Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So in the hypothetical situation that Apple are interested, why would they contact the club?
They would simply ring up the Glazers and their advisers would draw up an agreement.
No one at the club would have a clue - certainly not anyone that Luckhurst would have access to.

It's so fecking stupid - this shit needs to stop
Why do you think it has to come from Apple’s side? Could easily be that Apple enquired recently and someone on United’s side leaked it. It would very much be in United’s interest to do so.

DevTheRed

I can see why the biggest sports team in the UK and probably top 3 in the world would attract interest from the likes of Apple.

Pocket change for them.. make it happen :devil:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So in the hypothetical situation that Apple are interested, why would they contact the club?
They would simply ring up the Glazers and their advisers would draw up an agreement.
No one at the club would have a clue - certainly not anyone that Luckhurst would have access to.

Creating hype and interest has its benefits mate. It has the potential to even raise share prices. You are seeing it from Apple POV. I suggest you see it from the Glazers POV as well

Marcelinho87

Convinced this is happening quickly. Ducker said yesterday whilst thought unlikely formal offers can’t be ruled out before Christmas. Shit has been happening in the background for months.

Also convinced myself that apple does somewhat make sense for them except for the fact we don’t own the rights to our own media deals. They couldn’t just stream our games exclusively - that’s what the traditional big 6 have wanted for years - ability to negotiate their own media deals - but it’s been blocked by the EPL.
He stated that apple were the only ones who didn't make sense.

He said Netflix and Facebook would make sense as they NEED a bump due to their poorly performing business and United would give them that.

prateik

I am not switching to iOS even if Apple buys United.. or even if Google buys Liverpool..
Just no..

Suv666

Apple would be shite owners. These tech companies are too dependent on their share prices if the stocks plummet they’d be laying off first team players.

cyberman

Leaks happen all the time. It might not even be from Uniteds side. They literally might have a friend in the business reporting side of things who knows somebody who knows somebody at Apple who isn’t as secretive as football clubs saying yeah, we would be interested.
I know the reporting of interesting parties at Chelsea were pretty accurate and that follows the same principle

croadyman

He said Netflix and Facebook would make sense as they NEED a bump due to their poorly performing business and United would give them that.
Have you got link to article

oneway

I wouldn`t mind Apple owning Utd the investment needed would not be an issue.

MDFC Manager

He's filthy rich.. and more importantly, has invested in sports teams.. Owns Mumbai Indians in the IPL. No clue if he is looking at a football club, but if he does buy a club, he'll do much better than the Glazers..
Interestingly, and not sure how, he's got the world cup broadcast rights this time. Plus like you said his entire family is hands on invested in sports teams.

He’s a right wing asshole.

Bankrolling the current incredibly islamophobic BJP regime who are trying their best to turn India into Nazi Germany.
Nah I don't think it's that clear cut with Ambani. He'll just back the political winning horse.

croadyman

Interestingly, and not sure how, he's got the world cup broadcast rights this time. Plus like you said his entire family is hands on invested in sports teams.

Nah I don't think it's that clear cut with Ambani. He'll just back the political winning horse.
Know it's not popular but honestly feel outside of state ownership we need someone with that significant wealth of a

Facebook,Netflix,Apple,Amazon,Ortega

Suedesi

Why do you think it has to come from Apple’s side? Could easily be that Apple enquired recently and someone on United’s side leaked it. It would very much be in United’s interest to do so.
How would Apple "enquire"? Would they ring the club and ask the receptionist if they fancy being bought?

Or would the Glazers have hired an investment bank to run a sale process and they, the investment bank advising on the sale, would confidently and under strict NDA's share with a very select number of people what the numbers and projections would for a transaction like this would look like.

This would be a process managed by a Goldman Sachs or a JP Morgan and no one at the club would have a clue in the early innings. If Luckhurst had friends who worked at M&A at Goldman or JP I would believe him. If he knows the tea-lady or the physio or the club photographer he's clueless.

Anyhoo - brigadoons can carry on brigadooning

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Apple have been rumoured to go in on EPL rights for some time so it does make sense from that perspective. Content creation, marketing opportunities, exclusive content to the huge fanbase on their platform. I doubt they’d want the hassle of running the club though so maybe not full ownership - could be a partnership type thing where they provide the capital for a stadium fitted with their tech. I’m not sure why it would make more sense for tech companies that are struggling…there’s way more risk attached to Netflix buying us than apple - 6bn is a drop in the ocean for them.

Suv666

He’s been backing Modi since he was a nobody and had zero political clout. He didn’t back the winning horse he created the fascist winning horse.

Without his power and money doubt BJP and Modi would have been half as influential.

TheReligion

Abusive
No, I have an idea how deals like this work. No one at the company (and therefore anyone a Luckhurst woud have access to) would fecking know until after the deal has been announced.
It’s not the announcement of a deal. As the articles say it’s rumoured.

