Glazer Statement

alexthelion

The hardliners need to be careful. Without the majority of fans they’re back to pissing into the wind. It’s the mistake the anti Glazer contingent always makes.

There is definitely a delusion about how resolute enough fans to make a difference are. I doubt the extremists are smart enough to recognise that and they’ll squander the opportunity.

The most important thing isn’t to make sure the most rabid protesters feel vindicated.
Is that you Joel? Or are you just a shill?

There you go hardliners, done your posts for you.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers

From the outside, I think that if the Glazers pay the debt, bring Old Trafford back to current standards and strengthen the team, then United will be kind of in the same position that when they took charge (minus the silverware, of course). In that case, we could talk about a clean slate. Otherwise, feck off.

Reactions: Invictus

Fanta Stick

And you're just childish.
Humour is childish?

You are entitled to your opinion and your stance, and I disagree with it.

Targetting sponsors economically is a legitimate and very effective form of protest. This attitude of we shouldn't consider a certain strategy because it may have unintended consequences is frankly weak and pathetic.

Have you ever considered how many jobs in the football world would potentially (I would say certainly) have been lost if the Glazer's got their ESL up and running? Do you also think they have completely given up on that venture?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If you're happy for innocent people to lose their jobs, fine.

I suppose that says everything about you (and other hardliners) who think of only one thing and sod the consequences or any innocent who gets caught up in the crossfire.
That's why a vote for me is a vote for sweatshops. Someone's got to employ those kids!

Abraxas

I'm not really seeing anything actually meaningful in these letters, and they strike me as just PR responses. What they really need to do is either take zero dividends, or at the very least significantly reduced amounts until the debt they have created is cleared from the club.
This is something I've been thinking about a lot of late. I don't think it's the dividends themselves that are the problem. You cannot expect on the one hand to have commercially focused owners that are not state backed (thus avoiding the issues that come with that) and then simultaneously expect that they take no return. If another non-state backed owner was to stump up the funds required to both buy us and rid us of some of all of the debt could we reasonably expect them not to take some hefty dividends for their other purposes? We are asking for billions up front from this hypothetical owner for the privilege of essentially acting as an employed director.

I think it's the other side of it that is the major problem. People could swallow that particular pill if they saw some dialogue, they saw respect for Old Trafford and the facilities we have, saw them at games more often. Basically that they were not absent owners but treated it both as a business and also the institution that it is. Some sustained effort at chipping away the debt would also be wise, even if only for PR purposes. The Glazers could have easily achieved all of this while not getting away from their primary goal which is to increase value and take profits, but they've been extremely foolhardy.

Lee565

It's all a load of rubbish, with them stating that they would welcome discussions with the fans but only when the SEASON FINISHES, is them trying prevent any more protests happening this season and hoping that come the new season with sprinkle of a few signings that the fans will forget about protesting strongly against the glazers ownership and just revert back to the norm.

Zen86

Excellent post. The fundamentalists in here are completely unreasonable. The point was made, and while the impact of the protest is present, concessions from the glazers should be listened to rather than nonsensical collective “feck off mate” response that seems to be popular on here.

The letter hits on all the things we want. Investment in squad and stadium, dialogue with fans, open to fan representation, a nod to the fan-led review and willingness to work with it, and another apology for the ESL.

Yes, for now they’re just words, but they’re more specific words than what you usually see in a PR fluff letter. Of course it’s possible that they won’t follow through, and one has the right to be skeptical and vigilant, but not outright obtuse and non-sensical.
Indeed. Those hellbent in removing the Glazers are kidding themselves. It’s unfortunate, but there really isn’t a better option out there. Ultimately we’re worth more than when the Glazers bought us, a new owner would need an even bigger return on investment to make financial sense. And that’s how the world works at the end of the day, return on investment. Billionaires don’t spend billions for shits and giggles. The other option is someone who runs us completely into the ground financially.

