Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav_9me

The full menu:
Butter Poached Maine Lobster American Osetra Caviar Delicata Squash Raviolo Tarragon Sauce

Calotte of Beef, Shallot Marmalade Triple Cooked Butter Potatoes Sunchoke & Creamed Watercress
Red Wine Reduction
ITK

giggs-beckham

Clueless
The full menu:
Butter Poached Maine Lobster American Osetra Caviar Delicata Squash Raviolo Tarragon Sauce

Calotte of Beef, Shallot Marmalade Triple Cooked Butter Potatoes Sunchoke & Creamed Watercress
Red Wine Reduction
No cheeseburger fries or a well done steak in sight.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Its quite funny to think how Manchester United used to be owned by local small business owners like Louis Edwards, who got the team winning the European Cup and built the stadium from the ground, and now we’re debating which Oil Rich Nation can possibly afford us.
Louis Edwards was as dodgy as any oil rich nation, Google him if you don't know about him

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Adnan is quite knowledgeable about Murtough. I dare to say that he is the most knowledgeable on the matter in the CAF. Which of course lead to a clash with me as he (Murtough not Adnan of course) would be the first guy to kick out of the club if given the opportunity.
To be honest with you mate, my clash with you or anyone else over John Murtough was due to a narrative being put forth about the man that wasn't in any way true imo. And I apologise if I may have come across as being untoward in our argument in the past. You're more than entitled to disagree with me, because I'm just as fallible as anyone else.

But for me John Murtough only became the defacto DoF, after both Solskjaer and Woodward left the building. And then he had to contend with making hiring and firing calls after the mess he inherited. So he was in a position where the transfer window was on the horizon with a scouting network being led by two men who were put in place by Ed Woodward. He made the decision to fire both heads of scouting and went with ten Hag picks. He's subsequently replaced both head scouts and the new scouts at the top of the chain along with the news data science department will need to be influential in the next summer window or else there will be far more questions than answers over the football structure.

And if we compare both Murtough and Michael Edwards as far as experience goes before they were installed as DoFs. Then I believe Murtough was the more experienced man out of the two. Because he wasn't just a sports scientist or performance analyst, but he was also very experienced at modernising football clubs when it came to staffing and developing scouting networks which is documented in the piece by Laurie Whitwell in The Athletic.

I personally believe from what I've read and heard about Murtough, that he's been good for the club. And a change of ownership could well see a turnover of staff on the football side of the club. But I personally think it would be sensible to keep hold of Murtough because his experience on the structural side of the football club would be valuable.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
1988 the club was going to get bought by Knighton for 30m tops. 34 years later it’s worth 5bn+
I thought it was 20m and it was 1989 - I was in the Stretford End the day of that ridiculous stunt on the pitch, we were all gobsmacked thinking who the feck is this moron!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What experience does Brailsford has in football as compared to others? Why is someone whose career in cycling is shrouded by scandals be more appropriate in choosing a football CEO then the owner himself? What is someone with such chequered history doing as INEOS head of sports in the first place?

There again we're talking of a company whose owner who had supported Brexit and who had had threatened to close shop if EU laws on pollution are implemented. Someone who had polluted many areas in Britain including Manchester itself. In fact Ineos is considered the major polluter in Scotland. Anything surrounding Jim Ratcliffe seem either shady or bordering amateur from his late bid to get Chelsea (whom he's a season ticket holder despite managing United) to how his clubs are run which is characterized by minimum investment, little progress and a bike guy now director of sports sleeping in a Caravan close to Nice FC training grounds. A guy that was caught with his pants down in his line of expertise and yet he is expected to be this guru in any sort of sports including one he has no experience in.

Regarding ME owners, at the risk of generalizing (which I might be doing). I know three things having met people of their ilk. They are insanely rich, they are insanely proud and they can't stomach failure. Thus they would throw millions at the problem and they'll keep hiring the best people up until they get it right. Jim Ratcliffe doesn't come across at that sort of person at least in the way he's managing his football clubs.
You keep going back to the same points you've made yet also contradicted multiple times.

