Give Rashford the Captaincy

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Title.

He's a professional off the pitch and on the pitch.

JuriM

Can we just not make any rash decisions on a 3 game run? It's a long ass season and captain isn't something you can pass around on weekly basis, it's not really gonna work out like that. Unless Harry wants to step down himself, it's gonna not change this season and that's it.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Title.

He's a professional off the pitch and on the pitch.
I agree totally with this, he has been at United all his life, earned his way up and a total pro off the pitch too. Him being a Manc too he knows what this clubs means more than others and although doesn't score every game you can see how much it affects him when they underperform. And was the FIRST to come out after the atrocity that happened against Spurs too.

Foxbatt

No I completely disagree. He has been captain before and he is one who is not captainship material. If we want to change then Bruno is the one we should give it to. Fred is the ideal one if he can get regularly into the team. You need someone who is fighting for the team mates. Maguire normally does a decent job. He does not need to rant and rave but had a complete meltdown against Spurs.

stepic

Captain? He shouldn’t even be starting for us based on form post lockdown.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Perfect choice imo. pure class, can say what needs to be said and will put the club first at all times.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
No I completely disagree. He has been captain before and he is one who is not captainship material. If we want to change then Bruno is the one we should give it to. Fred is the ideal one if he can get regularly into the team. You need someone who is fighting for the team mates. Maguire normally does a decent job. He does not need to rant and rave but had a complete meltdown against Spurs.
Maguire was arguing against his United team mates on Saturday.

Rashford was defending us

Bruno would be a good choice of captain as well

But if we want some good publicity at the moment, give it to Rashford

I thought he needed a loan?

I thought he has regressed and has bad technique?

I thought he was only in the team because he’s one of Ole’s favourites?

Should he be captain? No. We need him to concentrate on his development of a footballer.

He’s one of our best players, and think he’s a terrific kid, but we don’t want to load on top of him unnecessary expectation and responsibility.

Let’s just let him play football.

meamth

Another rubbish thread.

Rashford captain and then what?

30 games unbeaten run because he has passion?

Forget about Maguire, just throw him away. stupid fan base.

Himannv

Any player who has leadership skills will showcase them on the pitch anyway so as a result I don't feel any of them have to be officially captain to contribute. Bruno, for example, will yell at people who aren't doing well enough regardless of whether he's captain or not.

I always feel the best captain is a midfielder because the biggest role the captain plays is to deal with the referee and either keep the peace or put pressure on him when appropriate. A CB is not suitable because they have to step out of position usually to get near the ref. A forward is also not suitable as they are not in the best position for a quick counter if they're going out of their way to deal with the ref. A box-to-box midfielder like Keane or Robbo is probably what I'd prefer to go with (although we sadly have none like those two in the club at the moment).

As for Rashford, Maguire, or Bruno being captain, it shows how desperate things are if we're considering players who have been at the club for a season or so, or ones who are still far too young. IMO the best option is to just let Maguire be captain, show him some much needed support during this difficult phase, and let them all at least spend some time at the club and see how things develop. It's hardly an important enough role to take it away from him and show him lack of confidence at what is clearly a critical time for the player in his career.

RUCK4444

I can sort of understand the sentiment, he seems a brilliant lad and is probably an awful lot more intelligent than the others within the squad. But he lacks the one single trait you need to be the captain, leadership.

Perhaps he will grow that part of his character on the pitch.

That said nobody in the squad screams captain material anyway. Probably Bruno if I had to choose.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Absolutely not, his head always drops when things don’t go his way.

the only one for the job is Bruno.

K Stand Knut

Can we just not make any rash decisions on a 3 game run? It's a long ass season and captain isn't something you can pass around on weekly basis, it's not really gonna work out like that. Unless Harry wants to step down himself, it's gonna not change this season and that's it.
well, mainly this in terms of let’s not jump to any stupid decisions BUT giving the captaincy to Rashford???

This place is genuinely bonkers at time

Rewarding more people who haven’t been good enough and their place in the first XI is under question

Why don’t we give it Pogba and whilst we’re at it, a pay rise and new contract.

BR7

Funny, agree with you there are some astonishing comments and threads recently. Rash as captain? Noooo Sir

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Agree with the assessment of Rashford but came to a different conclusion, he shouldn't be captain.

A captain is someone who runs the dressing room and spurs people on and I can't imagine he is a leader to this group...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Mad how Maguire is being dismissed as captain because of a handful of appearances in which every single player was horrendous and a thirty second clip of the Martial red card.

Red For Ever

Great player, and seems like a level head and nice person, mostly out of form at the moment,
but he will be back, hopefully, sooner rather than later.
But I can t see anything that would make me think he would be a good Captain for United.

Darlington Padgett

Mad how Maguire is being dismissed as captain because of a handful of appearances in which every single player was horrendous and a thirty second clip of the Martial red card.
He was dismissed as captain since he was named captain. He's not even leading his defense let alone the team. People are questioning if he should be playing not only the captaincy. We should've never bought him, he probably works on a team that sits back and counters, on a team that's pressing and attacking in numbers he's a liability.

Steven-UK

We need a leader to be captain, and Rashford certainly ain't that, I think he's lucky to be considered a first team player.

Come to think of it, we have no leaders in the team...

meamth

OP still didn't answer me,

What do you want after we changed captain?

Enlighten us.

