Music Glastonbury 2022

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Glasto is definitely heading away from rock acts/bands etc. all headliners were solo artists. It’s a shame really because there is space for everything but Eaves is catering more and more towards middle class gen z folk and unfortunately a lot of that generation wouldn’t know what a guitar was if you smashed it over their head.
Not sure it's a case of Glastonbury moving away from rock acts so much as there being a general lack of headline-size rock acts who have emerged in the last decade or so, with Glastonbury just reflecting that.

Looking at the rock bands who are headlining other festivals across Europe this year, I'm not sure there are that many you could book to headline Glastonbury who wouldn't make the line-up look too "dad rock" if replacing the likes of Kendrick/Eilish.

Even in terms of the most critically praised albums of recent years, there's been a skew towards solo acts and most of the rock acts who do get some buzz seem to be smaller indie ones.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm a bit annoyed actually, they played my two favourite tracks of theirs toward the end - I Love You and Jackie Down The Line - at a fecking hundred miles an hour. Completely ruined.

Was there really any need? The rest of the set seemed to be at the usual tempo... It felt like they wanted to just get them out of the way :confused:
They were feeding off the crowd. It was electric and I think they got Caught up in it.
I certainly didn't notice, but I was too busy dancing to care to be honest :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Had a weird experience of catching up on Glastonbury highlights on telly, getting engrossed by a really random band I’ve never seen before then going to a gig in Dublin and seeing them walk out on stage as support for the main act.

Gabriels was the support, Michael Kiwanuka the main. Both of them put on a hell of a show.

ZupZup

Can’t believe I am back to work today. Feel like I haven’t caught up on enough sleep.

Such a great festival. Glorious weather and plenty of brilliant acts.

Kendrick Lamar was brilliant. McCartney’s set finished on a high but probably went on too long for me… could have trimmed it down a bit. Fair play for having the stamina for it at 80 though. Confidence Man was maybe my favourite set from the weekend… like slightly cheesy 90’s house/dance but just brilliantly fun performers. An absolute blast to be at.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There's a reason the audience was the smallest of the three headliners and that it was a very young average age too.

It's all too samey. Some American guy talking to you for 90mins isn't that entertaining clearly.

Also music that requires swear words in every single line almost isn't proper music to me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There's a reason the audience was the smallest of the three headliners and that it was a very young average age too.

It's all too samey. Some American guy talking to you for 90mins isn't that entertaining clearly.

Also music that requires swear words in every single line almost isn't proper music to me.
Honestly, it’s fine that it’s not for you but you’ve spent the last two pages singling out the 4 black hip hop artists and diminishing it to ”Americans that talk and swear” and saying there is no difference between them despite that being abjectly not true. It’s like comparing Metallica, The Beatles, Queen and New Order and saying “yeah, same thing”. Your posts are feeling very close to a dog whistle.

Im not sure how anyone can seriously watch any of Kendrick’s show on Sunday and not at the bare minimum have a huge respect for just about every element of the production regardless of whether hip hop is your thing or not.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Some American guy talking at you for 90 mins and swearing so not proper music:

BBC News: Kendrick Lamar has won the Pulitzer Prize for music, becoming the first non-classical or jazz artist to collect the award.

And:

- 14 Grammy Awards,
- 2 American Music Awards,
- 6 Billboard Music Awards,
- 11 MTV Video Music Awards,
- 1 Brit Award,
- 1 Academy Award nomination.

It’s fine to not be into hip hop but there’s no need to be ignorant.

Ludens the Red

Not sure it's a case of Glastonbury moving away from rock acts so much as there being a general lack of headline-size rock acts who have emerged in the last decade or so, with Glastonbury just reflecting that.

Looking at the rock bands who are headlining other festivals across Europe this year, I'm not sure there are that many you could book to headline Glastonbury who wouldn't make the line-up look too "dad rock" if replacing the likes of Kendrick/Eilish.

Even in terms of the most critically praised albums of recent years, there's been a skew towards solo acts and most of the rock acts who do get some buzz seem to be smaller indie ones.
Yuh, solo acts have definitely become the biggest mainstream attractions in the last decade which is a reflection on society’s move towards the idolisation of the ‘individual’. see the same thing in football with Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe etc.
although there’s a few rock bands who’ve never done glasto who should be given the gig, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Imagine Dragons (not that I think these are great but they’re massive) off the top of my head.

Honestly, it’s fine that it’s not for you but you’ve spent the last two pages singling out the 4 black hip hop artists and diminishing it to ”Americans that talk and swear” and saying there is no difference between them despite that being abjectly not true. It’s like comparing Metallica, The Beatles, Queen and New Order and saying “yeah, same thing”. Your posts are feeling very close to a dog whistle.