You state Ratcliffe is a bad man for supporting Brexit, but are happy with filthy rich ME owners,
You state that Ratcliffe has a Chelsea season ticket yet were advocating for an American investment firm who own shares in another Premiership club to take over!
You keep stating Brailsford is a bad man for being embroiled in controversy, yet also want ME owners, and have no response to the fact that a team blowing the league apart in Newcastle wanted his expertise to assist them at the start of the season.
Also you claimed that Adnan is the most knowledgeable about John Mutough on here which is also far from the case, plenty of other posters don't have to use Google for their knowledge.

You are blinkered, close minded and shortsighted. All bad things when trying to engage in debate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You keep going back to the same points you've made yet also contradicted multiple times.

You state Ratcliffe is a bad man for supporting Brexit, but are happy with filthy rich ME owners,
You state that Ratcliffe has a Chelsea season ticket yet were advocating for an American investment firm who own shares in another Premiership club to take over!
You keep stating Brailsford is a bad man for being embroiled in controversy, yet also want ME owners, and have no response to the fact that a team blowing the league apart in Newcastle wanted his expertise to assist them at the start of the season.
Also you claimed that Adnan is the most knowledgeable about John Mutough on here which is also far from the case, plenty of other posters don't have to use Google for their knowledge.

You are blinkered, close minded and shortsighted. All bad things when trying to engage in debate.
Can you tell us what exactly Brailsford assisted Newcastle over and how it has benefited them?

I hope you don't run away like you usually do, Champ.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
To be honest with you mate, my clash with you or anyone else over John Murtough was due to a narrative being put forth about the man that wasn't in any way true imo. And I apologise if I may have come across as being untoward in our argument in the past. You're more than entitled to disagree with me, because I'm just as fallible as anyone else.

But for me John Murtough only became the defacto DoF, after both Solskjaer and Woodward left the building. And then he had to contend with making hiring and firing calls after the mess he inherited. So he was in a position where the transfer window was on the horizon with a scouting network being led by two men who were put in place by Ed Woodward. He made the decision to fire both heads of scouting and went with ten Hag picks. He's subsequently replaced both head scouts and the new scouts at the top of the chain along with the news data science department will need to be influential in the next summer window or else there will be far more questions than answers over the football structure.

And if we compare both Murtough and Michael Edwards as far as experience goes before they were installed as DoFs. Then I believe Murtough was the more experienced man out of the two. Because he wasn't just a sports scientist or performance analyst, but he was also very experienced at modernising football clubs when it came to staffing and developing scouting networks which is documented in the piece by Laurie Whitwell in The Athletic.

I personally believe from what I've read and heard about Murtough, that he's been good for the club. And a change of ownership could well see a turnover of staff on the football side of the club. But I personally think it would be sensible to keep hold of Murtough because his experience on the structural side of the football club would be valuable.
It's water down the bridge mate and I hope that I won't be re-opening this discussion once again. I only mentioned you because you're the most knowledgeable pro Murtough poster I know and while you weren't able to change my mind on the guy, you certainly gave me ample food for thought. As you well know I am ill suited to defend Murtough which is why I involved you in the first place.

Regarding the guy I thought Murtough was getting a job that he had little experience. That might have worked if we had a solid structure in place but we didn't. The whole structure was being lead by people with little/no experience in the job from the owners right to the manager.I still think that Murtough had Woodward's ear throughout his entire time at United, that he's inappropriate for the DOF job and that this summer kind of vindicated it (we couldn't provide alternatives to ETH's target, the Rabiot/De Jong mess and the fact that we overpaid for players both in terms of fees and salaries). However I can't deny his work at youth level/women's team so if he is ready to accept a role were he focused solely on one/two of them then I guess he could still provide some valid contribution for the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's water down the bridge mate and I hope that I won't be re-opening this discussion once again. I only mentioned you because you're the most knowledgeable pro Murtough poster I know and while you weren't able to change my mind on the guy, you certainly gave me ample food for thought. As you well know I am ill suited to defend Murtough which is why I involved you in the first place.

