Glaston gem on Bayern vs Spurs

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I kind of agree with you, I think (I don't actually, I think you overestimate the impact of squad packing on team's results in different leagues), but I think we are arguing different points, so let me restate mine.

CL success or progress is, on its own, an inadequate metric of a team's quality. That was my original point.

Do you agree with that?
Give these god squads top tier xi's and the fallbacks we used to have in league football, and these 'phenomenal' point accumulations would be a thing of the past. When you have a squad that's almost like for like in every position, you can take risks, you can be bolder and you can navigate through injury in a way that wasn't possible when squad management had severe consequences when done incorrectly. I'm not lambasting these sides, per se, but perspective is important and the coincidence of everything going up at the rate it has should not be a surprise when side are stacked to the eyeballs with players who have no business being stand-ins. Supplementing your star players with fresh legs in rotation who aren't a step down in quality is also hugely beneficial, which 'artificially' boosts numbers, too. We see this in evidence when all the uberness is stripped away and these same players go off to international competition and, unsurprisingly, look like lesser versions of themselves as opposed to the past, where there was barely any difference in performance level between club and international football for practically all of football prior to uberism.

To your question: Repeat performance, competing and proving against the best of the best is as solid a measure as destroying league competition who haven't a prayer of competing with you, which is why a City, PSG and what have you, are not to be hailed as special until they transfer what they do from the comfort of stacking, to the real setting against sides who can and do fight back. If City end their dominance of the league with nothing to show in Europe, they will be the biggest incongruence we've ever seen as all other dominant English league winners from times yore, displayed solid wares in Europe with only Chelsea not winning it (CL/EC) at the same time as being the top dog domestically (but winning it nonetheless).

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There is a perfectly valid reason that Glaston has escaped a permanent ban all these years, that being: he is not a real boy. He is, in fact, a parody account created by the mods out of sheer boredom to mess with us fine upstanding caftards.

Truth.
Glaston is a real person who was once doxxed on here.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Give these god squads top tier xi's and the fallbacks we used to have in league football, and these 'phenomenal' point accumulations would be a thing of the past. When you have a squad that's almost like for like in every position, you can take risks, you can be bolder and you can navigate through injury in a way that wasn't possible when squad management had severe consequences when done incorrectly. I'm not lambasting these sides, per se, but perspective is important and the coincidence of everything going up at the rate it has should not be a surprise when side are stacked to the eyeballs with players who have no business being stand-ins. Supplementing your star players with fresh legs in rotation who aren't a step down in quality is also hugely beneficial, which 'artificially' boosts numbers, too. We see this in evidence when all the uberness is stripped away and these same players go off to international competition and, unsurprisingly, look like lesser versions of themselves as opposed to the past, where there was barely any difference in performance level between club and international football for practically all of football prior to uberism.

To your question: Repeat performance, competing and proving against the best of the best is as solid a measure as destroying league competition who haven't a prayer of competing with you, which is why a City, PSG and what have you, are not to be hailed as special until they transfer what they do from the comfort of stacking, to the real setting against sides who can and do fight back. If City end their dominance of the league with nothing to show in Europe, they will be the biggest incongruence we've ever seen as all other dominant English league winners from times yore, displayed solid wares in Europe with only Chelsea not winning it (CL/EC) at the same time as being the top dog domestically (but winning it nonetheless).
I'm an idiot, what's uberism?

Not in recent years. Chelsea's best teams never won it, being knocked out by inferior league competition. Arsenal... No. Only United's best teams had significant accomplishments in the PL and CL simultaneously.

But if you don't consider Chelsea 05/06 a top side in Europe because they were knocked out by Barcelona, or you don't consider Juventus a top side in Europe because they were knocked out by Ajax last season... It's your right. It's just a really myopic way of looking at things. That is all, I'm saying.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Not in recent years. Chelsea's best teams never won it, being knocked out by inferior league competition. Arsenal... No. Only United's best teams had significant accomplishments in the PL and CL simultaneously.

But if you don't consider Chelsea 05/06 a top side in Europe because they were knocked out by Barcelona, or you don't consider Juventus a top side in Europe because they were knocked out by Ajax last season... It's your right. It's just a really myopic way of looking at things. That is all, I'm saying.
It should be pretty clear throughout my posts that winning it is not a pre-requisite, but mixing it at the very top is, which City don't even manage to do (nor PSG) Chelsea in their peak years were robbed, also, which is well documented. I also have posts that pre-date this thread by some time, which outline my stance and also made a compendium thread of great teams throughout history, some of whom didn't go all the way and win the trophy they contested, so no, winning isn't the be all and end all, but competing and matching those who do, is. That's the barometer for all teams with the rankings obviously being sorted by winners over the losers, ultimately. Holland '74 can never be above their conquerors, for example.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We were so much better in 16/17 as a team than 18/19, but we went out of the groups in the former and got to the final in the latter.

