Giggs appointed new Wales manager

deafepl

I have no idea what Ryan Gigg's philosophy is, can anybody fill me with this?

Mr Smith

Amazing that here is where I found out about this news. There's a lot going on in the footballing world at the moment.

Hope he does well.

deafepl

It will be interesting to see what brand of football he attempts to play first and foremost. I think that will give some football clubs a good indication of his footballing philosophy, which none of us has really had a chance to see. If its the brand I expect Wales should do well under him. They have the type of players needed to implement what I think he'll try to do.
Hope at least his philosophy is to play attractive football instead of parking the bus.

Devil may care

I didn't notice this with all the Sanchez stuff, interested to see how Giggs does as Coleman has set the bar high and he'll need to hope Bale gets revitalized.

DdeGoat

Wish him all the success in the job.

Giggs one day leading us to glory is too romantic an idea to dismiss.

Mick1

During his playing days Giggs had a tendency to miss friendlies but he would always turn up for an official game. Allegedly that didn't go down too well with Welsh supporters.
Thank you, in that case pretty creative joke

Eadesface1990

Good luck to him. Would rather have seen him manage and club level on a weekly basis but will be interesting nevertheless to see how he handles management at a high level.

UpWithRivers

Should gave waited for the Celtic post to be vacant. Or a stable prem team. Leicester, Watford, or hammers. Someone like that. Too much expectation since he is a wales legend and he has to follow an overachieving manager in Coleman. And wales let's face it are pants. Only way is down.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not sure why there is lots of negativity. Pleased for him, good job for him I think.. less stressful than a daily job and it's high status which is what he wanted. Hope he does well.

Norris

Hope he does well. But it is a very difficult job especially as your first one. Being an International Coach needs a different approach. Hope his right hand men are solid enough atleast.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I was hoping to see him have a crack at managing a club instead of a national team.

red4ever 79

Hughes's first job in management was Wales, so not surprised to see this.

Expectations are low, so if he can get them playing competently, then it should stand him in good stead for his future management career.
Dont agree your statement at all. Expectations have never been higher for Wales. Sick of people treating us like some kind of trainee scheme. Giggs can f*ck right off

red4ever 79

Dont know what is so funny. We have a cracking group of young players. Football is more popular right now in Wales than it has been in many years coming off the back of our performance in the last Euro's. Finally there is a chance to build on something and we give it to a guy who pretends he gives a damn about Wales now when it suits him.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Dont know what is so funny. We have a cracking group of young players. Football is more popular right now in Wales than it has been in many years coming off the back of our performance in the last Euro's. Finally there is a chance to build on something and we give it to a guy who pretends he gives a damn about Wales now when it suits him.
The man's a fecking Wales legend, ffs!

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
The man's a fecking Wales legend, ffs!
He's really not. It always came across like he thought that playing for Wales was beneath him.

If we had to go the route of ex player with no experience I'd have given it to Bellamy purely cos he always cared about playing for us.

That said I'll support Giggs and hope he does well with us, doesn't change my opinion that he shouldn't have been given the job though.

mikey_d

As a welsh fan who has barely missed a home game for the last almost 20 years just wanted to add my thoughts.

First of all I think he’s probably the best option for us at the moment and I know the majority of other welsh fans won’t agree. (Only 17% on the welsh forum wanted him).

After a disappointing last campaign and with a number of talented youngsters coming through I don’t think expectation for qualifying has ever been higher in my time watching them.

It’s boiled down to three managers with no experience of managing Giggs, Bellamy or Osian Roberts. Osian is so valuable to welsh football, if it wasn’t for the fact we have finally started getting the fans back and the expectation I would have given it to him. However I think we need a big name at this moment to keep the momentum going and for me that’s Giggs.

In terms of how Giggs will fair is difficult to say however we don’t know that about the other candidates as they have no experience either.

Giggs has to keep Osian as assistant though.

mikey_d

Who said the manager must be Welsh? I dont feel that way.
I agree didn’t need to be welsh. Although I think the faw thought they needed to be,because as much as we have some good players National pride and graft was the reason we qualified previously.

I think there is enough pride and fight around now though that that doesn’t need to come from the manager anymore and we could have considered someone foreign( outside of uk)