Giovani Lo Celso / season long loan to Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
New Tottenham midfielder Giovani Lo Celso: "It was an easy decision. It’s a club that plays in the Champions League every year, has an incredible stadium, a top-level training centre and a coaching team of Argentines that showed interest in me, and that was very important."

I will never doubt @GlastonSpur again!
:lol:

izec

Jealous, will be a top player and fan fave in no time. A joy to watch. Needs to polish his game and improve decision making/passing, but Poch will do that. We could have done with him, but seems we werent chasing any sort of CM/AM hybrid. Very disappointed really

noodlehair

"It's like..."
New Tottenham midfielder Giovani Lo Celso: "It was an easy decision. It’s a club that plays in the Champions League every year, has an incredible stadium, a top-level training centre and a coaching team of Argentines that showed interest in me, and that was very important."

I will never doubt @GlastonSpur again!
Every notable team in Europe has either a nice stadium or an iconic one. In the real world no player is going to choise one over the other based on a criteria as daft as this. Its easy to say new stadium when you're searching to explain why you signed for Tottenham over the alternative of no one, and can't say "to win trophies" or "i've always dreamed of playing for them"

People should probably stop listening to Gladston. It makes the forum significantly more annoying when his drivel gains traction. Ask him to explain again how Dybala chose Tottenham over United by deliberately pricing united out of signing him...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Anyway like 90 percent of the people in this thread, I've never seen this guy play. He has a cool name though. His name makes me presume he's an exciting player.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Jealous, will be a top player and fan fave in no time. A joy to watch. Needs to polish his game and improve decision making/passing, but Poch will do that. We could have done with him, but seems we werent chasing any sort of CM/AM hybrid. Very disappointed really
We need general midfielders. The one thing we don't need is yet more players who don't quite play in midfield or attack. We already have more of these than we do actual midfielders. Spurs needed one in case they lose Eriksen.

Feck knows what we're up to. We've decided we don't need midfielders or strikers despite having possibly the largest squad in the world.

LuckyScout78

If you have a really good dcm beside him. Then Spurs are having a really good and strong 2 man cm partnership.

It will take 2-3 years to get close to Liv and City. Spurs are close to them. Stronger competition for premier title will just get more exciting to follow. 3 teams for the title. Exciting and nice. And Arsenal as a really good outsider for the title. With the signing of Luiz in the last day. Can be crucial. Because of the departure of Kochielny.

The problem with Arsenal maybe is to get the best out of Ozil, mood player. Theirs DCM and goalkeeper might are not on top level. But they do have a really good XI line up

In a 4411/4231 formation:

Bellerin/Niles - Sokratis - Luiz - Tierney/Kolasinac + Pepe - Torreira - Ceballos - Mikt/Auba + Ozil + Lacazette/Auba

Definitive capable of top 4. But they are lacking world class players like Van Dijk and Salah. Lacking top quality players. And Liverpool have a really good goalkeeper in Allison and they backline with.

Allison + Alexander - Matip - Van Dijk - Robertson

This backline from a objective point of view are as good as United backline from 90 with Stam, Rio. Chelsea with Desailly or Arsenal invisible backline.

A winner and golden generation backline. Proof with 2 champion league final and only one lost last season. Close to miracle with 97 points and you don’t win the premier league title. I think it will take many years that it will happen again. That you don’t win the league with 97 points. It will take decade or more. That we will see two teams above 97 points again. And you have Liverpool own Messi up there. They got to be winners.

So again. It will impress me if United get top 4 this season. If Chelsea and Arsenal drop so many points like last season, special in the of the season. Spurs will be more consistent i think. So last spot is beetween Arsenal, Chelsea and United.

Edit : He looks like a player it is really difficult to take the ball from him. Fast, skillful and good passing.

When Levy and Spurs feel they are close to the top. They spend big and many. Spurs last pieces of puzzles to win the premier league title?
You get to be a really good team to beat Liverpool golden generation and City full gas Pep football and be above them at the end. I think the winner get to be over 90 points again. With rock solid Liverpool backline. They will not loose many matches.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Great signing for Spurs. Him and Ndombele alongside Winks and Sissoko make for a very, very good midfield. Potentially the 2nd best in the league behind City from what I've seen of them both and depending on how they settle.
We need general midfielders. The one thing we don't need is yet more players who don't quite play in midfield or attack. We already have more of these than we do actual midfielders. Spurs needed one in case they lose Eriksen.

Feck knows what we're up to. We've decided we don't need midfielders or strikers despite having possibly the largest squad in the world.
I get where you're coming from but, in the 4-3-2-1 Ole likes to play, he'd have been a good option as the 10, and our midfield is so dire right now that he'd have been a good option regardless. Works hard defensively, can create, is a goal threat. I saw him a bit for Betis and he's quite the all-rounder. He even played up front a few times, and sometimes played as a deeper CM alongside Carvalho and Canales.

Also, despite his size, he's very good at shielding he ball and battles hard on the pitch so I reckon he could eventually develop into a CM.

joedirt87

Only seen him play this past summer in the Copa America. Looked alright. Hard to judge with how poor Argentina were for most of the tournament. Was definitely wasted out wide.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Every notable team in Europe has either a nice stadium or an iconic one. In the real world no player is going to choise one over the other based on a criteria as daft as this. Its easy to say new stadium when you're searching to explain why you signed for Tottenham over the alternative of no one, and can't say "to win trophies" or "i've always dreamed of playing for them"

People should probably stop listening to Gladston. It makes the forum significantly more annoying when his drivel gains traction. Ask him to explain again how Dybala chose Tottenham over United by deliberately pricing united out of signing him...
The nearest explanation we're probably ever going to get as what happened with Dybala is given here (with the player said to be "furious" that the transfer deal to Spurs broke down).

