Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This thread makes me lose faith in humanity. If replacing a greedy capitalist with a tyrant dictator is applauded as a change for the better, then there really isn't much hope for the world going forward.
Imagine living in a country where you cannot say what you want, you cannot believe in what you want, you cannot freely choose the lifepartner you want, you cannot dress as you like, you have no vote and your selfappointed government is the church, law, jury, executioner and controls 100% of the power and resources in your country. Sportswashing is a huge problem and we cannot take their money to look the other way.
Christ sake it's fecking football. And we don't even have a say! As much as people enjoy going through this mental exercise of righteousness in "not allowing them to take the club" because of the laws of their country, none of what anyone on this forum says matters. So instead you can choose to accept it and enjoy Manchester United football in what will probably be a better era than the one we were currently in under the Glazers for the last decade, or just quit and stick to your self appointed standards. But don't be melodramatic acting like it's "losing faith in humanity" because some people accept that every billionaire is most likely a scummy person and instead they'd rather just support their club to watch a fecking game of football without getting into the geopolitics of whatever cnut foots the bill. If I get to watch Rashford or Garnacho score an injury time winner in a CL semifinal I'm not going to refuse to celebrate because our owner is an investment group answering to someone that has prehistoric laws based on his religion.

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
This thread makes me lose faith in humanity. If replacing a greedy capitalist with a tyrant dictator is applauded as a change for the better, then there really isn't much hope for the world going forward.
Imagine living in a country where you cannot say what you want, you cannot believe in what you want, you cannot freely choose the lifepartner you want, you cannot dress as you like, you have no vote and your selfappointed government is the church, law, jury, executioner and controls 100% of the power and resources in your country. Sportswashing is a huge problem and we cannot take their money to look the other way.
Great post. You’re absolutely correct. The flippancy with which some approach these issues is shocking.

Spoony

The People's President
Forget everything else, I've met a few Saudis and they're invariably United fans if they care about football. Maybe Liverpool but majority is United.

They wanted the biggest prize and missed out on a big one (Chelsea) and the biggest (United) for a club that's in the middle of nowhere.

There were rumours of a Saudi interest in United but they opted to buy Newcastle. Bizzare but there you go.

cyberman

Who is looking the other way?

LordSpud

Yep. The man’s a bluffer and I’m yet to be convinced otherwise.
After this he will go and get Liverpool and we can see what kind of an owner he will be. Can guarantee the Scousers will be crying for FSG back within 3 years.

DeGea

Is this not just how “Brittania” used to be? The Gulf states are just following the natural trajectory of a civilisation, a few hundred years behind. Fast forward a few hundred years from now they will all probably be just as woke as Californians!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Right so have you lived at or even been to this “tyrannical” dictatorship?

because I have so I don’t need to imagine. There is a reason hundreds and thousands move to the these tyrannical dictatorships and I’m talking about non Muslims and white westerners.

Youre talking like a joint consortium of Iran and N Korea is making a bid.

Qatar is probably not responsible for 0.0005% of the innocent lives killed by UK in Afghanistan

red thru&thru

Christ sake it's fecking football. And we don't even have a say! As much as people enjoy going through this mental exercise of righteousness in "not allowing them to take the club" because of the laws of their country, none of what anyone on this forum says matters. So instead you can choose to accept it and enjoy Manchester United football in what will probably be a better era than the one we were currently in under the Glazers for the last decade, or just quit and stick to your self appointed standards. But don't be melodramatic acting like it's "losing faith in humanity" because some people accept that every billionaire is most likely a scummy person and instead they'd rather just support their club to watch a fecking game of football without getting into the geopolitics of whatever cnut foots the bill.
This is the part I don't get.

I get people aren't happy. I get it. But surely they understand nothing can change with their views, within this forum. Why be so upset? Surely it is draining?

troylocker

Christ sake it's fecking football. And we don't even have a say! As much as people enjoy going through this mental exercise of righteousness in "not allowing them to take the club" because of the laws of their country, none of what anyone on this forum says matters. So instead you can choose to accept it and enjoy Manchester United football in what will probably be a better era than the one we were currently in under the Glazers for the last decade, or just quit and stick to your self appointed standards. But don't be melodramatic acting like it's "losing faith in humanity" because some people accept that every billionaire is most likely a scummy person and instead they'd rather just support their club to watch a fecking game of football without getting into the geopolitics of whatever cnut foots the bill.
Exaclty. It's fecking football! There's plenty of clubs out there who hasn't become a sportwashing project for a dictatorship state to root for.

footballbite

There is nothing exciting about being owned by Elon Musk. I fear he'd be worse than the glazers.
I doubt it - Musk is far richer than the Glazers, more vain than the Glazers and also supported Utd as a kid; he'd be more sensitive to them being unsuccessful on the pitch, and less likely to try and milk it as a cash-cow for a quick buck.

The Glazers need/needed the dough more than him and haven't appeared to be that worried about the on-pitch side of things.

