Giggs as the Manager

NoLogo

Don't think we are judging him but it's clear now that he isn't a wonder worker who could turn our team instantly back into a top team. He will need to earn his spores just like any other manager before he will be ready for the job here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed. I support LVG appointment, but who to decide a 'wonder worker' or not in just two games (where the first game showed us having good game)??

I don't think even Klopp or anyone in Giggs shoes right now could do much better job, taking a team after disastrous season and training; and expect us to play like Bayern of last season. Much less Giggs with no management experience and only started in charge just a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

Red_toad

So we are going to judge a manager after 2 games nowadays eh?
To be honest he's simply in the post to see out the season. I simply don't see United ever giving the job to a Manager with zero experience on a full time basis. He'll most likely have to go down the Ole route & see how he turns out. I don't think anyone is judging him, as he's not been in the post long enough.
By stating what United need at this point in time isn't writing Giggs off as a Manager. I believe we need a new broom to sweep out the shite we've accumulated over the past few years in our first team squad. I see Van Gaal as an ideal candidate for that & to bring some quality players & play to the team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
To be honest he's simply in the post to see out the season. I simply don't see United ever giving the job to a Manager with zero experience on a full time basis. He'll most likely have to go down the Ole route & see how he turns out. I don't think anyone is judging him, as he's not been in the post long enough.
By stating what United need at this point in time isn't writing Giggs off as a Manager. I believe we need a new broom to sweep out the shite we've accumulated over the past few years in our first team squad. I see Van Gaal as an ideal candidate for that & to bring some quality players & play to the team.
Rarely champions need a massive overhaul. Experience players are still needed in any big or small teams to go somewhere. It's how good the manager to be able to use them, is the major factor. Look at Young, 2 time Premier league team of the year; and so is Fellaini. They used to play on teams not so different in style with us. Even though they aren't world beater, but should be good enough against 'minnows', if they are used properly (as they had shown they were capable before).

It's not like we are gonna play Barcelona or Bayern every week.

Red_toad

Rarely champions need a massive overhaul. Experience players are still needed in any big or small teams to go somewhere. It's how good the manager to be able to use them, is the major factor. Look at Young, 2 time Premier league team of the year; and so is Fellaini. They used to play on teams not so different in style with us. Even though they aren't world beater, but should be good enough against 'minnows', if they are used properly (as they had shown they were capable before).

It's not like we are gonna play Barcelona or Bayern every week.
Thing is we're no longer champions we've now replaced Everton in the table! What did they go to surpass us? They brought in several new players & changed their style of play.

And we're losing our Captain & quite a few of the more experienced campaigners are on their way out of slightly past their prime. The team needs a leader & a few players in key areas, in addition to getting rid of a few players who will simply not fit into the systems & formations the new boss will want to use. Any new Manager will have a style of play that they want to use & want to bring in players to realise that. We'll still have players who've won multiple awards & trophies. It's pretty obvious we won't be playing Barca nor Real apart from in friendlies any time soon ;)

Green_Red

The feel good factor of bringing Giggs in as manager was only gonna last the first game and today it ended. For starters the crowd just weren't up for it like they were last week and I was one of them. I hope everyone who said Giggs should be our full time manager next season has changed their mind, simply because he'd have to tinker with the squad and tactics finding the best fit next season too, even then they might not work. It's a huge gamble on our part as for the next few years we need stability, after last summer and poor results accumulating over the season we just need to become solid again.
I just watched the post match conference http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/videos.html and I have to agree with you. I romanticised the idea of Giggsy taking over but we need a manager who knows what he's doing and who wont be afraid to upset a few people.

Legend16

Love Ryan Giggs. Amazing player for us and a joy to have watched his whole career. His presser on friday said it all. he's deciding whether to play/coach at united or manager 'somewhere else'. and thats good. we cannot hand over the club to the man at this stage of his career. also his comments about the likes of Rio being convinced to stay and given new contracts cos he's been an amazing servant to United is exactly why we need a clear out. Players cannot expect to remain on because of the service they've given previously. Their performances have to earn them the right to stay. And this attitude of past achievements meriting some sort of golden handshake contract is a cancer in our club right now. New man, new ideas and new playing staff. I cannot wait for Van Gaals revolution

JaapStam1986

Giggs needs to leave United and start off with a smaller team and get his managerial experience that way. The romantics won't agree with that but, in the long run, it wouldn't be good for Giggs or United if he was given the United manager job now. If he goes away, shows he can be a top manager and win trophies with other clubs, United can look at Giggs in a few years. Until then, LVG will bring experience, winning mentally, proven track record and, of course, balls.