Knockout competitions, especially ones in which away goals can be decisive, are incredibly unpredictable and a terrible way to evaluate a team. We were also better in 17/18 and went out first round, but our performance against Juve was actually better over two legs than the ones vs City. We just didn’t get those breaks.

It’s what makes the champions league so entertaining, but it shouldn’t be used as a reliable barometer of how strong a team is. City last season were a couple of bad moments away from a semi final, and from there anything can happen, absolutely anything. The year before Liverpool had ALL the decisions go their way in their tie and when all the key moments don’t go for you, the scoreline can look skewed.

City might not have recent success in Europe but they’ll still be my favourite this season, because I believe they’re the best squad in Europe. They may well lose in a one off game on away goals or because of a great one off display from another team or whatever, but I’d still have them as the strongest side.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We were so much better in 16/17 as a team than 18/19, but we went out of the groups in the former and got to the final in the latter.

Knockout competitions, especially ones in which away goals can be decisive, are incredibly unpredictable and a terrible way to evaluate a team. We were also better in 17/18 and went out first round, but our performance against Juve was actually better over two legs than the ones vs City. We just didn’t get those breaks.

It’s what makes the champions league so entertaining, but it shouldn’t be used as a reliable barometer of how strong a team is.
If they were incredibly unpredictable the teams expected to win them wouldn't do so more than those that don't as some malady, by the law of averages, would beset them.

Truth is, it usually takes one hell of a performance to alter the predetermined course of these major tournaments and have the favourites knocked out, unless they face each other, of course, and lopside the draw.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
If they were incredibly unpredictable the teams expected to win them wouldn't do so more than those that don't as some malady, by the law of averages, would beset them.

Truth is, it usually takes one hell of a performance to alter the predetermined course of these major tournaments and have the favourites knocked out, unless they face each other, of course, and lopside the draw.
Truer words were never spoken!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Madrid seem to have had a knack for it, but were they really the best team in Europe? Their struggles domestically would suggest otherwise. Some teams just seem to be set up better for knockout competitions.

Liverpool also obviously aren’t better than City but are champions. A stronger side is always likely going to win, but not always the strongest because the margins are so fine. Last season could so easily have been City’s year had a couple of big moments gone their way against us. Going out on away goals is seriously harsh too, and we did that to both them and Ajax!

Withnail

At the risk of joining in the derailment, I'm not sure what he means by that but it's not a real word as far as I'm aware.

adexkola

Supports
Madrid seem to have had a knack for it, but were they really the best team in Europe? Their struggles domestically would suggest otherwise. Some teams just seem to be set up better for knockout competitions.

Liverpool also obviously aren’t better than City but are champions. A stronger side is always likely going to win, but not always the strongest because the margins are so fine. Last season could so easily have been City’s year had a couple of big moments gone their way against us. Going out on away goals is seriously harsh too, and we did that to both them and Ajax!
It really comes down to me vetting any metric of quality against the scenario where this Madrid is better than a Barcelona team that regularly mops the floor with them in direct head to head competition as well as in the league. The squad stacking argument doesn't fly here because both teams aren't exactly paupers.

Suedesi

@Fortitude more derailment, yay!!!

1. It's never been nonsense. Liverpool in 2005, Chelsea in 2012. Schalke in 2011. Shoot... City, the year they made the semis, were worse than any iteration of Pep's City after his first year with them. Conversely, look at how United have been fecked over in years where our quality could not be argued against. 2010 against Bayern. SAF's last year against Real. There is too much volatility for me personally to take it as a sole indicator of quality unless it is augmented with accompanying evidence. Others see it differently and that's cool, I just classify such viewpoints as myopic

2. Eh, sometimes. Look at Atletico's title run in 2014, Leicester's title run in, last year's PL title race. Pressure can exist in both cup and league competitions.

The ultimate crown of quality for me is a clean double sweep, sure. Anything short of that is up to interpretation. A CL final appearance alone or a trophy isn't cutting it.
Next you're going to say a football match is too volatile to indicate quality, let's just compare training stats or Youtube videos ;)

Eric7C

What a shock; Spurs and Arsenal fans arguing that the CL is not all that.

