Giggs appointed new Wales manager

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I like the youthfulness of his sides. For instance, against ROI, only 3 outfielders were over the age of 25. Positive looking future for sure. If he ever proves himself and ends up with the United job, it will be nice to see some youngsters progress under him. I’m certainly still of the opinion he is nowhere near ready for the job, but would love to see him achieve that level in the near future.
Throwing kids without success is something any manager can do, easy.

Throwing kids and winning the league is another thing

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Failure if they don't qualify for the euros.

You still have Bale and Ramsey at their peaks and I really like some of the youth they have coming through, Ethan Ampadu, David Brooks and Harry Wilson are some of the best British talents around atm. Daniel James seems to be doing well at Swansea (nearly moved to Leeds in the window) so plenty of attacking strength.

Think main issue is at the back as Ashley Williams is way past his best and there dosen't seem as much talent coming through in that area.

Still they're in a much easier group than WC.

dbs235

Bale and Ramsey are far from their peaks. Come on.

Bale especially.

Agreed with first sentence.
Bale always turns it on for Wales though. This game against Slovakia is probably the most important game of the group. Could essentially be a decider despite being the first game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bale and Ramsey are far from their peaks. Come on.

Bale especially.

Agreed with first sentence.
Ramsey been pretty good for Arsenal this year. Think he'll do well for Juventus and should also improve tactically which is something he lacks at Arsenal. Bale is Bale. Wales give him the ball 25 yards out and often he produces.

Edit: Had a quick look at Slovakia squad. Only named two strikers which suggests that's a weak area. Have to see if Hamsik's level has dropped since his China move.

Scotland beat them at Hampden not so long ago so this should be a game Wales target for 3 points and that will set them up nicely.

Thisistheone

Good start to the qualifiers. Important win over a side that will surely be a rival for 1st or 2nd spot.

Plenty of positives.
Average age of the team yesterday was 23. Playing with plenty of freedom and pace. Dan James looked electric. Brooks and Wilson very lively. Ramsey to come back into the side as well.

Negatives:
Defence. Conceded a few chances and Bale didn't look his usual self in a Welsh shirt.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought he made some brave calls. Would've been easy given it was first competitive game just to throw back in Gunter and Ashley Williams given they have 150 caps between them. Stuck with a very young back 4 and they got a clean sheet just about.

Think Wales will be very comfortable in that group, Croatia don't look anything like they did in WC so far.

Always said it was a good job to take for him. Rather than go into a club and probably fail, he's in charge of NT who can be reasonably confident of making euros and he's got some brilliant young players to work with. David Brooks, James was brilliant yesterday and Ampadu is something I also rate highly, needs to stay fit and go out on loan next season. Wales still lack decent CF but you can obviously just stick Bale up there and he'll cause damage.

He can probably get a prem job if they go to euros and make knock outs again.

dbs235

Thought he made some brave calls. Would've been easy given it was first competitive game just to throw back in Gunter and Ashley Williams given they have 150 caps between them. Stuck with a very young back 4 and they got a clean sheet just about.

Think Wales will be very comfortable in that group, Croatia don't look anything like they did in WC so far.

Always said it was a good job to take for him. Rather than go into a club and probably fail, he's in charge of NT who can be reasonably confident of making euros and he's got some brilliant young players to work with. David Brooks, James was brilliant yesterday and Ampadu is something I also rate highly, needs to stay fit and go out on loan next season. Wales still lack decent CF but you can obviously just stick Bale up there and he'll cause damage.

He can probably get a prem job if they go to euros and make knock outs again.
I do think Wales will qualify but I'm not sure that Croatia losing is necessarily a good thing for Wales. I think Croatia will still win the group so really Wales could do with Croatia taking all the points off everyone else.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I do think Wales will qualify but I'm not sure that Croatia losing is necessarily a good thing for Wales. I think Croatia will still win the group so really Wales could do with Croatia taking all the points off everyone else.
Is it only the top team qualifies? If so it’s great news for wales as it means we can draw one of our games against Croatia instead of needing to beat them. Assuming we win our other matches.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Top two qualify.
Ah ok, I was unsure as the League of Nations also has teams qualifying through it I thought it may affect these groups.

I think if Croatia had dropped points to Slovakia and not Hungary it would have been more dangerous for wales. As it is, hopefully that was a one off from
Hungary and it’s just taken a few points off the group favourite.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Ah ok, I was unsure as the League of Nations also has teams qualifying through it I thought it may affect these groups.
10 groups x 2 qualifiers = 20 teams

And then the remaining...35 I believe...teams with another chance, Nations League to fill up remaining four places.

Nice to have at least some backup in case of unsuccessful qualifying campaign. Not that Giggsy will be unsuccessful, of course. :cool:

Penycwm

Supports
Newport County
Throwing kids without success is something any manager can do, easy.

Throwing kids and winning the league is another thing
You cant win the league as an international manager

Hughie77

He's doing ok, the trouble he's got is, not a big pot of players to pick from, he's giving youth a chance because he has to there's nothing else better.
At the back could do with some centre backs coming through, Brooks, James Woodburn look very good prospects. Daniel James pace is frightening ripped Man city to shreds in FA cup, but He's Raw .

Penycwm

Supports
Newport County
He's doing ok, the trouble he's got is, not a big pot of players to pick from, he's giving youth a chance because he has to there's nothing else better.
At the back could do with some centre backs coming through, Brooks, James Woodburn look very good prospects. Daniel James pace is frightening ripped Man city to shreds in FA cup, but He's Raw .
Its always going to be difficult with a population the size of Birmingham, as you said some very talented players at present, I like James Lawrence who's playing at Anderlecht, I can see him in the Prem soon, there is also a yound lad named WILL VAULKS keep an eye out for him too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wales arguably have a better pool now to pick from than they did under Coleman.

Senior core remain although many are getting phased out and imo they have some of best young British talents in football e.g. Ampadu, Daniel James, Brooks etc.

Chairman Steve

He is not doing great at all. He’s picked up bad habits from LVG with his slow as feck possession playstyle.

Alabaster Codify7

I dunno, I thought we were pretty good on the eye for the most part last night and we attacked a lot.....but the fact it was 2-1 and Azerbaijan could have come away with a point, is worrying. We stand absolutely no chance of qualifying and in terms of managerial talent, Giggs has no chance of managing United. But stranger things have happened.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We looked amazing against Ireland when he first took over, passed them off the park. It’s gone back a mile since then, was a hard watch last night

dbs235

We looked amazing against Ireland when he first took over, passed them off the park. It’s gone back a mile since then, was a hard watch last night
Ireland's midfield that game - O'Dowda, Hendrick, Hourihane and Cyrus Christie. Ramsey could play by himself in midfield against that and come out on top.

Robbie Boy

Not saying much tbh. That was Ireland at their lowest ebb in years and the midfield was laughable.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ireland's midfield that game - O'Dowda, Hendrick, Hourihane and Cyrus Christie. Ramsey could play by himself in midfield against that and come out on top.
Not saying much tbh. That was Ireland at their lowest ebb in years and the midfield was laughable.
Yeah I get that, but wales still had to play and know what to do with the ball.
It was ‘only’ Azerbaijan last night but it looked like we had no clue.

Robbie Boy

Yeah I get that, but wales still had to play and know what to do with the ball.
It was ‘only’ Azerbaijan last night but it looked like we had no clue.
Aye, I didn’t see the game last night but tbf, as awful as we were that night, I was impressed with just how good Wales were. Ampadu was brilliant. No idea how he’s played since.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If he wins the last two they'll qualify automatically.