Glaston gem on Bayern vs Spurs

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
'domestic machines' opposed to Bayern, Juve and PSG who don't win League titles.

Of course they'd fecking challenge :lol:
They get more points in a better league than any of those clubs aside from PSG who play in the French League.

Bayern would not challenge City or Liverpool, Juve would get 80 odd points. PSG maybe 90+ but still a good bit behind the top 2.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
They get more points in a better league than any of those clubs aside from PSG who play in the French League.

Bayern would not challenge City or Liverpool, Juve would get 80 odd points. PSG maybe 90+ but still a good bit behind the top 2.
All of those three teams would comfortably dispose of any team not named City/Liverpool so we would probably have 5-team challenge. Who do you think is going to limit them to only about 80 points? The teams that finished about 30 points below the top 2? And you can't readily compare points tally context-free across different leagues the way you're doing when there are so many factors to take into consideration.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
All of those three teams would comfortably dispose of any team not named City/Liverpool so we would probably have 5-team challenge. Who do you think is going to limit them to only about 80 points? The teams that finished about 30 points below the top 2? And you can't readily compare points tally context-free across different leagues the way you're doing when there are so many factors to take into consideration.
Why the feck would Juve/Bayern’s points tallies go significantly up in a stronger league? Neither are at City or Liverpool’s level.

PSG is a maybe, but again I think Klopp/Guardiola would give City and Liverpool the edge.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Why the feck would Juve/Bayern’s points rallies go significantly up in a weaker league?
What kind of question is that?

Anyway, I think the league would finish up like 1/2. City/PSG 3/4/5. Liverpool/Juve/Bayern.

You can't toss in three good teams and project the same number of points for the top 2. The addition of three teams better than anything the league had to offer previously should be expected to reduce total points tally for the top 2. They'd all challenge, perhaps City/PSG edging it out in the end.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
To be fair, his posts are not that outrageous. Spurs are having a really torrid time with internal conflicts and a manager that has pretty much checked out. Last years spurs would not lose 2-7 to Bayern. PSG would not get close to City or Liverpool in the prem, neither would Juve or Bayern. They would easily get top 4 though.
Juve PSG and Bayern will challenge for the league and be comfortably top 4 in the EPL

Bayerns lowest point was last season under Kovac, Almost everytime Bayern has met an EPL side in the CL they dominate

Tuchels with a less talented Dortmund ran Bayern close to the title

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What kind of question is that?

Anyway, I think the league would finish up like 1/2. City/PSG 3/4/5. Liverpool/Juve/Bayern.

You can't toss in three good teams and project the same number of points for the top 2. The addition of three teams better than anything the league had to offer previously should be expected to reduce total points tally for the top 2. They'd all challenge, perhaps City/PSG edging it out in the end.

I edited it. Why would their tallies go up in a stronger league? They’re not getting city/Liverpool points tallies elsewhere, but they do in the Prem? Why?

City/Liverpool would rinse Bayern and Juve most times. PSG might get close, but I don’t see Bayern or Juve having the setup to challenge either Liverpool or city across a season.

We fundamentally disagree on how good Bayern or Juve are I think. Which might sound weird given we just got smashed 7-2, but it was a totally freak game .. nothing I’ve seen of Bayern or Juve makes me see them as on the same level as the city or Liverpool machines.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Juve PSG and Bayern will challenge for the league and be comfortably top 4 in the EPL

Bayerns lowest point was last season under Kovac, Almost everytime Bayern has met an EPL side in the CL they dominate

Tuchels with a less talented Dortmund ran Bayern close to the title
The last time Bayern faced a title challenging English team it didn’t end well, if I recall. Slapped 3-1 in your own backyard.

City are far better than you as well, and would totally control the game. Don’t let our horrendous capitulation or inability to defend fool you in to thinking this Bayern team is on Liverpool or City’s level .. it isn’t, and if you meet again in the CL knockouts that’ll be quickly obvious.

acnumber9

I edited it. Why would their tallies go up in a stronger league? They’re not getting city/Liverpool points tallies elsewhere, but they do in the Prem? Why?

City/Liverpool would rinse Bayern and Juve most times. PSG might get close, but I don’t see Bayern or Juve having the setup to challenge either Liverpool or city across a season.

We fundamentally disagree on how good Bayern or Juve are I think. Which might sound weird given we just got smashed 7-2, but it was a totally freak game .. nothing I’ve seen of Bayern or Juve makes me see them as on the same level as the city or Liverpool machines.
Competition tends to make teams better. They do what they have to do in their leagues.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why the feck would Juve/Bayern’s points tallies go significantly up in a stronger league? Neither are at City or Liverpool’s level.

