Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

So what would being owned by Dubai mean for us ... How are they compared to Saudis taking over Newcastle, Abu Dhabi owning City (which is basically just UAE, so how would just their main city own United now?), Qatar owning PSG, etc.
Is it a sports washing project? Are they more progressive than the other middle eastern nations? Is it a case of being state owned that's ultimately the issue more than the values of the people behind the money? Just makes it a lack of competitiveness because of ~infinite money?
More a vanity project if anything. Dubai is seen as more cosmopolitan and 'international' than Abu Dhabi, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them more progressive, its objectively still the same dictatorship with a questionable human rights record...to put it generously.

On the plus side its not the headchopping, journalist murderers who now own Newcastle. They're the absolute worst of the bunch.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
So what are you hoping for here, exactly?
I don't want to be owned by middle eastern torturers, so I'd prefer the least worst capitalist, accepting that will make it unlikely we can compete with City or Newcastle down the line. That could well be Ratcliffe but I'd definitely want someone doing it for corporate PR as well as return on capital, like Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos. The problem with the Glazers is they didn't really care what the fans thought or if games were won or lost. They really only cared about the dividend. Darcie Glazer is known to have taken out a bunch of loans using her United shares as collatoral so if interest rates are going up and her dividend is going down, she won't be happy no matter what the score is at full time.

Last edited:

LARulz

The CEO at Nice is sir Jim’s brother, Bob Ratcliffe. There is nothing to say that SJR has anything to do directly with the running of OGC Nice. He could just be the wealthy backer.
It's the same thing as the Glazer's in the sense they appoint the people to run the club. If they are shit then it's on him

TheReligion

Abusive
Oh and it’s not important to me either?! Thanks.
Well why post shit content like that then?

If you’re going to call him (and the consortium that will be involved) the equivalent of the Glazers you best back that with some valid reasons why. More than ‘have you seen where Nice are in the table’.

Otherwise it’s just blatantly WUMming

Telsim

Hoping some Arabs price Ratcliffe out. I don't want American Glazers swapped for Brexit Glazers.
Yep. Some people whose grasp on reality is ever-so-fleeting think this clown is any different than what we've had up until this point. Replacing one Glazer with another Glazer. Great.

I'm not worried about him. Doubt his offer can compete with what the rest will come up with. If it's true the ICD are in for it, then it's pretty much over.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
The cynical me thinks the deal has already been sewn up. I am sure negotiations have already taken place for months. Just that it is now so close that they risk breaching stock exchange rules by not making clear their intentions given the impact on the share price.
Possibly, but it seems like this will be a transaction pursuant to the Cayman Island’a Companies Act. I.e., the Glazers can privately of course always sell their shares whenever they want. But anyone looking to buy the company will probably want the whole lot. So they don’t have to bother with all restrictions of operating an entity with minority owners.

Hence, I would guess that we will see a formal process under Cayman law. I talked with a friend who I know have made transactions there, who told me that it was common right now with so called Merger Take Private transactions. Other alternatives are a classic tender offer or a scheme of arrangements.

My point is just, in such process (a merger), a bidder makes a formal offer to the Board of Directors. All independent directors decide if the offer should be accepted. If it is accepted, and if a general meeting of all shareholders of Manchester United plc votes in favor of it (the Glazers probably controls that vote by themselves), the transaction is done. All shareholders get a cash sum.

To do that, the board must do it’s due diligence and make sure there is a proper auction process that cannot be challenged. Which it seems like the Board now has initiated.

I don’t quiet get why the Glazers would ‘sell to their pals’ in the US, and not let Raine find the highest offer (that would be accepted by the PL).

However — the above is contingent on a buyer wanting to acquire 100% of the shares in Manchester United plc. If someone is content with just taking over the Glazer’s shares (and absolute control of the company), the Glazers could chose to sell to whomever they wants for whatever price they want. But if they were planning to do that — I am not sure why they would start the process with Raine.

A lot of speculation above, could definitely be missing something rendering it incorrect.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Rule him out. No way our club value will increase more than the amount we will be bought for.

Plus this sounds more like Glazers than any other potential buyer
I disagree with the notion our value has peaked.

Women's football has really taken off and will continue to rise, stadium expansions will be lucrative in the longer run, Premier League pre seasons abroad will be a huge revenue and TV revenue is going to be more tasty as streaming platforms show their hand more.

mav_9me

So what would being owned by Dubai mean for us ... How are they compared to Saudis taking over Newcastle, Abu Dhabi owning City (which is basically just UAE, so how would just their main city own United now?), Qatar owning PSG, etc.
Is it a sports washing project? Are they more progressive than the other middle eastern nations? Is it a case of being state owned that's ultimately the issue more than the values of the people behind the money? Just makes it a lack of competitiveness because of ~infinite money?
Dubai is independent of Abu Dhabi. Two different emirates. As has been discussed in this thread, Abu Dhabi have waaaaaaay more oil and consequently way more money. Dubai is more dependent on tourism, still have a lot of money.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Well why post shit content like that then?

