smaller club has the 'I want to win it all' mentality. What if he comes to the bigger club and has the 'I've already made it' mentality? It's too early to see whether those who Ole brought in have the mentality, it's just wishful thinking.
You can see it on the pitch if you watch the team. It's easy to spot. Not sure who you're referring to?

TheReligion

Abusive
It's very important. People liked to laugh at Henderson at Liverpool but he's the epitome of it. Came into Liverpool and wasn't even Gerrards shadow. Got regularly abused by his own fans and others, was on the verge of moving to Fulham in an exchange deal but was adamant that he didn't want it. He grafted his absolute bollocks off and proved everyone wrong as he's now going to be a PL and CL title winner and get the medal that Gerrard never did.

Robertson is another example of a player at Pool with those characteristics. Was released by Celtic and worked in a grocery store and didn't know if he'd play football at any decent level again but as with Henderson he grafted, this time in the Scottish lower leagues and it's paid off completely.

It was similar with your sides of old too, Park/Evra/Vidic/Scholes/Neville/Carrick/Fletcher never really had a party boy image or lifestyle. Complete opposite and were able to make up for the ones that may have. Even the ones that did were freaks like Ronaldo and Rooney who could get away with it because of their commitment to football and being the best.
Good post. You'll have found the same issues within your own club too lately I'd imagine?

What do you think of United's recruitment in this respect (Maguire, Wan Bissaka, James and Bruno)

Roboc7

Most important thing is the manager has the right mentality. That’s the person that sets the tone, from what he’s shown so far Ole doesn’t have enough about him to do that at this level.

Kostur

海尔的老板
You can see it on the pitch if you watch the team. It's easy to spot. Not sure who you're referring to?
You mean in general or our players specifically? As in, the 'I've already made it' part or the wishful thinking part?

In case of the latter, you could make a case that losing to Bournemouths or Burnleys of this world indicates that the players have come with the wrong mentality for the match, which then would indicate that they haven't got the right mentality. As I've siad, it's wishful thinking depending on how you rate the transfers and whether you believe in the 'rebuilding' process.

TheReligion

Abusive
You mean in general or our players specifically? As in, the 'I've already made it' part or the wishful thinking part?

In case of the latter, you could make a case that losing to Bournemouths or Burnleys of this world indicates that the players have come with the wrong mentality for the match, which then would indicate that they haven't got the right mentality. As I've siad, it's wishful thinking depending on how you rate the transfers and whether you believe in the 'rebuilding' process.
Which players I've mentioned do you not think have the right mentality and why?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I hate it and it is best way to go in mediocrity. When did fighting spirit, hard work and things like that became football trait? All that is something what every player who plays at highest level must have. Skill and talent win you games and titles not just hard work and right attitude.

I don't want to be misunderstood here. Sure that there are some small group of talented players who we must avoid signing( old players who just want final big contract or "i am bigger than club" players like Neymar) but in general, talent and skill must be priority and then among those players we must pick players with right attitude. Not sacrifice skill because some player gives "100% on the pitch".

Last edited:

Kostur

海尔的老板
Which players I've mentioned do you not think have the right mentality and why?
Uhm, I think I've already said that for me it's too early to judge whether AWB, Maguire and James have the right mentality, same applies to Williams. I could argue that there's something wrong with Fred given his previous 'commitment', no idea about Greenwood either. From the ones you've mentioned we've seen enough of Rashford, DDG and McTominay to judge and I like what I see form them obviously, Rashford being the role model here (with the blip of his 0.012% bullshit but I blame it on spending too much time with JLingz manchild).

I've got absolutely no idea how you managed to assess Bruno's mentality here.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Its extremely important imo and one of the main ingredients to how Fergie was so successful.

Of course players can improve their mentality and attitude with the right coaching and motivation, but you need a certain type of player and identifying those is half the job. Di Maria is prime example of a player who only came because of money. Get too many of those type of players and you will end up in trouble

spiriticon

Extremely important for me. Talent without hard work just leaves you with a Januzaj-level player. Worst still if you forked out £60 million for that talent.

On the other hand you have Jordan Henderson, who I didn't really rate talent wise initially, but his hard work has pushed him up to the elite level.

Bestietom

DDG
Williams
Maguire
AWB
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
James
Rashford
Greenwood

yes, we need to get it right. Players that want to play for the badge and not the money.

youngrell

Most important thing is the manager has the right mentality. That’s the person that sets the tone, from what he’s shown so far Ole doesn’t have enough about him to do that at this level.
Despite ruthlessly ripping players from the squad who don't have the correct mentality or quality for United?

I think he's laid down quite a marker for the players, that you will be moved on if you don't fit in.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

DDG
Williams
Maguire
AWB
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
James
Rashford
Greenwood

There's a lot to be said for this. They may have gone about it badly but you can see there is some kind of plan for restructuring the squad. In many ways United have distracted from that with the bungled PR briefings.

mewnew11

DDG
Williams
Maguire
AWB
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
James
Rashford
Greenwood

Good post. Infact another example of United trying to bring players with character is when we refused a deal for Dybala. He was more about money then being here.

Standards are being set now. You can see what they are trying to do. I will trust Ole with this rebuild. We may get a few things wrong or loose some matches but the foundation for a great future is being laid step by step

TheReligion

Abusive
Uhm, I think I've already said that for me it's too early to judge whether AWB, Maguire and James have the right mentality, same applies to Williams. I could argue that there's something wrong with Fred given his previous 'commitment', no idea about Greenwood either. From the ones you've mentioned we've seen enough of Rashford, DDG and McTominay to judge and I like what I see form them obviously, Rashford being the role model here (with the blip of his 0.012% bullshit but I blame it on spending too much time with JLingz manchild).