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...aris-saint-germain-deadline-day-a9047451.html

The article includes saying: "... Tottenham began negotiating for Dybala soon after breaking their club-record transfer fee to sign the France international Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon for an initial £55.4m. They initially faced competition from Manchester United, who wanted to exchange the disgruntled Romelu Lukaku for the Argentine, only for the complicated swap deal to quickly break down. United also considered matching Juventus Sporting Director Fabio Paratici’s asking price, but found Dybala’s £350k-per-week wage demands prohibitive.

Such an obstructive demand also demonstrated that Dybala never really wanted to move to Old Trafford, as he had considerable doubts over their current profile (my emphasis). Tottenham was a much more appealing destination, particularly because of the opportunity to work with Argentine compatriot Pochettino and their status as a modern Champions League club... "

The article backs up what I said.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The nearest explanation we're probably ever going to get as what happened with Dybala is given here (with the player said to be "furious" that the transfer deal to Spurs broke down).

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...aris-saint-germain-deadline-day-a9047451.html

The article includes saying: "... Tottenham began negotiating for Dybala soon after breaking their club-record transfer fee to sign the France international Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon for an initial £55.4m. They initially faced competition from Manchester United, who wanted to exchange the disgruntled Romelu Lukaku for the Argentine, only for the complicated swap deal to quickly break down. United also considered matching Juventus Sporting Director Fabio Paratici’s asking price, but found Dybala’s £350k-per-week wage demands prohibitive.

Such an obstructive demand also demonstrated that Dybala never really wanted to move to Old Trafford, as he had considerable doubts over their current profile (my emphasis). Tottenham was a much more appealing destination, particularly because of the opportunity to work with Argentine compatriot Pochettino and their status as a modern Champions League club... "

Except its been said many times that we came to agreement on his wage demands. The issue was, as was for Spurs also, agent fee and image rights

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Except its been said many times that we came to agreement on his wage demands. The issue was, as was for Spurs also, agent fee and image rights
Well, the article says otherwise: "United also considered matching Juventus Sporting Director Fabio Paratici’s asking price, but found Dybala’s £350k-per-week wage demands prohibitive."

TheReligion

Abusive
Why are people arguing and dick swinging about Dybala? United couldn't agree with nor could Spurs. No one came out looking better.

PS Coutinho rejected Spurs. @GlastonSpur

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Why are people arguing and dick swinging about Dybala? United couldn't agree with nor could Spurs. No one came out looking better.

The Coutinho and Fernandes to Spurs links were only about pressuring Real Betis into selling Lo Celso. From the very start of the window Ndombele and Lo Celso were the priority targets.

Sure Coutinho may have rejected Spurs... but even if he didn't the transfer would have never happened because Spurs were only interested in getting Lo Celso.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Didn't he just outright reject a loan move rather than us in particular? Seems he either wanted a permanent switch somewhere else or would prefer to prove himself at Barca.

Though I agree with you regarding Dybala. End of the day both United and Spurs faced the same result: the player did not sign.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well, the article says otherwise: "United also considered matching Juventus Sporting Director Fabio Paratici’s asking price, but found Dybala’s £350k-per-week wage demands prohibitive."
Yes thats what Woodward was briefing. That isnt what all the reports coming from Italy were saying

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Miguel fecking Delaney :lol:

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am a bit annoyed that Spurs got him and Ndombele. Their midfield has never been the best and in case they are able to keep Eriksen and will find a replacement in time they suddenly got a top class midfield making them PL and CL contenders.

One can only hope that we will try to concentrate on our midfield problems next year in similar fashion.
4th place would help.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I've not really seen him play before, but having now seen some YouTube highlights - yes I know - I'm starting to get excited about what he could bring to Spurs:

Real Madrid vs Real Betis: Barca vs Real Betis:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I've not really seen him play before, but having now seen some YouTube highlights - yes I know - I'm starting to get excited about what he could bring to Spurs:

On his day, he looks exactly what you need. Creativity, guile and works hard, I have heard that he does come with a lot of loss of possession though.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
On his day, he looks exactly what you need. Creativity, guile and works hard, I have heard that he does come with a lot of loss of possession though.
I think that was more the concern with Bruno Fernandes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Well he signed for you, so there’s absolute no doubt you think he’s incredible.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I watched at PSG, not a single in Spain. If he hasn't improved much then I don't see what the fuss is about.
I actually thought he was fairly decent in Paris.

They just couldn’t ever figure out what a midfield was supposed to be and made a lot of shocking decisions on that front.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
A lot of people on here who don’t watch La Liga are going to eat their words in 12 months time.

This guy is a phenomenal player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Come on pal, no one rejects Spurs - they clearly weren't interested.
They have a new stadium for goodness sake! Noone rejects that!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
A lot of people on here who don’t watch La Liga are going to eat their words in 12 months time.

Extremely intelligent footballer. Makes the right decisions 9/10 times, movement is spot on. Technical abiliy is great.
It has probably been answered somewhere, but didn't PSG want him back after the apparently successful loan? It sounds like style-wise he would have been a good match for Tuchel.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

He is not better Eriksen. Plus looked average for Argentina at the copa. Albeit, he would do great in this spurs side especially if he replace Ali down the middle. I don’t think he will do well if he plays of the right like Eriksen does.

Trophy Room

He is very good on his day. Spurs have an excellent squad. If Kane stays fit then they are title challengers.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
It has probably been answered somewhere, but didn't PSG want him back after the apparently successful loan? It sounds like style-wise he would have been a good match for Tuchel.
It wasn’t in PSG’s hands. Betis had an option to buy and they took it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I thought he played really well today.

Status
Not open for further replies.