Im not sure how anyone can seriously watch any of Kendrick’s show on Sunday and not at the bare minimum have a huge respect for just about every element of the production regardless of whether hip hop is your thing or not.
Yuh I thought he was very good to be fair. Generally live rap and grime is abysmal and I’m saying that as someone who likes the genres. I’ve always felt Kendrick was a little over rated (controversial opinion please don’t shoot me:D) but he was really good.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yuh, solo acts have definitely become the biggest mainstream attractions in the last decade which is a reflection on society’s move towards the idolisation of the ‘individual’. see the same thing in football with Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe etc.
although there’s a few rock bands who’ve never done glasto who should be given the gig, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Imagine Dragons (not that I think these are great but they’re massive) off the top of my head.
More directly, changes in how music is made, spread and sold probably made it easier for solo acts to thrive. It's easier to make and release music in isolation than ever before and I would assume it's a lot more financially viable too with lower overheads and income split between fewer people.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some American guy talking at you for 90 mins and swearing so not proper music:

BBC News: Kendrick Lamar has won the Pulitzer Prize for music, becoming the first non-classical or jazz artist to collect the award.

And:

- 14 Grammy Awards,
- 2 American Music Awards,
- 6 Billboard Music Awards,
- 11 MTV Video Music Awards,
- 1 Brit Award,
- 1 Academy Award nomination.

It’s fine to not be into hip hop but there’s no need to be ignorant.
It's not ignorant to not be of the same opinion as you. Most people in their 30's or above in the UK would struggle to name one of his tracks, or certainly would have done before the weekend anyway. That's my demographic.

Most of my friends at work hadn't got a clue about him other than a few knowing his name and that he was a rapper and that's about it.

I have seen Dave, Stormzy and a few others too and the crowds are just young kids mainly. It's definitely an age thing.

Your tastes will change as you get older.

Sweet Square

14 Grammy Awards,
The guy wore a throne crown worth over £1 million and talked about how people judged Christ.

On the surface it was incredible performance along with the dance choreography but also example of the very stupid times we live in.

Last edited:

ZupZup

The RHCP’s were booked to headline years ago to be fair but they cancelled…

When Eavis was asked a few years ago about whether they’d be headlining soon he said they weren’t very forgiving of acts who pull out on them.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It's not ignorant to not be of the same opinion as you. Most people in their 30's or above in the UK would struggle to name one of his tracks, or certainly would have done before the weekend anyway. That's my demographic.

Most of my friends at work hadn't got a clue about him other than a few knowing his name and that he was a rapper and that's about it.

I have seen Dave, Stormzy and a few others too and the crowds are just young kids mainly. It's definitely an age thing.

Nope.

Just because you live under a rock doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I’m 33 and know almost every word to every song so jot that down for one.

CallyRed

Having watched on TV, must say my favourite set was from Sam Fender.
I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to music and haven't heard his stuff before but I'm now certainly a fan.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to music and haven't heard his stuff before but I'm now certainly a fan.
I can't say I'm a massive fan of his music, but I caught some of his set and it seemed like one of the best of the weekend. He's an undeniably good performer.

Dante

Average bang

This shows your lack of musical literacy.

Dante

Average bang

Other way around. Their (or perhaps your) tastes become fossilised and frozen in time.

That said, I'm over 30 and listen to just as much rock/metal as I do hip hop.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I’m 38. You’re ignorant.

Red_Aaron

Kendrick does swear a lot to be fair

He also addresses world issues of inequality, elitism, racism, sexism, misogyny, gender, identity, community, religion, exploitation, politics and many more whilst also being comfortable discussing his own personal issues with mental health, sexual abuse, crime, drug use, fame, media intrusion. He delivers his verses with a skill comparable with anyone that came before him and despite being a mainstream staple continues to push the genre in new directions and stretch its boundaries.

But all those f words really do undermine it all I guess I mean it's not like he's discussing issues that require any real passion to express and now that he's in the public eye he really should alter his personality and language to better suit those middle-age middle-class middle-managers from middle England who just want to sway from side to side and sing those great rock anthems about fckin under age girls or heroin use or wife beating

Oh and I'm 41 by the way

Champ

Kendrick does swear a lot to be fair

He also addresses world issues of inequality, elitism, racism, sexism, misogyny, gender, identity, community, religion, exploitation, politics and many more whilst also being comfortable discussing his own personal issues with mental health, sexual abuse, crime, drug use, fame, media intrusion. He delivers his verses with a skill comparable with anyone that came before him and despite being a mainstream staple continues to push the genre in new directions and stretch its boundaries.

But all those f words really do undermine it all I guess I mean it's not like he's discussing issues that require any real passion to express and now that he's in the public eye he really should alter his personality and language to better suit those middle-age middle-class middle-managers from middle England who just want to sway from side to side and sing those great rock anthems about fckin under age girls or heroin use or wife beating

Oh and I'm 41 by the way
I had my 12 year old son with me on Sunday at the Pyramid Stage, we were there to watch Lorde as well beforehand, she was sweary as anything.
But about ten minutes into Kendricks set he turned to me and said 'i think he's doubled Lordes swear tally already' :lol:

Champ

Believe me when I say it may have been the smallest crowd but it was the most active and buzzing crowd all the way throughout his performance.

For Sir Paul it came alive for the last hour or so, I wasn't there for Friday headliner but someone who was told me it was quiet, but Kendrick kept the crowd involved and captivated for the whole time he was on set.

