Gaming Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Definitely a good idea to traverse down the Deflection tree early on. The ability to parry projectiles and strong attacks makes things so much easier.
Yeah, spearmen are a breeze with that. The heavenly strike skill is also great, though it blows through your resolve.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This game made me start a new Shogun 2 total war campaign. Why control only one dude with a katana when you can control thousands.

AaronRedDevil

Finally got it today. Will start playing it tomorrow. Tell me one thing. Is the story any good?

Irwin99

The enemy AI is comical at times. I know nothing about this technical stuff but I heard someone comment that the PS5 will improve AI a lot more noticeably than graphics. I hope that's true.

Irwin99

Finally got it today. Will start playing it tomorrow. Tell me one thing. Is the story any good?
So far in terms of story, way better than Assassin's Creed Odyssey, not as good as Witcher 3. There's quite a bit of filler in side quests but there's some good moments too. It's looking promising at the end of Act 1.

AaronRedDevil

So far in terms of story, way better than Assassin's Creed Odyssey, not as good as Witcher 3. There's quite a bit of filler in side quests but there's some good moments too. It's looking promising at the end of Act 1.
That's grand so. Really like AC:O so it's good to hear it's better. Cheers

Jack-C20

Really enjoying this so far. One regret I have is picking the wrong horse. I got the deluxe edition and I think I picked the horse that came with that. It’s brown and I think white or black would look much better. Weird thing to regret but I like the small details.

Whilst on the subject of horses I don’t really like the mechanics. The front legs are a bit weird. Also it looks like the horse is absolutely charging along but at the same time hardly moving. Another small detail which isn’t really a problem.

Apart from that I’m loving it. Just cruising around doing a few missions here and there. Think I’m going to try and track down whatever armour/weapon sets I can so I can play through the game killing Mongols whilst looking good.

Is everyone playing the ‘samurai’ way? Or are you taking bases with stealth? Personally I like to announce my arrival in the noisiest way possible. Normally just charging in on my trusty brown horse.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Really enjoying this so far. One regret I have is picking the wrong horse. I got the deluxe edition and I think I picked the horse that came with that. It’s brown and I think white or black would look much better. Weird thing to regret but I like the small details.

Whilst on the subject of horses I don’t really like the mechanics. The front legs are a bit weird. Also it looks like the horse is absolutely charging along but at the same time hardly moving. Another small detail which isn’t really a problem.

Apart from that I’m loving it. Just cruising around doing a few missions here and there. Think I’m going to try and track down whatever armour/weapon sets I can so I can play through the game killing Mongols whilst looking good.

Is everyone playing the ‘samurai’ way? Or are you taking bases with stealth? Personally I like to announce my arrival in the noisiest way possible. Normally just charging in on my trusty brown horse.
The game seems at its best for me when testing yourself against the combat so I think going in loud will be my main approach but it’s always fun trying abit of stealth here and there.

el3mel

The generic missions are starting to irritate me a little bit to be totally honest. They definitely copied many of their designs from AC origins in particular. Investigate an area, follow footprints, combat scenario, talk with someone, rinse, repeat. Most side activities are like that which is a negative no doubt about it for me.

Also

They really managed to free Castle Kaneda that easily ? A castle full of mongols fall down in minutes under the attack of 4 guys only ? If Samurais were that strong I don't know they lost their land to Mongols from start then.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think it's a good game, but it hasn't blown me away so far. I think overall ratings around 8/10 seems somewhat spot on. I don't find the story engaging. It is kind of an Assassin's creed samurai game.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The generic missions are starting to irritate me a little bit to be totally honest. They definitely copied many of their designs from AC origins in particular. Investigate an area, follow footprints, combat scenario, talk with someone, rinse, repeat. Most side activities are like that which is a negative no doubt about it for me.
I mean I think this is most games now. Every open world game when you bore down to the details is endless fetch quests, fighting and linear 'missions'.

I think it's due time developers switched up how these kind of games work because the formula is getting very stale. Though I am still really enjoying this.

Gehrman

I mean I think this is most games now. Every open world game when you bore down to the details is endless fetch quests, fighting and linear 'missions'.

I think it's due time developers switched up how these kind of games work because the formula is getting very stale. Though I am still really enjoying this.
Personally I think The Witcher 3(with dlc) did it best. The writing and stories in all the side quests for mostly very good. It rarely ever felt generic.

el3mel

I'm still enjoying it too, as the combat is pretty fun and can be very challenging in some encounters. Yesterday was just the first time I started to get irritated by missions designs. I agree it's a general problem in most open world games now.

el3mel

Personally I think The Witcher 3(with dlc) did it best. The writing and stories in all the side quests for mostly very good. It rarely ever felt generic.
Witcher 3 is second to none in this aspect. Some side missions were as big as the main ones. It's hard to expect every game to be like it tbh, I just wanted more creativity in designing these missions that's all.

