Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Heisenberg

I'd be happy with this as I'd expect a new stadium and training facilities etc. An amazing infrastructure around Old Trafford in the level that our club needs to have. It's more about the investment in other areas rather than the squad, because I think we can compete for the best players by having this platform to succeed. We will continue to have the best sponsors and consistent top 4 and trophies will snowball that again without the need of risking any form of FFP abuse.
I'd personally rather us invest in refurbishing/upgrading OT than building a potentially soulless new stadium. Maybe I'm in the minority, but there's so much history in that ground, I'd be against letting it go. Just give it some TLC.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
this is a meaningless strawman

its the correct term for a country that uses a sporting event to repair a tarnished reputation
According to who? Who told you that is their agenda? So what is the motivation for a Western country trying to get a World Cup, for instance? Is the immediate assumption that it could only possibly be to I dunno, deflect, away from any sort of negative perception of their country? Or are they immediately separated from each other because 'it's not the same thing' (obviously).

Qatar, like ANY other country, are using sports to advance their country in the same way that ANY other country would want to use it to advance theirs. The immediate surmising that any progressiveness from the ME is 'sportswashing' is ridiculous and xenophobic in and of itself to me. It's saying that the ME should be identified solely by their rightful position in the world as evil barbarians and shouldn't try and 'buy their way into the light'. My point is, your definition of them is likely not the same as their own of themselves. They are simply a sovereign state, with leaders who have the responsibility to do what they feel is best for their country. If your conclusion that Britain bidding for the Olympics in 2012 was not an effort to 'wash' away any stigma held about them from Iraqi invasion, then I see zero reason for Qatar hosting a World Cup or daring to try and do something good for their country being dismissed as such. I'm sure you took Iraqi invasion and Olympics 2012 to be totally disconnected.

Qatar would not be doing anything to 'repair a tarnished reputation', they would be making moves to grow their country just as anyone else would. What you choose to think of them is up to you. In the grand scheme of things, why would they give a shit about whether you agree with their policies or not anyway? The only way it would affect them is that you may choose to not go there on holiday and contribute to tourism. Which is a right that you still reserve whether or not they own United.

This sportswashing thing just says 'we have labelled you as the evil bad guys, stop trying to confuse things by doing anything good. We've already decided not to like you, please make it easy for us by only killing people'. Perhaps if they make a medicinal breakthrough you would be like 'there you go again trying to not accept who you are'. Even taking your statement at its most literal, clearly you have an issue with a nation wanting to repair its reputation.

They are telling you that there is more to their country to homophobia and anything else you don't like, but you have a problem with them being associated with anything other than that, clearly. Who are you to decide that is all they're good for? Do you think Arabs agree with a country where men wear makeup and tight dresses, change genders, get into drunken and drug fuelled debauchery? Probably not, but yet they still come here for the bits they like. They still engage in the sports, still do business. That is because clearly that is not all they associate with Western states. There is good and bad, and people need to accept that there is good and bad in Qatar and ME states. If you choose to not engage with them at all on the basis of the bits that you don't like, it is of course your own right - but they still have a country to run and develop, and there's no reason why they shouldn't look to do so without everything being done from the context of the things you don't agree with.

I've said before in this thread - Qatar just hosted a whole World Cup. They did NOTHING to conceal the fact that they despise homosexuality and drunkards, for example. In front of the cameras, they banned pro-LGBT displays and banned alcohol. They are not as invested in how you view their views on these things as you think. They simply said this is how we do things, now we'll get on with the business of hosting a great World Cup. Which they did. You could choose not to go, that's fine. But they didn't pretend that they were not anti-LGBT so that you could come and like them. But because they are not pro-LGBT also didn't mean that they should not get on with doing what is right for their country and putting on a great show.

The dismissal or simplification of ME sports projects as 'sportswashing' is just a western superiority position for me. Hosting the F1 would appeal to them for the exact same reasons it would appeal to Britain.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So more than a billion quid away and a change in UEFA rules needed to complete the deal? Sounds quite complicated
£5bn and RB Leipzig/RB Salzburg

Done

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How gigantic do we reckon the war chest will be in the summer? :drool:
Big enough that we could tempt City into selling us Haaland when they get relegated for cheating :drool:

cyberman

So more than a billion quid away and a change in UEFA rules needed to complete the deal? Sounds quite complicated
My rule of thumb is to believe the story that broke over a follow up from someone else. If they knew they’d have broken it first.
its all very copying homework to me. Price slightly smaller, the rule barrier being played up a bit more

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
According to who? Who told you that is their agenda? So what is the motivation for a Western country trying to get a World Cup, for instance? Is the immediate assumption that it could only possibly be to I dunno, deflect, away from any sort of negative perception of their country? Or are they immediately separated from each other because 'it's not the same thing' (obviously).

