Gianni Infantino loses the plot (WC 2002 Edition)

Sigma

Using video replays to review decisions at the Club World Cup has produced "extremely positive results", says Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

The system was first used on Wednesday to award a penalty in Kashima Antlers' 3-0 win over Atletico Nacional, with the referee alerted by his assistant.

Marco van Basten, Fifa's chief officer of technical development, said the decision "took a few seconds too much".

But Infantino said "transparency and justice have been brought to the game".

Replays were again used as Real Madrid beat Club America 2-0 in the semi-finals on Thursday.

Referee Enrique Caceres briefly asked for a consultation before allowing Cristiano Ronaldo's late goal to stand.

"In the end it was good and the right decision was made," said former Netherlands striker Van Basten. "Only the communication between the video assistant referee and the referee was not optimum."

Video assistant referees have assisted officials during two international friendlies this year, but the Club World Cup represents their first use in Fifa competition.

Previous usage has been in what Fifa call a "semi-live" scenario, where the referee was not able to review decisions on a pitchside monitor.
What a madman!

AndyJ1985

Er, from those quotes I'm failing to see how he's lost the plot?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Shocking. Really horrendous stuff. Can't believe such a maniac is controlling world football.

Nero

I'm not in favour of having video replays to make decisions based on something that can be subjective. Not everything is stonewall. Goal line technology makes sense because it's black and white. It either crossed the line or it didn't.

Reviewing a decision for something like a penalty claim will just lead to more complaints and controversy.

You see it every week as it is. Some people think it was a penalty, some people think it wasn't a penalty, and some people can see why it could be given/not given.

It would just continue with the inconsistency anyway. One week the person reviewing an incident may rule one way, then the next week the exact same play may be viewed the other way by a different reviewer.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Wonder what the result in the Palace match would have been with video replays.
The ref's performance in that match, and in general this and the last couple seasons, prove it's time to start using it.
Even if we had lost the match that way, it's alot more fair :)

MDFC Manager

Baldy got one hell of a promotion eh? From being a (piss poor) CL draw host to FIFA president..

LouisDanGaal

You know what? I think he might, just might be being sarcastic.
But sarcasm is usually a response to something like if someone had actually said he had lost the plot, then he posted that to deconstruct that point it would make sense it doesn't make sense in this context as nobody has said that.

Sigma

But sarcasm is usually a response to something like if someone had actually said he had lost the plot, then he posted that to deconstruct that point it would make sense it doesn't make sense in this context as nobody has said that.
It's quite obviously sarcasm. Forgetting the 'What a madman!' statement at the end (which has an exclamation mark to emphasise it), the title is based off this thread; (https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sol-bamba-loses-the-plot.424453/)

The reason I'm being sarcastic is because its obviously the right thing to do to introduce video technology and its no surprise it produced 'extremely positive results'.

LouisDanGaal

It's quite obviously sarcasm. Forgetting the 'What a madman!' statement at the end (which has an exclamation mark to emphasise it), the title is based off this thread; (https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sol-bamba-loses-the-plot.424453/)

The reason I'm being sarcastic is because its obviously the right thing to do to introduce video technology and its no surprise it produced 'extremely positive results'.
Without the context of that thread its not obvious, with that context, yes it would be abundantly clear.

Sigma

Without the context of that thread its not obvious, with that context, yes it would be abundantly clear.
You didn't need the context, it should have been clear (and was too many).

Anyway, I guess it is sometimes hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic just by the way they write.

LouisDanGaal

You didn't need the context, it should have been clear (and was too many).

Anyway, I guess it is sometimes hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic just by the way they write.
I don't think either of us cares enough to carry on this debate.

Video replays are a no brainer for me though.

Phil

Increasing the probability of a correct refereeing decision? Jog on, Infantino

izec

He is an idiot anyway. cnut needs to be removed from this position. He is like a poor man's and bald Trump. Get the fecker out please.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Pretty discouraging from Infantino. At this rate, football is going to join other sports as not being stuck in the dark ages anymore. And who the hell wants that?

Next he'll be taking the World Cups away from Russia and Qatar that they rightly earned through a bit of harmless corruption. He is out of control.

Camilo

Personally I love how the referees can get things wrong - it's this huge business, but at the end of the day it comes down to whether twenty-two, 20-something year old men and a referee have a good day. For me, refereeing is a part of the game, not just the officiating of it. But we'll see..

diarm

This chap being president of FIFA is a bit like going back to your old school for a visit and discovering the lunch lady became headmaster.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
Pretty discouraging from Infantino. At this rate, football is going to join other sports as not being stuck in the dark ages anymore. And who the hell wants that?

Next he'll be taking the World Cups away from Russia and Qatar that they rightly earned through a bit of harmless corruption. He is out of control.
You're right, Infantino is a tyrant and must be stopped from pursuing his agenda of modernisation and transparency

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
How did he become president again?
The old guy had to come because of a "misunderstanding" and he was the next person in line that was from Switzerland with no footballing experience so naturally he was voted in.

King_Eric

I love the video refereeing in hockey. It actually adds an element of excitement.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Well that isn't happening.

Turns out almost every host dabbled in such corruption.Don't see how these two are any different.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Previous usage has been in what Fifa call a "semi-live" scenario

I accidentally did one of these on facebook. I somehow unwittingly hit that stupid button while I was watching TV one evening with my phone pointing at my lap.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It will bring correct decisions but I'm against on the grounds that football will become the NFL. Ad breaks will be introduced to games eventually with this sort of thing.