Giggs: I told the club to sign Mbappe and Jesus

SER19

Exactly. These are the same people on this site that literally wank over pictures of Scholes.
Giggs is our most decorated player. Show some fecking respect. Yes he's a flawed human being and its disgraceful what he did. But we're talking football here and that man gave us all more fun times over the long career he had with us (and only us) than anyone. He produced magical moments probably only Best or Ronaldo could provide,. For two decades!

Reel yourselves in.
Giggs the man is for another thread.
Giggs the player is second to none!
I agree with what you're saying completely.

if the most successful premier league player ever and our ex assistant manager makes a comment, and you don't like the man, you don't have to be offended or pissed off or instantly respond with some bitchy school girl comment. I swear some of you must make your lives so bloody difficult to carry such a weird negative mentality. Calm down. Don't like what he says move on, if it's out of line call it out, but when it's a bloody harmless comment or observation just let it go! Pathological thinking of some people, it just makes you seeem like an angry little keyboard warrior

Last edited:

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I agree with what you're saying completely, but even stop short of that, if the most successful premier league player ever and our ex assistant manager makes a comment, and you don't like the man, you don't have to be offended or pissed off or instantly respond with some bitchy school girl comment. I swear some of you must make your lives so bloody difficult to carry such a weird negative mentality. Calm down. Don't like what he says move on, if it's out of line call it out, but when it's a bloody harmless comment or observation just let it go! Pathological thinking of some people, it just makes you seeem like an angry little keyboard warrior
Are you agreeing with me or calling me a keyboard warrior or both?

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
What really changed until last season? No one really knew him until last season, city bid 40mn before he actually became well known and still the bid was rejected.
Jesus was bought for a mere £27m. Saying that, I am not convinced that he has set the world on fire. Yes he has talent and potential, but we need to wait and see if he achieves anything worth mentioning.

vangagal

Holy moly, another thread about what Giggsy said and caftards turns into riot yet again. This man divide opinion no matter what he do or say. Can we just agree to disagree about him as personal but can we just agree about him as a legend player for United? Is it not that hard right?

I think he just stating the obvious about Mbappe and Jesus, any big clubs around Europe surely was all over Mbappe but i'm not so sure about Jesus. But Madrid just signed another Brazilian teenager for 40mil right?
I cant help but feel he will always had something to say about United in regards to signing youth. Doesnt matter if is not Mbappe or Jesus, whoever rise to stardom he will say that he told United to sign that player X or Y. This not help him in this case because he was part of that management but do nothing ultimately about what he just said.

So in short, its add nothing to club about what he said. Henry could said the same to Arsenal but its add nothing to the team. Nowadays, ex-player always had their say about their respective club in media but it just another interview in the end. We can agree or disagree thou.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Jesus was bought for a mere £27m. Saying that, I am not convinced that he has set the world on fire. Yes he has talent and potential, but we need to wait and see if he achieves anything worth mentioning.
He's better than Lukaku at less than half the price

red4ever11

I loved Giggsy as a player... Idolised him to be honest. But as a person and after what happened with the brother I'm kind of wishing he would fade away in to the background. Anyone else feel like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

iHicksy

Blah, I'm getting kind of sick of the constant Giggs bashing on here. I feel like it stems from his tenure as LVG's assistant and the perception that redcafe has some deep insight into the inner workings of his mind and that because he's not managing a lower league club he's entitled and arrogant. I don't know if this stems from a desperation that actually Giggs as manager would be a dream at some point in the future and everyone wants him to take a Division 2 job so he can get started and we can see what he's made of, I get that, but I really don't get the out right disdain for him.

The guy is United through and through, he clearly bleeds red. Looking back, the majority of sensible posters who actually watched us over those two seasons witnessed the most soul destroying football we've ever seen at Old Trafford and it's pretty clear to me that Giggs was in direct opposition with LVG over how United should play and the kind of players required for that play style (e.g players like Mpabbe who he states are 'United players'). It's plausible that now LVG's contract with us has expired and he's free to slag us off in the media that Giggs feels like he should stick up for the club (or he had a similar clause) and is letting us know that 'look we suggested these players to him, and I told him to keep these players, but he wouldn't listen to me' and that's why we are where we are.'

cyril C

Hmm I never mentioned the proposed price. I have no idea what his contract situation was back then.
How much was Mbappe is not the issue. We did get Martial remember. Had we gone for Mbappe instead of Martial, there is good chance that Martial would go to PSG for 200m and Mbappe is a on-off player. Why Giggs did not mention all those players that he and LVG had recruited, but never taken off? Why didn't they go for Kante instead of Schneiderlin, both are French. What about Kroos instead of Schweisteiger, both are German. If we say Shaw was unlucky, did he tell LVG that Blind is too short and thin as a CB? If we had a proper CB, we might not have lost to Westham, hence LVG would still have a job and Giggs became his natural successor. We will always regret on missing Messi when he was 16, XYZ when he was 17, what matters are those players that we have recruited, that how many of them fail so miserably even as a squad player. Giggs is not alone on this of course, Fergi had his fair share of blame.