Qatar, like ANY other country, are using sports to advance their country in the same way that ANY other country would want to use it to advance theirs. The immediate surmising that any progressiveness from the ME is 'sportswashing' is ridiculous and xenophobic in and of itself to me. It's saying that the ME should be identified solely by their rightful position in the world as evil barbarians and shouldn't try and 'buy their way into the light'. My point is, your definition of them is likely not the same as their own of themselves. They are simply a sovereign state, with leaders who have the responsibility to do what they feel is best for their country. If your conclusion that Britain bidding for the Olympics in 2012 was not an effort to 'wash' away any stigma held about them from Iraqi invasion, then I see zero reason for Qatar hosting a World Cup or daring to try and do something good for their country being dismissed as such. I'm sure you took Iraqi invasion and Olympics 2012 to be totally disconnected.

Qatar would not be doing anything to 'repair a tarnished reputation', they would be making moves to grow their country just as anyone else would. What you choose to think of them is up to you. In the grand scheme of things, why would they give a shit about whether you agree with their policies or not anyway? The only way it would affect them is that you may choose to not go there on holiday and contribute to tourism. Which is a right that you still reserve whether or not they own United.

This sportswashing thing just says 'we have labelled you as the evil bad guys, stop trying to confuse things by doing anything good. We've already decided not to like you, please make it easy for us by only killing people'. Perhaps if they make a medicinal breakthrough you would be like 'there you go again trying to not accept who you are'. Even taking your statement at its most literal, clearly you have an issue with a nation wanting to repair its reputation.

They are telling you that there is more to their country to homophobia and anything else you don't like, but you have a problem with them being associated with anything other than that, clearly. Who are you to decide that is all they're good for? Do you think Arabs agree with a country where men wear makeup and tight dresses, change genders, get into drunken and drug fuelled debauchery? Probably not, but yet they still come here for the bits they like. They still engage in the sports, still do business. That is because clearly that is not all they associate with Western states. There is good and bad, and people need to accept that there is good and bad in Qatar and ME states. If you choose to not engage with them at all on the basis of the bits that you don't like, it is of course your own right - but they still have a country to run and develop, and there's no reason why they shouldn't look to do so without everything being done from the context of the things you don't agree with.

I've said before in this thread - Qatar just hosted a whole World Cup. They did NOTHING to conceal the fact that they despise homosexuality and drunkards, for example. In front of the cameras, they banned pro-LGBT displays and banned alcohol. They are not as invested in how you view their views on these things as you think. They simply said this is how we do things, now we'll get on with the business of hosting a great World Cup. Which they did. You could choose not to go, that's fine. But they didn't pretend that they were not anti-LGBT so that you could come and like them. But because they are not pro-LGBT also didn't mean that they should not get on with doing what is right for their country and putting on a great show.

The dismissal or simplification of ME sports projects as 'sportswashing' is just a western superiority position for me. Hosting the F1 would appeal to them for the exact same reasons it would appeal to Britain.
Well said.

Suv666

£5bn and RB Leipzig/RB Salzburg

Done
Well when you put it like that.

Among the ME options the fecking PSG owners are the worst.

Flexing their cash just for the sake of it buying your Messis and Neymars as well as interfering with manager’s choices.
I hope someone else bids.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It really wouldn't. We've been winning shit long before any new owners show up. It's not the same as Burnley winning the CL.
Absolutely, our global brand and appeal isn't built on us being lottery winners. I don't think that much would even change with our transfer policy, we already spend ridiculous amounts of money, we drop £100m on someone pretty much every other season. The big difference is likely to come from stadium/training facility upgrades and academy investments, which is where the club is sorely falling behind.

Abizzz

Some are of the opinion it was the worst world cup in their life time.

justsomebloke

We should start taking names. When we win the league, pipping the scousers on the very last day -- then proceed to beat Real Madrid in the finals of the CL a week later, I would be interested to see what those folks on the high chairs will be saying.
Maybe we could start by dropping the "high chairs" nonsense, as if any outlook beyond delivering titles represented a frivolous descent into irrelevant side issues. Also, the phrase you're probably looking for is "high horses". Unless you're talking about people in bars.