If you’re going to call him (and the consortium that will be involved) the equivalent of the Glazers you best back that with some valid reasons why. More than ‘have you seen where Nice are in the table’.

Otherwise it’s just blatantly WUMming
I’ve posted it at least 4 times and no one seems to give a flying feck. But yeah, call me a WUM why don’t you.

Edit: here it is if you can stop calling me a WUM for 2 mins - simply because I disagree with the CAF’s darling Ratcliffe.

This is what a French flair on r/soccer said last time the Ratcliffe news popped up.

You should look at what they are doing with the football club they currently own. Their methods may work in lesser sports, but they have zero knowledge about football and they lack the humility to realize it.

Brailsford has apparently taken a liking to being a sporting director, but he's completely out of his depth and it shows in Nice.

And another comment

Every interview with sports directors who've left the team is the same retelling of how Brailsford (the baldy) hires smart people with huge wads of money, those people make smart decisions, then Dave gets into one of his nervous panics, decides he knows better demands they do everything differently and things fall apart

But at least in football there's no doping questions to literally run away from, like he did with that journalist in 2015

This is a comment about another club he/INEOS owns.

He (or rather his company INEOS) also own Swiss side Lausanne Sport and they're absolutely shit now. They've basically been (ab)used as a loan farm for OGC Nice players. They had absolutely no strategic vision for the club. They've transformed more and more into a plastic club without any true identity. Last season they got relegated despite some fairly hefty investments made by INEOS over the years. It's quite surprising given that other clubs manage to stay in the Swiss top flight despite far lower budgets

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
More a vanity project if anything. Dubai is seen as more cosmopolitan and 'international' than Abu Dhabi, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them more progressive, its objectively still the same dictatorship with a questionable human rights record...to put it generously.

On the plus side its not the headchopping, journalist murderers who now own Newcastle. They're the absolute worst of the bunch.
Yeah I think in my order of "things that would bother me" about the owners (ignoring how they handle the club) it would rank as:
  1. Morality/ethics of the source of ownership
  2. Using the club as sportswashing (linked to point 1 I guess)
  3. Being state funded, removing competitiveness in the game due to ~funds
So yeah, obviously would just rather a source who just isn't tied to questionable human rights laws...

phelans shorts

Yep. Some people whose grasp on reality is ever-so-fleeting think this clown is any different than what we've had up until this point. Replacing one Glazer with another Glazer. Great.

I'm not worried about him. Doubt his offer can compete with what the rest will come up with. If it's true the ICD are in for it, then it's pretty much over.
Some people have these things called morals. Might be worth googling.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dubai is independent of Abu Dhabi. Two different emirates. As has been discussed in this thread, Abu Dhabi have waaaaaaay more oil and consequently way more money. Dubai is more dependent on tourism, still have a lot of money.
The guys follow up tweet says we'd dwarf city's wealth but fall well below Newcastle's ?

AdNani

In an Ideal world, Ratcliffe takes over, but i can't see it, Amazon would be interesting, But it'll be the Dubai Investment lot, we'll be loaded and probably be successful but it's not a great prospect, especially after i've spent years slagging city off for being state owned:lol::lol:

Fooza

We need wealth to get our infrastructure even more superior than oil clubs out there for the next 20 years, will Jim have that? hmmm

mav_9me

The guys follow up tweet says we'd dwarf city's wealth but fall well below Newcastle's ?

Think of Abu Dhabi and Dubai as two out of seven monarchies/emirates that decided to work together and were federated in 1971 — whereas the likes of Bahrain and Qatar established separate nation states in close proximity. Much of the pertinent information can be deduced from a couple of maps...

• Abu Dhabi is the largest in terms of land area, by far (at roughly 87% of the total).

• Abu Dhabi also claims the lion's share of proven hydrocarbon reserves (roughly 90 billion barrels out of a total 98 billion barrels of oil, and much of the gas as well).
Dubai has certain things going for — it has the largest population of the seven emirates, is more cosmopolitan and globally oriented, and its economy is diverse (focused on services, commerce, real estate, tourism, and so forth instead of mining and quarrying); but Abu Dhabi is the real economic nucleus (accounting for ⅔rd of the collective GDP) as well as the administrative capital.
The United Arab Emirates is an elective monarchy formed from a federation of seven emirates, consisting of Abu Dhabi (the capital), Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm Al Quwain. Each emirate is governed by an Emir.

The Emirate of Dubai is ruled by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. Dubai is the capital of Emirate of Dubai and is bordered to the south by the emirate of Abu Dhabi, to the northeast by the emirate of Sharjah, to the southeast by the country of Oman, to the east by the emirate of Ajman, and to the north by the emirate of Ras Al Khaimah.