Sad Chris

What's the big deal? I'm happy Giggs has taken over for the last 4. I couldn't imagine a better caretaker from the inside. I don't mind him playing everybody either. It gives players to be sold a chance to present themselves to other clubs. It gives players playing at the WorldCup a chance to kick a ball before they head of to Brazil. And it gives players like Vidic a goodbye that he has more than deserved.
Having no expectations for the rest of this season, I'm happy that Giggs managed to excite me again. Yes, we lost. Yes, it sucks. Yes, we need a new experienced manager.

But we also need to find a good balance between keeping good people at the club like the whole class of 92 and at the same time bringing in somebody from the outside that will help us build a new, modern system. I'm finding it hard to let go, because we've had so much success in the past. To want to change our style of play feels like I'm giving up something valuable. It was so good for so long. Yet I understand that our approach is outdated and we need to adapt before we get left behind.

I think we need somebody like LVG now, somebody who is willing to rip our hearts and spine out without blinking, to make sure we get on the right track again. I'm sure the door will be open for Giggs sometime in the future depending on his development. And if he does get a chance to manage us in the future, then I will expect more and better.

Sir A1ex

Giggs needs to leave United and start off with a smaller team and get his managerial experience that way. The romantics won't agree with that but, in the long run, it wouldn't be good for Giggs or United if he was given the United manager job now. If he goes away, shows he can be a top manager and win trophies with other clubs, United can look at Giggs in a few years. Until then, LVG will bring experience, winning mentally, proven track record and, of course, balls.
When does that ever work for anyone though? The only high profile players who get a chance to manage at the top level are those who start off there... Pep, Dalglish, Klinsmann, Blanc spring to mind.

The ones who go away to a crap club face an impossible task to prove themselves.

Mister_Stubbs

When does that ever work for anyone though? The only high profile players who get a chance to manage at the top level are those who start off there... Pep, Dalglish, Klinsmann, Blanc spring to mind.

The ones who go away to a crap club face an impossible task to prove themselves.
So we should just give Giggsy the job out of sentiment? Because he might find it hard elsewhere?

Truth of the matter is there will be plenty of jobs available in the summer. What's to say Ryan can't go away to a Southampton? even a Norwich/Fulham and give them a few wonderful seasons? At the end of the day, we are Manchester United.. it should be a long, hard road to our manager hot seat.

Plugsy

If the person after van Gaal deemed to be the best person to manage Manchester United is Ryan Giggs then great. If not, so what?

Why is everyone so clinging onto this belief that this is a 'must happen' scenario when only two weeks ago it had barely entered anyone's head to think about. To give him the job now or at any time in the future because 'he's Ryan Giggs' would be ridiculous.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't think we are judging him but it's clear now that he isn't a wonder worker who could turn our team instantly back into a top team. He will need to earn his spores just like any other manager before he will be ready for the job here.
He looked like a rabbit in headlights after the defeat in Saturday and when he said we put in some great crosses in his post match press conference, I gave up. I worried about the Sunderland game, as they are playing well and he didn't know how to change it. O'Shea and Brown may have guaranteed he doesn't get the job.

JaapStam1986

So we should just give Giggsy the job out of sentiment? Because he might find it hard elsewhere?

Truth of the matter is there will be plenty of jobs available in the summer. What's to say Ryan can't go away to a Southampton? even a Norwich/Fulham and give them a few wonderful seasons? At the end of the day, we are Manchester United.. it should be a long, hard road to our manager hot seat.
Agree with this totally. The United managers job is a monumental task that needs experience, a strong mentality and the personality to deal with the egos in the dressing room. LVG ticks all the boxes there so it would be silly not going with him and placing Giggs in charge just because he has played a gazzilion games for us!

Litch

So we sack a manager who has lots of prem experience but it felt like the job was too big for him. Are we suggesting that we give the job to Giggs who has no prem experience and has equally won nothing (as a manager-its different)?

This isnt Roy of the Rovers. Head over hearts please...

Sir A1ex

No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that those who see him going and "proving himself" at a smaller club before returning in triumph are deluded.

If he goes to manage a smaller club, then file under Keane, Ole, Robson, Bruce, Strachan, Hughes...

Mister_Stubbs

No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that those who see him going and "proving himself" at a smaller club before returning in triumph are deluded.

If he goes to manage a smaller club, then file under Keane, Ole, Robson, Bruce, Strachan, Hughes...
Fine, let it be that way.. I'd rather him fail at a smaller club and prove himself to be an okay manager than fail with us and put us in an even worse position we are in now.

DomesticTadpole

Anyway, you retired. Go and watch your racing.:p

DomesticTadpole

Fine, let it be that way.. I'd rather him fail at a smaller club and prove himself to be an okay manager than fail with us and put us in an even worse position we are in now.
He would not necessarily have to win something, if he could get a team playing good football and prove himself a good coach. We cannot let the board use this club as a training ground for young managers. It could end up a disaster.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So we are going to judge a manager after 2 games nowadays eh?
He's completely out of his depth and understandably so too.