Regarding the guy I thought Murtough was getting a job that he had little experience. That might have worked if we had a solid structure in place but we didn't. The whole structure was being lead by people with little/no experience in the job from the owners right to the manager.I still think that Murtough had Woodward's ear throughout his entire time at United, that he's inappropriate for the DOF job and that this summer kind of vindicated it (we couldn't provide alternatives to ETH's target, the Rabiot/De Jong mess and the fact that we overpaid for players both in terms of fees and salaries). However I can't deny his work at youth level/women's team so if he is ready to accept a role were he focused solely on one/two of them then I guess he could still provide some valid contribution for the club.
That's fair enough mate.

Bert_

I have been obsessively trying to find info on who the potential buyer can be the last day or two. Mapped out the legal team at Latham & Watkins doing the transaction, looked at social media if any selfies could be found, gone through transaction records, checked many reports.

But I just can't get a feel either way. Nothing feel quite right. You don't get the feeling that there is symetrics between the report, one thing point in one direction, then the next thing point in another direction.

*Why is Dubai mentioned? Because they are the one country who don't own a football team. Glazers traveled to Dubai. Like its definitely not the worst guess, but at the same time -- Chelsea was for sale a while back. Why didn't they try to buy Chelsea if they wanted to get a top football club? The Saudi's (another fund than the Newcastle owners) at least made a big offer for Chelsea, but they were cut on a technically.

The PL already cleared one Saudi fund from not being identical to the state. With that precedent -- another Saudi fund "should" not be prevented from buying another PL team. Like why would they? The PL finds that one fund is not run by the Saudi state. Then they find that another fund is not run by the Saudi state. But these two funds cannot own a PL team each -- because both are run by the Saudi state or what? Makes no sense. The Saudi media fund at least made a bid for Chelsea, which Dubai didn't.

*Jimmy Radcliff? Checks a lot of boxes. But not really the biggest one. An investment in Manchester United of a total of like 8-9bn can be seen as attractive -- for someone that has so much money that they don't know how to spend it, and is willing to roll the dice and certainly don't mind the additional power and influence owning Manchester United means. For Radcliff, the little I know of him, it would be all about "fan value". Is that enough to go way above and beyond on the purchase price of an already extremely expensive toy? I don't quite get the feeling that it adds up to be honest.

*US Consortium? Like, there is no thing as a "US consortium" in business. Oh here comes another US consortium, they often make these type of investments. Except in football -- where it undoubtedly has somewhat been a thing. But if you look at big Merger & Acquisitions -- its downright rare that a consortium is involved. It simply means that the transaction is too big for one party -- but that there still is logic in making the transaction with the help of several bidders. There is no logic behind expecting a buyer to be a "consortium" -- since its the exception, not the rule. If anything, it just means that someone is punching a bit above its weight class. Perhaps there is a logic for it in sport team ownerships, but its not that obvious. For me consortium's make much more sense if its infrastructure or real estate that is sold. Something really really basic. Like lets say a power grid is sold, it doesn't matter much if you own 75% or 25% of it. Its worth the same, you aren't worried about what management will do with the grid. You just send out the bills.

Is it private equity? Venture capital? A hedge fund?

Like it can of course be more than one buyer -- but its just a very unclear term from my POV.

*I for a while got the feeling that it could be a US betting company (MGM / Ceasars). As I am sure most know, the US online betting market have opened up rapidly the last years. Naturally, existing entities in the US is trying to take their slice of it and the established European betting companies are of course investing a ton to also get a foothold there. But its kind of an unfair fight, because the European companies have a home market that isn't challenged at all by the US companies coming out of the woodwork, and the fight is solely on the US companies back yard. They can of course buy existing betting companies in Europe -- which they also have done. But MGM or Ceasars buying United -- it is a different kind of statement. Raine Group have done business with these companies lately.

But I just don't think they are strong enough. Draftkings have a market cap of like 10bn, the bigger US alternatives perhaps 14bn. They invest tremendous amounts in advertising -- and its just not profitable business right now.

*While I certainly can't rule out any of the most talked about alternatives above, I just can't shake the feeling that the buyer could be a surprise option.