The Glazers coming to the table and willing to work with the fans is mission accomplished in my eyes. It’s all words right now, but the precedent has been set so they’d be daft not to follow through.

Colin Clarke

I came across a video on YouTube where Rio Ferdinand read from a statement or an interview given by Joel Glaser back in 2005 when they took control of the club and he spoke then about the fans being the "heart and blood" and being important and how they would listen to the fans. It turn out to be rubbish then why should we believe it's any different now?

DoomSlayer

That'll make them sweat
Nice. :devil: Maybe that's why Joel Glazer is so worried when this and the Liverpool game protest happened? Just imagine what real sustained pressure like this can achieve.

People need to be more ruthless with these parasitic owners, just like they are towards us and our club.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Still all that is just distraction tactics. As long as we don't have the right CEO and have all their debt on the club.
They (Glazers) will do as little as they can to appease the supporters. Once a few signings come in, a new paint job on OT maybe a few new balls for the academy, new bibs maybe aswell and the fans will be ‘appeased’, or so they think. Hopefully the fans are angry as they have been and we will somehow force them to reconsider their ownership.
I think we will only be rid of the debt once a new owner takes us over, unfortunately it wont be the Glazers who pay it off.

Glazers Out!

Want them out. People who want investment don't understand or are being disingenuous. Do people think them lot and their banks will suddenly magically care for the legacy supporters that it thinks so highly of? If we settle, it will happen again in future. If you accept fake apologies, you are part of a wider problem in that you are selfish rather then looking at the bigger picture. Because it's not and never will be sincere. Protest with intelligence and do not fall for infiltration which dilutes the message. Be peaceful but smart to know the truth which is of course they will look to make you simpletons happy...until the next time. That's how they view us. You can predict them a mile off. Of course their would be rumors of big transfers etc.
They have repeatedly lied and cheated. Joel Glazer was the spearhead and mastermind of the Super League.
It's time for them to go.

Denis79

Eh?

And, am I being passionate about this? I just have an open mind.

People have been complaining about the Glazers ever since they took over United.

The supporters have taken a stand and now the owners have recognised it and want to engage.

Don't you think you should give them a chance and see what happens before condemning them?

The bile in this thread is disgusting and embarrassing.
They promised the same things when they took over and there were protests. 16 years later still no communication with the fans, OT is falling apart and they even led the line in destroying football as we know it. One letter written by their PR departement changes little.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Manchester United mkt cap as of today is $2.71 bn, debt - $630 million. Glazers must restructure the club ownership. No more class A and class B shares crap. Club issues new shares and raises $1 bln to clear the debt and form $370 million {£265 million) transfer kit. Furthermore, Glazers should put $700 million to $1 billion worth of their own shares for sale; their share must go under 50%. I’m sure there are a lot of high net worth Man Utd fans who could be interested in buying a seat in the Board. Also, MUST should have presence in the Board with veto right on certain decisions. It’s all doable. Glazers will cash out billion dollars but will lose power. Not a bad proposal, otherwise they will receive a total war with the fans.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I don't think there's anything wrong with the statement. Of course PRs involved, but it always will be with any large company (or should be). It'll also have to have been signed off by various department and probably his siblings.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with him saying after the season has finished. Cause this stuff is all a distraction while games are ongoing. It's also less than a month away.

But the proof will be in the pudding. The pressure should be kept up until certain commitments are met. I'm not convinced they'll relinquish any of their shares/power. But putting a MUST member on the board to observer? Yeah. Commiting to improving OT and having set timescales for that? Yes. I've said before that if they want a quick win with fans you about VDS as the new CEO and that seems possible.

If the club are thinking they can string this out till June and then everyone will forget they're very mistaken. After the season the news will have just as much time to cover any protests as they do now.

::sonny::

They are the most hated family in the world (after the bin laden family), but seems they don’t care

They have no respect of themselves

Red Stone

I will reiterate my sentiments from after the open letter:

Dear cnut,

Kindly feck off.

Sincerely,
Everyone