Mythic tales seem to be the only unique side missions in Ghost since they mostly give you a map, picture or description and let you search for the place in it in a wide area.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Absolutely, extra content is really boring and can drag a game too much. Too many triple A games are padding them out with filler copied and pasted from every other game. Sometimes a nice linear story is best and games are all the better for it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I would rather see open world games inhabit a smaller but richer world. I think the focus is on the size of the map rather than the depth of what is in the map.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I would rather see open world games inhabit a smaller but richer world. I think the focus is on the size of the map rather than the depth of what is in the map.
Yeah agreed. Too many times I go into a building and what's inside is basically pointless decoration. I grab the obviously highlighted items I can pick up and out I go again. A smaller world with more detail and possibilities within it would be so much better.

Irwin99

Witcher 3 is second to none in this aspect. Some side missions were as big as the main ones. It's hard to expect every game to be like it tbh, I just wanted more creativity in designing these missions that's all.

Mythic tales seem to be the only unique side missions in Ghost since they mostly give you a map, picture or description and let you search for the place in it in a wide area.
I feel like a lot of it's imitators such as AC:O, Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon Zero Dawn (i'm gonna get slaughtered for mentioning that one) copied aspects of Witcher 3 but never really understood why some of those things were so special, e.g the side missions, the very grey morality and the world building. I didn't just like Witcher 3 because it had side missions, I loved it because of what those missions and characters were and the impact they had.

I'm liking this game but there are some things it could improve on. I can't deny it's absolutely gorgeous though and the combat is fun.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I feel like a lot of it's imitators such as AC:O, Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon Zero Dawn (i'm gonna get slaughtered for mentioning that one) copied aspects of Witcher 3 but never really understood why some of those things were so special, e.g the side missions, the very grey morality and the world building. I didn't just like Witcher 3 because it had side missions, I loved it because of what those missions and characters were and the impact they had.

I'm liking this game but there are some things it could improve on. I can't deny it's absolutely gorgeous though and the combat is fun.
Even the most mundane side stuff in The Witcher like the treasure hunts have so much personality. You only find a letter with a tiny bit of story, but it's always engaging.

I quite like the Japanese setting and some of the side styff is fun enough, but my main gripe is that all characters look lifeless. Especially the less important NPC's have very little work put in it seems. They all talk like statues too, no body language.

Last edited:

el3mel

I dislike the shrines more. Here, go do a time consuming, but mind numbingly easy 5 minutes of climbing to get a charm that increases your arrow damage by 0.1%
The hot springs also increase your health by what, a tiny tin points more ?

The gold birds stuff also only give cosmetics.

I'm definitely giving up on these.

Gehrman

I cant really get a grip of cut bamboo phase 3.

Gehrman

Gotta admit after having spent more time with the game it has grown on me. Is possible to get new Katanas?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
When I first started playing I was struggling against 3 mongols and now I turn up to a fort and take out 50 of the cnuts.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
When I first started playing I was struggling against 3 mongols and now I turn up to a fort and take out 50 of the cnuts.
I stumbled across a lighthouse and there were loads of the bastards. Very satisfying when I walk past the bodies of the dead like a boss.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ugh, is this really good then? Games like this make me hate Xbox/Microsoft.
it's good, yeah. Suffers a bit from the usual open world tropes but it's gorgeous, the combat is great and the story is pretty good. 8/10 is probably about right. You'll like it if you liked Spiderman or Horizon (though I think overall they're both better).

Gehrman

it's good, yeah. Suffers a bit from the usual open world tropes but it's gorgeous, the combat is great and the story is pretty good. 8/10 is probably about right. You'll like it if you liked Spiderman or Horizon (though I think overall they're both better).
I simply couldn't get into Horizon Zero Dawn. Have tried multiple times. Maybe the whole robot dinosaurs thing isn't for me. I think Ghost of Tsushima is much better even though it's getting repetive.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I simply couldn't get into Horizon Zero Dawn. Have tried multiple times. Maybe the whole robot dinosaurs thing isn't for me. I think Ghost of Tsushima is much better even though it's getting repetive.
I felt the exact same.

Irwin99

I liked HZD and would give it a solid 8/10 but there was some serious overrating of it's story and characters I felt (just my personal opinion). I can't even remember one side quest involving another character or even their names from that game. Game was gorgeous though and had enjoyable gameplay. So far 8/10 is what I'd give this game for pretty much the same reasons.

el3mel

All of Horizon, Ghost and also Spiderman as we're into it are 8/10 games. They all copy many open world formulas from other games, particularly Ubisoft ones, but they all have very enjoyable combat and gorgeous open world with fun ways to move through it.

Ainu

I liked HZD and would give it a solid 8/10 but there was some serious overrating of it's story and characters I felt (just my personal opinion). I can't even remember one side quest involving another character or even their names from that game. Game was gorgeous though and had enjoyable gameplay. So far 8/10 is what I'd give this game for pretty much the same reasons.
I don't think anyone really rated the characters or side quests, they're nothing special. It's the slowly piecing together the history of its world and uncovering its main mystery which keeps you engaged, I thought that was handled really well. It does take a long time to get going. Aloy could be an interesting character I guess, if she actually showed some development instead of starting out as a flawless character and remaining so throughout the entire game.