Gaming Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can I turn up the difficulty in my curremt save file? Hard started out challenging enough, but it's now mostly, oi, Im here nerds and kill everything.

Irwin99

I'm nearing the end of the game and i'd echo a lot of what's been said that it's a solid 7.5 or 8 with some really good moments and a few problems here and there. I'm hoping to get the platinum as I might as well finish all those damn collectibles now.

el3mel

Finally finished it today. Great experience. Last 2 missions were great.

I still have about 7 or so side quests to do but I might return to them later.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Had an issue with playing the flute in one of the side missions where it wouldnt allow me to do so. Dont have to quit game, just abandon side mission and come back to it.
The one where you sit on the hilltop with the woman I bet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thinking I might have to up the difficulty too. I turn up and wipe out groups without even being hit, and whilst it's fun feeling all powerful I want a bit more challenge.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Thinking I might have to up the difficulty too. I turn up and wipe out groups without even being hit, and whilst it's fun feeling all powerful I want a bit more challenge.
Yeah seems to happen in almost every open world game. Haven't really encountered many that have difficulty scaling done well enough so that it doesn't become piss easy. Horizon did it well but the likes of The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition didn't.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Lethal is quite challening, though mostly because you die very quickly. In regular melee the enemies do too, but in duels you have to slowly chip the opponent to death while he can basically 1-2 hit kill you.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Lethal is quite challening, though mostly because you die very quickly. In regular melee the enemies do too, but in duels you have to slowly chip the opponent to death while he can basically 1-2 hit kill you.
That’s annoying. I find it lazy when devs think a higher difficulty just means changing the health bars. Make it so the health is the same but they’re better at blocking or dodging.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Had an issue with playing the flute in one of the side missions where it wouldnt allow me to do so. Dont have to quit game, just abandon side mission and come back to it.
When I swipe left, I just go into stealth mode. Havn't managed to use the flute yet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The super kick is the best move hands down, but it rarely lets you actually kick people off high cliffs :(
I love holding triangle with the stone stance and just piercing the skull.

b82REZ

Finished it today.

Really enjoyed my time with it and I'll probably go back to at least finish the companion quests.

AaronRedDevil

Just noticed 2 little things in the game. When Jin is riding through high grass he slides to the side of his horse holding out his hand to touch the flowers. And playing the whistle thing changes the weather to be more clear. Finally, got tired of playing with Rain and thunder.

Last edited:

el3mel

One thing worth noting is I think the story was very short? I think if I had only done the main missions, I would have been done with the game in 10 hours. Most main missions are short and there aren't that many of them, and I think they are doable on normal without all the upgrades you get from side companion missions and mythic tales.

b82REZ

One thing worth noting is I think the story was very short? I think if I had only done the main missions, I would have been done with the game in 10 hours. Most main missions are short and there aren't that many of them, and I think they are doable on normal without all the upgrades you get from side companion missions and mythic tales.
I agree. The main story is very short.

I might play this on the new difficulty setting and only do story missions and see how long it takes.

Bosws87

Hammered this for a few days but haven't played in a week or so now, really enjoyed it for the couple of days, but seems super repetitive and generic as all open world games.

I think i'm tired of the genre then the game itself being bad i just can't seem to be bothered to boot it back up again.

AaronRedDevil

Think the side missions from the side characters are the meat of the game. I'm nearly at the end of act 2 and I'm noticing how fast I go through the game if im doing main missions

macheda14

Hammered this for a few days but haven't played in a week or so now, really enjoyed it for the couple of days, but seems super repetitive and generic as all open world games.

I think i'm tired of the genre then the game itself being bad i just can't seem to be bothered to boot it back up again.
All of these sorts of games suffer from this. When you’re in the groove you don’t mind just checking off boxes and getting stuck in the repetitive gameplay loop. But once you take an extended break then you’re done. The last two days I’ve thought about playing it and then just thinking I couldn’t really be arsed. When I finally turned it on again today, I played one mission, investigated some bodies and had to follow some tracks and realised I’m probably done with the game. I might get back to it and just breeze through the main missions in a bit, but I’m not sure.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The combat alone saves this from being a pretty shit game in my opinion. I've spent enough time on it now to realise it should have been a story driven game with great combat rather than an open world game. There's just not enough to do.

Pros
- Combat and feck all else. I admit, this is really good and the only reason I am still playing.