Sorting this shite out is going to be a hard task for a veteran like LVG let alone a rookie like Giggs.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I think he could use time away from United if he is to be a long-term manager for us. Being so close to the dressing room will certainly affect his judgement and selection. We need someone who'll come in and put out the garbage (Young, Anderson, etc) without regard for sentiment.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Louis van Gaal to offer Ryan Giggs senior Manchester United coaching role
• Doubts over Patrick Kluivert means Welshman could be No2
• Interim manager set to select himself for squad against Hull

Jamie Jackson

Louis van Gaal is set to offer Ryan Giggs a senior position on his coaching staff when the Dutchman becomes the new permanentManchester United manager.

With there being doubt over whether Patrick Kluivert, one of Van Gaal's assistants as Holland manager, joins the 62-year-old at Old Trafford when he becomes David Moyes's successor, Giggs will have the opportunity to be, in effect, the No2 on the club's new management team. Although Kluivert has never had this role when working with Van Gaal – Danny Blind occupies it for the Netherlands – the former Barcelona striker was thought to be in the running to do so at United.

Yet Van Gaal has now decided he wants Giggs. While Van Gaal's appointment continues to be expected this week, the Welshman had been minded to turn down any role offered on the Dutchman's staff if it was junior or token, so he appears likely to accept what will be a high ranking position.

If Giggs does accept this will ensure his long association with United – he is in a 23rd season in the first-team squad – continues next term, even if the 40-year-old does not play on.

Giggs is set to select himself in United's squad for Tuesday evening's visit of Hull City in what could be a last chance to play at Old Trafford and say farewell.

As the most decorated player in United's history and a firm favourite both he and supporters want the opportunity to have a fitting on-field farewell, in case this does prove his final campaign.

Giggs has scored in every season since the Premier League began in 1992 except the current one, though this is not a priority.

He said: "I want to do what's best to win the game and not just make room for me in the starting line-up or on the bench, which I won't do. Of course, the perfect scenario is me coming on and scoring a goal, the winning goal, and hopefully everyone will be happy but it doesn't always work like that. We'll have to wait and see what happens on the night."
Link

So it seems that Giggs will get the coaching role he wants, hopefully it's true. A few reliable journalist saying that Giggs will play himself tomorrow. Could be his game at OT ever.

markhrad

What's the big deal? I'm happy Giggs has taken over for the last 4. I couldn't imagine a better caretaker from the inside. I don't mind him playing everybody either. It gives players to be sold a chance to present themselves to other clubs. It gives players playing at the WorldCup a chance to kick a ball before they head of to Brazil. And it gives players like Vidic a goodbye that he has more than deserved.
Having no expectations for the rest of this season, I'm happy that Giggs managed to excite me again. Yes, we lost. Yes, it sucks. Yes, we need a new experienced manager.

But we also need to find a good balance between keeping good people at the club like the whole class of 92 and at the same time bringing in somebody from the outside that will help us build a new, modern system. I'm finding it hard to let go, because we've had so much success in the past. To want to change our style of play feels like I'm giving up something valuable. It was so good for so long. Yet I understand that our approach is outdated and we need to adapt before we get left behind.

I think we need somebody like LVG now, somebody who is willing to rip our hearts and spine out without blinking, to make sure we get on the right track again. I'm sure the door will be open for Giggs sometime in the future depending on his development. And if he does get a chance to manage us in the future, then I will expect more and better.
I agree with what you have said. My problem with Giggs is that as much as I loved him as a player him being our manager is too much of a risk.
I always thought it would be Gary Neville that would end up as our manager. I do not recall Giggs being much of a leader either on or off the field.
I have never even heard of him as being captain material.
After Gary Left Evra became our official/ unofficial post-match speaker. In fact most recent ( with the exception of this season ) club news was given by Evra. Giggs always seemed quiet to me.
Gary and Evra have always shown the most passion. This may not be a pre-requisite for a successful manager but given all the unknowns/ variables I would prefer them at some later stage.

SirAF

Ageist
So is Kluivert coming along as well. Or is that never going to happen...
I think a dutch paper wrote that Kluivert is not coming and Giggs will be LvG's assistant. Dunno of the reliability of that paper though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
In tonights programme: "I don't buy into the theory that this club needs to bring in lots of players & sell off a lot of current squad"
Would hardly be helpful to say anything else. But I suspect he really believes that. If used properly it's a top 4 squad, imo.

But as far as competing in Europe we need an injection of talent.

Varun

Staff
Absolutely baffling how he's setup the middle 3 today. Even for a meaningless game, some thought surely goes into tactics. Why are we playing Fellaini as the AM when we have no plan to play direct football and instead are playing it short? Kagawa is the deepest CM most of the time :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
he seems to be merely giving everyone a run out.
And seems to have told Mata don't worry, everyone knows you're quality, you don't need to start all the games!

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's still good enough as a player. Just give him another year as player/coach whatever. He must stay.