I’m not sure what you’re struggling with here.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Strongly disagree. Not sure what logic this is based on but would love to hear it.
I don’t pretend to be a expert in such matters but I would imagine your City’s and Newcastle’s will just carry on greasing palms to be able to get around ffp. They will carry on inventing sponsors to allow to outbid everyone else for the top players. Any other owners are going to want returns of some kind on their investment. Only a oil club or a hugely wealthy individual will be happy to keep up and compete with those two clubs. Like I said I'm no expert and I hope I'm wrong as I’d like Utd to compete again.

Elcabron

what? they wouldn't have the rights to stream it. They would need to bid for it, just like Sky, BT etc.
In time being the key words. If united were free to negotiate their own tv rights down the line and they were owned by Apple they would probably be shown exclusively on apple.

Castia

Imagine Apple that would be crazy :lol:

They'd get the sponsor on the shirt and probably get the name in the new stadium

Can't see it happening but that's a fun story

Revan

Assumptionman
I cannot see Apple buying us. First, it makes no sense. Apple is a company that builds products and software, in a completely different industry. They are also a far bigger brand than us, so from marketing point of view, it also makes no sense. Then, like the rest of FAANG companies, Apple at the moment are cutting costs and have frozen the hirings, based on predicting that the recession will be long and severe. They won't drop 5-10B in something that makes no sense.

It is too good to be true, consequently, not true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Football is a small world where people talk to each other a lot and Apple have in recent times been in negotiations with the PL and MLS over various issues. "Understood to be exploring a possible takeover" could be something as simple as Apple having asked to be kept informed six months ago when stories of the Glazers being open to selling started to emerge. Or even more vaguely that, it just being informally known within the industry that they might have some sort of interest in a deal like this if it were ever to arise. Which is then the sort of thing you can repeat to a journalist when asked what sort of people might be interested in buying the club and that journalist can turn into a story.

croadyman

Imagine Apple that would be crazy :lol:

They'd get the sponsor on the shirt and probably get the name in the new stadium

Can't see it happening but that's a fun story
Very fun but that's all it is a story

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's filthy rich.. and more importantly, has invested in sports teams.. Owns Mumbai Indians in the IPL. No clue if he is looking at a football club, but if he does buy a club, he'll do much better than the Glazers..
I had a mate who was a IIT grad who worked at reliance. He said it was so poorly managed. Very little delegation of authority. Had to wait for ambani to return for making what would be considered minor issues. He was dying a slow death there.

AndySmith1990

I can believe a tech giant would have genuine interest. The potential for marketing and streaming is massive. Marketing especially. Red Bulls entire business model revolves around it and is the sole reason they got involved in football. For the likes of Google, Apple and Amazon spending a few billion is pocket change.

Suv666

I want ‘fan’ sort of owners not massive tech companies who are in to to turn a profit.

If you want to compete with City, Newcastle and PSG you’ll have to say feck it to profits.

The Zara bloke is Spanish right? Could be that he’s a fan.

Ole'sattheWheel

I can't see the new owners renaming Old Trafford, even though I assume these iTrafford comments are jokes.

The only reasons to rename your stadium is either for sponsorship money (we don't need that) or to dodgily funnel money into your club from your owners (we don't need that either).
We have such a good marketing operation that there's simply no need to funnel money into the club, we can just spend the money the club actually generates

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
How would Apple "enquire"? Would they ring the club and ask the receptionist if they fancy being bought?

Or would the Glazers have hired an investment bank to run a sale process and they, the investment bank advising on the sale, would confidently and under strict NDA's share with a very select number of people what the numbers and projections would for a transaction like this would look like.

This would be a process managed by a Goldman Sachs or a JP Morgan and no one at the club would have a clue in the early innings. If Luckhurst had friends who worked at M&A at Goldman or JP I would believe him. If he knows the tea-lady or the physio or the club photographer he's clueless.

They will contact to the appointment organisation, Rayne group.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s quite rightly not going to happen
Why rightly? If it shouldn’t happen due to competitiveness why have City been allowed to spend what they have? Why are they allowed to be bankrolled by an oil state but Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal not allowed to generate legitimate revenues by the strengths of their club allowing them to compete with City and soon Newcastle?

TheReligion

Abusive

Yeah. You have no clue.

Pronewbie

Peep
Apple would be shite owners. These tech companies are too dependent on their share prices if the stocks plummet they’d be laying off first team players.
Have you seen their balance sheet? They're gushing tens of billions every quarter with nowhere to park their money in other than share buybacks. That saidI can't see the acquisition of United returning 20%+ net profit for them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Apple have more money in the bank than the annual GDP of most countries on the planet.

but it won’t happen, why would they bother? They’re the worlds most recognisable brand already.

Status
Not open for further replies.