Giggs vs Gerrard vs Lampard vs P Neville as managers

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Giggs is the most intelligent (succeeded in keeping an affair with his brother's wife secret for 8 years) so I can see him turning out to be best in the transfer market.
Not having that. Lampard kept John Terry off his missus for 13 years when they were team mates. That's quite an achievement which gets overlooked too often.

Revaulx

Lampard had Derby playing some nice stuff early in the season, as witnessed by those who saw them knock United out of the League Cup at OT. At the end of the season they finished up slightly worse than under Gary Rowett the year before, and no one is suggesting that he’s the Next Big Thing.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
All done better than Ole in his first season .
Except, all of them apart from Ole had a full season in charge an were also able to sign the players they thought best fitted their style so this season will be the first season they can be judged on an even keel.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Phil is the most intelligent because, erm, I'm struggling.

He scored a sneaky own goal for United when playing for Everton showing he is cunning?

Lentwood

The modern manager is one small piece of a very big puzzle and therefore it matters less whether they are great coaches/tacticians

Kind of like how the Team Principal of an F1 team doesnt need to be the best driver or the best race strategist or the best analyst or the best engineer AS LONG AS he knows how to get the real experts pulling together in one direction

EverReddy

Lampard is a bright guy. His old headmaster is a friend of mine - said he was one of the best latin scholars he had seen in his school. Private school. Also tells an amusing story about how he tried to dissuade Frank Snr from talking his son out of the school to pursue a career in professional football. :lol:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Gut feeling: Giggs<Gerrard<Neville<Lampard

Giggs just comes across as plain clueless, gives me no vibes to have any managing abilities. Gerrard's Rangers performed okayish I guess but he also does not come across as savy. More of a "Show heart and spirit" motivator with no tactical knowledge. Neville had the Women performing on a decent level I felt, not worse than expected and got close to beating the US despite being clearly subpar. Still hard to judge a NT manager. Lampard fulfilled expectations with Derby but wasn't outstanding, still rating him the highest just because he comes across the most intelligent. Although it's a very shallow observation I have to admit.

Don't think any of them will have a fantastic career but let's see.

Revaulx

Gut feeling: Giggs<Gerrard<Neville<Lampard

Giggs just comes across as plain clueless, gives me no vibes to have any managing abilities. Gerrard's Rangers performed okayish I guess but he also does not come across as savy. More of a "Show heart and spirit" motivator with no tactical knowledge. Neville had the Women performing on a decent level I felt, not worse than expected and got close to beating the US despite being clearly subpar. Still hard to judge a NT manager. Lampard fulfilled expectations with Derby but wasn't outstanding, still rating him the highest just because he comes across the most intelligent. Although it's a very shallow observation I have to admit.

Don't think any of them will have a fantastic career but let's see.
Most observations on the Caf are shallow; mine included. Few posters are prepared to admit it :wenger:

Lampard didn't really do any better at Derby than Gary Rowett, despite some nice football early on. I think the surprise might be Neville, but maybe that's just out of contrariness because many regard him as a bit of a joke. His man people management skills seem surprisingly good, and he/his assistants seem to be able to coach attacking play that isn't totally reliant on moments of individual brilliance; something nobody at United has been able to do for years.

Bobski

Giggs choosing Wales was a poor move. He needed a club job and the day to day work to push him forward. Fergie was correct I think in stating that internationals jobs suited older managers better, as it stands Giggs is going to be near 50 before he gets his first club management role.

Schneckerl

Lampard probably.
Gerrard doesn't seem like the smartest guy.
Giggs - must be awkward working with him considering the whole brother thing....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Gerrard is the most intelligent (knows you need Phil Collins to have a good time out on the town), so I can picture him creating a good team atmosphere that propels his side to the level required to win major trophies.
Listen pal, he didn’t start the fire

Shaidabdullah Hussain

It is tough to compare them as they all have wildly different jobs, I guess Lampard is the one with the “biggest” Job.

I also think he is the one I would bet on to be most successful, does he not have a business degree and an IQ of 150 or something ? I remember people saying he is one of the most intelligent footballers ever.

This is not to say that will translate into success, however. He did do a good job with Derby , the win against Leeds in the play offs was terrific and he obviously instilled a great team spirit in them.

I guess we’ll see!

redshaw

Would bet on Lampard and I feel he's gone the right way about managing an English club which is very hard to stand out at. The others have took odd and perhaps easy routes.

Probably second would be Gerrard. Can see him being like Kevin Keegan type manager.

With Giggs I've always said I just don't think he has any acumen, personality or charisma to manage a club.

Last edited:

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
if gerrard can guide rangers to a europa league final he'd be the winner.. i think. harder achievement. i mean between him and lampard.

influx of snglish players but his tactical influence has had an effect aswell.. the way that they close down, track back, etc. very 1 sided friendly

Last edited:

F-A-C-T-S

I'm not sure why Phil Neville is in this discussion. Coaching the women's national team? Now let me try toe the line here, women's football is an entirely different sport and you'd be hard pressed to find any male team, Premiership or Championship offering Neville a job. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the very best female teams would be unable to compete with the academy sides of male League 2 teams. It is just what it is.

