Giggs: I told the club to sign Mbappe and Jesus

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It reminded me of Moyes moaning about Bale, Kroos, Fabregas (genius scout that he was) and other players that he wanted to sign, but the club failed to
There’s a big difference. Giggs is more moaning that Lvg didn’t listen to him

SqueakyWeasel

Some other quotes from Giggs:

'I thought I was in with a shout, but the club were in a difficult situation. They had fallen down the pecking order. They went for a winner, in Jose, a win-at-all-costs type of manager. Is Jose a typical Manchester United manager? Probably not, but United were in a situation of ''How quickly can we get back to the top?'' I totally understand that. I just felt I could have brought continuity. I knew the players. I know what a Manchester United player looks like.'
I don't necessarily agree with all that 100% but it is the crux of most people's complaints currently :angel:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Got to agree with Giggs, if it’s true. Our scouting and transfer dealings have been close to abysmal. Especially under Moyes and LvG.
Agreed.

We have recently hired some new scouts haven't we? I am not sure if there has been a overhaul in our scouting or just a few additions, but it means that the club are aware we need to improve in this department, which is good.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Jesus did not make his Palmeiras first team debut until March 2015, so unless Giggs was watching the youth team he's blagging it about watching him 3 years ago.

I think it's clear to everyone that our scouting and talent acquisition has been flagging behind for this entire decade really.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I honestly think Giggs is a bit scared of taking a job elsewhere because he's afraid of failing and he knows if he does then he won't be considered for the United job when Mourinho leaves. I reckon he's waiting to see if Jose leaves after his three year contract.
The club should tell him explicitly he needs to go and prove himself first. I don’t think the club would progress under Giggs at all, with next to no experience. It’d be no different from City putting Richard Dunne in place; being a better player means nothing in management.

Big Andy

Bloke
Tbh, it's difficult for me to believe a cheater. But I agree that our purchases after SAF were shit.
What does his private life have to do with anything? Actually nothing...it has zero effect on anything...

So what if he cheated on his missus, I reckon most premier league footballers are at it left right and centre...it shouldn't tarnish any sort of legacy with United fans...

Dobbs

The problem with Giggs's line of thinking is that notwithstanding the possibility of those players not being developed as well as they did had they signed for us, the moment other clubs caught winds of Utd making a 5m offer for a 16/17 year old Brazillian starlet, it wouldn't be 5m anymore.

Look at Wilson. Recommended by him, given his Utd debut under him but completely stagnated.
I don't think the amount is the important part here. So not really a problem.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The club should tell him explicitly he needs to go and prove himself first. I don’t think the club would progress under Giggs at all, with next to no experience. It’d be no different from City putting Richard Dunne in place; being a better player means nothing in management.
Agreed. He needs to go elsewhere and gain experience and prove himself before ever being considered for the job. We can't afford to just take a gamble on him because he was a great player and served as an assistant for two seasons.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Jesus did not make his Palmeiras first team debut until March 2015, so unless Giggs was watching the youth team he's blagging it about watching him 3 years ago.

I think it's clear to everyone that our scouting and talent acquisition has been flagging behind for this entire decade really.
It's not uncommon for players to scout players at U18 level. For example we scouted Da Silva twins at a very young age.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I really don't understand the abuse Giggs gets on here but sadly Im not surprised anymore. My only problem.with Giggs was he should have retired sooner and joined Fergies coaching staff and maybe he would have been in a stronger position to succeed him.

Greck

His motives dont affect the validity of his message. It's common knowledge that he scouted and recommended Martial so maybe he has a future in talent recruitment.

He could also have recommended some duds but that's the talent recruitment game. You get four obertans for every Ronaldo

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Agreed.

We have recently hired some new scouts haven't we? I am not sure if there has been a overhaul in our scouting or just a few additions, but it means that the club are aware we need to improve in this department, which is good.
Yeah it’s definitely an area we can improve on. Didn’t we appoint someone from Atletico as well? Memory seems to be failing me.

flappyjay

He wanted us to sign Sanchez while at Benfica as well, I remember him being asked if he was worth the fee Bayern paid and Giggs said along the lines of; Absolutely.
Mourinho said he would signed him too. He got a lot of people convinced he was ready

minoo-utd

Sorry but Giggs was working with LVG who brought an awful lot non- United players like he said and stood still done nothing, where was Giggs when Louis asked to bring the likes of Schneiderlin, Basti, Darmian, Blind ? It worries me that he didn't vote against those signings as he declares now that he know what a Manchester United player looks like!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Sorry but Giggs was working with LVG who brought an awful lot non- United players like he said and stood still done nothing, where was Giggs when Louis asked to bring the likes of Schneiderlin, Basti, Darmian, Blind ? It worries me that he didn't vote against those signings as he declares now that he know what a Manchester United player looks like!
Given that he seems to have been overruled on his recommendations, I would assume that any word against LVG’s preferred signings would have been considered irrelevant?

BigCaine

There’s a big difference. Giggs is more moaning that Lvg didn’t listen to him
If giggs is correct with his timeline then mbappe would have been 14-15 and jesus 16-17, i highly doubt lvg would veto or even have much input on which kids utd signed. Though what baffles me is what exactly was giggs doing scouting for the u18's when he was the first team assistant manager.

Craig Ward

Reeks of attention seeking in truth.

Would Giggs even scout players as an assistant manager? We have a whole scouting team.

Sooner he gets a job the better, no top tier club is going to open they're arms and give him a job without experience. He can bore off, sick of hearing his non-sense

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Interesting that these sort of quotes come out as Clement is sacked.

redom

Mbappé was on most club's radars, the world knew exactly who he was.
Agreed, I doubt there were any top clubs unaware of the talent of these 2, Giggs is just giving himself a pat on the back, good timing too with numerous managers under pressure.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I love how people think one of, if not the, most arrogant manager in the world can have his mind changed about signings

AndyJ1985

There have been loads of excellent young players we should have signed but instead we've overlooked. Why I don't know. It's fair to say our player recruitment has been utterly abysmal for many years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I love how people think one of, if not the, most arrogant manager in the world can have his mind changed about signings
Yet he (apparently) persuaded him to make his best purchase - Martial.

It’s well known that Van Gaal has little interest in transfers, he’s a coach that just wants to work with players.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
In the same interview, he also said he wouldn't have sold Rafael, Welbeck and Evans. I agree with him there.

dichinero

If giggs is correct with his timeline then mbappe would have been 14-15 and jesus 16-17, i highly doubt lvg would veto or even have much input on which kids utd signed. Though what baffles me is what exactly was giggs doing scouting for the u18's when he was the first team assistant manager.
We all know he really wasn't an assistant manager. He was there to keep a feeling

Marcky411

You know you are talking about one of our best ever players yes?
Yes I do, I will never slate him as a player and his great career as a footballer but we are talking about the interview he gave. Referring to his career as a coach I would say the same about Gary Neville, great footballer, good pundit not so good coach.

Red_toad

Giggs talking sense, Moyes and Van Gaal are a bit of a stain on our recent history, club hasn't managed the post Sir Alex period very well at all. A director of football should be sought, so we're not recruiting players or managers who aren't going to be longer term options.