Glaston gem on Bayern vs Spurs

Johan07

Absolutely not. He was a huge WUM. He would take you around in circles, shifting goalposts all the time in discussions.

I have been going to various forums for 15yrs. He is the first of only 2 people I've ever put on ignore. Couldn't tolerate his BS.
I dont buy that. The WUM ting, its too much effort for what?
I think Glaston is a very compassionate Spurs supporter and even if I dont completely get the reasons why he is on here on an opposite fan forum; I kind of hope its because the Caf is an inclusive forum that accepts other clubs fans.
I am so shocked with myself that I am defending him on here, giving our history. But I kind of respect his dedication. IMO a lot of our supporters should do the same. Not application-wise maybe; but like with the attitude.

mav_9me

I think Glaston is a very compassionate Spurs supporter and even if I dont completely get the reasons why he is on here on an opposite fan forum; I kind of hope its because the Caf is an inclusive forum that accepts other clubs fans.
I am so shocked with myself that I am defending him on here, giving our history. But I kind of respect his dedication. IMO a lot of our supporters should do the same. Not application-wise maybe; but like with the attitude.
I don't think he is intentionally wumming. I wasn't clear. I think he just liked to argue but it was in a manner imo which would be very patronizing and of course shifting goalposts all the time.

Eric7C

What, blindly support the club no matter how poorly it's run or how much the board/manager/players let it down? No, thank you. That's not a supporter, that's a fanatic.

Suedesi

Nope back in 2002-2005 with the original ultra wum Davo or devilish writing his bizarre anecdotes about meetings with fergie, yorke and beckham (see classics thread) and more. THOSE were the days oh young one.
I miss Davo and AnExtremelyBoringMan.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nope back in 2002-2005 with the original ultra wum Davo or devilish writing his bizarre anecdotes about meetings with fergie, yorke and beckham (see classics thread) and more. THOSE were the days oh young one.
@devilish used to come up with some interesting stuff. Hes been pissed off with the club as they haven't been back to Malta since he stalked the players last time they visited.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Spurs and Chelsea are probably the best two sides in England outside of the top two, and there are probably 5-6 teams at a minimum in Europe better than those two....and I think I'm being very generous limiting it to that number. Chelsea struggled against Valencia.

Last season in the CL was a freak really. Spurs and United could barely have complained if they went out in the group stage. United aren't better than PSG but beat them anyway. Spurs aren't better than City but beat them anyway. Athletico and Juve drew each other then Juve lost to Ajax. Liverpool are a good team but if you were picking the best two sides in the competition City are the only other English side even worthy of a mention.

The Europa League is the Europa League.
You're playing down the English teams using you own opinions. Last season was a freak? How convenient to say when the English teams were crushing it. How else are you going to compare the leagues if not using the recent competition in which the teams faced each other?

Europa League is the Europa League? Weren't you quoting my post on midtable teams? It's not the top teams that are playing in the Europa League.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Europa League is the Europa League? Weren't you quoting my post on midtable teams? It's not the top teams that are playing in the Europa League.
Chelsea and arsenal finished 3rd and 5th in the PL last season, how were they midtable?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
@devilish used to come up with some interesting stuff. Hes been pissed off with the club as they haven't been back to Malta since he stalked the players last time they visited.
Sir Alex is gone and so are most of our supporters club's clout in Manchester. Also these days players would only come for a visit if you pay them good money. I'm not referring to the kids but also to the United way guys (not Gaz to be fair)

Ps malta has just become United's official destination a deal which will cost the country 20m

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
You're playing down the English teams using you own opinions. Last season was a freak? How convenient to say when the English teams were crushing it. How else are you going to compare the leagues if not using the recent competition in which the teams faced each other?
The truth lies in the middle. Spurs reaching the final was definitley a freak result, Liverpool not so much.

City and Pool are probably the 2 best sides in Europe right now (ofc because they have the 2 best managers in the world). The rest of the PL does not even compare to them. Its a bit like Barca and Real in Spain or Dortmund and Bayern in Germany.

Snow

Chelsea and arsenal finished 3rd and 5th in the PL last season, how were they midtable?
Chelsea entered last season from a lower position. You can't refer to them as a 3rd place team based on their finish when you're referring to them during the season, the finish hasn't happened yet. Mid table is most about 6-14, i.e. the middle of the table. Could be 7-15 but personally outside the top 5 and relegation battle is mid table for me.

Snow

The truth lies in the middle. Spurs reaching the final was definitley a freak result, Liverpool not so much.

City and Pool are probably the 2 best sides in Europe right now (ofc because they have the 2 best managers in the world). The rest of the PL does not even compare to them. Its a bit like Barca and Real in Spain or Dortmund and Bayern in Germany.
It's not because Atletico compares to Real and Barca but Bayern stand on their own.