Jim O'Neill gave an interview on Bloomberg just the other day. He tried to buy United what 10 years ago with a 1.2bn offer. He trashed the current asking price. His group (the Red Knight) definitely is very connected. Its full of ex bosses from Goldman and other big investment banks. If Jim O'Neill doesn't have a clue about who is buying United -- then its kept close to the chest. If he does know it, what he said could be interesting.

And he said one thing that caught my attention, first basically that he would never take a proposal with the current ask to his companions, he then added the interesting part which was something like a strong word of caution to whomever buys United, that it will not be a walk in the park to own the Club. There will be a lot of drama attached to it. And like with the attention it gets -- it won't be a walk in the park to own it. Drama at the club could reflect on certain type of owners. When something like the Mason Greenwood incident happens -- the owners could be asked about it. But only, if the new owners are responsible and will be expected to act like it. For some kind of hedge fund, they are untouchable. Faceless. How much have the enormous protests impacted the Glazers? Not much. Its not like Abu Dabi gets exposed if its exposed that City had cheated the FFP -- nobody cares, nobody expects anything else from them.

It doesn't have to mean anything, but to me it did sound like Jim O'Neill wanted to scare someone away or at least criticize a buyer for not thinking it through. Who would this be a thing for? Most certainly someone like Apple Inc. Like Tim Cook don't want an event meant to be about presenting iPhone 15 be stormed by angry fans or UK journalists asking why United haven't bought a new GK despite lost the first 3 games of the season. Like, you get what I mean. There will be protests if OT is to be replaced by a new arena. Whatever. The attention everything United gets -- its massive. Even if Apple is talked about all the time, its not on the headlines of big papers often.

I don't know, but listening to Jim O'Neill, I just did not get the impression that United would be bought by either faceless money/owners or scruple free people if you get what I mean. The above could also apply to Jim Radcliff -- but not more so than to Jim himself (unless he wants Radcliff to join the Red Knights).

I wouldn't rule out an industrial buyer. I know many would, I respect their arguments for sure. It certainly don't have to be Apple. Could be Tencent or Alibaba or Amazon. It was when I saw this interview that I started to consider the Betting industry, but like I said above, they are too small. Jim ONeill's warning would of course have made sense in relation to MGM, Ceasars and co too.

*The last alternative I would not rule out is that -- a large political risk -- is seen on the Horizon. Something that would result in clubs being worth a lot less in 10-20 years time. And hence everyone just puts up their clubs for sale right now while they still can get premium pay.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I made my argument clear regarding why I don't think SJR is not suited to the role which spans from the moral sight (which TBH most of our prospective buyers would fail in but at least they don't blow smoke up their arse by claiming to be United supporters), right on how much investment he made in the club, his football credentials, the progress his football clubs had made and the lack of credibility and football experience his man on top has. If you wish to stop the debate then fair enough. Personally I'd rather see Adnan pick up the tab at this point as he's a far better communicator then I am.

Having said that let's me say one thing. Speaking about engaging in debate, well, I am not the one attacking the poster rather then the argument.

Champ

Can you tell us what exactly Brailsford assisted Newcastle over and how it has benefited them?

I hope you don't run away like you usually do, Champ.
Brailsford took the ‘opportunity to share his renowned approach to sporting culture, mindset and performance as well as taking questions from several members of the squad and backroom team.’

Ashworth said: “I’ve known Sir Dave for a number of years, working across various different sports and he is without doubt the best in world sport at creating high-performance culture and turning that into winning.

High praise indeed. Granted they are mates, but speaks volumes that Ashworth felt the need to bring someone like Brailsford in to spend time on his project.

Champ

I made my argument clear regarding why I don't think SJR is not suited to the role which spans from the moral sight (which TBH most of our prospective buyers would fail in but at least they don't blow smoke up their arse by claiming to be United supporters), right on how much investment he made in the club, his football credentials, the progress his football clubs had made and the lack of credibility and football experience his man on top has. If you wish to stop the debate then fair enough. Personally I'd rather see Adnan pick up the tab at this point as he's a far better communicator then I am.

