Gianni Infantino loses the plot (WC 2002 Edition)

Trophy Room

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Unity of what? Bigots and dictatorships United?

Who the feck are qatar to talk about unity? Seriously.

And who would want to be United with them in any way after this? Homophobes, zealots and the corrupt is the only possible answer.
Well I hope you redirect some of your arrogance towards identifying and addressing issues of similar ilk in your local area first. Maybe you already have and if so please share your experiences.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Well I hope you redirect some of your arrogance towards identifying and addressing issues of similar ilk in your local area first. Maybe you already have and if so please share your experiences.
I’ve protested MANY of the bullshit moves my government have pulled, yes!

Arrogance? In believing that gays are equal and should be treated equally as a basic human right?

Do you not believe that? Yes or no?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If anyone can remind me the last time a western country bribed their way to securing a major tournament, claimed they were going to do it at a time when the club calendar is typically free and then switched it to when the club calendar is typically fullest, ripped off the travelling fans, and said they didn't have a problem with LGBT fans attending but then twisted FIFA's arm into threatening yellow cards for people wearing a simple rainbow on their arm during a game, that would be great. Cheers.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
To think this all started because a morally and ethically bankrupt organization wants to defend their decision to take a bribe and give another with questionable morals and ethics the WC. Fantastic. Infantino should just stick to being the hood from thunder birds.

lysglimt

Scout
I have no doubt that there has been corruption at many world cups including the last one. However, host countries have always been painted in a generally positive light. The focus has been on football and I think Qatar deserves the same. Every Brit I’ve spoken to that lives in Qatar loves it out there so maybe, just maybe it is far more tolerant than it is perceived to be.
I know a few friends who live there (and a few in UAE) as well - and as you say, they love it. But of course - they are fairly well-educated, white - have got really good jobs. They have not been raped, they are not female and they are not openly gay. I am sure 95% of everyone who lives there are treated really well. But there are 5% more.

Vapor trail

Perhaps the word tolerant is wrong but I have been hearing this interpersonally myself. People who have travelled there saying it's scrutinised more in the media than what the experience is when your there. I think Dubai also had this reputation but now when people have experienced it for themselves many have transition over there for employment opportunities and the tax allocations compared to the UK. This is not a summation of the rights issues present within the country but certainly the media's portrayal in how badly things are perceived.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Perhaps the word tolerant is wrong but I have been hearing this interpersonally myself. People who have travelled there saying it's scrutinised more in the media than what the experience is when your there. I think Dubai also had this reputation but now when people have experienced it for themselves many have transition over there for employment opportunities and the tax allocations compared to the UK. This is not a summation of the rights issues present within the country but certainly the media's portrayal in how badly things are perceived.
Originally posted this in another thread, but I’d highly suggest giving it a watch and also reading the comments from people who’ve had first hand experience…

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I posted that before I’d had chance to see you get annihilated by everyone else.

In hindsight it was like kicking someone when they were already down.

Apologies.
Didn't know we were keeping score. How many points have you scored?

“Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.”

goalscholes

I do think there are double standards, with Qatar receiving far more criticism than Russia, China and Saudi Arabia, which isn't really fair.

The tournament should never have been held in Qatar (for obvious political and infrastructural reasons), but now it is, people shouldn't be hated for doing a job they weren't criticised for doing in the last World Cup.

NotThatSoph

I have no doubt that there has been corruption at many world cups including the last one. However, host countries have always been painted in a generally positive light. The focus has been on football and I think Qatar deserves the same. Every Brit I’ve spoken to that lives in Qatar loves it out there so maybe, just maybe it is far more tolerant than it is perceived to be.
https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/10/24/qatar-security-forces-arrest-abuse-lgbt-people

A transgender Qatari woman said that after security forces arrested her on the street in Doha, Preventive Security officers accused her of “imitating women” because of her gender expression. In the police car, they beat her until her lips and nose were bleeding and kicked her in the stomach, she said. “You gays are immoral, so we will be the same to you,” she said one officer told her.
A transgender Qatari woman said that after security forces arrested her on the street in Doha, Preventive Security officers accused her of “imitating women” because of her gender expression. In the police car, they beat her until her lips and nose were bleeding and kicked her in the stomach, she said. “You gays are immoral, so we will be the same to you,” she said one officer told her.
A Qatari transgender woman, arrested by Preventive Security in public in Doha, said: “They [Preventive Security] are a mafia. They detained me twice, once for two months in a solitary cell underground, and once for six weeks. They beat me every day and shaved my hair. They also made me take off my shirt and took a picture of my breasts. I suffered from depression because of my detention. I still have nightmares to this day, and I’m terrified of being in public.”
I'm sure the people you spoke to did love it, but maybe it's not about them. Do you think these women loved it?

