Gaming Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

b82REZ

How many Acts are there? I keep getting sidetracked with side quests so I may just progress with the main game and then come back to the side stuff later.

When you Finish the game can you just load up your save and carry on?

The story missions are very much designed to advance the plot and very little else. The missions are rarely challenging and they seem to be shorter than some of the side quests.

I'm in act 3 now and I suspect I'm 1 or 2 main missions away from finishing the game so I'm currently focusing on side stuff.

I believe you can go back after the credits roll to finish things off though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

The story missions are very much designed to advance the plot and very little else. The missions are rarely challenging and they seem to be shorter than some of the side quests.

I'm in act 3 now and I suspect I'm 1 or 2 main missions away from finishing the game so I'm currently focusing on side stuff.

I believe you can go back after the credits roll to finish things off though.
Muchos gracias senor.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I like it but it is a bit samey and it does suffer from the usual OWG tropes we've seen many times before. The combat is good but there's not a lot of variety to enemies. I mean Horizon had the same open world issues but the variety of the machines you fought and the cool tools and bombs you could use on them made the combat really interesting. in this I just feel like everywhere I go is "annihilate these 20+ mongols". It's not the sort of game I can play for more than an hour or two at a time cause I just get a bit bored and log off, though that did happen to me early on in other OWG's too and it wasn't until a good bit in I'd be addicted.

I also think that even though it's a beautiful looking game, again, everything kinda looks the same? I can never tell if I've visited a village or location before because they all feel like mirror images of each other.

I would say 7 or 7.5/10 is fair so far but maybe it gets better. I'm still on Act 1.

izzydiggler

I‘m really enjoying it...fun to play and draw-droppingly beautiful at times. Surprised at a lot of 7/10’s it received, I think it’s much better than that.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I like it more than I thought I would so far, the combat is fun enough and the world is pretty (if very plastic looking, but the framerate holds so I'll allow that).

However it was a big mistake not having target locking, but also not developing a proper camera system. Nintendo invented lock on for a reason, and if you leave it out you really need to make sure the camera is way more intelligent than in this game, it actually ruins the fun way too much. The stealth is so piss easy, I've already given up on it, luckily the fighting is more than fun enough to make up for that. Also, once again, Archers for false difficulty...ffs :lol:

I'm not sure how far I'll get, as these AC type open world games really don't interest me and the side missions are already boring me to tears, but overall I have been pleasantly surprised so I'm continuing on for now.

Redlambs

Oh and why is 7 seen as a low score? If every game is "OMG BESTEST GAME EVA!!!" then none actually are.

Obviously I haven't played anywhere near enough to score it myself yet, but already it has a terrible camera, bog standard archer aimbotting and boring side quests. Not to mention it's not exactly challenging and Jin is dull as feck. I can't see it being a 9 or 10, from the average reviews I've seen I'd say a 7-8 is more than decent for a game like this.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh and why is 7 seen as a low score? If every game is "OMG BESTEST GAME EVA!!!" then none actually are.

Obviously I haven't played anywhere near enough to score it myself yet, but already it has a terrible camera, bog standard archer aimbotting and boring side quests. Not to mention it's not exactly challenging and Jin is dull as feck. I can't see it being a 9 or 10, from the average reviews I've seen I'd say a 7-8 is more than decent for a game like this.
Simply because average games tend to get 7/10. The scoring metric is fecked, but it is what it is

Redlambs

Simply because average games tend to get 7/10. The scoring metric is fecked, but it is what it is
Yeah I agree mate, but my issue is it stays that way when people insist on pushing it as somehow bad themselves.

From what I've seen and played so far, the reviews giving it 7's have been fair and balanced. People shouldn't look at them and instantly think that's wrong, when it's a very decent score especially for an open world game like this.

JohnZSmith27

Just finished it there. Still some fox shrines to do but I probably won't bother.

I'd echo what others said about the camera being a bit woeful sometimes but I really didn't mind the lack of lock-on.

Overall I thought it was great. Beautiful to look at and the music is class. I was crushing it with the standoffs in Act 1 but in the second part of the game, I just couldn't get them right. I'm prob just super slow to react.

They need to sort the stealth mode out for the second game if there is one. For a game called Ghost where you work out of the shadows, thats where the combat was weakest. Didn't spoil the game for me at all seeing as the rest of the combat was great fun.