Cons
- Dull as dishwater missions - I mean, eyball wateringly dull and unimaginative. I don't even care about them before I've got there.
- Character weighting and animation. I don't like the transitions between different surfaces on different levels, it's clunky as feck. Yes the game looks nice when you're stood still and the fighting looks cool but traversing the game itself feels clunky and awkward. The climbing, seriously, that's PS1 level of platformery. There should be so much more incedental animations to give the character some weight and presence.

I came straight to this from TLOU2 and this has been a massive comedown which is a shame because it could have been amazing and I love being a ninja / samurai badass!

Irwin99

I let the old guy live, I just thought it seemed more appropriate and I loved the line 'I have no honour' . Anyone choose to kill him?

Finished it and just a trophy away from the platinum. A very good game but has a few predictable flaws that come with the usual big open world games. I think of it as a much better AC:Odyssey but an inferior Witcher (better combat than Witcher 3 obviously but characters, enemy variety and story are levels below). So all in all it's about the same as Horizon Zero Dawn for me. 8/10.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm still playing, so it's not bad. It's a solid 6.5-7 for me, I think those reviews that don't shy from the issues unlike in some games (cough*TLOU2*cough) are more like how they should be for once.

The main problem is for every single plus point, the negatives are there in equal or worse measure. The brilliance of some ideas (obviously heavily influenced by the likes of Witcher and BotW, which is never a bad thing) shine through, but then they make some absolutely baffling design decisions that take a massive step back (no lock on, the GTA 3 level of dumb enemy spawn, typical boring and unbalanced perks, woeful difficulty design).

It's fun and a solid base to build on, but I really wish designers would drop the terrible open world cliches and do something new.

el3mel

I let the old guy live, I just thought it seemed more appropriate and I loved the line 'I have no honour' . Anyone choose to kill him?

Finished it and just a trophy away from the platinum. A very good game but has a few predictable flaws that come with the usual big open world games. I think of it as a much better AC:Odyssey but an inferior Witcher (better combat than Witcher 3 obviously but characters, enemy variety and story are levels below). So all in all it's about the same as Horizon Zero Dawn for me. 8/10.
I let him live to. It made more sense that way for Jin. He abandoned the Samurai code for it being rigid and by the end he's no longer a samurai. He's not going to stick to it now and kill his only family, beside, him telling Shimura "I have no honor, but I won't kill my family", taking the ghost mask, wearing it then leaving pretty much summarizes the development of Jin Sakai throughout the game, and makes for a perfect conclusion. I watched the other ending on YouTube and it wasn't that impactful for me.

el3mel

I'm still playing, so it's not bad. It's a solid 6.5-7 for me, I think those reviews that don't shy from the issues unlike in some games (cough*TLOU2*cough) are more like how they should be for once.

The main problem is for every single plus point, the negatives are there in equal or worse measure. The brilliance of some ideas (obviously heavily influenced by the likes of Witcher and BotW, which is never a bad thing) shine through, but then they make some absolutely baffling design decisions that take a massive step back (no lock on, the GTA 3 level of dumb enemy spawn, typical boring and unbalanced perks, woeful difficulty design).

It's fun and a solid base to build on, but I really wish designers would drop the terrible open world cliches and do something new.
No lock wasn't a problem for me, it made the combat a little tougher and needed you to concentrate more.

Irwin99

I let him live to. It made more sense that way for Jin. He abandoned the Samurai code for it being rigid and by the end he's no longer a samurai. He's not going to stick to it now and kill his only family, beside, him telling Shimura "I have no honor, but I won't kill my family", taking the ghost mask, wearing it then leaving pretty much summarizes the development of Jin Sakai throughout the game, and makes for a perfect conclusion. I watched the other ending on YouTube and it wasn't that impactful for me.
Yeah, I thought that too. Didn't think killing him was all that necessary as Jin was no longer a slave to the traditions of the samurai.

Redlambs

No lock wasn't a problem for me, it made the combat a little tougher and needed you to concentrate more.
No, it's just bad design and that shouldn't force the difficulty. I mean it's fine not having a lock on if you come up with an alternative, like a smarter camera or at least an fov slider, but it hinders the combat and never actually helps it which is a big shame as the combat would be absolutely brilliant if it had less pointless gimmicks and was more refined.. For example, Bloodborne/DS3 are much harder games and they work fine with both lock on and not in terms of combat, but the camera being bog standard it's perfect having the option.