Pronewbie

Peep
I do think there are double standards, with Qatar receiving far more criticism than Russia, China and Saudi Arabia, which isn't really fair.

The tournament should never have been held in Qatar (for obvious political and infrastructural reasons), but now it is, people shouldn't be hated for doing a job they weren't criticised for doing in the last World Cup.
Those countries have also been smeared, vilified and demonised unlike England, France and so on because of the monopoly anglo-saxon/western media has. The fact you think this way shows how normalised it is in western societies, if only to build public consensus for wars and conflict. I've read comments suggesting that imperialism and colonialism is a thing of the past, or overblown, which is a shocking take to say the least.

Qatar deserve many of the criticisms they've received but the programming and narrative especially in the British media is truly nauseating. This whole thing is mostly political. No one or country is perfect, so there will always be something to magnify and demonise, just like how it is in real life. I think the West (especially Europe) is struggling to come to terms that their moral and political lectures are not gaining much traction these days.

If we breakdown the criticisms:
1. Corruption - It takes 2 hands to clap. The corruption is between Qataris and many Europeans in the West (not just FIFA). I'd be more concerned about the Western culture of allowing corruption to be commonplace, where liberal democracy is really just a facade for oligarchs and private donors to hijack the common people's interests.
2. Safety and treatment of low-skilled foreign workers - There was worldwide condemnation for this and I see that Qatar have begun to make improvements to this in terms of SOPs, laws and cultural mindsets. Europe taking the high-ground on this issue though, while continuously passing the buck and causing millions to flee their land due to wars, political interference, malevolent NGOs and looting of natural resources such as oil, gold and so on, is very hypocritical to say the least.
3. LGBT rights - Even in Western countries this is a hotly debated issue, where dissenters face the wrath of cancel culture and soft censorship. Leaders of many Asian countries would lose public support if they go along with this very divisive agenda, even if some are empathetic to the 1%. They also have no interest in tearing their society apart over a foreign, political agenda.

Pronewbie

Peep
https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/10/24/qatar-security-forces-arrest-abuse-lgbt-people

I'm sure the people you spoke to did love it, but maybe it's not about them. Do you think these women loved it?
The likes of HRW and NED are horrible NGOs used to destabilise the world for America's tyrannical interests. They've been caught out multiple times. Some true, some manufactured, some outright fake reports, but mostly driven by hegemonic intentions, be it to privatise (loot) natural resources or keep leaders who do not follow the American agenda in check.
https://thegrayzone.com/2019/11/20/human-rights-watch-bolivia-coup-massacre/

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Qatar attracted negative attention toward itself by choosing to host a World Cup.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
3. LGBT rights - Even in Western countries this is a hotly debated issue, where dissenters face the wrath of cancel culture and soft censorship.
Pretty amusing to post about "dissenters facing the wrath of cancel culture and soft censorship" 3 days after a gunman shot up a gay bar in Colorado.

Giggsyking

In Basra Iraq now for the opening ceremony of the gulf cup.
I was really hoping Zidane Iqbal was released by the club for the tournament, he is not playing anyway.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
At this point, I think old ginger boll*cks needs praising for the blatant trolling!

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I'm convinced it's a self selecting pool of narcissist sociopaths that end up in these positions. Any of the thousands of normal people I know from all over the world would never make comments like this but CEOs and the like always come out with this absolute nonsense

Lee565

Just waiting for him to compare some type of struggle of his to the Jews during world war 2

Varun1

Infantino has delivered his opening remarks at the FIFA Congress in Rwanda where he will be re-elected to a new term. He described how he came here when he first campaigned in 2016 and almost gave up, likening his refusal to give up to how Rwanda recovered after its genocide
I have to say ... What a fecking twat!
Comparing a FIFA election to the murder of thousands of people.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So inspiring. I'm sure he's taking inspiration from Rwanda's ongoing sponsoring of pillage/plunder activity of it's neighbor next door.

I have to say ... What a fecking twat!
Comparing a FIFA election to the murder of thousands of people.
Hundreds of thousands, mind