Giggs' final meeting as Manchester United's caretaker manager

SER19

Wow completely belittling to almost everyone on this forum
Well they, and you, can feel as belittled as they want. It wouldn't surprise me if my thoughts downright offended many given how hysterical some are over this snippet of footage, or every time we drop a point.

Last edited:

SER19

You’re completely missing the point. It’s not the fact it wasn’t an incredible speech, it’s the fact it only needed to be a brief word and yet he still managed to make a meal out of it, struggled to string three sentences together and sucked the life out of it.

If you can’t see just how poor that very very basic delivery was, it’s you that likely has little experience of these things even at amateur level. Despite being a bit of a simple debriefing, it was a real struggle.
No my post and posts of many others offer more than enough balance to show were not "missing the point". If only we had videos of interpreters slowly translating early talks by pochettino or conte, or similar hotel briefs by any number of managers. People seem to imagine a lot more happens than does and find anything that falls below their imaginary standards "cringey". Like all things giggs related many here will spin however they want and even if you find it below par - for anybody to use it as a means to measure his managerial capability just smacks of lack of any depth of understanding of how football works. It's a one minute clip from a documentary, if he had his dick stuck in his zip while delivering in it it's still not worthy of a thread or discussion to assess his skills

slyadams

I don't expect a rollicking team talk in the hotel this long before the game, but the information he is giving just sounds so rudimentary. "We've got players who are comfortable on the ball", implying there are players in the team who aren't, which just seems a weird message for the manager to give: some of you are good on the ball, some, not so much.

Minimalist

This stuff infuriates me. Really shows how little many average fans have been involved in football at even an amateur adult level.

Firstly, he's hardly going to give them a rollicking in the hotel many many hours before kick off. This is a simple debrief- squad together and getting heads on game. Secondly, even if it was this was an utter dead rubber away at Southampton at the end of the worst season in living memory. Finally, the frequency of any given Sunday, inspirational, spine tingling pre match speeches is almost nil. Not only does it become transparent and ineffective if acted out every week, but many managers also save the high vocal stuff for half times.

Amazes me how many fans are either so ignorant, or unwilling to accept, how mundane so much of the off field stuff is.
Might as well not have bothered if that's how dull and vague ("they dive a lot") it was going to be. Doesn't have to be super motivational (I agree that's overrated and misplaced) but he does sound like he's not really thought about the game up until that moment.

SER19

Might as well not have bothered if that's how dull and vague ("they dive a lot") it was going to be. Doesn't have to be super motivational (I agree that's overrated and misplaced) but he does sound like he's not really thought about the game up until that moment.
Again maybe you have different expectations of what would be discussed at that point, which is at least many many hours before the game and possibly the evening before flying down to Southampton.

SER19

Not to mention we don't know what's had to be edited out for prime time tv/at club request if anything derogatory has been said about opposition or ref

SirAF

Ageist
I don't expect a rollicking team talk in the hotel this long before the game, but the information he is giving just sounds so rudimentary. "We've got players who are comfortable on the ball", implying there are players in the team who aren't, which just seems a weird message for the manager to give: some of you are good on the ball, some, not so much.
Exactly :lol: Not sure why there are som posters that are so outraged - I got nothing against Giggs but he does seem wildly uninspiring. I'm rooting for him to prove us wrong with Wales though!

GBBQ

Again maybe you have different expectations of what would be discussed at that point, which is at least many many hours before the game and possibly the evening before flying down to Southampton.
If its just a debrief / team meeting / tactical discussion then why is he saying to give the fans something to cheer for?

SER19

If its just a debrief / team meeting / tactical discussion then why is he saying to give the fans something to cheer for?
I don't understand this post. I don't see why he wouldn't say that at any meeting within a couple of days of the game

GBBQ

I don't understand this post. I don't see why he wouldn't say that at any meeting within a couple of days of the game
His words are clearly an attempt to motivate the team (Give the fans something to cheer for, mentioning our fiercest rivals being those in contention for the league) however it is delivered in a dull monotone that is anything but motivational. Thats what people are pointing out.

littlepeasoup

That scoreline placement as all the players are leaving the meeting is pretty perfect. Also, first time posting since all this happened, how'd I manage to get labelled a scouse lover? :lol:

SER19

His words are clearly an attempt to motivate the team (Give the fans something to cheer for, mentioning our fiercest rivals being those in contention for the league) however it is delivered in a dull monotone that is anything but motivational. Thats what people are pointing out.
I heard 44 seconds of summarising. All players in suits, in a hotel, documentary camera present. Genuinely do not see why anything in that 44 seconds is worthy of interpretation on any meaningful level. There's a screen there too, for all we know giggs and other coaches had just been screening opposition clips/discussing tactics.