Unless Neville is coaching a Championship side I don't think he can realistically be in the conversation. I think Gerrard and Lampard have picked the best jobs. Lampard will do well in my opinion. Even if all he did was achieve 5th with Chelsea that pretty much guarantees some premiership level jobs. He's the most likely to succeed out of the lot.

There's also the scary possibilty of Klopp leaving Liverpool after unprecedented success and Gerrard walking into a job of a team in great shape. Liverpool also have money now and more importantly the correct structure behind the manager which guarantees top notch recruitment allowing even average managers some level of success especially if the premier league reverts to pre pep level of perfomance (given that he'll most likely be gone), reducing points required to win the league to early mid 80s haul.

UpWithRivers

I'm not sure why Phil Neville is in this discussion. Coaching the women's national team? Now let me try toe the line here, women's football is an entirely different sport and you'd be hard pressed to find any male team, Premiership or Championship offering Neville a job. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the very best female teams would be unable to compete with the academy sides of male League 2 teams. It is just what it is.

Unless Neville is coaching a Championship side I don't think he can realistically be in the conversation. I think Gerrard and Lampard have picked the best jobs. Lampard will do well in my opinion. Even if all he did was achieve 5th with Chelsea that pretty much guarantees some premiership level jobs. He's the most likely to succeed out of the lot.

There's also the scary possibilty of Klopp leaving Liverpool after unprecedented success and Gerrard walking into a job of a team in great shape. Liverpool also have money now and more importantly the correct structure behind the manager which guarantees top notch recruitment allowing even average managers some level of success especially if the premier league reverts to pre pep level of perfomance (given that he'll most likely be gone), reducing points required to win the league to early mid 80s haul.
well they are all the same era players starting off on their managerial careers. Yes P Neville is at the bottom of the pile in terms of the level of job he took. But that does not mean he wont move on from there and become better than the others. Womans football is not a high level compared to mens yes but he still has Internationals/World cups etc and a high media spotlight to deal with and he did a decent job.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Think you can really only comment on Lampard and Gerrard.

Gerrard - done a solid job in that he hasn't shit the bed, but given that he's been given more money than previous Rangers managers, and his contacts have enabled him to make some good loan signings (particularly from Liverpool - Ryan Kent amongst others) in a relatively poor league, you'd have to say it's about par.

Lampard - again did a solid if unspectacular job at Derby, but he wouldn't be anywhere near the Chelsea job if he wasn't....well....Frank Lampard. Be interesting to see how long the residual good will last if results don't go his way. I'd be concerned if I was a Chelsea fan, he's up against some elite coaches, and at the top level of sport, the one or two percent that can add matters.

Of the others....

Giggs - that Wales job basically relies on the fitness of Gareth Bale.

Phil Neville - Women's football is a different sport and managing in it requires a slightly different skill set than the men's game. Appreciate that might not go down well in some circles, but in my defence I played men's football for 20 years, and I've been coaching in the women's game for 10.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be particularly great Managers...

Hoping for a surprise from Lampard though, given Derby had pretty much the same season as before, it's very much hope rather than based on anything else.

Skills to be a good manager totally different to those needed to be a great player. Sometimes like with Zidane it can work out well, but usually it doesn't though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be particularly great Managers...

Hoping for a surprise from Lampard though, given Derby had pretty much the same season as before, it's very much hope rather than based on anything else.
That is quite unfair on Lamps in my opinion. He maintained a league position while cutting the wage bill, severly reducing the average age and transforming a side trained on low block counter attack to a more possession based team. Usually when you're faced with one of those tasks short term results suffer let alone all 3.

Raven

I've always thought fat Frank would have the best managerial career out of him and Stvie G. I certainly think he'll be better than Giggsy and P Neville.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers

Gerrard - done a solid job in that he hasn't shit the bed, but given that he's been given more money than previous Rangers managers, and his contacts have enabled him to make some good loan signings (particularly from Liverpool - Ryan Kent amongst others) in a relatively poor league, you'd have to say it's about par.

you judge gerrard on europe. he hasn't really been giving money... they are loaned players. when you compare him to pedro... he's better than rodgers, too. they are a rock and are improving.

when he fist joined rangers his mpact was there to see from day 1... i was like "this will be funny he's better than rodgers"

but rodgers left celtic... which is disappointing because rodgers is a bt egotistical. he probably thinks he's the best on the planet.

Last edited:

ariveded

but rodgers left celtic... which is disappointing because rodgers is a bt egotistical. he probably thinks he's the best on the planet.
Slight off topic, but I argue you need to egotistical to be at this top level. See Ibra, Ronaldo.....

Untd55

Phil Neville manages conference level football - it just sounds better than it is because it is the England national team. I doubt he will ever go to a Premier League club based on that.

Gerrard hasn't done bad with Rangers. I actually thought he would be pretty bad myself, but he seems better than I believed.

I believe Lampard has the best chance. He seems like someone who could be a good manager.

Giggs - There is something about him that just says "No"