Also the teams that aren't Bayern have been absolute garbage in Europe for the previous few seasons. Especially in the EL where our specific comparisons are being made. Spain have historically done well there as they've had the overall stronger league but the PL has caught up in that area. The top PL teams in EL are easily compareable to the weakest teams from Italy, Germany and Spain in the CL.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea entered last season from a lower position.
Yeah, 5th.

You can't refer to them as a 3rd place team based on their finish when you're referring to them during the season, the finish hasn't happened yet.
They were a top 4 side all throughout the season?

Mid table is most about 6-14, i.e. the middle of the table. Could be 7-15 but personally outside the top 5 and relegation battle is mid table for me.
Even so, neither arsenal nor chelsea were outside the top 5 last season though? They were between 3rd and 5th all season long

Anyways, sure, if you want to call the 6th of the PL top six as a midtable side, then sure. We can say that the PL has one midtable side that is better than midtable sides in other leagues

Snow

Yeah, 5th.

They were a top 4 side all throughout the season?

Even so, neither arsenal nor chelsea were outside the top 5 last season though? They were between 3rd and 5th all season long

Anyways, sure, if you want to call the 6th of the PL top six as a midtable side, then sure. We can say that the PL has one midtable side that is better than midtable sides in other leagues
Chelsea aren't a midtable team but the EL is filled with teams of that ilk and the English teams that participate in that competitions are mostly better than the majority of them. Chelsea were playing in the EL because they finished outside the top 4 and they finished outside the top 4 because the English league is strong, much stronger than the lazy comparisons between leagues led on that I was arguing against.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea aren't a midtable team but the EL is filled with teams of that ilk and the English teams that participate in that competitions are mostly better than the majority of them. Chelsea were playing in the EL because they finished outside the top 4 and they finished outside the top 4 because the English league is strong, much stronger than the lazy comparisons between leagues led on that I was arguing against.
The only english sides who did well in EL recently have been liverpool, united, arsenal and chelsea

Not exactly the midtable sides...

Snow

The only english sides who did well in EL recently have been liverpool, united, arsenal and chelsea

Not exactly the midtable sides...
You're not reading the context at all here. Context being that EL is a midtable competition and the person I was answering said England was the same as Spain and Germany where there are two teams and the rest is way worse, like the rest in one league was on par with the rest in the other league. That was a response to me saying that the rest of the teams that aren't in the CL, or midtable, are now stronger in the PL than they were before. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, United... one of those will finish 6th or even lower. Much better teams than even the 4th in Germany, never mind 6th.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Bayer just lost at home to Hoffenheim.

Do I draw big conclusions from this? No. But neither do I draw big conclusions from Spurs being battered the other night by Bayern.

It's football - shit happens. But only fools create knee-jerk threads like this based on a single game. And only bizarre fools personalise the discussion by including named posters in thread titles.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Bayer just lost at home to Hoffenheim.

Do I draw big conclusions from this? No. But neither do I draw big conclusions from Spurs being battered the other night by Bayern.

It's football - shit happens. But only fools create knee-jerk threads like this based on a single game. And only bizarre fools personalise the discussion by including named posters in thread titles.
It's clear that Spurs have serious issues this season though, it's not just injuries and one off games, it's the general level of performances. You lost to Newcastle at home, got battered by Brighton and lost at Leicester while also surrendering a two goal lead at Olympiakos in CL, all within a month and a half. You have had one genuinely good performance in the league so far. It's not a knee jerk, it's a valid concern and Bayern and Brighton games were culmination of what has gone on since the season started.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leave it to Glaston to equate Spurs collapsing in embarassing fashions in one of the biggest games they might have all season and coincidentally the actual matchup of his original comparison with Bayern messing up a nothing game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Leave it to Glaston to equate Spurs collapsing in embarassing fashions in one of the biggest games they might have all season and coincidentally the actual matchup of his original comparison with Bayern messing up a nothing game.
Yep and leave it to Glaston to not show his face around here until he has the thinnest comeback known to the CAF

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yep and leave it to Glaston to not show his face around here until he has the thinnest comeback known to the CAF
Yep, it was 1 whole day since I commented on our defeat to Brighton. Shocking isn't it.

And apparently Spurs losing to Bayern proves that the latter would easily finish in the Prem top 4, whilst Bayern losing at home to Hoffenheim is to be entirely disregarded.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yep, it was 1 whole day since I commented on our defeat to Brighton. Shocking isn't it.

And apparently Spurs losing to Bayern proves that the latter would easily finish in the Prem top 4, whilst Bayern losing at home to Hoffenheim is to be entirely disregarded.

Bayern would easily finish top 4 in the Prem though, in fairness.

They’re definitely more competent than us, Arsenal, United or Chelsea.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Bayern would easily finish top 4 in the Prem though, in fairness.

They’re definitely more competent than us, Arsenal, United or Chelsea.
Bayern don't face the week in week out competition they'd get in the Prem - they'd be in the dog-fight for top 4 along with the rest of us. But it's entirely unproveable either way.