It's such utter nonsense to try use this clip as anything other than what it is

SER19

That scoreline placement as all the players are leaving the meeting is pretty perfect. Also, first time posting since all this happened, how'd I manage to get labelled a scouse lover? :lol:
Think it's for anybody that was happy city lost last weekend

GBBQ

I heard 44 seconds of summarising. All players in suits, in a hotel, documentary camera present. Genuinely do not see why anything in that 44 seconds is worthy of interpretation on any meaningful level. There's a screen there too, for all we know giggs and other coaches had just been screening opposition clips/discussing tactics.

Are you saying Giggs isn't trying to motivate the players?

SER19

Are you saying Giggs isn't trying to motivate the players?
Not discussing it any further with you, your first post and this one are too simple minded and without context. Not having a go, just not worth discussing further as it contradicts my overall point that a 44 second Clip isn't worth an interpretation

GBBQ

Not discussing it any further with you, your first post and this one are too simple minded and without context. Not having a go, just not worth discussing further as it contradicts my overall point that a 44 second Clip isn't worth an interpretation
Of course it is worth an interpretation so long as the interpretation isn't extrapolating illogical conclusions. For this clip, where he is specifically using motivational speech, I (and many others) have found him to be pretty uninspiring.

Nucks

RT History Department
Just do a variation of this, every-single-time, and you're good to go.

Adebesi

Surely the fact there's a camera in the room is a reason to be more animated, not less. A documentary is being made, fans will be watching it, why stifle all this natural charisma that presumably bursts out when they get into their kits and into the dressing room?

I cant imagine SAF talking like this to a room full of players whether he was in a hotel, a changing room or an airport lounge, whether his audience were wearing suits, tracksuits or birthday suits, and regardless of whether the cameras were rolling or not. In my experience some people have a natural ability to captivate an audience, others do not, and while people will obviously dial it right up when the situation demands it, they dont often intentionally dial it down to this extent either. Because it is very rare it is advantageous to bore the living shit out of people.

I agree this is not conclusive evidence that he "doesnt have it". But it is one piece of evidence. Its not irrelevant.

Blue always red

"fecking City or Liverpool are going to win the league." I quite liked it, to the point and professional. Like others have said, the morale boosting will come from his talk in the dressing room.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Last team talk, Jack shit to play for, seriously disappointing season. Do yall want him to cut a hulk hogan promo or something

Adebesi

Last team talk, Jack shit to play for, seriously disappointing season. Do yall want him to cut a hulk hogan promo or something
The other way of looking at it is: you have been given what is apparently your dream job on a trial / temporary basis and you are hoping to secure it permanently, either now or perhaps in the future, you have a limited amount of time to impress and cameras are rolling.

red4ever 79

Well they, and you, can feel as belittled as they want. It wouldn't surprise me if my thoughts downright offended many given how hysterical some are over this snippet of footage, or every time we drop a point.
You would have to be a stupid person/never mind not knowing anything about football to think that speech was a success. Dull, flat, uninspiring, reflection on Giggs's personality I'm afraid

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
You would have to be a stupid person/never mind not knowing anything about football to think that speech was a success. Dull, flat, uninspiring, reflection on Giggs's personality I'm afraid
Careful so you don't belittle anyone now :rolleyes:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He just doesn't have any charisma at all
That's it.
When managing and leading a group (especially for the final game of the season, when you are trying to impress everybody - think of this as a job interview), you need to show enthusiasm, energy and charisma.
This guy has none of that.

On a related note, considering his lack of charisma, how does this guy pull so many women?
I can imagine him pulling the slappers in a night club, who have no respect for themselves, but he even pulled his sister in law.

SER19

:lol: jump on my original post as belittling then post that the hypocrisy is hilarious, and predictable from somebody that gets worked up in interpreting a 44 second clip. Even the fact you call it a 'speech' points to how far away from grasping the context you are.

By all means, use this 44 second clip to form an opinion and get indignant, just leave me out of it.

red4ever 79

:lol: jump on my original post as belittling then post that the hypocrisy is hilarious, and predictable from somebody that gets worked up in interpreting a 44 second clip. Even the fact you call it a 'speech' points to how far away from grasping the context you are.