Here's a question: What are most United fans saying, here and elsewhere, about City? And why would not the same sentiments apply to United, if we end up with the same setup? When I read that, it doesn't look to me like most United fans don't care how City got to where they are, and it doesn't look to me like they think these things ought not to matter to fans.

sglowrider

Big enough that we could tempt City into selling us Haaland when they get relegated for cheating :drool:
Its probably in his contract:

Clause 2.1: I will not fecking play in the Championship in the event that you lied about the finances and cheated for 8 years and counting. This will null & void the contract. I will be off one the free.

Please initial here ...............

LordSpud

As someone already pointed out, thr 2 Red Bull clubs should fall into the same thing I guess. Regarding the valuation, if I had £366 and I had to spend an extra quid to get something I wanted it wouldnt bother me much.

MUFC OK

Can’t help but feel this is bollox speculation. Jamie Jackson was no way near this yesterday and now he’s privy to the opening bid etc. Just nonsense as usual based on the fact most transactions are subject to a degree of negotiation.

cyberman

We should start taking names. When we win the league, pipping the scousers on the very last day -- then proceed to beat Real Madrid in the finals of the CL a week later, I would be interested to see what those folks on the high chairs will be saying.
Almost as if sport washing works?

peridigm

How gigantic do we reckon the war chest will be in the summer? :drool:
ETH is already building something special. He won't want to upset that process by inserting Chelsea level buys into the squad.
I would imagine we'll sign 3, maybe 4 at most.
CF, MF, GK, and a RB.

When I type it out, it just does't seem enough so who knows. We could have an LVG window.

Suv666

Can’t help but feel this is bollox speculation. Jamie Jackson was no way near this yesterday and now he’s privy to the opening bid etc. Just nonsense as usual based on the fact most transactions are subject to a degree of negotiation.
Jamie Jackson is not a total bullshiter though. I remember he called the Lukaku transfer months ago and everyone laughed it off. Not sure how reliable he is these days but he does have some connects within the club.

MUFC OK

Jamie Jackson is not a total bullshiter though. I remember he called the Lukaku transfer months ago and everyone laughed it off. Not sure how reliable he is these days but he does have some connects within the club.
Not saying he is, but I’m certainly not taking this update as gospel. Sounds like an educated guess re negotiations.

sglowrider

ETH is already building something special. He won't want to upset that process by inserting Chelsea level buys into the squad.
I would imagine we'll sign 3, maybe 4 at most.
CF, MF, GK, and a RB.

When I type it out, it just does't seem enough so who knows. We could have an LVG window.
Anyway ETH has the final say so on who comes into his team. Its up to him if he thinks he needs a Harlem globetrotter squad or some that's built to his system.

pseudo_canadian

After what is happening with City, I see some people wanting to stay away from Middle East owners.

There is a reason Man City was 500m or whatever it cost and United is 4-6bn. Man City is a small club and they tried to force it to become a big club.

If you are buying an established big club, you do not need to carry out financial fraud, we are already generating interest from big sponsors around the world.

Revenue streams are up there already, with a takeover and hopefully better results on the pitch, that will increase anyway.

The owners can concentrate on investing in the infrastructure whilst the club debt free can run itself and buy big players.
Thank you, sensible post. United is already a commercial goliath in terms of generating its own revenue - new owners won’t need to illegally pump in money to keep the lights on. If you take out the debt saddled on by the Glazers, the club is more than self sufficient to operate with its own income. Any new investments made will largely be to various infrastructures of the club, which we all know is in dire need of attention and generally behind other top clubs.

MUFC OK

Btw there’s a difference having an issue with ME ownership and having an issue with irresponsible relentless spending by a club in the transfer market and bending FFP rules by inflating sponsorships etc. My issue with City has always been the latter.

Seems like the two inextricably tied by some.

Chief123

Exciting times. I fully expect Mbappe and Haaland to arrive in the summer followed by buying out Endrick’s contract with Real Madrid and awaiting his arrival in 2024. :drool:

Abizzz

Well, have fewer constraints weighing us down by then. No debt and no Woodward. If the ME parties are involved, there will be less of pressure to attain some sort of ROI in the short/medium run.
The return on investment isn't monetary for them. It's controlling what is being said about them and it will be instant.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The media landscape is much less tabloid here. If they did report on a story like this with their own sources, then it would pretty much be confirmation.

I’d say this story is either not as advanced, or not as concrete, as the Caf seems to believe it is at this stage.
Thanks for sharing that perspective. Always good to hear from people on the other end of the speculation. Rather than just the English sports media, which lives for sensationalism. Let's see where it goes from here.

Chief123

Btw there’s a difference having an issue with ME ownership and having an issue with irresponsible relentless spending by a club in the transfer market and bending FFP rules by inflating sponsorships etc. My issue with City has always been the latter.
It comes down to either having owners that abide by the rules or having owners that cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.