Suedesi

It’s what makes the champions league so entertaining, but it shouldn’t be used as a reliable barometer of how strong a team is. City last season were a couple of bad moments away from a semi final, and from there anything can happen, absolutely anything. The year before Liverpool had ALL the decisions go their way in their tie and when all the key moments don’t go for you, the scoreline can look skewed.

City might not have recent success in Europe but they’ll still be my favourite this season, because I believe they’re the best squad in Europe. They may well lose in a one off game on away goals or because of a great one off display from another team or whatever, but I’d still have them as the strongest side.
You might have been better in the Premiership, but there's a learning curve in Europe that takes a few years to master. United used to brush away domestic oppo in the mid 90's and were routinely coming up short in Europe. There's a different rhythm, subtlety, tactics, nous required in Europe. Until City master those, they cannot be considered the best in Europe a priori.

adexkola

Supports

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What a shock; Spurs and Arsenal fans arguing that the CL is not all that.
This makes zero sense. We got to the final of the CL last season, why would it make sense for me to play it down? It’s not like we’re stupidly successful domestically either. Might make sense if I was downplaying winning just .. anything.

Also I don’t think @adexkola is actually an Arsenal fan.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You might have been better in the Premiership, but there's a learning curve in Europe that takes a few years to master. United used to brush away domestic oppo in the mid 90's and were routinely coming up short in Europe. There's a different rhythm, subtlety, tactics, nous required in Europe. Until City master those, they cannot be considered the best in Europe a priori.
Would they still not be the best team though, even if they don’t necessarily have the knack in the CL format? Just like we were a better team in 16/17 but just didn’t have that nous yet. That team was still superior though, in every respect.

If a European league was set up for example and City would win that (hypothetically) but still lose in the CL, would they be the best or not?

I generally take the league more seriously as a reliable barometer of where a team is at. Liverpool won the CL but we know domestically City were the slightly better side.

But I get where you’re coming from. As a side you have to make your mark in the CL to be considered truly ‘great’, whether that’s fair or not, it’s the reality. But despite that I would still have that City side as the ‘strongest’ in Europe.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It really comes down to me vetting any metric of quality against the scenario where this Madrid is better than a Barcelona team that regularly mops the floor with them in direct head to head competition as well as in the league. The squad stacking argument doesn't fly here because both teams aren't exactly paupers.
13/14 87 points(while throwing a game and dealing with injuries, fitness, and most of all having our focus entirely on CL by the end)
H2H against barcelona: loss at camp nou early in the season when we were still figuring things out. 3-4 loss at the bernabeu with game-deciding horror-show by the ref. 2-1 win(and the score hugely flatters barcelona) in Copa del Rey final. That loss at the bernabeu btw probably cost us the league, and, well. We were denied two penalties, Busquets wasn't sent off after walking on Pepe's head, and game-deciding play(neymar penalty+red card for ramos) was A) offside and B) not a penalty. We did get a penalty that was actually a free kick though so i guess that balances out all the rest.....point here being, 11 vs 11 we were the better team, as we showed them in the Cup final, without Cristiano even

15/16 90 points, after half a season of benitez(18P 37 points, 0-4 battering in home clasico). Won 2-1 at Camp Nou, with 10 men

16/17 won the league. Drew at the death at camp nou(1-1, Ramos) and lost 3-2 at home. Messi playing perhaps his best game ever when accounting for the level of opposition

17/18 yeah, no arguments here

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm gonna be honest guys I tried to do a nice thing for you by starting this thread and you're ruining it, you hear me? YOU'RE RUINING IT!! :mad::mad::mad:

Stocar

Knockout competitions produce all sorts of false patterns for mythopoetically inclined fans to feast upon. Just ignore the blatant inconsistencies, squint long enough, and conveniently simple narrative will surely emerge.

My favorite is theory of club's European gravitas as the crucial occult factor in epic battles. This line of thinking is actually less stupid than the other ones. The worst one is a story of knockout football as the stage for truly elite tacticians vs mere squad depth in league football.

Last edited:

Eric7C

Nah, @Suedesi is a United fan.
Look at the years you've picked out: 2005, 2012, 2010 (no shame in going out to a Robben screamer). Few and far between. What about all the other years? What about United reaching the finals in 2009 and 2011 to lose to the greatest football team ever put together? Those were the two great teams of that era. Almost every other year, too, the favorites have been there or there about. Don't look down on Madrid's triple triumph - that was achieved with a prime Ronaldo in the team, not to mention Modric.

It takes quality and a certain big game winning temperament to win the CL. These are huge pressure cooker games; City simply don't have the mental resolve to win it. Yet.