By all means, use this 44 second clip to form an opinion and get indignant, just leave me out of it.
Have you see Ryan Giggs give interviews. He is a dull person. There is nothing else to say. He speaks in the same tone. There are also lot of rumours his interview at Swansea was so bad he hasnt had a sniff of an interview since. Now he is going to inspire Wales

Adebesi

On a related note, considering his lack of charisma, how does this guy pull so many women?
I can imagine him pulling the slappers in a night club, who have no respect for themselves, but he even pulled his sister in law.
People can be very different in small groups or one on one. I cant imagine there is a huge correlation between being good at public speaking and being good at flirting with women.

ZupZup

How does a fairly decent looking multi-millionaire celebrity footballer pull women?

I really dunno mate... the world's gone mad!

SER19

Have you see Ryan Giggs give interviews. He is a dull person. There is nothing else to say. He speaks in the same tone. There are also lot of rumours his interview at Swansea was so bad he hasnt had a sniff of an interview since. Now he is going to inspire Wales
But all of this is completely unrelated to my problem with people over analysing - in some smug tone- a 44 second clip. You took exception to what I thought was a balanced post, completely contradicted whatever prompted you to be offended by that post in the first place , and now are talking about something I dont want to discuss. It's all a bit haphazard, off the cuff posting, and probably in the same vein as those who rush to criticise and interpret a minuscule snippet without applying a little reason.

There's no need for us to continue in a back and forth unless seeking to go off on a detour about a Swansea interview (which again is utter speculation)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Public speaking is a skill, learned like any other. The more you do it, the better you’ll get. Can’t be certain that a charismatic speaker at one of these meetings would get a better outcome on the pitch but Giggs is obviously a dreadful public speaker, which isn’t ideal if part of his job is to speak to large groups of people and inspire them to buy into his “philosophy”.

I guess that his reputation as a player makes it easier for him to get players on board than a manager who achieved less as a footballer but might be a better orator but he can’t rely on that indefinitely. If things are going south (as they were when that was recorded) and the players are doubting the leadership team then this deficiency in his managerial arsenal could be a real problem for him. I hope he’s been working on it, for his (and Wales) sake.

red4ever 79

But all of this is completely unrelated to my problem with people over analysing - in some smug tone- a 44 second clip. You took exception to what I thought was a balanced post, completely contradicted whatever prompted you to be offended by that post in the first place , and now are talking about something I dont want to discuss. It's all a bit haphazard, off the cuff posting, and probably in the same vein as those who rush to criticise and interpret a minuscule snippet without applying a little reason.

There's no need for us to continue in a back and forth unless seeking to go off on a detour about a Swansea interview (which again is utter speculation)
Ok lets avoid speculation. Let's stick to the facts. That clip of Ryan Giggs giving some kind of Team talk to the Utd squad was seriously bad.

SER19

Ok lets avoid speculation. Let's stick to the facts. That clip of Ryan Giggs giving some kind of Team talk to the Utd squad was seriously bad.

Aaaand even if agree with this post (which is irrelevant), it's a completely separate point to what I took exception with. A true waste of time these exchanges have been- stick to a point

Needham

Goes some way to explaining why he almost never got up off the bench to rally the side during those interminable LVG draws.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If Fergie said those things it'd probably lift you. Some people just have it, Giggs obviously doesn't.

What really amazes me though, is how often footballer's day to day work reminds me of school.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
This stuff infuriates me. Really shows how little many average fans have been involved in football at even an amateur adult level.

Firstly, he's hardly going to give them a rollicking in the hotel many many hours before kick off. This is a simple debrief- squad together and getting heads on game. Secondly, even if it was this was an utter dead rubber away at Southampton at the end of the worst season in living memory. Finally, the frequency of any given Sunday, inspirational, spine tingling pre match speeches is almost nil. Not only does it become transparent and ineffective if acted out every week, but many managers also save the high vocal stuff for half times.

Amazes me how many fans are either so ignorant, or unwilling to accept, how mundane so much of the off field stuff is.
But in the movies and on the Telly the manager always gives a rousing speech!

Overall I'd be careful reading too much into what Giggs did or did not do in a few games as caretaker manager in the situation the team was in.

sosolid4u09

we have really good players...I know its last game of the season...but I'm really looking forward to it..cos...we have really good players