Having said that let's me say one thing. Speaking about engaging in debate, well, I am not the one attacking the poster rather then the argument.
You don't have a valid argument that exists, as you flit around from point to point depending on what you read that same day.

It's far from an attack on you, moreso your viewpoint which exists only to belittle one potential buyer for the same contradictory reasons you'd want another buyer for.

I don't wish to stop the debate, just would rather the debate gets widened so it actually encompasses INEOs' potential offer as a valid one, as the reasons you give for it not being a valid option can be attributed to near enough every other potential bid.

Your contradictions are what's stopping the debate from growing.

stw2022

The full menu:

Red Wine Reduction
Sunchoke and creamed is my Grindr profile wishlist

RopersReturn

According to Goldbridge, it’s more likely we’ll be sold to US bidders, possibly a consortium and the sale will proceed fairly quickly, as the Glazers have been in negotiations with a buyer for a while. Based on the simple reason that its easier to buy a PL club than an existing US franchise such as a NFL club, plus the strength of the dollar, this outcome seems fairly plausible.

Mr. Robot

According to Goldbridge, it’s more likely we’ll be sold to US bidders, possibly a consortium and the sale will proceed fairly quickly, as the Glazers have been in negotiations with a buyer for a while. Based on the simple reason that its easier to buy a PL club than an existing US franchise such as a NFL club, plus the strength of the dollar, this outcome seems fairly plausible.
Goldbridge (real name Brent Di Cesare because Mark is just a character he plays) knows nothing.

He’s in this game for the money. And click bait nonsense makes him lots of it.

Red00012

Take no notice of Goldbridge he knows as much as we do

cyberman

Pretty sure all billionaires have dollars as their currency?

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
The full menu:

Red Wine Reduction
Is it better than kfc and ketchup?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Louis Edwards was as dodgy as any oil rich nation, Google him if you don't know about him
I didn’t know about that. I also didn’t know (or had forgotten maybe) about his son Martin resigning from the United Board after getting a police caution for a “toilet peeping incident!”

stw2022

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully, you have a lot more to offer than your tiny, but crispy albeit sunchoke watercress.
Not at my age, love
Goldbridge (real name Brent Di Cesare because Mark is just a character he plays) knows nothing.

He’s in this game for the money. And click bait nonsense makes him lots of it.

Always felt this. I don't believe for a second the Glazers have ever dropped their 100% silence vow over every decision they've ever made and suddenly started leaking to Goldbridge and his like. It's pure guess work

Speaking of which I do wonder if it's the estimates they've got on stadium redevelopment that had made them change their minds about ownership. Maybe they've concluded to build new or refurbish isn't viable in current financial climate and the yearly costs just to maintain at current standards would be too much going forward as the old place falls further into disrepair

maverickjesus

Speaking of which I do wonder if it's the estimates they've got on stadium redevelopment that had made them change their minds about ownership. Maybe they've concluded to build new or refurbish isn't viable in current financial climate and the yearly costs just to maintain at current standards would be too much going forward as the old place falls further into disrepair
In the NFL, rich owners can just strong arm the local government into paying for a new stadium as a bribe for not taking the franchise away. Doesn't work here, once the stadium is a pit and needs money filling in its on you to stump up the cash. Yet another damning indictment on the Glazers that they duck out on the first sign of actually having to invest.

arthurka

In the NFL, rich owners can just strong arm the local government into paying for a new stadium as a bribe for not taking the franchise away. Doesn't work here, once the stadium is a pit and needs money filling in its on you to stump up the cash. Yet another damning indictment on the Glazers that they duck out on the first sign of actually having to invest.
Exactly people interested should just Google the Bucs stadium and how that came about.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly people interested should just Google the Bucs stadium and how that came about.
It doesn't just apply to the Glazers or the Bucs. It's pretty much the only model whether you are talking about NBA, NFL or NHL, it's one of the reasons why many fanbases don't look at new ownership that positively since there is the risk of seeing the franchise move to a new city that is willing to pay for brand new infrastructures.

stw2022

It doesn't just apply to the Glazers or the Bucs. It's pretty much the only model whether you are talking about NBA, NFL or NHL, it's one of the reasons why many fanbases don't look at new ownership that positively since there is the risk of seeing the franchise move to a new city that is willing to pay for brand new infrastructures.
I never got that whole 'moving the franchise' thing, which probably why American fans seem as emotionally attached to their sports team as you might be with a Netflix series you quite like

"Go Team!"