The UAE capital – and by far the wealthiest emirate – Abu Dhabi has also seen a population boom in the last 50 years. But there is a marked difference between the UAE’s two most successful emirates – Abu Dhabi still relies on oil for much of its wealth. Today less than 1% of Dubai’s GDP is from oil – at one time it was over half.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/11/dubai-uae-transformation/

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ve posted it at least 4 times and no one seems to give a flying feck. But yeah, call me a WUM why don’t you.

Edit: here it is if you can stop calling me a WUM for 2 mins - simply because I disagree with the CAF’s darling Ratcliffe.

This is what a French flair on r/soccer said last time the Ratcliffe news popped up.

You should look at what they are doing with the football club they currently own. Their methods may work in lesser sports, but they have zero knowledge about football and they lack the humility to realize it.

Brailsford has apparently taken a liking to being a sporting director, but he's completely out of his depth and it shows in Nice.

And another comment

Every interview with sports directors who've left the team is the same retelling of how Brailsford (the baldy) hires smart people with huge wads of money, those people make smart decisions, then Dave gets into one of his nervous panics, decides he knows better demands they do everything differently and things fall apart

But at least in football there's no doping questions to literally run away from, like he did with that journalist in 2015

This is a comment about another club he/INEOS owns.

He (or rather his company INEOS) also own Swiss side Lausanne Sport and they're absolutely shit now. They've basically been (ab)used as a loan farm for OGC Nice players. They had absolutely no strategic vision for the club. They've transformed more and more into a plastic club without any true identity. Last season they got relegated despite some fairly hefty investments made by INEOS over the years. It's quite surprising given that other clubs manage to stay in the Swiss top flight despite far lower budgets
So how is that the British Glazers?

You’re basing it off French Reddit.

Nickelodeon

There are no nice rich people. Best we can hope is a Chelsea like scenario with a smart owner (rather than Boehly). Funds either will be PE backed or state owned. And state owned is an absolute no-no.

Zippycup

I'll be leaving football social media if we do get a Dubai constritium. The virtue signalling will be overwhelming

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why do you want an owner who would not care about the club? Enough of this
I think the logic of some of these fans is the more money the owner has, the less they would need to load the club up with debt and the more we can throw our financial weight to stay relevant.

Spark

You don't get to be that rich without violating human rights along the way.

And its a monarchy, not a dictatorship. And they were installed by the democratic govt that britishers voted in.
They’re no different to the owners of City or Newcastle is my point. Whether their wealth comes from oil or any other source is irrelevant. They’re scumbags and don’t want them tarnishing our club.

And they’re an absolute monarchy that torture and lock up dissidents and stifle any free speech. Ipso facto a dictatorship.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
You’re not fitting the narrative so your comment will be dismissed by the anti Jim brigade.
Mate please dont. Nobody here is of any brigade. We all want a owner who invest and make us compete again at the top level.

There are genuine concerns about every potential owner who are in the running. That doesn’t make anyone part of any brigade

Slysi17

We are fecked if it's Ratcliffe. More Glazer, but at least he will be dead before long, so it won't be 17 years. Probably. You have to be delusional to think he gives a shit about this club. The man literally wanted to buy Chelsea.
It won't be. You think the Glazers will accept when Dubai blow him out of the water. I wouldn't worry

Slysi17

Either an American conglomerate who are already involved in sports teams over there, like Mark Cuban and a couple more, a Middle Eastern or Chinese buyer are the other options.

I think the Glazers would prefer to sell to an American buyer because that's where they'll get the highest bid, ego and all that. I think ultimately though, we'll be sold to a state in the Middle East, the opportunity for sportswashing on a global scale is too good to turn down.
An American won't be the highest bid. It will be a middle east state which will probably be Dubai. People need to accept that as the Glazers doesn't care about sports washing etc.

phelans shorts

Mate please dont. Nobody here is of any brigade. We all want a owner who invest and make us compete again at the top level.

There are genuine concerns about every potential owner who are in the running. That doesn’t make anyone part of any brigade
There are concerns and there’s state run. The two are not even slightly comparable, I’d much rather keep the Glazers than be the latter.

pratyush_utd

I think the logic of some of these fans is the more money the owner has, the less they would need to load the club up with debt and the more we can throw our financial weight to stay relevant.
And i think “care” is bit overrated. You dont want the owner to interfere in day to day activities. I would argue owner who wont interfere in our footballing decisions is better than owner who might support us or care about the club.

Unfortunately Arabs have been pretty good at this

pratyush_utd

There are concerns and there’s state run. The two are not even slightly comparable, I’d much rather keep the Glazers than be the latter.
Its not an easy choice for a lot of other people. I would prefer someone else than state owned entities but my preference means nothing. People who can come up with 6b are very less and they dont score very high on morality list.

Plus Glazers are looking to cash out. So Glazers now are not an option

Status
Not open for further replies.