PSG is a maybe, but again I think Klopp/Guardiola would give City and Liverpool the edge.
Heh.

Juve's last 4 titles:
91 points
91 points
95 points
90 points

And aside from 17/18 where napoli did push them to the limit, all the other points total are negatively affected by them winning the league early and dropping games because they could(16/17 in particular due to CL). Last season they picked up 75 points out of 81 in the first 27 games, won the league, then finished the season with 15 out of 33 in the last 11

Think last season they'd have finished behind city and liverpool, but they'd have challenged. They'd have finished real close, in the 90-95 points range. Same in 17/18 with City

Now this season, it's honestly too early to say. At the moment they're easily a couple levels below, we'll see in May

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Competition tends to make teams better. They do what they have to do in their leagues.
Bayern faced competition last season, plenty of it.

Might be an excuse for Juve/PSG but I’m seeing nothing in Europe either where I go yeah, this lot are better than a team smashing 100+ points in the prem/winning domestic trebles, or the back to back European finalists. Juventus got played with by Ajax last season, PSG knocked out by a PL team who were outside the top 4, and Bayern swept aside by Liverpool.

IMO it’s just the case that right now Liverpool and City are comfortably the two best teams in Europe, much like when Madrid/Barca were at their best. This cycle will end when Klopp and Guardiola move on.

Barca have the ability in their team to challenge that but again, aren’t as well coached.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Heh.

Juve's last 4 titles:
91 points
91 points
95 points
90 points

And aside from 17/18 where napoli did push them to the limit, all the other points total are negatively affected by them winning the league early and dropping games because they could(16/17 in particular due to CL). Last season they picked up 75 points out of 81 in the first 27 games, won the league, then finished the season with 15 out of 33 in the last 11

Think last season they'd have finished behind city and liverpool, but they'd have challenged. They'd have finished real close, in the 90-95 points range. Same in 17/18 with City

Now this season, it's honestly to early to say. At the moment they're easily a couple levels below, we'll see in May

No way Juve get close to 95 points in the Prem last season. Not even a chance.

Maybe 90, at a very big push. This is the side who Ajax made look like a bunch of children yet we’re meant to believe they’d challenge the European champions and English domestic treble winners?

No. King of the Hill in Serie A they may be, but not England.

acnumber9

Bayern faced competition last season, plenty of it.

Might be an excuse for Juve/PSG but I’m seeing nothing in Europe either where I go yeah, this lot are better than a team smashing 100+ points in the prem/winning domestic trebles, or the back to back European finalists. Juventus got played with by Ajax last season, PSG knocked out by a PL team who were outside the top 4, and Bayern swept aside by Liverpool.

IMO it’s just the case that right now Liverpool and City are comfortably the two best teams in Europe, much like when Madrid/Barca were at their best. This cycle will end when Klopp and Guardiola move on.

Barca have the ability in their team to challenge that but again, aren’t as well coached.
I’m not making a case for them being better than Liverpool or City but having to be on your toes can bring more out of some teams. They don’t have to be on it every week to win their leagues so they aren’t. Playing in a more competitive league wouldn’t necessarily mean they’d end up with less points though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This thread has been invaded by sensible people (!!)
Begone!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I’m not making a case for them being better than Liverpool or City but having to be on your toes can bring more out of some teams. They don’t have to be on it every week to win their leagues so they aren’t. Playing in a more competitive league wouldn’t necessarily mean they’d end up with less points though.
The English league isn’t even that competitive right now, it’s just Liverpool and City are miles above the rest.

And they’d be pretty far ahead of Juve and Bayern too, I reckon. I’d put more faith in Barcelona or PSG challenging than the former two.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No way Juve get close to 95 points in the Prem last season. Not even a chance.

Maybe 90, at a very big push. This is the side who Ajax made look like a bunch of children yet we’re meant to believe they’d challenge the European champions and English domestic treble winners?