Tiber

Captain? You could argue he was lucky not to be dropped before his form picked up a bit recently

Paul_Scholes18

It is just a title that do not matter much. Important thing is to communicate well on the pitch and work as a team. It is the managers job to make sure of that.

patty123

I agree totally with this, he has been at United all his life, earned his way up and a total pro off the pitch too. Him being a Manc too he knows what this clubs means more than others and although doesn't score every game you can see how much it affects him when they underperform. And was the FIRST to come out after the atrocity that happened against Spurs too.
Mata use to have that look and apologize to the fans after every bad game during LVG's rein, did you also call back then, for him to be made Captain ?

Look I dont think Arry was worth the money or is the defender some make him out to be, but does that mean I want to see him acting like a raving psycho Roy Keane, no. The world has moved on from where people respond to be screamed at for a mistake and with the mentality of today's young, they are more likey to retreat into themselves more than improving after getting a verbal bashing.

As for Rashford, fair balls to him for doing a Bob Geldof, total respect for that, but it does not make the guy captain material and neither does the notion of him being a local make a case for it.

BR7

The current captain will suffice f
He was dismissed as captain since he was named captain. He's not even leading his defense let alone the team. People are questioning if he should be playing not only the captaincy. We should've never bought him, he probably works on a team that sits back and counters, on a team that's pressing and attacking in numbers he's a liability.
the problem is lindelof I promise you. I have no special love for McG but Lindelof is the worst as he can’t head a ball (so why are you a CB?) Watch the number of times he gets outjumped by little guys and he gets caught out of position? He’s the problem but Eric isn’t the answer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
too inconsistent
I don't look at individual performances to judge captaincy to be honest. A captain leads by example by way of work ethic, is able to influence his peers and get his players organised on the pitch. If he's a consistent performer on top then great but it's not the case that your best player has to be your captain, at all.

BR7

We’re on opposite sides
Mata use to have that look and apologize to the fans after every bad game during LVG's rein, did you also call back then, for him to be made Captain ?

Look I dont think Arry was worth the money or is the defender some make him out to be, but does that mean I want to see him acting like a raving psycho Roy Keane, no. The world has moved on from where people respond to be screamed at for a mistake and with the mentality of today's young, they are more likey to retreat into themselves more than improving after getting a verbal bashing.

As for Rashford, fair balls to him for doing a Bob Geldof, total respect for that, but it does not make the guy captain material and neither does the notion of him being a local make a case for it.
can’t agree patty. Roy Keane was the second best captain this club has ever had and if players can’t take rocket then put the effort in, you’re paid enough. If you put them in performance related pay they’d be up in arms. They’re having their cake and eating it too. Nah not for me, unleash Keane on them and the soft hearts will leave hopefully.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
With his form he might be a sub more often than not soon. I don't think he should start until he plays better. Captains should be automatic starters.

Smores

I love what he's doing off the pitch but Rashford does not come across as a captain choice at all. Not yet anyway.

Bruno seems to be the leader on the pitch as soon as he came in and he's fairly good with the media too.

I don't think you can take it off Maguire though as it'll do no one any good.

patty123

We’re on opposite sides

can’t agree patty. Roy Keane was the second best captain this club has ever had and if players can’t take rocket then put the effort in, you’re paid enough. If you put them in performance related pay they’d be up in arms. They’re having their cake and eating it too. Nah not for me, unleash Keane on them and the soft hearts will leave hopefully.
I agree 100% with what you are saying about unleashing the rocket, worked in the past, but no offense to the young today , they are most likely the one's who be backed and see whoever the Rocket blaster is, being forced out given the current climate with regards to what be seen and called bullying.

It's the world we live in pal, sadly there's no places anymore for the Roy the boy types in today's society without someone being offended and making an issue out of it .

jesperjaap

Not meaning to be controversial but......

What an earth has he done to deserve the captaincy? Yes he has conducted himself fantastically off the pitch..but you can say "he loves the club"....wasnt there rumours of him looking at Barcelona and options during Mourinhos period so "loves the club"...possibl a bit strong?

Most importantly though he is talented but very inconsistant, has 3 or 4 hot streaks where he is excellent but generally under peforms and as shown no leadership on the pitch....actually find it laughable people mentioning him as a captain?

Maguire was also never captain material for me. He seems to show good leadership OFF the pitch but watch it on him. He cant even organise our defence, he really isnt a captain at all.

As an individual talent, again sounding controversial, I think those three months when he first arrived were a purple patch for Fernandes. Take away the penalties and he has actually been fairly average the last few months. Dont get me wrong, I think he is a very good player, I dont actually think consistently he will prove to be a great one and certainly wont warrant comparisons he has already had with Scholes and Cantona............BUT what I absolutely love about him, he never stops working his butt off chasing people down, he is also always trying to organise and motivate players around him, you often see him pointing or telling others off. 100% he is the only player in this side that is captain material

Darlington Padgett

The current captain will suffice f

the problem is lindelof I promise you. I have no special love for McG but Lindelof is the worst as he can’t head a ball (so why are you a CB?) Watch the number of times he gets outjumped by little guys and he gets caught out of position? He’s the problem but Eric isn’t the answer.
I know, Lindelof probably gets bullied by Mata in practice, he's too soft. All of our defenders are suffering at the moment, they don't compliment each other well and tactically we're all over the place.