Anyway, not getting sucked into a thread about this.

So here goes. Glaston :lol:

Suedesi

Would they still not be the best team though, even if they don’t necessarily have the knack in the CL format?

If a European league was set up for example and City would win that (hypothetically) but still lose in the CL, would they be the best or not?

I generally take the league more seriously as a reliable barometer of where a team is at. Liverpool won the CL but we know domestically City were the slightly better side.

But I get where you’re coming from. As a side you have to make your mark in the CL to be considered truly ‘great’, whether that’s fair or not, it’s the reality. But despite that I would still have that City side as the ‘strongest’ in Europe.
I don't think City would win a European league to begin with. They're not that good is my point. They've figured out how to bully teams in England, but everytime they reach the knockout stages of the CL, Pep shits the bed with his tactics and goes ultra conservative which suggests to me that he's not confident in his teams abilities.

Their away record is shocking (in fact feel free to add Pep's Bayern record in the mix if you'd like), which tells me City are are great at beating the likes of Watford and Burnley and Newcastle easily home and away but struggle when they meet the likes of Monaco or Liverpool in Europe.

Also, they won the league by 1 point and went out in the quarters, but they're somehow better than the team that actually won the CL and came up short by 16 centimeters in the league? Nah.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ok we've had our fun.

Back to Glaston.

I'd laugh but it feels like bullying at this point sigh

He will have the last laugh when our new stadium eventually leads us to unparalleled domestic and European success.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think City would win a European league to begin with. They're not that good is my point. They've figured out how to bully teams in England, but everytime they reach the knockout stages of the CL, Pep shits the bed with his tactics and goes ultra conservative which suggests to me that he's not confident in his teams abilities.

Their away record is shocking (in fact feel free to add Pep's Bayern record in the mix if you'd like), which tells me City are are great at beating the likes of Watford and Burnley and Newcastle easily home and away but struggle when they meet the likes of Monaco or Liverpool in Europe.

Also, they won the league by 1 point and went out in the quarters, but they're somehow better than the team that actually won the CL and came up short by 16 centimeters in the league? Nah.
They went out to us in Europe .. the team they beat home and away. Their record against the top six (including Liverpool) in the league is exceptional.

Away domestically they’re dominant, they beat basically everyone aside from Liverpool, and they were a missed pen away from that as well.

They were stupidly close to advancing to the semis and also won the domestic treble and were unbeaten vs Liverpool. But because Liverpool won a knockout comp they’re better? Nah .. not for me.

But anyway will leave it there because people want this thread to stay making fun of poor ol Glaston.

Stocar

They won (and in most cases comprehensively outplayed) vs all the top teams in England, including glorious European finalists and even more glorious champions. One point difference doesn't really tell the true story as they were much better than Liverpool who were great, but obviously overachieved. Stats clearly indicate this.

Now, there is something about their coach getting in wrong in Europe in recent years. But it's not about getting it wrong tactically. It's exactly the opposite: investing too much into tactics, preparations and control, instead of going with the flow and trying to catch momentum. Keeping it simple would probably yield better results fot City in these ties that are more about momentum (and sometimes sheer chaos) than control. And in addition they really had everything going wrong way for them.

There's a reason City are bookies' favorites in all competitions. They are quite obviously the best footballing side in Europe. Again, in knockout competition that doesn't guarantee anything.

Suedesi

They went out to us in Europe .. the team they beat home and away. Their record against the top six (including Liverpool) in the league is exceptional.

Away domestically they’re dominant, they beat basically everyone aside from Liverpool, and they were a missed pen away from that as well.

They were stupidly close to advancing to the semis and also won the domestic treble and were unbeaten vs Liverpool. But because Liverpool won a knockout comp they’re better? Nah .. not for me.

But anyway will leave it there because people want this thread to stay making fun of poor ol Glaston.

Again, they haven't impressed me in Europe. They barely topped a group containing Lyon, Shakhtar and Hoffenheim, beat the easiest team in the knockouts Schalke and got promptly knocked by the first semi decent team they met. They didn't play a so-called big team all competition, no Barca, Real, Atleti, Bayern, Dortmund, Juve, Napoli, PSG they just swept a bunch of third tier teams. The same was true for their other cups:

FA Cup they beat Rotherham, Burnley, Newport, Swansea (barely), Brighton and Watford. Not a single big team
EFL they beat Oxford, Fulham, LCFC (pen), Burton Albion and Chelsea on the final (on penalties)

Suedesi

They won (and in most cases comprehensively outplayed) vs all the top teams in England, including glorious European finalists and even more glorious champions. One point difference doesn't really tell the true story as they were much better than Liverpool who were great, but obviously overachieved. Stats clearly indicate this.

