Gianni Infantino loses the plot (WC 2002 Edition)

DeGea

Dont always agree with FIFA, but he is right about Europeans’ double standards when it comes to morality.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Dont always agree with FIFA, but he is right about Europeans’ double standards when it comes to morality.
Most of Europe is trying to put things right. FIFA has done bugger all about racism, homophobia etc. They pay lip service but when an incident happens they do next to nothing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sofoot called him Gianni Cash.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Dickinson thinks it’s apt and humorous to edit quotes and leave out important segments (which had pointed to racism, by the way) now? Cool.

Here’s Infantino’s full quote on the matter:

”Of course I am not Qatar,” he continued. I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country. As a child I was bullied – because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian so imagine.
These brusque, ten-a-penny journalists nowadays really rub me up the wrong way with their incessant agendas.

dal

He does have a point, being gay was illegal in England until around 50 years ago, the middle east does look horrific but its probably how england (europe) was around a hundred years ago, they’ll catch up, this is life.

The west found its own way out of being complete savages but a spade needs to be called a spade, you have to deal with the hear and now, banning alcohol from stadiums 2 days before is completely wrong, 6,500 migrant workers dying is wrong however you give these people a 5 percent risk of death to put food on the table they’d probably take it. Probably 10 times this number die for being a lower “caste”, he has a point.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Remember when this guy ran on anti-corruption.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He does have a point, being gay was illegal in England until around 50 years ago, the middle east does look horrific but its probably how england (europe) was around a hundred years ago, they’ll catch up, this is life.

The west found its own way out of being complete savages but a spade needs to be called a spade, you have to deal with the hear and now, banning alcohol from stadiums 2 days before is completely wrong, 6,500 migrant workers dying is wrong however you give these people a 5 percent risk of death to put food on the table they’d probably take it. Probably 10 times this number die for being a lower “caste”, he has a point.
One of these things is very wrong, one of them is a mild inconvenience

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Most of Europe is trying to put things right. FIFA has done bugger all about racism, homophobia etc. They pay lip service but when an incident happens they do next to nothing.
Just like England showed how much progress it made at its own Home Euros by abusing its own players for the colour of their skin for missing a penalty, or caging 4000 immigrants into a space of 1000. If you were to count on one hand the amount of lives the USA and UK have ruined or killed in the past 2 decades alone vs Qatar, it would be a very one sided argument.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just like England showed how much progress it made at its own Home Euros by abusing its own players for the colour of their skin for missing a penalty, or caging 4000 immigrants into a space of 1000. If you were to count on one hand the amount of lives the USA and UK have ruined or killed in the past 2 decades alone vs Qatar, it would be a very one sided argument.
I realised after I posted the comment I was badly wrong.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not sure about wanting countries banned like this. People talk about whataboutism but if you ban a country for human rights violations you have justify the participation of others. I don't think US were banned after invading Iraq waging war on fake grounds. No idea if they qualified but it certainly wasn't an issue because nobody can stand up to them.

At the same time we can't change the past and we know that laws in some of these countries are bad. So FIFA should have made Qatars qualification subject to them being allowed to spread awareness about humans rights rather than just being quite about it.

Herman Toothrot

No, nothing should ever get better. Lessons should never be learned because learning is hypocrisy. A bit ironic that Europeans are like "killing people is bad" when they literally used to be cavemen.

the hea

Saying he's feeling like a migrant worker that has had his passport taken away and makes 1€ an hour when in reality he's getting paid millions from his Qatari lords. :houllier:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I'm not in favour of having video replays to make decisions based on something that can be subjective. Not everything is stonewall. Goal line technology makes sense because it's black and white. It either crossed the line or it didn't.

Reviewing a decision for something like a penalty claim will just lead to more complaints and controversy.

You see it every week as it is. Some people think it was a penalty, some people think it wasn't a penalty, and some people can see why it could be given/not given.

It would just continue with the inconsistency anyway. One week the person reviewing an incident may rule one way, then the next week the exact same play may be viewed the other way by a different reviewer.
Look at Nostrodamus here

Guy Incognito

He is which is why I'm sick of the pontificating and wished the European FAs decided to boycott it in the first place.

cyberman

Didn’t they ban a lot of fans and basically did what they could? A lot of people lost their jobs as well.

Abizzz

Fecking hell they letting a ginger run fifa? No wonder.

Dickinson thinks it’s apt and humorous to edit quotes and leave out important segments (which had pointed to racism, by the way) now? Cool.

Here’s Infantino’s full quote on the matter:

These brusque, ten-a-penny journalists nowadays really rub me up the wrong way with their incessant agendas.
Why does everybody have to prove they've had shared experiences now, like it shows you and me are really the same after all? Having red hair at school isn't quite the same as what these people in Qatar have been through.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Politics and related topics should be entirely separate from football. There will be lots of things countries are doing that other countries or people don't agree with. You can probably find reason to ban every country in the world from international football if you look hard enough...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well the UK has only just voted for Brexit largely driven by a desire to keep foreigners out, so that’s hardly the contrite humility of former colonisers I would say.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Is he just trying to blow the whole thing up before it even starts?

I don't get it, which part of that is focusing on football and not politics?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Well the UK has only just voted for Brexit largely driven by a desire to keep foreigners out, so that’s hardly the contrite humility of former colonisers I would say.
Except there is a difference here. Trying to stop migrants coming to Europe to have a better life has many of its own negatives, especially in the way that they are barred being dangerous and inhumane. But I’m not sure how a policy to control immigration has anything to do with humility of human rights abuses to migrants? However, can’t really compare it to what Qatar is doing. Allowing them in, promise of a better life, taking passports, offering horrific living conditions and working conditions, and all the while reaping the financial and developmental rewards of their hard work. Both might be bad but let’s not assume they’re the same.

GazTheLegend

I'm sure the bribery, corruption and secretive deals made to bring the world cup to Qatar make all this worthwhile, right?

I'm going to be honest I don't care at all what other countries do, it's for their people to fix their civilisations, I'd say Britain should avoid the whole "bringing it's brand of freedom to various corrupt shitholes" thing in 2022 and stealing shit as it goes. . But if you're going to have a system to determine which country should host a world cup, the one that throws the most money at the organisers doesn't seem like an ideal method to me.

And frankly I am amazed that they had less criticism over the world cup in Russia than they did, which was again clearly granted not for football reasons but because, you know, money and corruption.

People seem to be growing more apathetic about corruption and cheating in the 21st century and that can't be good. You're supposed to begin by at least PRETENDING we are playing a fair game (be it football, financial or anything else) and not obviously just lording it over the peasants and doing whatever the feck you want.

Amazing Santos

Melissa Reddy high IQ, one of the few voices who knows what she's talking about in an industry full of morons.

Dorris

Some hilariously bad takes right here.