Gianluca Rocchi

Nick7

Seriously though what do we think of this new rule this season of playing an advantage and then red carding the player when the game stops? I've seen it at least one other time this season and technically it makes sense I mean why not? Players have been yellow carded in scenarios like that for years but it's been an unwritten rule that a scenario in which it would be a second yellow its ignored

Then there's the second red, obviously joke of a decision all round this one A- it's not a hand ball (well I guess in the new rules it is) but a 2nd yellow for that as well? Knowing he'd just sent off his team mate in the same 'phase' and then there obviously was no yellow for the subsequent hand balls from James and Abraham

Seems Mr Rocchi decided to ignore precedent and write his own story tonight, bravo
The rules state

“Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. ”

Given there was a defender between the Chelsea player and the keeper it wasn’t a clear goal scoring opportunity in my view. Ref just fecked it up big time.

He’ll get the CL or the Euros final as punishment.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Didn't think it was a foul in real time, I think Pulisic drags his foot to initiate contact, but I need to see it from another angle.
Hmm may have to agree to disagree. That second angle in the clip looks nailed on to me; Veltman's knees clearly knock Pulisic's left leg into his right which causes the trip. Think it'd be harsh to accuse Pulisic of leaving his leg in when it seems to me he's trying to hurdle the challenge and that's what makes his left leg clipping his right throw him so off balance.

Suedesi

Hmm may have to agree to disagree. That second angle in the clip looks nailed on to me; Veltman's knees clearly knock Pulisic's left leg into his right which causes the trip. Think it'd be harsh to accuse Pulisic of leaving his leg in when it seems to me he's trying to hurdle the challenge and that's what makes his left leg clipping his right throw him so off balance.
Yeah, you might be right - I think in real time thought was a bad call, but other angles may show I was wrong.

passing-wind

I thought something was off from the highlights on BT YouTube page. How a hand ball was given doesn't make sense because Blind's foul should in theory be the end of the run of play. Referee's this season have been shocking, especially in the league.

Suedesi

Just noticed Tammy Abraham going down like he's shot after Danny Blind's foul, clutching his ankle and rolling around writhing in agony. Then 5 secs later the camera cuts away to the ref going toward Danny and giving him a second yellow and you could see Tammy in the background jumping up as he's if he's been respawn in a RPG game. Cheating bastahd.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
I don't want to break the party here, but that handball was intentional.

If you look at the replays from behind the defender in slow motion you will see how he at first tries to get his hand near his body and then suddenly extends it back outside. He was coming across to block the shot, but because there was a small deflection his body was being bypassed by the new trajectory, so he extended his arm to block the shot. Just check the replays. And by the way, his right arm was glued to the body, not his left one though.

VAR always checks red cards, so they saw that most likely and confirmed the intention. I also thought at first it was for dissent.

LE: Why you just run to the rules without trying to understand them in the first place?

The rules state

“Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. ”
Now if you think about it, why is there a second cautionable offence mentioned? It seems peculiar but is clear if you continue reading the rules and not just copy pasting blindly the part you like / or fits most.

From FIFA rules (after the rule posted earlier):

The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick, unless the player committed a more serious offence.

The second cautionable offence is mentioned in case a player double fouls an opponent in the same sequence of play. If he received a red card (straight or second yellow) he wouldn't have been there to commit another interference, that's why there is no more advantage.

So there was no serious foul play or violent conduct and it was only ONE cautionable offence (not second), so the play goes on.

Last edited:

Attacking Midfielder

Supports
Ajax
The rules state

Given there was a defender between the Chelsea player and the keeper it wasn’t a clear goal scoring opportunity in my view. Ref just fecked it up big time.

He’ll get the CL or the Euros final as punishment.
This is the most important one, people tend to forget this rule but it would have changed everything. Red card for Blind, free-kick for Chelsea, 2-4 Ajax with ten men. Instead of 3-4 and Ajax with 9 men.

I don't want to break the party here, but that handball was intentional.

If you look at the replays from behind the defender in slow motion you will see how he at first tries to get his hand near his body and then suddenly extends it back outside. He was coming across to block the shot, but because there was a small deflection his body was being bypassed by the new trajectory, so he extended his arm to block the shot. Just check the replays. And by the way, his right arm was glued to the body, not his left one though.

VAR always checks red cards, so they saw that most likely and confirmed the intention. I also thought at first it was for dissent.
Your comment is completely irrelevant is you read the rule above.

Based Adnan

This is the most important one, people tend to forget this rule but it would have changed everything. Red card for Blind, free-kick for Chelsea, 2-4 Ajax with ten men. Instead of 3-4 and Ajax with 9 men.
Even then there were several fouls in the build up to Blind's second yellow including on an Ajax player. Just shocking refereeing all round.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I think Ajax fans can say the same thing tbf.
No they cant. Looking back now. Blinds is a second yellow. Veltmans hand went toward the ball and a handball is reason enough for a second yellow.
Even tammys handball no matter how harsh by these rules it was the right decision.
All he got wrong is the injury time.

dev1l

No they cant. Looking back now. Blinds is a second yellow. Veltmans hand went toward the ball and a handball is reason enough for a second yellow.
Even tammys handball no matter how harsh by these rules it was the right decision.
Usually when a referee knew he had a crap game, he tends to blow the final whistle a bit earlier. He knows, the longer it goes the bigger the chance of another cock up :)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Tbf he did beat drago and soviet communism

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Thought the 4th official does the added time ?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax

from this angle, foul or not a foul?

I personally felt it would be a very light call if a foul were given. but seeing it zoomed in on the contact like this, I think it definitely was a foul. I'm now of the opinion that it should have been a free kick to Ajax but with a second yellow still given to Blind for coming in so late on Abraham's ankle

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

from this angle, foul or not a foul?

I personally felt it would be a very light call if a foul were given. but seeing it zoomed in on the contact like this, I think it definitely was a foul. I'm now of the opinion that it should have been a free kick to Ajax but with a second yellow still given to Blind for coming in so late on Abraham's ankle
Blind blocks off and his left arm goes across Mount to knock him over as well so it's about 50/50 either way. Ref is looking right at it as well and immediately signals no foul, which (for that single coming together) the fairest option.

I certainly can't see how this was a bad call, even if was was given in either direction.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He was way too card happy. Straight yellows for first fouls, no warnings. How are players supposed to avoid suspensions when two yellows mean you miss a game, that's two slightly mistimed non malicious tackles if you're being refereed by Rocchi.