Camilo

What defines a Manchester United player? It's a term i think the Neville brothers have used as well. Ability obviously comes into it but what are the other characteristics that define a Manchester United player?
There's no such thing, most of the ex players talk utter rubbish. They played under one of the greatest managers of all time, and don't understand that it was SAF and not the players who were special.

BigCaine

My post was about mbappe not Jesus.

Oldyella

Kind of comment we laugh about with Wenger, although at least he tried to sign X player. Would be impressed if he mentioned some up and comers that big clubs should be after.

PaidMonk

I no longer trust Rayan Giggs. And i don't believe for a second that he holds the clubs best interest at heart. I think he's selfish and is only looking after his own ambitions at securing the top seat at United for himself.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Don't disagree with that, I disagree with the assertion that giggs is now pulling out of his arse that these were players he recommended signing. He has very much become a lightning rod for people who carry a lot of messed up emotions about the time the club was really struggling,

These were innocuous comments but it's as if he can't open his mouth without offending somebody's sensibilities. Some claim he has no right to talk about getting any managers jobs when it seems they really want to be saying he shouldn't speak about football at all.
The likes of Steve Kean and Tim Sherwood became the butt of jokes for making similar type comments.

SER19

The likes of Steve Kean and Tim Sherwood became the butt of jokes for making similar type comments.
They didn't exactly help themselves either though :p just hard not to feel, given this forums pattern that too many things are used as a stick to beat him. Nothing wrong with these comments, by your own admission they were known as good prospects, it's not unreasonable to think he advised signing them, even if his bid would have been rejected :lol:

podurban2

How much was Mbappe is not the issue. We did get Martial remember. Had we gone for Mbappe instead of Martial, there is good chance that Martial would go to PSG for 200m and Mbappe is a on-off player. Why Giggs did not mention all those players that he and LVG had recruited, but never taken off? Why didn't they go for Kante instead of Schneiderlin, both are French. What about Kroos instead of Schweisteiger, both are German. If we say Shaw was unlucky, did he tell LVG that Blind is too short and thin as a CB? If we had a proper CB, we might not have lost to Westham, hence LVG would still have a job and Giggs became his natural successor. We will always regret on missing Messi when he was 16, XYZ when he was 17, what matters are those players that we have recruited, that how many of them fail so miserably even as a squad player. Giggs is not alone on this of course, Fergi had his fair share of blame.
Mate, what are you on about? :lol:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I no longer trust Rayan Giggs. And i don't believe for a second that he holds the clubs best interest at heart. I think he's selfish and is only looking after his own ambitions at securing the top seat at United for himself.
Well going public about our scouting is not going to take him closer to the United job. I doubt Ed is impressed....might be more sensible to keep his thoughts to himself...

JMack1234

Giggs as a player: Is an absolute legend in my eyes and nothing will ever diminish that.

Giggs as a person: Actually seems alright to me, I know a massive calamity befell him in his personal life, but life is what it is and I don't feel that massive mistake makes him a bad person.

However, Giggs as a non-playing footballing personality is really very annoying. He wants to be a manager good. Far too many ex-pros sit on a sofa lambasting managers when they frankly don't have the bottle to do it themselves (Yes Carra i'm talking about you) but Giggs doesn't want to be a manager of a lower league team. He wants to walk into a quite a comfortable premiership job where he'd struggle to make a mess of it. As the Utd job...this isn't football manager, you can't just start a career at Man Utd without showing you have the skills required to manager a massive football club. It's like me applying to become the Headmaster of my old school because I once went on the merit trip.

I do hope he gets the Wales job because i'm a Utd fan and I want to see Ryan Giggs in active football as for Utd he's got to prove he's good enough first.

el3mel

Giggs as a player: Is an absolute legend in my eyes and nothing will ever diminish that.

Giggs as a person: Actually seems alright to me, I know a massive calamity befell him in his personal life, but life is what it is and I don't feel that massive mistake makes him a bad person.

However, Giggs as a non-playing footballing personality is really very annoying. He wants to be a manager good. Far too many ex-pros sit on a sofa lambasting managers when they frankly don't have the bottle to do it themselves (Yes Carra i'm talking about you) but Giggs doesn't want to be a manager of a lower league team. He wants to walk into a quite a comfortable premiership job where he'd struggle to make a mess of it. As the Utd job...this isn't football manager, you can't just start a career at Man Utd without showing you have the skills required to manager a massive football club. It's like me applying to become the Headmaster of my old school because I once went on the merit trip.

I do hope he gets the Wales job because i'm a Utd fan and I want to see Ryan Giggs in active football as for Utd he's got to prove he's good enough first.
Spot on in everything imo. Summarizes my opinions on him in all aspects.