As I said, no game should rely on bad decisions to make the game artificially tougher. There's a reason z-targeting was invented 25-odd years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean about concentrate? Again, a fault doesn't help that. If you want to master a game and it's combat, you should be paying attention anyway! ;)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Haven't played this since last Saturday and I've no current desire to play it at the moment. I was enjoying it but simultaneously finding it a bit 'meh'. The combat was fun to start but it soon began to feel very repetitive as did the side quests and stuff.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Haven't played this since last Saturday and I've no current desire to play it at the moment. I was enjoying it but simultaneously finding it a bit 'meh'. The combat was fun to start but it soon began to feel very repetitive as did the side quests and stuff.
Yeah I'm the same. I try play it for an hour here or there to keep going but it's tough to motivate myself.

The best thing about it are the mythic quests and the rest is a bit Samey and boring.

el3mel

No, it's just bad design and that shouldn't force the difficulty. I mean it's fine not having a lock on if you come up with an alternative, like a smarter camera or at least an fov slider, but it hinders the combat and never actually helps it which is a big shame as the combat would be absolutely brilliant if it had less pointless gimmicks and was more refined.. For example, Bloodborne/DS3 are much harder games and they work fine with both lock on and not in terms of combat, but the camera being bog standard it's perfect having the option.

As I said, no game should rely on bad decisions to make the game artificially tougher. There's a reason z-targeting was invented 25-odd years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean about concentrate? Again, a fault doesn't help that. If you want to master a game and it's combat, you should be paying attention anyway! ;)
It's fine to hate not having it, I saw others complain about it too, but it's just not a problem for me. As for the concentration thing, I meant you'll have to focus yourself on when your strikes are landing and on the other enemies attacking you from the back, rather than focusing on one enemy and have your attacks always a hit. It's a design choice that I agree some won't like and might feel awkward at the beginning but at the end I didn't have any problem with it.

The camera in dark and tight areas was bad though, I'll agree on this.

Redlambs

It's fine to hate not having it, I saw others complain about it too, but it's just not a problem for me. As for the concentration thing, I meant you'll have to focus yourself on when your strikes are landing and on the other enemies attacking you from the back, rather than focusing on one enemy and have your attacks always a hit. It's a design choice that I agree some won't like and might feel awkward at the beginning but at the end I didn't have any problem with it.

The camera in dark and tight areas was bad though, I'll agree on this.
But again, in any other game like this you still have to have that focus on the back.

And once again I'll try to stress that it's not even the lack of a lock on that's the problem, it's that they didn't bother to make the camera work properly to compensate. Why on earth would you make a big deal of taking something out (something that is optional in all other games anyway to boot) but not do any creative thinking on how to tackle it differently? THAT'S the issue, that it's just a typically generic shit camera. I mean, in the duels (which would be brilliant if the camera ever worked), you don't need a lock on but you sure as shit need a better camera. Or as I said, a simple FOV slider (even an automated one) would solve that and lots of the other issues. The game simply never quite flows as it should in battles, for the very simple reason that the character, no matter how skilled you are, will eventually turn around or do something else similar in the middle of battle (as presumably though the targeting matrix is, the camera one isn't always locked to the L stick direction but sometimes tries to swing to it so we get a fair amount on wonkey behaviour).

The fact it makes the game seem harder isn't a decent argument. Loads of games have bad design decisions and bugs that do that, they don't get praised for it :lol:

el3mel

But again, in any other game like this you still have to have that focus on the back.

And once again I'll try to stress that it's not even the lack of a lock on that's the problem, it's that they didn't bother to make the camera work properly to compensate. Why on earth would you make a big deal of taking something out (something that is optional in all other games anyway to boot) but not do any creative thinking on how to tackle it differently? THAT'S the issue, that it's just a typically generic shit camera. I mean, in the duels (which would be brilliant if the camera ever worked), you don't need a lock on but you sure as shit need a better camera. Or as I said, a simple FOV slider (even an automated one) would solve that and lots of the other issues. The game simply never quite flows as it should in battles, for the very simple reason that the character, no matter how skilled you are, will eventually turn around or do something else similar in the middle of battle (as presumably though the targeting matrix is, the camera one isn't always locked to the L stick direction but sometimes tries to swing to it so we get a fair amount on wonkey behaviour).

The fact it makes the game seem harder isn't a decent argument. Loads of games have bad design decisions and bugs that do that, they don't get praised for it :lol:
The camera is definitely that could have been improved on, I won't disagree on this.