Spoony

The People's President
I think the conviction that Ratcliffe isn't serious stems cognitive dissonance of wanting oil money

everything points to him being serious at this point

but he won't outbid the Qatari's so relax lads
I think he's just up against some of the richest people in the world. And he's hardly a pauper.

crossy1686

career ending
I think the conviction that Ratcliffe isn't serious stems cognitive dissonance of wanting oil money

everything points to him being serious at this point

but he won't outbid the Qatari's so relax lads
It's probably that, and that he's been so open in the press about making a bid and wanting to be linked. We'll find out if he's put the offer up or not, then we'll know for sure. But lowballing an offer just so you can be involved is also 'not serious'.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
When super exclusive brands is for sale normal valuation flies out of the window.

Clubs like Manchester United, Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers (for example) operate in the same stratosphere as Rolex and Ferrari and those brands can't be valued from a normal economical formula. How do you value prestige and world wide recognition? The second part is that these brands is nearly never is up for sale. Whenever it happens a bidding is the only solution because on face value you will have dozens of buyers. That's why a extremely successful businessman like Elon Musk is interested. He know value when he sees it.

I fully expect the price to be close to the sellers valuation.

The Glazers has already have public meetings with the investors from Qatar so I take that as a given that they're almost in agreement regarding all the variable factors in the sale process. A new owner don't primary buy United to earn money short term, probably not even middle term. Run the business in a successful way for 20-30 year and a investment in Man United is probably more successfull from an economicak standpoint then invest in the stock market. (you dont have to look any further then our current owners economical success with United) Not to mention all the fun and exitmenets following owning a succefull forball club.
Good post.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I doubt it - Musk is richer than the Glazers, more vain than the Glazers and also supported Utd as a kid; he'd be more sensitive to them being unsuccessful on the pitch, and less likely to try and milk it as a cash-cow for a quick buck.

The Glazers need/needed the dough more than him and haven't appeared to be that worried about the on-pitch side of things.
Musk would be shit for the general club though. A lot more than just on pitch results. If anyone would sack Ten Hag, it'd be someone like Musk. He'd need to be the center of attention. He'd sack so much of the other staff, overwork them etc. It'd be a hostile work environment. The club has close to 1000 employees, there's more to it than just playing staff.

crossy1686

career ending
Who is looking the other way?
People say this stuff to sound like they're the only ones who care. Feck it, I'd take their money, give it all to a bunch of gays and massively fund the women's team. What happens then? Was it still sportswashing? Are we all still burying our heads in the sand? People need to realise that they're going to spend this money anyway, if not United, then Liverpool or whoever else sees the size of these bids and wants in on the action, maybe Arsenal or Tottenham. Who gives a feck where the money comes from as long as you use it for good? If you don't someone else will!

Jamaica UTD

As someone who lives a commonwealth country, the outrage in here from UK people over Middle Eastern owners is laughable and comes across as racist.

The British Empire enslaved, terrorised, and forcefully ruled over millions people, even as recently as 60 years ago.

If we don't want owners from the middle east maybe we should scrutinise these UK owners and their historical source of wealth as well.

cyberman

People say this stuff to sound like they're the only ones who care. Feck it, I'd take their money, give it all to a bunch of gays and massively fund the women's team. What happens then? Was it still sportswashing? Are we all still burying our heads in the sand? People need to realise that they're going to spend this money anyway, if not United, then Liverpool or whoever else sees the size of these bids and wants in on the action, maybe Arsenal or Tottenham. Who gives a feck where the money comes from as long as you use it for good? If you don't someone else will!
It’s more to the fact we can literally do nothing about it, you’d think they were talking directly to the Glazers.
Do these people want me to stop watching football now? As if I’m not going to get sucked into the first game of next season anyway?

troylocker

because I have so I don’t need to imagine. There is a reason hundreds and thousands move to the these tyrannical dictatorships and I’m talking about non Muslims and white westerners.

Qatar is probably not responsible for 0.0005% of the innocent lives killed by UK in Afghanistan
Have been to a few. My guess would be that the reason you're refering to is not the freedom the country offers to their natives....might have something to do with money...

Your whataboutism doesn't ease up on any of the lacking basic human rights I mentioned.
There are worse nations out there and other crimes against human rights, that doesn't make the Qatarian Royal family any better.

mu4c_20le

To be fair, at least they don't kill their gays like the saudis. Just threaten them with a little jail time.

Flexdegea

If they're smart, they'll have seen what City did in the early days and understand that's how NOT to do it.

They'll jump straight to the phase of getting a proper CEO (for the football side) and a proper DOF in place. Arnold should keep his job but I can imagine them beefing up the football side.

Will they try and tempt Guardiola? He's clearly a man who loves a pound note and if the Qataris take over United they can give him a blank cheque.

Not saying that's what I hope will happen (ET is doing a brilliant job) but in the Qatar-UAE soft power struggle it would be a massive coup to persuade the most glamorous manager in the world to switch sides.

One of the worse hot takes I've read this month.

Has a sprinkle of Qanon about it.

Seeing some man daft posts like Hag be on his way out whoever buys us. Reads and sounds like they are secretly hoping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.