Now, there is something about their coach getting in wrong in Europe in recent years. But it's not about getting it wrong tactically. It's exactly the opposite: investing too much into tactics, preparations and control, instead of going with the flow and trying to catch momentum. Keeping it simple would probably yield better results fot City in these ties that are more about momentum (and sometimes sheer chaos) than control. And in addition they really had everything going wrong way for them.

There's a reason City are bookies' favorites in all competitions. They are quite obviously the best footballing side in Europe. Again, in knockout competition that doesn't guarantee anything.
Let's agree to disagree.

cyberman

An ultimate goal only 2 teams have accomplished in the past 4 years. In only one of those years did the CL champion win their league. You see why I don't put as much stock in it as you've have?
But the top sides sides are making a run at it though. You can't argue how random cup competitions are then say it's so hard to win since few teams do. This point doesn't make sense with the statement you've made.
The elite compete in the business end of the CL, few upsets actually occur in CL knockout games and the top sides usually go out to each other. City go out in end to end tennis games against inferior opposition while conceding goals like nobodys business.
City have an amazing squad that comes into play in league competition, they can lose KDB for a season and not feel it because they bring in Silva etc and off they go again. CL games come down to 11 players and three subs, the advantage is lessened it becomes more nuanced.
Pep consistently falls down here and it looks more and more as if top elite competition has passed him by

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Genius :lol::lol::lol:

Love how you got 2-7 in there too as part of the number. Not sure what the other numbers represent. :D
Ah feck it. It was supposed to be like "I 'ate losing 2-7" but I just realized it says "loosing". That's a little aggravating, shoud've stuck to the Hindi:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

OK a prime example is Juventus of the 90's - almost universally agreed upon as the best team in Europe despite only winning the CL once in the entire decade. Still, they were the team to beat, and the team others did beat to win the Cup. Other teams were measured by performance against them (we came of age with/because of them, for instance and Ajax were all the more exalted because of beating them of all teams in the final of their incredible campaign.) Different teams have taken their place at the top of the CL totem and are hailed as the best in Europe/the world for that period of time. League form/performance are not the measure of these sides, but what they do against other giants in highly pressurized, high stakes games, and the frequency with which a top team executes this gauges them and gives pedigree that is universally acknowledged and held in far higher esteem than battering a league (of majority inferiors) from pillar to post. League in conjunction with CL performance has merit, but without that CL confirmation, a league campaign in this day and age has caveats to it that were not there in decades gone by.

At the risk of joining in the derailment, I'm not sure what he means by that but it's not a real word as far as I'm aware.
:lol: can a man not make up words in peace!?
Exactly. We took our lumps and were exposed numerous times before getting the hang of it and becoming a force in our own right. Nobody in Europe gave two hoots about what we did or did not do domestically.

I'm gonna be honest guys I tried to do a nice thing for you by starting this thread and you're ruining it, you hear me? YOU'RE RUINING IT!! :mad::mad::mad:
:lol: You're right, and I should be on my way!
Knockout competitions produce all sorts of false patterns for mythopoetically inclined fans to feast upon. Just ignore the blatant inconsistencies, squint long enough, and conveniently simple narrative will surely emerge.

My favorite is theory of club's European gravitas as the crucial occult factor in epic battles. This line of thinking is actually less stupid than the other ones. The worst one is a story of knockout football as the stage for truly elite tacticians vs mere squad depth in league football.
And yet, PSG, City, Barcelona and Juventus would trade their domestic dominance for true dominance against associative peers. With that comes pressure, nerves and performances that let them down on the big stage time and time again. Let's just ignore that whilst it accumulates over literal years - the same years where they are repeatedly battering their own leagues whilst coming up short in the tournament they most covet.

The only yardstick in England at the moment that isn't City is Liverpool. Liverpool ran them to the wire and constantly perform better than them in Europe. There's a mental block in Europe for City that is born out of pressure to perform and you have to do some impressive mental gymnastics to play it down. Pep ties himself in knots in the CL for a reason, knots he has no connection to in domestic football.

You're contradicting yourself in the middle paragraph - The CL isn't an altered beast, yet Pep suddenly loses his mind when faced with the pressure his standing demands of him in it?

As for City being favourites: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/why...he-gall-to-talk-about-city-quadruples.445883/

every season, the same nonsense. City have done the square root of feck all to be considered favourites by anyone but shrewd bookmakers taking easy money off believers. Almost like the cult of Pep.