Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Unlikely news from Italy.
Italian journalists have the scoop on the sale of a british club being brokered in the US by a british billionaire.

Unlikely indeed.

Also I wouldnt say that its completely out of the question their interest was very public and SJR would want to avoid any gazumping by wealthy individuals from the middle east. ALSO its rumoured our new sponsor is close, INEOS?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Fans were saying this twenty years ago. The cannibalism of other leagues tv income has a lot g way to go and that’ll drive the price up alone
The other leagues don't really have huge TV money (for domestic or even their foreign markets) compared to the PL. My guess will be direct to supporters TV streams and/or the super league. Someone like Ratcliffe will buy United and spend 5-6 billion quid hoping for those two possibilities in 10-15 years' time. That's a helluva gamble.
Logically, when it's up in the 5-6 billion quid range it will be some ME/sport washing endeavour. Its just too big a risk financially to spend that much on United.

thebelfastboy

How will the price/value raise? Super League is the only one that would ramp up its value. Or United sells its games on streaming direct.
The Glazers bought us for less than £800m in 2005 and we're now worth (give or take) around £5b which is an absolutely phenomenal increase.

No super League required there.

I'd expect new owners (particularly if ME) to significantly grow our match day, broadcast, commercial revenues and invest in a old Trafford refurb or new stadium build.

We're a bohemoth world wide that beyond the rake of sponsorship deals we've signed is still relatively untapped.

Mainoldo

State owners.

Pretty much every likely candidate would be from that part of the world, of course, but the problem with 'em isn't that they're "Arab".

If we somehow ended up being owned by the Norwegian oil fund, I'd be against that too.
Okay. Is it like an NHS thing then for you? Where you are just against governments?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Okay. Is it like an NHS thing then for you? Where you are just against governments?
On principle I'm against a state owning/controlling (de facto - it may be just an "investment fund" of some kind in name) a football club, yes.

But no, it's not "an NHS thing". I'm against states owning football clubs, I'm not against state ownership in general.

sglowrider

The Glazers bought us for less than £800m in 2005 and we're now worth (give or take) around £5b which is an absolutely phenomenal increase.

No super League required there.

I'd expect new owners (particularly if ME) to significantly grow our match day, broadcast, commercial revenues and invest in a old Trafford refurb or new stadium build.

We're a bohemoth world wide that beyond the rake of sponsorship deals we've signed is still relatively untapped.
How? Match day revenues can only have any significant increase unless we get a new stadium that seats 100k. But they need to spend £2billion quid on that. Our commercial revenues have plateaued -- partly due to our lack of success and also the competition has increased or at least dominated by a certain club.
On both accounts, we have to invest more to get more back. And we have to invest significantly over and above the probable 5-6billion the Glazers want.

American investors will probably have to borrow a significant amounts to buy United. And at the current interest rates in the market, I am sure a significant amount of our revenues will be USD to pay off the debts. Sound familiar? They will only do it in the hope of getting the super league formed or direct to consumer TV streams.

It only makes sense for a sportwasher to buy United. And they arent mugs either when they can buy Liverpool or invest in Everton or the Spuds.

cyberman

The other leagues don't really have huge TV money (for domestic or even their foreign markets) compared to the PL. My guess will be direct to supporters TV streams and/or the super league. Someone like Ratcliffe will buy United and spend 5-6 billion quid hoping for those two possibilities in 10-15 years' time. That's a helluva gamble.
Logically, when it's up in the 5-6 billion quid range it will be some ME/sport washing endeavour. Its just too big a risk financially to spend that much on United.
But they don’t have huge money because it’s being funnelled to the EPL and it isn’t finished yet. I remember when Qatar offered Glazers 1.5b in 2011 and we were told that was too good to turn down, the value had reached its peak. Well it’s ballooned in value since then without a super league so I can’t see why it’s a super league to increase value or bust.
We have been told the football bubble was ready to burst for 25 years now

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'd be very surprised if Ratcliffe gets us. It would mean no one with crazy money was interested and that would be surprising.

The bidding process is not over for almost three weeks and it'd be stupid for any decision to be made when we know Glazers are looking to maximise their return.

Another thing that Ratcliffe needs to do if he wants the fans' support is explain how, what and when he'll do if buys us. Otherwise he's just another billionaire trying to swindle people with emotion but not providing any solid proof he'll be any better than the Glazers or at least what he's done with Nice.

fezzerUTD

City's owners run the club as a business for example, they have sold shares repeatedly throughout their tenure as majority owners, in order to make money!

They way they have done that is by becoming successful (how they did that is another matter), but they grew the club into what it is now with the pretence of making money.

Every football club is a business, it's how that business is run which is the kicker.
City sell their shares to themselves via 3rd party companies to inflate their value and income.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There was never going to be a queue of buyers. It’s the Mount Everest of sport acquisitions, air is thin up there
That's how I see it as well. The costs are too high and the ROI is too low. Sure the brand name might end up worth double it is now but that depends on football/EPL growth + us being able to winning important trophies. That's difficult in a league were there are clubs owned by Saudi and Abu Dhabi and it will depend a lot on great management (top to bottom) and loads of investment.