8 out of 10 from me. Sony really do some cracking exclusives.

b82REZ

Yeah I agree mate, but my issue is it stays that way when people insist on pushing it as somehow bad themselves.

From what I've seen and played so far, the reviews giving it 7's have been fair and balanced. People shouldn't look at them and instantly think that's wrong, when it's a very decent score especially for an open world game like this.
I hate the obsession people have with applying numeric ratings.

In this instance I'd say Ghost is one of the better OPW games this gen and I'd imagine some have scored higher than this hence people taking offence. Other than BoTW I haven't had as much fun exploring a world. Of course it doesn't have the diversity of Zelda but the minimal HUD and the way the island feels like its constantly guiding you has a meditative quality for me.

When I compare this to something like Days Gone which I recently tried to get into, this is head and shoulders above it, and iirc Days Gone received similar scores at release as Ghost.

b82REZ

Oh and I completely agree about the camera. It's absolutely arse and always gets stuck on scenery.

I hope they patch it in with the inevitable NG+.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s 12th highest rated game of all time on metacritic at the minute.

Safe to say it’s universally liked by actual gamers.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Or that it's so middle of the road the "agenda" crowd haven't latched on to it to tank it :lol:
Well then you have missed the agenda crowd calling this game as racist towards Japanese people. Or people calling this as hurtful to Chinese people as it correctly depicts Mongol invasion. So yeah it had its fair share of "controversy". Never underestimate the agenda crowd

Personally it is a solid 8.5 game for me and all the 7 reviews will praise other open world game with similar issue depending on the publisher. Gameplay , Art Direction, Music and Story are great. Not many games get it better than this. Personally it's better than Last of Us 2 which had these perfect scores

Irwin99

9.3 rating is pushing it but it's been a lot of fun (for the most part) and I've just begun Act 3. There are a lot of things that are straining credulity in terms of plot but it's enjoyable.

Story does really get going towards the end of Act 2. If anyone's spirit is flagging with some of the more tedious quests then keep at it. It gets better.

Redlambs

Well then you have missed the agenda crowd calling this game as racist towards Japanese people. Or people calling this as hurtful to Chinese people as it correctly depicts Mongol invasion. So yeah it had its fair share of "controversy". Never underestimate the agenda crowd

Personally it is a solid 8.5 game for me and all the 7 reviews will praise other open world game with similar issue depending on the publisher. Gameplay , Art Direction, Music and Story are great. Not many games get it better than this. Personally it's better than Last of Us 2 which had these perfect scores
Oh come on, it's clearly nothing like the shit the TLOU2 developers have had.

And yeah, the art direction and music are great (though the engine itself cuts many corners in terms of style, but again that's a plus for me as it means a very pretty game with a solid fps), but the story is decent at best and the gameplay...well, there's some major flaws there which I've already fairly pointed out you can address if you wish.

As for your score, what does "all the 7 reviews will praise other open world game with similar issue depending on the publisher" mean to you exactly? Because Sony and 1st party games are very much on that list...

el3mel

I'm definitely having more fun with this than TLOU2, no doubt for me.

TLOU2 was a good game, but the critics reviews are way too overrating it.

el3mel

The moment Jin's horse died was very touchy. I actually felt for it. Reminded me of the exactly similar scene in RDR2.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Oh come on, it's clearly nothing like the shit the TLOU2 developers have had.

And yeah, the art direction and music are great (though the engine itself cuts many corners in terms of style, but again that's a plus for me as it means a very pretty game with a solid fps), but the story is decent at best and the gameplay...well, there's some major flaws there which I've already fairly pointed out you can address if you wish.

As for your score, what does "all the 7 reviews will praise other open world game with similar issue depending on the publisher" mean to you exactly? Because Sony and 1st party games are very much on that list...
I have already addressed camera lock on issue in one of my previous post. Despite that, this has to be one of the best gameplay in last few years. Story is subjective, I quite liked it so I mentioned it but yeah it's not groundbreaking. Despite severe hardware limitations, they have done a great job for graphics.

Do Not mean Sony as publisher. Sucker Punch doesn't have the same pull as Naughty Dog or Rockstar. So it was obvious reviewers won't be as forgiving. But anyway it's just a score at the end of the day. I enjoyed the game and it looks like people are enjoying it as well and sales are going well.