No. King of the Hill in Serie A they may be, but not England.
Juventus got decimated by injuries by the time the ajax clash rolled around. And the they were made to look like children for exactly one half, after losing yet another key player(dybala) to injury at half time. Besides which, ajax were fecking great in their own right, the vast majority of PL sides weren't a patch on them. League is about consistency, and juventus were terrifyingly consistent under Conte and Allegri. Accounting for the injuries, with a bad schedule, they might have finished in the 80-90 points range. If everything went well with injuries, easily above 90. Only games they would have struggled with would have been the h2h with liverpool, city and spurs

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Juventus got decimated by injuries by the time the ajax clash rolled around. And the they were made to look like children for exactly one half, after losing yet another key player(dybala) to injury at half time. Besides which, ajax were fecking great in their own right, the vast majority of PL sides weren't a patch on them. League is about consistency, and juventus were terrifyingly consistent under Conte and Allegri. Accounting for the injuries, with a bad schedule, they might have finished in the 85-90 points range. If everything went well with injuries, easily above 90. Only games they would have struggled with would have been the h2h with liverpool, city and spurs
That's the only thing to say. PSG, Bayern and Juvenuts are league teams, they have a high floor and Liverpool/City only represent 4 games in a season, if Napoli can beat Liverpool then the other three can too and that's not what make a challenger anyway.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The English league isn’t even that competitive right now, it’s just Liverpool and City are miles above the rest.

And they’d be pretty far ahead of Juve and Bayern too, I reckon. I’d put more faith in Barcelona or PSG challenging than the former two.
League mate. They're not playing city and liverpool every week

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Juventus got decimated by injuries by the time the ajax clash rolled around. And the they were made to look like children for exactly one half, after losing yet another key player(dybala) to injury at half time. Besides which, ajax were fecking great in their own right, the vast majority of PL sides weren't a patch on them. League is about consistency, and juventus were terrifyingly consistent under Conte and Allegri. Accounting for the injuries, with a bad schedule, they might have finished in the 85-90 points range. If everything went well with injuries, easily above 90. Only games they would have struggled with would have been the h2h with liverpool, city and spurs
I just don’t rate Juve as highly as you do, sorry. Difference of opinion based on being pretty unimpressed whenever I’ve watched them, and that’s been a hell of a lot in Europe. Even when they knocked us out I was like ‘this is the team that dominates Italy? Really?’.

They’d get third 100% because us/Arsenal/Chelsea/united are a bit of a state, but I do think they’d be comfortable behind Liverpool and City and that those two would own the head to heads against Juve.

PSG/Barca are the two European teams I think could perhaps do it, though not the Barca of this season. But they have the firepower there.

Bayern again comfortably third but no more for me. But it’s all a matter of opinion till a super league inevitably gets rolled out.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
League mate. They're not playing city and liverpool every week
I think they’d both probably lose to city both home and away in the league, lose to Liverpool at anfield and wouldn’t dominate the rest of the top six like city/Liverpool do.

They might get 85-90 points but at no point do I really think they’d be in the thick of it with Liverpool or City.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

As has been said by others, most of the time these teams are cruising on to a league win without being pushed, apart from the odd small window where Napoli/Dortmund create some pressure which are seen out by them. The reason Liverpool and City finished 97/98 points is precisely because they were neck and neck majority of last season, with City chasing LFC who spent 141 days on top. Do you think City would have got 98 points if Liverpool ended up with 71/72 total points, e.g. what Chelsea/Spurs tally? And do you think the top 2 would have finished with 98/97 points if those three teams were in the EPL?

I think we disagree on this because like many EPL fans you massively underrate top teams from other leagues, while overrating the EPL. City and Liverpool are really good, but saying Juve/PSG/Bayern wouldn't challenge is crazy to me. In your game against Bayern, the score may have been freaky, with Bayern being exceptionally clinical, but the result wasn't. They are comfortably better than you.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
"Challenge" in the context i'm speaking of means keeping close. Not actually having a real chance of finishing above. Like spurs with chelsea in 16/17.

CHKBC

I am also one of those who delight in seeing Spurs crushed solely due to the antics of Glastonspur in this forum. His arrogance and ignorance is unrivalled in any Football forum and conveniently disappears when the Football club he supports is humiliated.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Glaston In India
A Netflix Production

Episode 1

TOUR GUIDE: "These are the remains of a great monastery, built in the time of the Gupta Empire."
GLASTON: "Very impressive...but it doesn't have a retractable football pitch, does it?"
TOUR GUIDE: *snores*
GLASTON: "One-nil to Spurs."

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
So the latest chemtrail here is to believe Spurs’ two or three years of nearly misses make for 100+ years of titles, records and fabulous players from Juventus and Bayern Munich? Schools in England are not what they used to be.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think we disagree on this because like many EPL fans you massively underrate top teams from other leagues, while overrating the EPL. City and Liverpool are really good, but saying Juve/PSG/Bayern wouldn't challenge is crazy to me. In your game against Bayern, the score may have been freaky, with Bayern being exceptionally clinical, but the result wasn't. They are comfortably better than you.

