Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
You just have to look at the state of PSG and you then want them to own Utd? Please...Lots of delusion around here.
They have won their domestic league almost every year and regularly reach champions league knockout stage. Something we havent done in a decade

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Its not about people giving a shit or not, its the lengths that certain posters are going to decry anyone who isnt 100% against a ME takeover but wilfully ignore other ME influences/exports that are already consumed on a daily basis.
That would be annoying, where is that happening?

laughtersassassin

Will probably only here about the Qatari bid tonight because of Keegan.

Any other bid will likely remain private as the other bidders haven't been briefing a journo

RORY65

It’s not that, there’s a lot of fans who have accepted the shitty situation already who are being accused of wanting to kill gays or support Slave Labour.
Imo if you’re shouting at fans who have reached the point sooner than you have if you don’t walk away then it’s all uncalled for.
The problem is it's not fans accepting a shitty situation, a large chunk on here are absolutely desperate for them to come in. A poster on here who is gay talks about how they won't be able to continue supporting us if we have owners who imprison people for being gay and they get mocked by multiple posters who basically just want Mbappe and don't give a shit about anything else. I've seen no real criticism of the more conflicted fans who either have accepted the situation while acknowledging it as being shitty or who aren't sure whether they will continue to support the club (which is where I currently am).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can I just remind some of you to please try and keep it civil, and do away with the patronising responses.

We all share something on here in our love for Utd. We all want the best for the club and obviously there will be a vast array of opinions on what that is. Be respectful of one another. Thank you.

Dan_F

You just have to look at the state of PSG and you then want them to own Utd? Please...Lots of delusion around here.
I tried that this morning and no wanted to discuss it :lol: Their own ultras aren’t exactly big fans.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Nonsense. City are an old great club, (who I hate). Success is what defines glory hunters, not football clubs, most win nothing.

That is what we call double standards.
Come on mate, City had won nothing for decades and were getting slapped around 8-0 by mid table dross like Boro. They were maybe an old great club back in your days but in modern times they are literally a story of rags to riches.

Nothing like the self-sustained money machine that we are today.

FujiVice

$9 billion!!! :eek:

How in the hell is the WWE worth that? Who even watches wrestling anymore?
He'll not get 9 billion for it, but its a massive brand with $40 million profits a year and about 50 years worth of original content on available for a streaming platform. Original content is like gold dust in itself these days for television networks.

FujiVice

Nonsense. City are an old great club, (who I hate). Success is what defines glory hunters, not football clubs, most win nothing.

That is what we call double standards.
City's former owner is an actual murderer and the bloke before that sold toilet rolls. Their history is as bad as their present.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They have won their domestic league almost every year and regularly reach champions league knockout stage. Something we havent done in a decade
Tbf nobody else in their league can compete with their money so of course they’ll win it every year. Except the year Lille won it of course.

Kylar Stern

I haven't seen that, the lady two pages haven't been that. The reports we get aren't that. I've just come in to this thread and the post I quoted was cold and sneering at best.
Dont get me wrong, the drivel being posted in response is no better either, but the problem here is that this isnt an absolute situation.

There are pros and cons to any ownership model that could come in, and its impossible to boil this down to ‘European Consortium good, Middle East bad’ as people seem to be trying to do here.

It just seems to be a very extreme reaction to take the stance that if ME ownership comes in thats the point where people step away from the club, especially when as I stated they will just go away and line ME pockets in a multitude of other ways.

Its also not worth arguing for nearly 500 pages on something where both opposing sides are clearly flawed in said arguments, but thats another story altogether!

cyberman

The problem is it's not fans accepting a shitty situation, a large chunk on here are absolutely desperate for them to come in. A poster on here who is gay talks about how they won't be able to continue supporting us if we have owners who imprison people for being gay and they get mocked by multiple posters who basically just want Mbappe and don't give a shit about anything else. I've seen no real criticism of the more conflicted fans who either have accepted the situation while acknowledging it as being shitty or who aren't sure whether they will continue to support the club (which is where I currently am).
Oh there has been. It’s just that the real prominent posts are going against the easier posts than the conflicted ones. If not it’s just broad posts against everyone who wants this.
we have a poster saying Ten Hag should be held to account. It’s madness.
The real kicker is we won’t get a cash injection past the stadium and training ground. All we can spend is 70 percent of turnover but it’s being seen as wanting a cheat code when the cheat code isn’t available

Fridge chutney

And just like that you'll end the oppression of homosexuals in the Middle East. Nobel peace prize is on the way.
This is frankly a disgusting thing to say to someone who may be feeling genuine turmoil at the direction the club they love may be taking - a step away from values they hold that tie to their identity.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Personally think all of that went out of the window years ago with the massive increase of commercialization in football that the Premier League brought. I think it's a bit rich to suggest United is above all of this. United are a brand now more than a football club.
Some of that may be true, but if all of it is (at least for you) then the logical follow up is that you’re just some kind of…consumerist fan.

stevoc

Agreed. I'm not from England (US fan for over 20 years), and I have no doubt that the relationship between the locals and the club is much different than mine. It's really arrogant and/or ignorant to say otherwise. I have no problem with the Qataris owning the club, but most of my interaction with the team is strictly what happens on the pitch, and I cheer just as hard as anyone. However, there is another level of fandom you get from being in the community and being a multi-generational fan that you simply can't replicate watching from abroad. I don't get the animosity towards a potential Qatari ownership, but I'll chalk that up to the fact that my relationship with the club isn't as layered as some of the local lads, and a feeling towards the club or perspective with it that I'm just not privy to due to distance and history.
Indeed, we're all from somewhere and the majority of us will have things from our home city/town that very proud of and have a deep appreciation and connection to.