I don't even like Kendrick Lamar either but I was getting into it just feeding off the energy there.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think it doesn’t take much to just appreciate craft. There’s plenty of artists that aren’t my thing but I appreciate they are still really good at what they do.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think it doesn’t take much to just appreciate craft. There’s plenty of artists that aren’t my thing but I appreciate they are still really good at what they do.
Exactly. Some of my best Glasto moments have been while watching artists I wouldn't usually watch / listen to.

For me though, this applies to everything, not just artists / music / films etc.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Do people still get upset by swearing?

Highlight for me was Yungblud btw. Thought his set was brilliant. Looked like it would have been fabulous to have been a part of.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I can't say I'm a massive fan of his music, but I caught some of his set and it seemed like one of the best of the weekend. He's an undeniably good performer.
His album is great. I heard about him from reading a Pete Paphitis review absolutely raving about him as the next Bruce Springsteen. Little over the top but you can see where he’s coming from. He’s very good.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Re Kendrick Lamar. I have a problem with modern American hip hop. Can’t get into it at all. I quite liked College Drop-Out but couldn’t get into anything else that Kanye did since then. In fact, I kind of hated it. Hence I much preferred, for example, AJ Tracey’s set to Kendrick’s. And I thought Stormzy’s show last year was miles better.

Purely personal opinion though. And I’m far too old to know much about any of this shit.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

I'm not even a big fan of Kendrick, but I was laughing at your suggestion that there's no real difference between Kanye, Jay-Z and Kendrick. I think that's laughably misinformed, verging on being a pretty offensive opinion.

The idea that these three artists 'sound the same' is laughable:

mitChley

Hip Hop has been in the mainstream and the most prominent genre of music for literally my entire life and I would venture to say anyone currently in their 30's can say the same.

If you are a Made In Chelsea wanker then I could understand not knowing.
I think you've gone the opposite way to the person you're arguing with. I'm 35 and Hip Hop is absolutely no way the prominent genre of music, for me, at any part of my life.

I like some, not much, artists like Frank Ocean or Scroobius Pip. I know of Kendrick Lamar but couldn't name a single track of his. For me indie rock and to some extent electro have been far more prominent, but it entirely depends on so many things (family, friends, social class, race, education, etc)

Hip Hop has been in the mainstream and the most prominent genre of music for literally my entire life and I would venture to say anyone currently in their 30's can say the same.

If you are a Made In Chelsea wanker then I could understand not knowing.
I know, it wasn't a dig. I just found the several very insistent replies that we older people can also be fans of Hip Hop a bit funny, considerig the poster shitting on it clearly has some grudge against it:lol:

I don't think anyone in their 30s would say the same, but wouldn't be surprised if it's a majority, especially in urban areas, which is where most people our age actually live, I guess. Most people I know lean more towards metal, prog and rock, but I guess it depends where you're from etc.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I know, it wasn't a dig. I just found the several very insistent replies that we older people can also be fans of Hip Hop a bit funny, considerig the poster shitting on it clearly has some grudge against it:lol:

I don't think anyone in their 30s would say the same, but wouldn't be surprised if it's a majority, especially in urban areas, which is where most people our age actually live, I guess. Most people I know lean more towards metal, prog and rock, but I guess it depends where you're from etc.
I’m nearly 50 and have friends my age who’ve been obsessed with hip hop all their lives. I think the big change over time has been from a fairly niche interest to being arguably the most dominant genre of all. Rock music is probably as niche now as hip hop was back in the day.

I’m nearly 50 and have friends my age who’ve been obsessed with hip hop all their lives. I think the big change over time has been from a fairly niche interest to being arguably the most dominant genre of all. Rock music is probably as niche now as hip hop was back in the day.
I'm sure most people this thread know more about it than I do, so I won't argue with that.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He was great, very suited to that type of setting - couple of belting anthems and a super confident live performer. Not that I could understand a word he was saying :lol:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Anyway, back to Glasto. Really found this one special, potentially the festival with the most memorable sets that I've seen (2015 was my first and therefore probably my favourite) - Macca, Wolf Alice, Wet Leg, Olivia Rodrigo, The Libertines were all amazing for me. Brass Against the act I'd never heard of that I enjoyed the most, Phoebe Bridgers maybe the biggest disappointment (i.e. my girlfriend loves her, I just didn't enjoy her set that much).

I've come back with COVID, and have basically been running a fever and feeling terrible ever since Monday afternoon. Still worth it, can't wait to be back.

Ludens the Red

It’s strange because although hip hop is massively mainstream now and if you look at YouTube views for the biggest hip hop acts compared to the big rock acts it’s significantly higher for hip hop, it doesn’t translate at all into the turnout both genres get from their live shows. You see big rock bands coming over here from the states and doing sell out shows at Wembley, West Ham, Tottenham etc yet with the big hip hop acts they’ll be playing at the Brixton academy, Hammersmith etc. i think what it shows is that Hip hop is accessed a lot more by the general public but rock definitely has a far more committed fanbase.