At that prices the only ones I can see showing real interesting are those interested in using our brand (ie sport washing or petro chemical companies washing etc)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What does it even say?
I cleaned it up because certain phrases in Italian would look stupid when translated in English.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe is closing in for Manchester United. He's buying the club for around 4B sterling. Ratcliffe is the richest man in the UK he's the owner of INEOS and he's the owner of Nice.

pascell

Google Translate

"Sir Jim Ratcliffe close to buying #ManchesterUnited from the Glazers for around £4bn. He is the richest man in the UK, number one at INEOS and owner of Nice"
I cleaned it up because certain phrases in Italian would look stupid when translated in English.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe is closing in for Manchester United. He's buying the club for around 4B sterling. Ratcliffe is the richest man in the UK he's the owner of INEOS and he's the owner of Nice.
Thanks

sglowrider

Sounds like a leak to drive up prices ie auction

Strootman's Finger

Unlikely news from Italy.
Italian journalists have the scoop on the sale of a british club being brokered in the US by a british billionaire.

Unlikely indeed.

Also I wouldnt say that its completely out of the question their interest was very public and SJR would want to avoid any gazumping by wealthy individuals from the middle east. ALSO its rumoured our new sponsor is close, INEOS?
No one is doing things quick and discreet to try and beat the competition, or if they are, they're wasting their time. The Glazers have set up an auction to get the most money, that's their only criteria. So if SJR comes in with a good deal, they'll just take it to Dubai and ask them to beat it. They aren't going to jump on SJR's offer like there aren't anymore coming in.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
City sell their shares to themselves via 3rd party companies to inflate their value and income.
Not quite true, Chinese investors own 13% of City, whilst it's true that some of the investors have a Mansour buddy on the board, most are independent.

If Mansour wants money he sells a stake in a club he owns.

They run the club for profit now, as the club is self sufficient, largely down to financial doping to get to this point of course, but the point remains Mansour makes money from City and they are run as part of the CFG business model.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Citeh are run as a business if that business was a family business where your biggest customer is your dad's company and your second biggest customer is your big brother's company. And your other customers make up the remaining 20-30%.

Not to mention all the off-the-books payments to employees to make them leave their top tier firms and work for you

Zed 101

It has not happened yet, maybe almost did with Chelsea.... but what happens when the billionaire gets bored? Utd will be okay if debt free, but some time one of these owners is going to pull the run and absolutely tank a team.... please let it be city

red thru&thru

A billionaire's never going to seek your approval after spending 5-6 billion quid. He will tell you some PR-driven plan/spin to keep you off his back.

If he invests the 5-6billion, it will buy up the debt i would imagine.
I'm not expecting him to have my approval. He doesn't need it.

However, it helps him to get fans onside, to keep them involved by outlining their plans.

red thru&thru

Wouldn’t be the end of the world that, would it? We’re punching above our weight already on the verge of a title challenge. We also have one foot in a cup final and a good chance of going deep in 2 other cups. If that plays out every season from here on in and we don’t have to be a vehicle for sportswashing I’d be one very happy fan.
As long as we're successful both on and off the pitch, that is fine.

But with the resources that SJR has, I'd expect more success with his football clubs.

Withnail

Not quite true, Chinese investors own 13% of City, whilst it's true that some of the investors have a Mansour buddy on the board, most are independent.

If Mansour wants money he sells a stake in a club he owns.

They run the club for profit now, as the club is self sufficient, largely down to financial doping to get to this point of course, but the point remains Mansour makes money from City and they are run as part of the CFG business model.
They're run for profit?

Is that if you pretend their sponsorships are real deals and not just their own money with a state-owned company's sticker on it?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
They're run for profit?

Is that if you pretend their sponsorships are real deals and not just their own money with a state-owned company's sticker on it?
Again, it's not sponsorship, it's the stakes they sell to investors that makes them the money.

The dodgy sponsorship is for the clubs coiffeurs, if Mansour wants cash he sells a stake in one of his many clubs.

Godfather

They are his businesses. :lol:
Ok you are deliberately acting like a child now. His investments are underwhelming from a sporting perspective which is the only one I care about for Manchester United. We've been handled like a pure business for long enough now. Everything involving Ratcliffe screams red flag. Don't want him anywhere near our club.

Godfather

Explain to me how Nice are failing?
They are incredibly underwhelming. Their transfer business is erratic and albeit being owned by a billionaire they are not even close to at least challenge PSG. How are they not failing? :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
Ok you are deliberately acting like a child now. His investments are underwhelming from a sporting perspective which is the only one I care about for Manchester United. We've been handled like a pure business for long enough now. Everything involving Ratcliffe screams red flag. Don't want him anywhere near our club.
I’m speaking in ways my audience understand.

Withnail

Again, it's not sponsorship, it's the stakes they sell to investors that makes them the money.

The dodgy sponsorship is for the clubs coiffeurs, if Mansour wants cash he sells a stake in one of his many clubs.
How expensive are their haircuts?

Aside from that I'm not sure what you mean. For it to be profitable you have also to take into account the dodgy sponsorships that are propping up the club, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.