Imagine a new team pitching up in Manchester, London or Liverpool. They'd be hated.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Goldbridge will know feck all

arthurka

It's common that new stadiums and facilities are being paid by taxes, that's probably why the owners haven't done shit for OT the tax payers aren't ready to pay for it. It's one of the things that happened with the Bucs stadium back in the 90's they also paid portion of the new renovations. To be fair bit City and West Ham are using tax payers paid stadiums. Our owners are not willing to finance the renovation of OT fully out if their pockets.

JPRouve

Scout
I never got that whole 'moving the franchise' thing, which probably why American fans seem as emotionally attached to their sports team as you might be with a Netflix series you quite like

"Go Team!"

Imagine a new team pitching up in Manchester, London or Liverpool. They'd be hated.
You can't really make a direct comparison because professional and amateur Football are directly linked and intertwined, almost all professional clubs from amateur local amateur clubs. In the US professional sport aren't organically created, they come from the will of an association(NFL, MLB, NHL or NBA), the professional franchise is a local entity of the larger association.
College sport is the closer equivalent of how sports are organized outside of the US, not professional sport.

JPRouve

Scout
It's common that new stadiums and facilities are being paid by taxes, that's probably why the owners haven't done shit for OT the tax payers aren't ready to pay for it. It's one of the things that happened with the Bucs stadium back in the 90's they also paid portion of the new renovations. To be fair bit City and West Ham are using tax payers paid stadiums. Our owners are not willing to finance the renovation of OT fully out if their pockets.
I get where you are coming from but I feel that there is a bit of naivety here. We are talking about a massive investment, one that the Glazers can't afford themselves, they don't have that kind of money. If I was to look around, Lyon is a good example, they had wealthier owners than United in mainly Seydoux, he spent a fair amount on the club over the years but when it came to funding new infrastructures, he shared the bill with Aulas and the club itself which has led to Lyon not spending on the transfer market and reducing their wage bill for a nearly 5 years.

That's where I feel people are a bit naive. Unless the owner of the club is stupidily wealthy, he won't finance that kind of things fully out of his pockets, most of it will be paid by the club itself or it will be postponed until someone with ridiculously deep pockets and little care for money comes along. The other alternative being a stadium financed through taxes.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I get where you are coming from but I feel that there is a bit of naivety here. We are talking about a massive investment, one that the Glazers can't afford themselves, they don't have that kind of money. If I was to look around, Lyon is a good example, they had wealthier owners than United in mainly Seydoux, he spent a fair amount on the club over the years but when it came to funding new infrastructures, he shared the bill with Aulas and the club itself which has led to Lyon not spending on the transfer market and reducing their wage bill for a nearly 5 years.

That's where I feel people are a bit naive. Unless the owner of the club is stupidily wealthy, he won't finance that kind of things fully out of his pockets, most of it will be paid by the club itself or it will be postponed until someone with ridiculously deep pockets and little care for money comes along. The other alternative being a stadium financed through taxes.
Wluld it not be surprising if he was not stupidly wealthy? I mean, who will buy Man Utd or Liverpool now for the type of money being mentioned with less FFP and more competion from Abu Dhabi and Saudi? What will be their motivation? Probably not the free cash flow?

JPRouve

Scout
Wluld it not be surprising if he was not stupidly wealthy? I mean, who will buy Man Utd or Liverpool now for the type of money being mentioned with less FFP and more competion from Abu Dhabi and Saudi? What will be their motivation? Probably not the free cash flow?
The point was about the Glazers, they are not stupidly wealthy. But even in the case of a stupidly wealthy new owner a fair amount of them care about money and care about not throwing it out of the window. To some extent fans need to pay attention to these things, a financially reckless owner can be worrisome. There is a balance to have between the willingness to spend and being senseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.