I've got absolutely no idea how you managed to assess Bruno's mentality here.
I'm not being rude but don't think you understand the whole mentality thing given what you've just said. Even oppo fans like @WolfInSharp'sClothing can recognise the mentality of Williams so not sure how you're missing it. Can only assume you don't understand the point.

Same with Bruno. He's a passionate player (watch him) and Sportings captain. He's a leader on the pitch. Same for Maguire who can can actively see offering leadership on the pitch.

youngrell

I think this approach has been the reason we appear to be targeting more English/British players recently. They are more likely to really want to play for United as they know better than foreign players what it means in this country.

We just need to make sure we match the mentality up with the required quality – probably the reason we are finding it hard to find too many targets.

KristianMackle

Yes we should field a squad of 11 Jordan Hendersons. Thats the kind of players Ole is interested in. I highly doubt Bruno Fernandes is a player he really wanted. He would've preferred Mason Mount.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's important but so is natural ability. We don't want to end up with a team of tryers who don't have it in them to challenge at the top end. Young and hungry is fine, but technically brilliant should also be a focus

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'm not being rude but don't think you understand the whole mentality thing given what you've just said. Even oppo fans like @WolfInSharp'sClothing can recognise the mentality of Williams so not sure how you're missing it. Can only assume you don't understand the point.

Same with Bruno. He's a passionate player (watch him) and Sportings captain. He's a leader on the pitch. Same for Maguire who can can actively see offering leadership on the pitch.
Yeah, you're not being rude, perhaps I don't understand your point or you're just seeing what you want to see, that's sort of my point. I do agree with your core idea that it's massively important, make no mistake, but I do think that our perceptions of the concept itself differ.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think this approach has been the reason we appear to be targeting more English/British players recently. They are more likely to really want to play for United as they know better than foreign players what it means in this country.

We just need to make sure we match the mentality up with the required quality – probably the reason we are finding it hard to find too many targets.
Yeah. Our manager REALLY wants to manage us too. But making sure you get quality is arguably the most difficult aspect, which regardless of player or manager, is necessary.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, you're not being rude, perhaps I don't understand your point or you're just seeing what you want to see, that's sort of my point. I do agree with your core idea that it's massively important, make no mistake, but I do think that our perceptions of the concept itself differ.
I think whatever your thoughts are on the concept it's clear that club has shifted it's profile of target which to me shows a plan exists. Moving on Lukaku was a prime example.

OleTheGreat

I say we are extremely harsh on the players who have played over 20 games in the past month and a half. Also some of those players you have mentioned are injured and/or have other issues. Lindelof has been just great in partnering Maguire. In fact i feel Maguire has dropped form since joining from LFC. His long range passing is not so great and also he always goes to his left and never to the right plus he hardly drives with the ball except against Tranmere where he had a great game but that apart he's not been so great. Pogba genuinely has an injury but even otherwise i think he wants to join RM but i think RM are better off without a character like him (for a selfish motive). I want him to stay and prove that he's a Champion forgetting the fact that he's a current World Champion but he's done nothing of such sort for our club. We have many good players but Ole is probably not the man for the job but who can blame him, i will not sack him as yet because i want him to have a good squad and compete through the season rather than struggling with a depleted crap squad. Maybe Ole can do better things with a good squad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the difference between De Gea and Pogba?

Alabaster Codify7

Sorry, the players mentalities don't matter if the manager himself lacks the right mentality. A Man United manager should not be playing cagey counter-attacking football 99% of the time. We could bring in the most mentally solid guys out there, if the manager keeps telling to play as though theyre afraid of losing, they'll be considered weak and deadwood within 1 season.

IRELANDUNITED

DDG
Williams
Maguire
AWB
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
James
Rashford
Greenwood

I'm not questioning his hunger and desire to be here at all but I get a weird feeling with Greenwood, almost like his head is in the clouds and he has no idea what's going on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Its extremely important imo and one of the main ingredients to how Fergie was so successful.

Of course players can improve their mentality and attitude with the right coaching and motivation, but you need a certain type of player and identifying those is half the job. Di Maria is prime example of a player who only came because of money. Get too many of those type of players and you will end up in trouble
Fergie bought talented players and made winners from them by installing right mentality in them. That is something what good manager does. Sure he bought some players who were natural leaders like Keane, Vida or Cantona but they were also excellent players.

Regarding Di Maria; i don't know what happened there. He went from bigger club to smaller. From bigger league to smaller league. And was very good for PSG since they bought him. If his transfer to us was for the money then what to say for his transfer to PSG? Since he was a kid his dream was to play for PSG ?:)

Bestietom

Yes we should field a squad of 11 Jordan Hendersons. Thats the kind of players Ole is interested in. I highly doubt Bruno Fernandes is a player he really wanted. He would've preferred Mason Mount.
Here we go. He hasn't even played yet.

He'sRaldo

Extremely important for me. Talent without hard work just leaves you with a Januzaj-level player. Worst still if you forked out £60 million for that talent.

On the other hand you have Jordan Henderson, who I didn't really rate talent wise initially, but his hard work has pushed him up to the elite level.
To be fair, you gave a poor example of a talented player vs a good example of a grafter. Not every grafter becomes Henderson, in fact most ply their trade lower in the table.