Imagine actually thinking City wouldn’t get as many points when the league is competitive, when they won the league the year before with 101 points miles ahead of the others. They’re just better than the likes of Juventus or Bayern and would dominate them in the Cl 8/10 times too.

Bayern weren’t even far off Dortmund last season, we saw what happened when they faced Liverpool, there’s no reason to think they’d seriously challenge Liverpool/city other than one freak group result against a team in crisis.

And yes, Bayern are comfortably better than us. But city and Liverpool are comfortably better than them. There’s a huge gap between the top 2 in the premier league and the rest of the top 6.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
The last time Bayern faced a title challenging English team it didn’t end well, if I recall. Slapped 3-1 in your own backyard.

City are far better than you as well, and would totally control the game. Don’t let our horrendous capitulation or inability to defend fool you in to thinking this Bayern team is on Liverpool or City’s level .. it isn’t, and if you meet again in the CL knockouts that’ll be quickly obvious.
Last seasons Bayern is probably the weakest in a decade, Bayern has rinsed City Arsenal Man Utd multiple times in the last decade

There is no way Bayern will be in the EPL for the past decade and wont win at least 3 league titles, ditto for Juve and PSG. If teams like Leicester could win

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
They’re just better than the likes of Juventus or Bayern and would dominate them in the Cl 8/10 times too.
City would dominate Juve/Bayern 8/10 times in the CL? With all due respect, that's mental!

I don't think City would dominate you 8/10 times in the CL, let alone Juve/Bayern. I'm sure you remember your tie against them last season. The season before there was a deliberate push in the last few weeks to go for the record, when 90-ish was enough. This is what I was saying: you can't divorce it all from context. But in any case I'm now realising we're not even close in how we rate teams like Juve for this discussion to get anywhere at all.

Supports
England
Not very high quality yet 3 of them were in a European final last season.

If anything the PL has caught up with La Liga with the rest of the teams being better. I reckon the middle of the PL (about 8th-15th) is stronger than it has ever been.
I think the fact that all 4 European finalists - and therefore both CL and EL winners - were from the PL last season (first time a league has ever managed it?) is the most significant thing. Didn't we have 2 or 3 finalists the year before as well? I fully expect an English CL finalist again this season. The PL is cycling back to a new wave of dominance.

Using current Spurs as a benchmark for the quality of the PL - as many here are doing - is stupid. They've been in bottom half form throughout 2019. They beat Ajax while consistently losing to teams like Burnley, which is either an indictment of how bad the rest of Europe is or evidence of how good the PL is. Realistically, people should be treating a result against Spurs as a result against the middle of the PL, which puts "where would they hypothetically finish in the PL?" questions in perspective.

Last edited:

Supports
England
Probably because they didn't take you that seriously? :D
Yeah that was totally it.
I get that this is all a joke. A team desperate for a CL doesn't treat any knockout round less than 100% seriously -- and their particularly desperate goalkeeper doesn't let himself get rounded by Harry Kane because it's funny somehow. Chiellini is just a troll and/or piece of shit, depending on your perspective. Can confirm, however, that Juve were either not tremendously impressive or that Spurs were just better than them when they met in the CL.

(Of course, they met again in the Car Cup in preseason this year and not much had changed: Kane showed up Ronaldo's little tap ins with his one-touch, no-look halfway-line tap in to seal a very tight 3-2 win -- which should rightfully alarm Spurs fans as they continue to wonder WTF is happening as well as anyone who doesn't believe the PL is back on top after Crisis Spurs beat Juve, Real and Bayern in preseason)

As a neutral who watched both CL legs, Spurs were absolutely the better team across the tie. I vividly remember Kane and Eriksen just running the show on a night that announced to the world that Spurs (the tragically missing iteration of Spurs) were here to go shoulder to shoulder with the big boys of Europe. (The defence then disappearing for ten minutes to throw away all the good work done in front of them now seems much more familiar though)

I don't like to apply the word "deserve" (or any conjugation thereof) to football because it can be inflammatory but it's patently obvious that in football, more than most sports, the technically, tactically and spiritually superior team often doesn't win. Insofar as the term "deserves" applies to football, Spurs deserved to win that tie against Juve. They outplayed Juve in every way for 150+ minutes. Spurs deserved to win that one even more than they deserved not to win the one against Ajax last season.

Last edited:

Eric7C

Mods, please ban all the tone-deaf posters discussing Spurs in this thread. This is about the great Glaston.

Supports
England
Mods, please ban all the tone-deaf posters discussing Spurs in this thread. This is about the great Glaston.
Glaston is a low-IQ meme though. The high-IQ meme to discuss is Spurs.