PaulRich

That’s funny Ryan - we told the board to sign Messi, Suárez and Iniesta - did they listen.....

Hansa

Yeah, I think most of us love the idea of Giggs as manager of United - we just don't trust him as of today. Would be great if he proved himself to be the most logical - and best - candidate somewhere along the line.

KYcinco

If we had the other two, you’d probably say the same thing. Some United fans just envy other teams players instead of supporting their own. It sickens me.
Mbappe is on another level

Rashford and Jesus are in the same boat

Rashford will never be United's greatest player, stop being foolish

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Listening to Giggs and Sherwood as pundits is funny. Jus stating obvious stuff after obvious stuff. Any caftard would offer more in terms o analysis

jem

I keep reading “Jesus, I told the club to sign Mbappe.” I find the idea of an exasperated Giggs to be amusing, for some reason.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Mbappe is on another level

Rashford and Jesus are in the same boat

Rashford will never be United's greatest player, stop being foolish
Rashford is still a kid... he may be around for a few years but at the minute I don't see him doing any better than Welbeck.
He's good but not GOAT looking material

Yet....

northender

Supports
Preston North End
Top clubs can't sweep up all the talent and you can't sign everyone, but his general point is right.

Recruitment hasn't been good enough at United post-Ferguson, and hasn't be great under Mourinho either, and doesn't really fit United's chemistry as a club.

Acole9

Outstanding
I know we've had a huge overhaul in the scouting department, hopefully we will soon be reaping the rewards of this. Of course it will take time.

Judas

Open to offers
Comments like this prove the bloke is constantly going into business for himself, if he had Utd's best interest at heart he'd realise how useless and toxic it is to release statements like this, they benefit no one but him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
We definitely were, seeing as we signed Mbappe's team-mate. I like Martial but it does seem borderline negligent that our scouts spent that much time watching Monaco's youth players and picked out Martial as the only one worth signing.
Mbappé exploded in the second half of last year. He was pretty much a non-entity prior to that.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So if Giggs is such a genius, why has no top club snapped him up as a manager? Frankly, lots of ex United players have proved to be crap managers and equally as poor rent-a-quote pundits. I mean I've been saying for years: we should buy back Ronaldo, buy Messi, Aguero and countless Italian defenders, which is just as unrealistic as Giggs' comments here

Jig1234

Giggs makes me laugh.He goes on and on about what he would've done at Utd. It's embarrassing that he can't get over the fact we didn't hire him. If he really wants to prove a point why not go somewhere and manage a club instead of making cheap shots from the sidelines. Sounds very bitter and needy, waiting for a Premier League hand-out because of his player CV. Why don't you go to seek a job in the Championship or lower instead of waiting for a job to be handed to you.

Green_Red

Wasnt hard to see Jesus and Mbappe as special talents. I was also telling people here we need to buy Jesus the season before he went to City after seeing bits of him, wasnt that hard.

Yesterday PSV confirmed the transfer of Romero from Velez sarsfield. Another one with high potential. If he turns out to be not so great, no one will mention him
Given that Gabriel Jesus was considered one of world footballs top 5 wonderkids when he was 14/15 I think its safe to say most people in football were aware of him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Who are you, director of recruitment at United?

If the board determines at some point that Giggs has the skillset required to manage United, I'd be delighted to see him in the dugout.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Who are you, director of recruitment at United?

If the board determines at some point that Giggs has the skillset required to manage United, I'd be delighted to see him in the dugout.
Board also determined David Moyes had the skillset required to manage United.

It's baffling to me how people think Giggs can succeed here, it's as if Neville's Valencia stint never happened. You only need to watch the ITV Documentary and see how they were picking teams for weekend, laughable.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's baffling to me how people think Giggs can succeed here, it's as if Neville's Valencia stint never happened. You only need to watch the ITV Documentary and see how they were picking teams for weekend, laughable.
He had one chance. That was Van Gaal's period going magnificently, and him seamlessly taking over to ensure continuity.

We're well beyond that now, and he's seemingly made zero attempt to learn the ropes elsewhere.
He can't genuinely believe he can just cruise into the job one day with just "top ex player" status being his one trump card.

Every few years saying he told the club to buy some now current megastar doesn't help anything. It just makes him sound like he had no influence on things, the last thing you'd want a future manager to admit to.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I find it laughable that a casual observer/fan thinks they know better than football boards, how to evaluate potential manager candidates.

You bring up Neville. I can bring up Zidane or Guardiola. All examples are irrelevant, except to illustrate the point that there is no established path to management at the highest level. Yes, that includes the notion of going down to League 1 and proving yourself to people who won't have any say in whether you become manager or not. Especially when said people judge your competence on how you come across on TV.

Nikelesh Reddy

I"m not sure whether Monaco would have let Mbappe go 3 years ago,he was hot property even back then....