And as much as I've loved United for the majority of my 40 years and lived in the area for a few years as a kid I have no doubt I would love the club even more if I was a manc and United was my local club.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Come on mate, City had won nothing for decades and were getting slapped around 8-0 by mid table dross like Boro. They were maybe an old great club back in your days but in modern times they are literally a story of rags to riches.

Nothing like the self-sustained money machine that we are today.
City are a historically great if unsuccessful club. It's a fact. I hate them but they are what they are.

Yeah the rags to riches makes it easier for people to point the finger, and if your only gripe is the doping and not the source of the money then fine, but that was never the impression I got from all the City bashing on here.

saivet

This feels like transfer deadline day...wonder if we'll get a 'surprise' bid that causes some waves

I’m loving my life

I can’t make threads in the mains yet but it would be great to have a prediction thread if we get Qatari owners, so that in years to come we can look back and see who predicted what correctly.

Could include but not limited to:

First signing
First signing over 100 million
How much spent in first window
How many signings in first window
How much spent first year
First PL post takeover
First CL post takeover
First season played in new stadium
Capacity of new stadium
First friendly in Qatar
First out of Arnold and Murtough to go
First pundit to moan about the money
First Qatar-influenced change to one of our kit designs
What tiresome play on El Classico will the press dub the Mcr derby?
Will we ever have a breakthrough group like Class of 92 with our improved youth facilities?
Will the Women’s Team become dominant?
When will RAWK sink to feeble fan fiction threads about our imaginary downfall?
Will OT ever be renamed?
Who will be our Winston Bogarde bought for no reason except compulsive buying of players?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Dont get me wrong, the drivel being posted in response is no better either, but the problem here is that this isnt an absolute situation.

There are pros and cons to any ownership model that could come in, and its impossible to boil this down to ‘European Consortium good, Middle East bad’ as people seem to be trying to do here.

It just seems to be a very extreme reaction to take the stance that if ME ownership comes in thats the point where people step away from the club, especially when as I stated they will just go away and line ME pockets in a multitude of other ways.

Its also not worth arguing for nearly 500 pages on something where both opposing sides are clearly flawed in said arguments, but thats another story altogether!
Now you are guilty of absolutism. This is more of a tipping point than anything. You think people willing to walk now were fine with the Glazers? I doubt it very much.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
What's the article saying? It's behind a paywall.
Bids for the Premier League’s Manchester United could include a £5 billion offer by a group of Qatari investors who include the country’s former prime minister, write Archana Narayanan and Dinesh Nair. The group will likely face competition from a roster of rivals such as British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe. On other football news, 777 Partners is weighing an investment in Everton FC, as more American buyers circle England’s top football clubs, David Hellier reports. Meanwhile, the Nigerian businessman seen as a potential buyer of English football club Sheffield United has faced lawsuits in the US and UK for not paying what he owed, Loni Prinsloo and William Clowes write.

PeteReDevil

iPete
Can you all please read the thread title every now and then and try to have this conversation without wumming or insulting. It's an emotive topic for lots of folk on a few levels.
I haven't read much of this thread, but I keep seeing reminders from the mods on keeping it respectful. Who is it we're protecting here?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Tbf nobody else in their league can compete with their money so of course they’ll win it every year. Except the year Lille won it of course.
I was responding to the point that Qatar are bad owners, which they aren’t

TrueRed79

Hilarious. Have you seen their wage bill at all. Go on, google it and compare to the rest. Marry that with how ineptly they are generally run. The whole way Mpappe was given a new contract and power. The hiring and firing of managers and DOF. Don't want them anywhere near us. A non stop soap opera at PSG. You want to be part of a circus again?

LordSpud

The FT article: "Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani, the chairman of one of Qatar’s biggest banks has bid for Manchester United.

Al Thani, son of former Qatari prime minister Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, confirmed his offer for the English football club in a statement to the Financial Times.

Sheikh Hamad Bin-Jaber al-Thani was one of Qatar’s most powerful figures in the late 1990s and 2000s, serving as prime minister and foreign minister.

The bid plans to return the Club to its former glories both on and off the pitch, and – above all – will seek to place the fans at the heart of Manchester United Football Club once more.

The bid will be completely debt free via Sheikh Jassim’s Nine Two Foundation, which will look to invest in the football teams, the training centre, the stadium and wider infrastructure, the fan experience and the communities the Club supports."

Status
Not open for further replies.