Giggs appointed new Wales manager

SER19

Best of luck to a club legend. Hope he does well then progresses to a club where he does even better.

siw2007

Good for him. It might not be club management but he has to start somewhere and at least it gets him off tv punditry and actually doing some managing.

mynamejeff

best of luck to him. not too much weighing on him there in terms of performance but still a solid job to get his feet wet

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He wanted a Premier League club but a Premier League club didn't want him and I think he rates himself too highly for the Championship.
I thought that was the case, surely startling at a lower level would benefit him in the long run. His contacts could allow the potential for better loans and transfers. At national level his tactical ability is much more on show.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well, John Hartson's gonna be well pissed about that! Giggsy should have gone the lower league route imo.

JMack1234

Really happy for him.

If i'm brutally honest i've not seen anything to really convince me that he'll cut it as a manager BUT i'm dying to be proved wrong and this is the perfect job for him. All he's got to do is get them into the next euros and when you consider that half of Europe qualifies for it now that shouldn't be too difficult espeically as Wales have a genuinely world class player in Bale and then a few other good talents. So hopefully he'll be fine.

Redman24

Will lift wales and get them qualified for EURO 2020 or he will have his way with their WAGS, a win win for Giggsy.

diplomat

Good luck to Giggs! However, I feel like a job at an international team is not what he needed to upstart his career.

Hope it doesn't end all badly for him and the gained experience helps our legendary winger in his pursue of future managerial places.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Good luck to him; this is basically how Sparky got his foot in the door and it ultimately worked out well for him.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
It's a good job to get for his first job

Less pressure than at club football and nothing much is expected from him to deliver success so he has a lot of time to make it work

Chipper

Adulterer.
He wanted a Premier League club but a Premier League club didn't want him and I think he rates himself too highly for the Championship.
The thing with that is the man he's just replaced was highly successful and ended up at a Championship club!

Ok, nobody forced Coleman to go to Sunderland and he probably could have got a job at the lower end of the Premier League. Giggs might well have to match him results-wise, or come close to it to have the same chance himself or Championship level may end up being as high as he can shoot for afterwards. People are inevitably going to compare the two of them.

Last edited:

stu_1992

Good luck to him. Hope he does well. A good first gig for him I think. Shame it ends my favorite "give it Giggsy..." jokes though.

Gazza

Giggsy will have reached out to Fergie for his advice but I'd be amazed if Fergie thought this is a good idea; he's on record as having said international jobs are best left to managers with experience and who are 50 or older (this came up around the time Glenn Hoddle was appointed England manager).

Heinzesight

Nice one. He has to start somewhere and this breaks him in gently (oo’er).

Looking forward to seeing how he does and hopefully sets him up for a long and successful careeer as a manager.

Precaution

Didn't Hughes start out with Wales too? he was pretty up and coming when he made them pretty successful, pretty poor choices afterwards mind but hopefully Giggs can learn from that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Great to see him go into management (finally). Starting off the same way Sparky did - let's see if it can propel him into club management in the same way.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Gary Speed only had 4 months of experience at Sheffield United before getting the Wales job - and what a magnificent job he did.

Do us proud Giggsy. I'm excited to see how he'll do with us. Pretty sweet seeing him work with Bale.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just saw this on BBC. Comment section was brutal.

redshaw

Best of luck Giggsy. Hope you do well.

Going to be interesting if can implement a style of play and tactics that can become his signature in his managerial career.

Just saw this on BBC. Comment section was brutal.
Wow, you're not wrong.

Could be tougher than I thought unless it's a swarm of Welsh Liverpool fans. Things could get nasty for Giggsy if not and this is the microscope he's under.

Last edited:

Green_Red

It will be interesting to see what brand of football he attempts to play first and foremost. I think that will give some football clubs a good indication of his footballing philosophy, which none of us has really had a chance to see. If its the brand I expect Wales should do well under him. They have the type of players needed to implement what I think he'll try to do.