Redlambs

I have already addressed camera lock on issue in one of my previous post. Despite that, this has to be one of the best gameplay in last few years. Story is subjective, I quite liked it so I mentioned it but yeah it's not groundbreaking. Despite severe hardware limitations, they have done a great job for graphics.

Do Not mean Sony as publisher. Sucker Punch doesn't have the same pull as Naughty Dog or Rockstar. So it was obvious reviewers won't be as forgiving. But anyway it's just a score at the end of the day. I enjoyed the game and it looks like people are enjoying it as well and sales are going well.
I'm enjoying it too tbf, I'm such an idiot though I barely use my horse I'm just running around in circles trying to get rid of all the fog of war :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't think this game will end up on my (rather smile) pile of games I've finished. I just started act 2 and it's really becoming a chore. The combat novelty has worn off and the checklist simulator style sidequests are starting to wear me out badly.

I've also bought xenoblade chronicles definitive edition which doesnt bode well for this game.

b82REZ

I don't think this game will end up on my (rather smile) pile of games I've finished. I just started act 2 and it's really becoming a chore. The combat novelty has worn off and the checklist simulator style sidequests are starting to wear me out badly.

I've also bought xenoblade chronicles definitive edition which doesnt bode well for this game.
This is what I don't get. If side quests are becoming tedious just don't do them. OWG fatigue is a thing but if you're choosing to play the aspects you don't enjoy you've only yourself to blame.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is what I don't get. If side quests are becoming tedious just don't do them. OWG fatigue is a thing but if you're choosing to play the aspects you don't enjoy you've only yourself to blame.
I know, but I can't not do them. And yeah, it's a me problem of course Id rather love all games I play. I loved the beginning, but that was also because of the challenge. It's too easy now.

el3mel

I think the side companion and mythic tales are done well. The rest of the side stuff isn't good unfortunately and the reason the game won't get past 8/10.

Bojan11

Finished all the main, side and mythic quests. The 7/10 scores are perfect for it. There’s a lot of things they can improve for a potential sequel.

Not sure why people get pissy when games are scored 7. 9 and 10 scores should be given to near perfect games. This isn’t near perfect, but it’s good.

AaronRedDevil

I seem to be losing nearly every duel lately, those straw hat guys are jammy feckers, don’t give you time to take your finger off the button. Amazing game so far into act 2. A side mission made me fecking emotional. A fecking side mission.

Bojan11

I seem to be losing nearly every duel lately, those straw hat guys are jammy feckers, don’t give you time to take your finger off the button. Amazing game so far into act 2. A side mission made me fecking emotional. A fecking side mission.
Which side mission?

el3mel

Missing 6 more fox dens to unlock the final charm slot. Gonna be a little bit annoying finding them.

Finished all mythic tales though. They are really awesome. Best missions in this game.

Bojan11

Later today, patch 1.05 for Ghost of Tsushima will be released, bringing new combat and text options.

This patch includes the following new updates:

New difficulty level: Lethal

• – Enemy weapons are more deadly, but Jin’s katana is also more deadly
  • – Enemies are more aggressive in combat
  • – Enemies detect you faster
  • – Tighter Parry and Dodge windows

Patch 1.05 will also include the following new options in the accessibility menu:

Lower Intensity Combat

Lower intensity mode is meant to maintain the heart and feel of Ghost of Tsushima combat while relaxing several timing-specific elements. Combat is less intense, giving you more time to react. Stealth settings are more forgiving, and enemies take longer to detect you.

• – Most enemy attacks which are normally unblockable become blockable when Lower Intensity is enabled. Blocking with L1 will keep you safe from more attacks than standard combat, though some attacks must still be dodged.
  • – Enemies break off their attack combos after damaging you, giving you a chance to recover before the next wave of attacks. In addition, your heavy attacks will interrupt attacks from Brutes, giving you another way to stop their combos.
  • – Enemies will not attack you while you’re using Resolve to heal
  • – Enemy awareness builds more slowly, giving you more time to recover after being spotted
Theres a low intensity combat specifically for you @esmufc07

Redlambs

New difficulty is good. But what's most needed (because I doubt they are going to sort the camera or lock on) is at least an fov slider.

The duels especially could be so much better with a decent viewpoint.